Which game will end up as Playstation's best selling game of all time by end of this gen?

• God of War

Votes: 150 10.8%
  • Spider-man

Votes: 579 41.6%
  • Last of Us Part 2

Votes: 662 47.6%

• Total voters

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
God of War has been selling incredibly well since release. Having sold over 5 million in a month it is already the fastest selling Playstation exclusive of all time. By the end of this generation it will have likely outsold all the other major Playstation exclusives including Uncharted, Gran Turismo and with a potential remaster during the PS5 gen likely even Last of Us.

The new direction has resulted in God of War seeing huge growth in European markets where it has traditionally been very weak compared to NA. The PS4 version will probably end up in the 14 million range for this gen.

Lets be honest while I think critically, games like Dreams or Death Stranding could potentially do better, commercially they will not be doing these numbers.

So really the only two games left this gen that are serious competitors to dethrone God of War commercially are Spider-man and Last of Us 2.

Does anyone think any of these games will stand a chance? I am going out on a limb and say that Spidey will not come close to God of War's LTD. I just do not see it doing 1.9 million in its opening month NPD nor do I see massive traction in Europe. It will do phenomenally well of course but I dont think Spidey has the same pull in the gaming world like God of War does.

Last of Us 2 however is interesting. It has sold over 17 million copies and has had incredible word of mouth so no doubt it is going to open big. I dont think it is going to do as well in North America as God of War but ND's games have a much stronger following in Europe and will most likely outperform God of War there and offset the differences in NA.

I am going with Last of Us Part 2 dethroning God of War but God of War's sequel taking the mantle back.

Thought it will be fun to see what Era thinks?

Which game do you think is going to dethrone the God as Playstation's best selling game of all time

Spidey

TSwb8mf.gif

( Credit to Sunhilegend )

OR

Last of Us Part 2

YFFP314.gif

or neither of them.

Last edited:

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU will do it easily. 10-12 Million copies for sure. Spidey will do great, and move many PS4 console units.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Spider-Man easily could. It's rated T so it already has a huge advantage of accessing kids, it's a new story and not a continuation of a series (granted GoW was more standalone but still), it's Marvel, and it's the most iconic hero out there right now.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Both have a chance to commercially. In fact I suspect it's very likely they both outsell GoW.

Critically? TLOU only. I don't see Spider-Man having a 94+ meta.

Edit: for some reason I read the thread title as "critically and commercially" idk why lol

Oct 25, 2017
TLoU > Spider-Man > God of War

Spider-Man's position will depend on a 90+ meta. I think the casual surge can lift Spider-Man above God of War. It is possible for Spider-Man to not do as well as God of War up front, but I think it will have even better legs than God of War regardless of whether it sells more up front or not. TLoU will make both look cute.

All three (or rather, the other two) will be massive successes either way.

Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman has the potential to attract the casual market.

Thats the key to this.

Whether Spidey will though is the question.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I think Spider-Man's overall popularity transcends way beyond games and may get a lot of "casual" CoD/NBA 2K players to pick it up, something I don't think they'd do for God of War.

It all depends on the reviews though.

(also, don't take "casuals" as an insult there. I just mean a lot of people only buy a couple games a year, and most of the time it's those two.)

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Last of Us 2 totally can, but not sure about Spidey. Its not like superhero games have set the chart on fire despite being all the rage now. It will be a major hit nonetheless.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
The Last of Us 2 will be the best-selling PS4 exclusive, or second-best behind Spider-Man at worst
Do not underestimate the power of Naughty Gods

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
I think Spider-Man has more of a for everybody audience small children included so im a go with that

Last of Us more mature and graphic violence

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with Spiderman but I wouldn't be surprised by any of those choices coming out on top, no real upset there.

GTAV will end up being the number one game sold on PS4 LTD anyway ;)

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
TLOU 2 will easily dethrone it. 15 million minimum on PS4 alone.

Spider-man will open at a lower volume, but will have better legs and end up performing similarly to GoW.

PS4 editions:

TLOU 2: 15 Million
Spiderman: 11 Million
GoW: 12 Million

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's spelt Spider-Man and not Spider-man. I really hope the person who's doing the OT is aware of that.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
A real good Spider-Man game in the super hero boom is going to do really welll the game has alot of merchandise and the might of Sony and Marvel behind it too.

Not to mention the nice bundle

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Looks like People have high expectations for Spider-Man. Don't know about sales of others games from the IP, was it that good ?
Tlous 1 show us how good the series can sell, so I would vote for tlous 2

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I am very surprised at the number of votes for Spidey. Its not like Asylum or City sold insane numbers on the back of Nolan's movies so I am not really sure the MCU craze will translate into sales that outpace God of War. We shall see but at least in NA I do not see Spider-Man opening to God of War's numbers.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even though Spider-Man is a bigger IP by a long shot, I don't think it will do much better than GoW. Probably about the same.

Last of Us would probably do better.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I understand even Activisions bad Spiderman games sold very well. I think the reality is that most aren't use to a non-gaming mass media IP being exclusive to a platform, especially Spidey. Not only will it be rated Teen it'll have all of Sony's marketing money funneling into it. Also the gaming world is insigificant, Just Dance with middling reviews had fantastic sales. Do not underestimate kids asking their parents for Spiderman.

Even if the game was bad it could still sell well, but at what we're expecting in quality it will probably lap (edit/clarification: lap in sales not game quality) God of War fairly quickly. Something has to go way wrong for it not be Sony's highest selling game of all time. Europe will fall for its narrative, the US loves Spidey, and really every other territory will have something that draws a large audience.

SpiderMan is Sony's home run and they know it. It'll be the highest selling exclusive for this generation and possibly for awhile until a sequel next gen.

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Spiderman would easily do that. It has a big name and got good reception so far

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I think some people may be seriously underestimating the commercial titan that is Spider-Man. I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man becomes Sony's fastest selling exclusive of all time. I'd love to see where the merchandise numbers are at these days but at one point Spider-Man was more profitable than The Avengers, Batman, AND Superman COMBINED.

Marvel_vs_DC_Licensing_Chart.jpg

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
From what I understand even Activisions bad Spiderman games sold very well. I think the reality is that most aren't use to a non-gaming mass media IP being exclusive to a platform, especially Spidey. Not only will it be rated Teen it'll have all of Sony's marketing money funneling into it. Also the gaming world is insigificant, Just Dance with middling reviews had fantastic sales. Do not underestimate kids asking their parents for Spiderman.

Even if the game was bad it could still sell well, but at what we're expecting in quality it will probably lap (edit/clarification: lap in sales not game quality) God of War fairly quickly. Something has to go way wrong for it not be Sony's highest selling game of all time. Europe will fall for its narrative, the US loves Spidey, and really every other territory will have something that draws a large audience.

SpiderMan is Sony's home run and they know it. It'll be the highest selling exclusive for this generation and possibly for awhile until a sequel next gen.

I only own a PS4 but I still don't know how it got to be exclusive

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Looks like People have high expectations for Spider-Man. Don't know about sales of others games from the IP, was it that good ?
Tlous 1 show us how good the series can sell, so I would vote for tlous 2
Sales of past games mean nothing.

Just like Batman's performance across multiple platforms has no bearings to Spiderman's ceiling.

Exclusive games can and frequently outsell multiplatform games.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
My order would be TLou2 > Spidey > GoW. The first Last of Us was such a huge hit and now I'd imagine 2 will sell even better thanks to sequels typically selling better but also because of the positive buzz the first one generated. Spidey is going to do insane numbers as well since it's really the first major console marvel game in god knows how long.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
I think Spidey is underestimated. As an IP, it's coming off of it's own successful movie and a run in the most popular movie of this year, nevermind the game achieving a T rating unlike either God of War or TLoU 2 (presumably) will be able to accomplish. This opens it up to a much wider market as parents which may (rightfully so) think twice about buying a M rated game may much more casually purchase a T rated game. Furthermore, Spidey is one of the most popular 'comic book' heroes and seems to be universally known.

At this point the final step is the game actually being good and reviewing well. I do think that whether it scores in the 80s or 90s won't matter to it's ability to push consoles or be popular, but a 90+ rated game would likely dethrone God of War.

Apophis

Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Spider-Man will be Sony's best selling exclusive of all time. People underestimate the power of that franchise. It will be huge

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I really don't think The Last of Us will attract the same numbers Spider-Man will.

Critically it should do better, but the mass market appeal of a Spider-Man game for all ages is huge.

Not to mention TLOU2 being end of generation, though if PS5 is backward compatible that won't matter.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only own a PS4 but I still don't know how it got to be exclusive
I think the running theory is that somewhere in the deal for Disney to get Spidey film rights, Sony got a lot in return including all of its Star Wars marketing deals. We do know that Adam Boyes made it happen and he as alluded around this before (though off the top of my head I don't know where I'd find the interview or tweet to back up the allusion). At the last E3 he was with Sony John V repeatedly said during the giant bomb interview Adam made Spidey happen.