Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I have a doctor's appointment on Friday which means i'll also have to go out in it to get my scripts. Not looking forward to it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only time I've ever gone out to buy anything on Thanksgiving was when my wife caught the flu on Thanksgiving a few years ago, and I had to run out to Walgreens to get her medicine. But outside of that there's no way I would ever shop retail on Thanksgiving, nor walk into a store on Black Friday. I do not have fond memories of having to be at Best Buy or Circuit City at 3 am just to open at 5 am and work 17 hour shifts selling video games to rude people.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
absolutely not, I most definitely will forget something even if I made a list and checked it 15 times.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. If we keep shopping on Thanksgiving, they will eventually start the sales the day before Thanksgiving. Also, it's a great excuse to get people out of your house after dinner/leave wherever you are after dinner. Just say you have to go shopping.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Also if online shopping, avoid Amazon.

www.resetera.com

The Atlantic: Ruthless Quotas at Amazon Are Permanently Maiming Employees

I know most people have by now made their decisions on where and what to buy for the coming holiday shopping season, but it bears repeating the tremendous human cost of doing so with Amazon specifically. I'm going to extensively quote what is a lengthy article but we now live in a new age of...

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Yeah easily. I don't do it and never will. Same with Black Friday itself. Cyber Monday OTOH . . .

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
i deliver groceries for a living and today is a great day to get orders because people are cooking or entertaining family (or just enjoying the day off..... or just being lazy lol) and dont want to leave the house. I made like $120 this morning.

so no

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Man, I'm actually catching complicated feelings on this.

Generally, if stores shut back down on Thanksgiving, I would agree with it and feel comfortable. I've never shopped on Thanksgiving and I'm not planning to today.

But as someone increasingly separated from family, I personally have a dimmer view on the end-of-year holidays. I'm not going to change my behavior and shop, but I find the holidays less sacred than others.

My personal animus aside, some people also find the holidays... boring, less-than-special or even eerie (my bustling city feels like a horror movie scene when everyone's indoors). That kind of person may really want to be somewhere other than home and behold, restaurants, malls and other shops are open!

Besides that, casual travel and tourism are part of the holiday tradition for some - so, some commerce is inevitable. People visit the city for thanksgiving or Christmas, and they're going to eat somewhere.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Come on y'all, they'll only keep doing this if the numbers support it.
The fun part of Black Friday was waking up early or staying up late to go to Walmart at 5 am.
those days are gone.
you can go the night before or just buy things online.
so let's just buy things online.
or go on Friday.
Retail employees don't really have leverage when it comes to declining the schedule.
Let's help them out.
Thanksgiving is a beautiful holiday, and they're ruining it.

let's not shop thanksgiving day.
who's with me

I support the sentiment but I'm pessimistic you'll get enough people to agree to convince stores not to open thanksgiving. I try not to shop at stores that open on Thanksgivign day myself but I doubt it will change :(.

By the way, even shopping online affects some people. Got a friend who works at Amazon who is on call in case something happens to their website. And then you get all the people working their wharehouses cause people expect them to keep shipping stuff even though it's a holiday (even more so cause it's online it's easier to forget there are still people that make the store work).

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
When I was working at Walgreens, I hated when people apologized to me for the fact that I had to work on holidays.

Bitch, I wouldn't have to work if you didn't create the demand for it by being here.

I usually just thank them for working on that day. At least let them know I appreciate that they are there (I only try to shop at grocery stores on Thanksgiving though and only for the last minute crap we forgot but I am very thankful they are open thanksgiving morning).