• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"Let's go boys!"
"Looks like I'm drinking tonight boys"
And so on...

And other ways to address the room in threads.

Some of us already feel excluded at the best of times, can you please stop addding to that noise?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well I can understand if it's a room full of guys otherwise I just use "folks". Surprisingly, on a tangent, I have always found how the meme "Good boy" to refer to dogs a touch irksome. Surely there are "Good girls" out there too.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
does anyone say boys other than that Saturday is for the boys meme

I don't think ive ever been called boys in a group situation

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Guys is gender specific.

For two months now I've been volunteering in a primary school in a teaching assistant capacity, whenever I want the kids to listen to me, I always use 'guys'. Teacher and official teaching assistant have never pulled me up on it and use it themselves to mean everybody.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
y'all will always sound too immature to me :\

I pretty much say stuff like "OK everyone" when I want to address room full of people.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've had women and trans women insist to me that "dude" isn't actually gendered when I asked, so idk.

One trans friend of mines says they don't mind guys and dudes, another says it makes them feel excluded.

I think the latter is enough for our consideration.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
This is why in discord I just shitpost announcements with a couple things like FOLKS, FAM, FRIENDS, FELLOW DEGENERATES all at once.

I mean this unironically.

Oct 25, 2017
I try not to do it even to the point of avoiding "Boy, I wish I had preordered that game" or whatever, even though that's not addressing anyone in particular. I also try to use "they". I hope these efforts help.

I've had women and trans women insist to me that "dude" isn't actually gendered when I asked, so idk.
My wife calls other women "dude" so I don't know. Maybe the usage is evolving.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I always thought of it as just a saying. Most girls I know enter rooms (and online parties) saying things like that and "What's up, guys." I don't mean to sound rude or anything but is that really something that bothers people? Never though anyone would feel excluded by a regular saying.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say y'all or guys. I know guys isn't gender neutral but sometimes IDC

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
OK MOTHERFUCKERS

Sounds like a good idea. I try to be gender neutral, but I think I say "guys" sometimes.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
For two months now I've been volunteering in a primary school in a teaching assistant capacity, whenever I want the kids to listen to me, I always use 'guys'. Teacher and official teaching assistant have never pulled me up on it and use it themselves to mean everybody.

I don't like it.
Trans people I know don't like it.
It makes us feel excluded sometimes.
You will probably meet people who feel this way about you using it and won't ever tell you.

You can take that as you want to.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i do say "you guys" sometimes out of habit

it's easier on the internet to moderate your speech to be inclusive. when talking in real life, sometimes you'll speak out before fully thinking it through

but that will probably pass over time

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bring it up with the person saying it? If someone feels excluded then they should speak up or ask someone to speak for them if they cannot.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It is. Some accept it, but many don't.

It's hard to keep track of.

I use both guys and dudes to call my family - and that consists of my wife and three daughters. I've always considered those words (mostly) gender neutral.

I'd sooner stick with something a little more colloquial than referring to a room of people as fellow human beings.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope,

If you have a problem with a a term that has neutral to little gender assignment to it, I think I'd feel pretty comfortable addressing your group as "Kids".

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Oddly the old south is gender neutral with yall and the north gender biased with yous guys.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to keep track of.

I use both guys and dudes to call my family - and that consists of my wife and three daughters. I've always considered those words (mostly) gender neutral.

I'd sooner stick with something a little more colloquial than referring to a room of people as fellow human beings.

It's not that hard.

Is the word rooted in gender specificity?

That's it.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
One trans friend of mines says they don't mind guys and dudes, another says it makes them feel excluded.

I think the latter is enough for our consideration.

I think it honestly depends on the crowd. It's important to know your friends, yea?

edit - I prefer y'all though

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Idk if I want to play this game. There's no standard. I know too many women that use the same gendered "guys!" to their friends. I hear a lot of "bruhs" too when referring to men and women.

So yeah, I'll just let others correct me if that occurs and adjust on the fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.