• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is the story of Frequency "Freq" Vibrations.

Livin' Da Dream is the story mode of NBA 2K16, written by Spike Lee. Now I haven't seen any of his films honestly, and I really need to get around to that, but generally I view him as a good writer from what I've heard of his work.

Livin' Da Dream is an utterly baffling story, though, and I recently re-watched the Super Best Friend's LP of the story mode and, well, I'm left scratching my head. And I don't think you can go "Spike Lee had trouble adapting to a video game!", because none of the issues I have with the plot are anything to do with the game elements. To be honest, the story basically ignores the results of the actual basketball games you do play, and it isn't an open-ended narrative that has to adapt to player choices, no, the narrative is super straight-forward.

One thing that baffles me is the story uses your CAC. But unlike most games with CACs, it basically does everything you DON'T want to do in that situation. Like, it gives you a fraternal twin, both of your parents are alive and constantly appear on screen, and your character has a set personality, beliefs, and goals. Even more confusing is the character is known as "Freq" by the narrative, which at first you assume, oh, they give him a nickname as they can't voice the name you give him but, NOPE, Frequency Vibrations is literally his name, so I guess the name you gave him is the nickname? But you give him a first and last name, so that's weird.

I feel like Spike Lee wanted to have a set character design for this plot, but 2K stepped in---because of maybe racism? Well, basically, your CAC can be white, which comes across as quite odd, because it's clear it's a narrative written from a black perspective. I mean, it's Spike Lee, and it's a story about a basketball player from Harlem. So, if you play as a white guy, things are---off? Especially as you can't even go with the idea that the CAC was adopted, because you have a twin sister and black parents, and that would mess with the narrative conceit of your friend being jealous of you for having your birth parents alive. My theory? Spike Lee wanted a black protagonist. 2K feared white folks would get mad (see San Andreas), so tossed in perhaps the entire CAC element to appease fans. The Super Best Friends went with a black protagonist, and even though it was based on a meme character of theirs I actually thought the main character is pretty strong and well mocapped. But then I watched a version with a white dude, and, well, it's odd. So, yeah, it sucks what could've been one of the few black narratives in gaming was erased to probably appease insecure gamers.

Beyond that though, the plot is pretty weak and a bit cliche. It kind of plays around with some expected archetypes? Like the overzealous agent is an over-the-top sleaze ball, but never does anything bad as far as we see, and they also introduce the girlfriend out of nowhere like we're supposed to think of her as a goldigger but, hey, she does care. But, like, it's oddly halfhearted throughout. There's like one quick scene of the girlfriend interacting with the player one-on-one, so it's a bit cheesy when the reveal that she's a good person on the inside. None of the characters are particularly interesting, and pretty flat. But they're not unlikable. Personally, the actors give some great performances and I was impressed with a lot of the mocap.

But...there's the ending. Oh boy. Spike Lee FUCKS UP. Basically, throughout the plot there's a character named Victor Van Lier, who is like Eric Sparrow. He grew up with Freq, but basically uses his fame to his own advantage. He even tries to get with his girl. Everyone around Freq is like, DUDE, cut him off. He's pissing off Freq's teammates. Eventually, he straight up blackmails Freq. And then he dies. "Tragically", I guess, but it's said he was in a car chase so it's likely he pissed folks off by being a sleaze ball.

BUT THEN, at the very end GHOST VICTOR VAN LIER (you can tell because he's wearing a white hoodie) sits on a bench and reads directly to the audience from a notepad. Basically, he tells us that he had a loving mother who taught him to see people as more than objects (he sees people as objects), and when his parents died of AIDS (which he used to make Freq feel bad earlier), he was adopted by Freq's amazing family. Basically, he died a complete piece of shit, and in his ghostly confession basically tells us that he had amazing role models all around. So, yeah, I guess we're supposed to feel sorry for him but he never makes amends. He dies, and then tries to make us feel sorry for him? Like, at no point in the entire plot does he do anything positive. The last scene he's in has him blackmailing his best friend. Fuck you Vic.

Also Spike Lee appears in the narrative interviewing the characters for some reason.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Frequency Vibrations is a nickname from what I remember. You give the character a real name and are able to change the nickname after the story IIRC.

2k16 was the first time they tried to have a big story for My Player and it shows.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Ever since adding this story shit, it makes the first season of your MyCareer a chore. That and the fact you need micro transactions to make your player good doesn't help.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since adding this story shit, it makes the first season of your MyCareer a chore. That and the fact you need micro transactions to make your player good doesn't help.
I feel like they got better with it this year from what I've seen. VC is better than it was the previous years and they added the ability to skip cutscenes.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Frequency Vibrations is a nickname from what I remember. You give the character a real name and are able to change the nickname after the story IIRC.

2k16 was the first time they tried to have a big story for My Player and it shows.
No the mother says she named him that because he listened to reggae music in the womb.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It ruined my career for me that year. I couldn't stand having little to no control of such an already poor story.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
To me the microtransactions part is the worst, either spend the next entire year only playing this or spend $100 to have a good player in the mode. The stories have always been bad but I kinda like them since it gives it some variety.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
This was so hyped up especially the "spike lee joint" branding. It was largely mediocre but 2K16 overall was a good year for the game. The memes though will be eternal in the 2K fanbase and for that it won't be forgotten.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I can't believe they thought it would A) be a good idea and B) that Jonze thought that was competent enough for him

Basically completely erases NBA2K16's career mode and I can't get through it

Oct 27, 2017
Man, fuck baskeyacht. The gf reveal was definitely weird, really was expecting her to be shitty. The ending crying for the friend had no effect on me, glad he was dead.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Oh man they kept it going?

Every year had a "story" thing, last year you started from China, to G-League and then make it to the NBA. But they need to make you have a love interest, you get kicked off the G-League team, betrayed by a guy who became your rival's agent. It's corny as hell. Like, I just wanna play basketball as myself lol

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You forgot the part where your character accidentally killed a guy and Vic took the blame in your characters backstory

And the weird part where it seems like your sister is being racist about your girlfriend

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I sincerely, sincerely hope they one day get another Spike Lee joint done for this series.

It was a wonderful, halfway competent and halfway WILD disaster and I love it for that.

Oct 27, 2017
I think this game was on PS Plus or really cheap or something and so I have it on my PS4. I really wanted to go through the story to see how much of a mess it is, but I apparently suck at basketball videogames. Granted I haven't played one since the SNES days, but all I could do in this game was get my character to grab his dick or something. It made me laugh, but after awhile I got frustrated and quit. Then when I went back it didn't save my character and I didn't want to start over. Maybe I'll give it another go some day.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
It was so ridiculous that it wrapped around to being unintentionally hilarious.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
I think this game was on PS Plus or really cheap or something and so I have it on my PS4. I really wanted to go through the story to see how much of a mess it is, but I apparently suck at basketball videogames. Granted I haven't played one since the SNES days, but all I could do in this game was get my character to grab his dick or something. It made me laugh, but after awhile I got frustrated and quit. Then when I went back it didn't save my character and I didn't want to start over. Maybe I'll give it another go some day.
Don't worry it's also something weird about the story mode. Your character is supposed to be some sort of genius of Basketball, but on court they literally made him dumb and basically useless. For what it worth, you didn't sucked, it's the game choice to be like that.