AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Okay I know what y'all are thinking, but hear me out. This stems from a conversation I had with a co-worker on our break. The topic of the 2016 election came up and he says, proudly, that he didn't vote. I'm thinking, "bruh are you fucking kidding me?" So I ask him why. He says both Hillary and Trump were equally bad and how he was ride or die for Bernie and didn't vote since he didn't win the primary.

I hate to just assume my black peers would automatically vote Dem to prevent someone like Trump from getting elected, but many of my black friends (not really my friends anymore) just.....didn't vote. And it fucking bothered me. So much that, and a few other things, were big factors in me not fucking with them anymore.

How do y'all feel about people who didn't vote in the 2016 Presidential election? Could y'all still be friends with them after they admit to you that they didn't vote? And this is in the context of meeting someone/talking to them only a few times.

Chadtwo

Oct 29, 2017
You're going to hear the vast majority of people say no, but for me personally it wouldn't be an absolute disqualifier.

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
If somebody didn't vote, that's their choice. I have a few friends who didn't vote, I was pretty incredulous when they told me. But when they have the nerve to complain about stuff, I shut that down immediately. Don't sit here and complain when you didn't care enough to vote. You had a vote to voice yourself, you chose not to use it, it's too late to whine about it now.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
A vote is only as good as the intentions of the candidate when they actually hold the position.

We can't control people and money is a hell of a motivator.

Im not going to press people who don't interact with the bullshit system, but I don't really expect those people to have loud opinions on stuff either.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I mean it also really depends on where you live, like in a place it doesn't really matter that much like California or here in Idaho. But more than likely yes I could, because it's possible to be friends with someone and think they are stupid for things they do.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i will be friend with them, but ill be damned if I will sit and listen to them cry.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have family members that choose not to vote. They also choose not to care about what happens in the news. That is their right and I am no one tell them how to live their lives.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah I'll be friends with them, but I'll trll them to stfu if complain but are they aren't willing to put in any work to make a difference

Francois Dillinger

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2018
only people i cut off completely are trump supporters from the jump.

the ones i know didn't vote have learned their lesson. i can even get being ambivalent. but besides that, they're not bad people worth cutting off.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean it depends if they were in a competitive state. California obviously isn't a swing state and some people I know voted third party.

If you didn't vote at all and you're in a swing state, then yeah you kind of gave up the privilege of having anyone care about your opinion on politics. I don't think I would never be friends with them if they make up for it in other ways.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes because I understand if you live in a state where your vote doesn't matter. Texas, New York, California.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I could be. Voting in the state I do at times feels like a waste of time. However, this November a democrat may be the senator of TN so I'm trying to convince everyone I know. Even the ones that do not vote.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I have friends that voted and some that didn't vote. Doesn't make a difference to me.

Released

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be all that disappointed because I live in a deep red state. If you chose not to vote, I'm probably going to like you more than the majority of other people who actively voted for our idiot president. If I lived in a swing state or the results were based on popular vote, then it might make me more angry.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
We can be friends, but if you complain about the political situation I will quickly remind you that you don't have the right to do that since you don't participate.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course I can be friends with somebody who participated in the civic choice to not vote. My best friend didn't. He didn't like either candidate, and of course, thought the 3rd party candidates were garbage. I feel like some folks on our side of the isle are too willing to cast out those of whom we dictate, and whom do not follow. If you have principles and neither candidate fit them, and you obstain? I have a hard time not finding validity in that. Of course I made my case with him. But he made sense to me. I of course did my part. But I feel like he did his too. And no amount of salty, judgmental liberal in me is going to invalidate his concerns. Get a better fucking candidate.

So no I don't cast out folks because they made a choice.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hand out a questionnaire to anyone that might prospectively want to be friends with me.

If you don't score at least 45/50 correct answers in subjects including politics, culture, the arts and internet forum drama, I will leave you with a hearty handshake but not the coveted prize of my friendship.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course I can, it's their choice to whether they want to vote or not. Plus even if they had voted, it doesn't necessary mean that they would for the same person as you would.

I myself didn't vote till 2016.

Diunx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both candidates were absolute shit, if I were American I probably wouldn't have voted either.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I recognize that neither Trump nor Clinton put up platforms that would affect neither my friends nor myself too much. That plus we are in a state that is predominantly blue.

Would still be disappointed in them, though. Was kinda disappointed my friends didn't vote in the primary election a couple months back. I'll probably annoy them a bit about midterms later this year.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm marrying someone who didn't vote. (Illinois is a solid blue state).

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Uh yes. There is no mandate to vote. It would be nice if all my friends voted but I'm not gonna fucking cut anyone out because they didn't. On what basis?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah, id much rather have someone not vote than vote for Donald. Plus most people don't actually research who they're voting for anyway

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they don't want to talk about it.

Being forced to talk politics with people who don't vote is like:
3RNm.gif

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't care a bit.

Had this thread not been made I wouldn't have even considered the proposition of ending my friendship with a person because they didn't vote. Like, I would have never thought of that as an option.
I'd like to believe that some friendships run too deep for that kind of bullshit thought process.

But I'll remember to tell all my friends that if they don't vote next time that we're through forever. That'll be fun.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Most people I know don't vote sad to say. I call them out on it. They still don't vote. At least they aren't voting for Trump I guess.

OP
OP
AnansiThePersona

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Uh yes. There is no mandate to vote. It would be nice if all my friends voted but I'm not gonna fucking cut anyone out because they didn't. On what basis?

For me it's not exactly that you just didn't vote. In my case it was two things:

1. Person brags about not voting and/or reason for voting was "both sides" rhetoric

2. Person doesn't vote and goes on to complain about the GOP and the bullshit Trump does.

If you just didn't vote, I can live with that. But in my case people fell into one of those two camps.

Mar 10, 2018
I definitely understand why some black people wouldn't automatically tap-dance for the Democrats. Even moreso when you consider Hillary's past comments and actions concerning black people. Personally, I wouldn't hold it against them. But I would also tell them that what they did was in their worst interest.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Americans worry about american issues, but Hillary has a LOT of blood in her hands just Syria alone is a bigger crime than anything that Trump has done, just because it didn't happen in America doesn't mean that it didn't happen at all.
Kids are in fucking cages, families are being ripped apart, Nazis increasingly validated by the federal government, and you're trying to pull some "both sides" shit? Nobody is calling Clinton anything more than a flawed (at best) candidate, but there was a fucking clear distinction Trump was a fucking cancer.