Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Voting is mandatory in Australia. So i think it would be pretty difficult to find somebody who refused to vote.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean to those that say no yea realize you are posting on a forum that has an admin that didn't vote

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If myself or the people I cared about were being threatened by some genuinely fucking evil candidates, and my friends responded with a shrug, I would question what the fuck that friendship is worth.
Maybe they've become disillusioned with the electoral system in general and feel that neither party truly cares about the common well-being of the people?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Maybe they've become disillusioned with the electoral system in general and feel that neither party truly cares about the common well-being of the people?
If we're talking US politics, which party was talking about forcing muslims to carry special identification? Or were fine with rhetoric against Mexicans by calling them rapists and murderers? Which party repeatedly blocks any chance of gun legislation in the wake of countless mass shootings? Which is dead set on eliminating social welfare programs?

Your individual disillusionment is worthless when people are being threatened.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If we're talking US politics, which party was talking about forcing muslims to carry special identification? Or were fine with rhetoric against Mexicans by calling them rapists and murderers? Which party repeatedly blocks any chance of gun legislation in the wake of countless mass shootings? Which is dead set on eliminating social welfare programs?

Your individual disillusionment is worthless when people are being threatened.
And how does not voting show that you support those initiatives? If one supported those they'd vote for them, by not voting for them it shows that they don't approve of those policies.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Easily, especially when they live in a state like mine (CT) which is a deep blue state. Same for people who live in deep red states. There are just some places in this country where even with 100% turn out the result wouldn't change.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I will not be friends with someone who consciously refuses to vote. Full stop. I'd have some forgiveness if they claim they just forgot or something I guess. But choosing to not vote? An absolute deal breaker.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes but I'll nag them to vote

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Up until Trump I would have been friends with people who voted R. Its good to have someone you trust to challenge your ideas. Trump really changed that however.

But you know there is an old saying
"Friends, who want to stay friends, dont discuss religion or politics".

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
In all honesty at the end of the day it probably wouldn't matter to me. I don't even like talking politics with my friends as it is. Just makes me angry and frustrated.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Of course I could.

At the same time, I would question the intelligence of someone who still thinks that Clinton would have been as bad as Trump, and I'm not in the habit of being friends with dumb people.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think I could hold that grudge.

Then again, I live in Canada, so the stakes are dramatically less high.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
How? It's showing that they don't support either policies, instead of being forced to choose between two that they don't agree with they choose to support neither.
Again, which party built a platform of outright white supremacy, threatening immigrants and minorities, an active attempt to further harm the poor by removing safety nets and protections for less privalaged, and callous dismissal of the need for gun reform?

So in the face of that, do you think not voting is going to help push back against those policies?

Not voting is not an abstaining of responsibility.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Of course I would be friends with someone who didn't vote. But I wouldn't take them seriously about anything if they complained about their provincial and/or federal leader.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna immediately write someone off as a friend because they're too stupid to vote. I'll just be extremely disappointed in them

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I don't care if you vote, don't vote, republican, democrat, indepedant or any of anyone's political views or lack thereof as long as they are a good person.

I don't know why anyone would care or wouldn't be a friend with someone because they didn't vote. Seems like an incredibly trivial thing to write someone off.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I try to keep political views out of my friendship. I know politics is a huge part of our lives, but it ruins friendships when peoples political views are so vastly different. I've seen friends hate each other, over their views. Keep that shit away from friendships unless you truly know their views are either valid or...you know...not insane and racist.

TLDR: Don't bring it up with friends.

EDIT: Also, I don't vote.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people out here being friends with actual racists and you want to draw the line at didn't vote?

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Again, which party built a platform of outright white supremacy, threatening immigrants and minorities, an active attempt to further harm the poor by removing safety nets and protections for less privalaged, and callous dismissal of the need for gun reform?

So in the face of that, do you think not voting is going to help push back against those policies?

Not voting is not an abstaining of responsibility.
I don't see how voting would help push back against those policies, we live in one-day democracies where we vote in candidates and then are just at their mercy and have to hope that they're going to achieve what they promised (and many break their campaign promises). It's not people's job to vote, there are campaigners would work full-time to try to convince people to go out and vote, if even with that they're unsuccessful at mobilizing then we have to look into the bigger picture of why people are so averse to voting. In fact, college-educated people have a higher tendency to vote than people with less education, those who would be more affected by the policies, indicating that they feel that the system isn't designed for them and that their input does not have a meaningful effect. There is also the issue with who do vote for; there are only two viable parties, and so those who are alienated by both have essentially no real options.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Um, yes? I think that's a pretty bizarre line to insist on for a friendship. Tons of people don't vote for all sorts of different reasons. In the US context, I can't imagine how anyone could go through all their friendships to filter out the uh, non-voters.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I don't see how voting would help push back against those policies, we live in one-day democracies where we vote in candidates and then are just at their mercy and have to hope that they're going to achieve what they promised (and many break their campaign promises). It's not people's job to vote, there are campaigners would work full-time to try to convince people to go out and vote, if even with that they're unsuccessful at mobilizing then we have to look into the bigger picture of why people are so averse to voting. In fact, college-educated people have a higher tendency to vote than people with less education, those who would be more affected by the policies, indicating that they feel that the system isn't designed for them and that their input does not have a meaningful effect. There is also the issue with who do vote for; there are only two viable parties, and so those who are alienated by both have essentially no real options.
So the rights of minority groups are threatened and your best response is "huh..."

Gotcha.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be friendly to a person who doesn't vote, but they would probably stay a 'buddy' level for me.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i treat others' politics like their sex life. not saying i won't judge but ultimately you got your shit to deal with and i have mine

Kneecap

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't be friends with someone who couldn't be friends with someone who chose not to vote.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the rights of minority groups are threatened and your best response is "huh..."

Gotcha.
OK, so what is the alternative? Vote for who? Keep in mind, we're talking about people who didn't vote at all, not those that voted for Republicans/Trump, I have a feeling that you consider voting Democrat as the only correct option.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I didn't vote either haha, so who am I to judge. Don't think any of my friends voted either.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
OK, so what is the alternative? Vote for who? Keep in mind, we're talking about people who didn't vote at all, not those that voted for Republicans/Trump, I have a feeling that you consider voting Democrat as the only correct option.
In US politics? Yes. It sure as fuck isnt ideal but the US is built on a 2-party system. Because by any moral standard, there is zero fucking value in the Republican Party.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a coworker that told me she doesnt vote ever because every president has and will have blood on their hands(through war) and she feels that voting makes her an accomplice to that presidents actrocities.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
For me it's not exactly that you just didn't vote. In my case it was two things:

1. Person brags about not voting and/or reason for voting was "both sides" rhetoric

2. Person doesn't vote and goes on to complain about the GOP and the bullshit Trump does.

If you just didn't vote, I can live with that. But in my case people fell into one of those two camps.

People that do both sides are dumb yes. People who complain about a party being shitty but yet didn't vote are annoying yes. But do you talk politics that much that this decideds who you are friends with? Like just tell em to shut up and move on with ya life man.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yes. I didn't vote either haha, so who am I to judge. Don't think any of my friends voted either.
Can I ask why?

As for the OP, no, if someone deliberately thinks "I am not going to vote, I don't believe in it" or whatever that is not an ideology I could really tolerate, I think it speaks to a lack of maturity or clarity of vision to the circumstances we are in. Same reasons I don't knowingly associate with any Republicans, I will not tolerate that ideology in my life, I don't have time for it. Plus I go out of my way to find a way to get everyone I know to the polls, I will legit pick you up and drive your ass there, I will get you an absentee ballot if you qualify. It's one thing if you just can't do it for whatever reason but to say "I will not vote", nah.

Last edited:

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
I hand out a questionnaire to anyone that might prospectively want to be friends with me.

If you don't score at least 45/50 correct answers in subjects including politics, culture, the arts and internet forum drama, I will leave you with a hearty handshake but not the coveted prize of my friendship.

Lmao. The Era way.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Yea just so I can send them to the gulag

Serious answer yea why the fuck does that matter when it comes to friendship

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Not without constantly making fun of them and belittling them when it comes to political issues lol

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If that's all it took to disqualify them as a friend then there are other issues there.