• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
What does cultural impact even mean anymore. How many memes are posted on IG and Reddit?

Just seems like something someone would use to prop up dumb flicks like the MCU rather than have any merit in terms of actual criticism. I'd imagine the people to whom something like that matters might have their shelves at home littered with consumerist cancer like Funko Pops.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
What does cultural impact even mean anymore. How many memes are posted on IG and Reddit? Just seems like something someone would use to prop up dumb flicks like the MCU rather than have any merit in terms of actual criticism.
Pretty sure that's far more often used to dismiss the MCU films than to prop them up, around here for sure.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
lol, why are some of you comparing Avatar to Inception and Michael Clayton as examples? We're all talking about Avatar because it's the #1 grossing movie of all time. Therefore I suggest you use these movies as examples, and you can bet your ass we remember characters names from these movies which comprise the top 10 grossing movies of all time:

Titanic
Force Awakens
Jurassic World
Infinity War
Avengers
Furious 7
Age of Ultron
Black Panther
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Get away from her you bitch
I smell skanks
Mahh Jake
I am human

I can't think of quotes from Lang or Ribisi.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
02d0c17339a95ee9-600x338.png

Sully

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jake
Nytiri

Kind of an overblown thing though, I can't remember anyone's name from Captain Marvel outside of Captain Marvel and Nick Fury because one is the name of the freaking movie and the other character has been in like 7 other movies and is a 50+ year old comic book character. And I just saw that movie two weeks ago, let alone 10 years ago.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Doctor Sigourney Weaver. The medic from Saving Private Ryan being a corporate asshole. Cable in a mecha. Michelle Rodriguez is a character herself. Blue Zoe Saldana.

There OP, not sure what are you trying to prove.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
lol, why are some of you comparing Avatar to Inception and Michael Clayton as examples? We're all talking about Avatar because it's the #1 grossing movie of all time. Therefore I suggest you use these movies as examples, and you can bet your ass we remember characters names from these movies which comprise the top 10 grossing movies of all time:

Titanic
Force Awakens
Jurassic World
Infinity War
Avengers
Furious 7
Age of Ultron
Black Panther
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows
Aside from Titanic, literally all Franchises that spam theaters with movies every year and most cases based on prexisting characters who were already known and established. vs a movie released 10(!) years ago with literally no other form of media released since. These are all media franchises that are crammed into the minds of audiences via sheer forced exposure

And you can't possibly unironically remember anything about those new Jurassic thing movies.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does unobtainum count? I always assumed it was some sentient thing like phazon in the Metroid Prime games instead of some shitty boring metal, though maybe that won't be clear until later movies

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's lots of movies I can't remember names of characters from.

The Hangover was very successful and I saw all three movies, and have seen them on TV even now and again and right now I can only remember ... one character is a Doug I think and I don't even know which one and uh Ken Jeong is ... Chow? And that's it.

Titanic is without question hugely successful and many people have seen it more than many times, but a lot of people out of the blue wouldn't be able to name anyone but Rose and Jack. What's Rose's mothers name?

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember the names of characters from most movies I've seen, but that doesn't mean I don't remember the characters.

Oct 25, 2017
That's funny that as a joke answer I thought to say "Moses" for no reason and then someone in the video says "Jesus Christ"

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
What is this forum going to do when Avatar 2 embarrasses whatever Marvel entry comes out the same year at the box office?

Are they going to say 3D was the only reason?

I bet I know. Watch everybody credit Disney with the Avatar 2's success. Mark my words.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is this forum going to do when Avatar 2 embarrasses whatever Marvel entry comes out the same year at the box office?

Are they going to say 3D was the only reason?

I bet I know. Watch everybody credit Disney with the Avatar 2's success. Mark my words.

Which blockbuster action film of the last 10 years is really even that much better than Avatar? The Avengers movies are not great movies once you look past the novelty factor of having a bunch of superheroes in one movie at once.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Which blockbuster action film of the last 10 years is really even that much better than Avatar? The Avengers movies are not great movies once you look past the novelty factor of having a bunch of superheroes in one movie at once.
The only one that approaches is Fury Road and (I hesitate to use the word blockbuster, but moreso tentpole) Blade Runner 2049.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only one that approaches is Fury Road and (I hesitate to use the word blockbuster, but moreso tentpole) Blade Runner 2049.

And those are fair, but past that ... *crickets*. The Marvel films are not some works of cinema, most of them don't even have a coherent theme. Avatar is on par or better than a lot of the Marvel stuff and certainly better than The Hobbit trilogy. Star Wars sequel trilogy I'd put in that same range.

BR2049 also I think is well below the original.