Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's always going to be the FBSS from the frenzied ghoul in Guk. EverQuest. The monster has a CHANCE to spawn every 28 minutes. Otherwise a placeholder monster will appear instead. On top of that, only has a very small chance of actually having the sash if he spawns. The one and only time I did it, I camped him for three real people earth days. Last time I played EB I think it took me about 2-3 hours to get the Sword of Kings.
I came in here to post your exact scenario. I spent days holding that spot till it dropped. Looks like I wasn't alone lol.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
There was a Key Item in Crimson Shroud that you needed to advance the story that was a random drop from an enemy. Not just any enemy, because the encounters in Crimson Shroud are Fixed, but a specific skeleton mage that only appears if you fight the first wave of enemies in a specific order to get the right enemy to appear in the second wave which after you defeat it you still has a sub-10% chance of dropping the Key.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly an item drop but recruiting a King Cureslime in Dragon Quest 5 took me hours and hundreds of tries. A 1/64 chance to recruit a monster that appears maybe 1/10 encounters in a dungeon full of other monsters.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
each run takes approximately 4-6 minutes, but you should spend a lot of time farming the frogs on timeless isle for bonus roll coins as well. so that adds quite a few hours to the farming.

took me around 800~ kills (so 4000 minutes + however many hours farming coins) to get my tusks

all in the name of transmog

You spent more than 70 hours farming for that? How did you not go insane?

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
I can't remember the name of the item, but I remember Crimson Shroud annoying me on that front, as they had key items as rare drops and that somehow never dropped for me after a few hours of grinding. I pretty much dropped the game because of that.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
some drop rates in Phantasy star online were like 1 of 8000 enemies of a certain specific type, so those weapons
were hard to obtain

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got the Sword of Kings when I replayed EarthBound last summer.

orYdhmq.png

And now I'll never have to get it again, because you don't need it for any other reason than saying you did.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
TzpNvpF.png

Getting any legendary drop from Vermivorous the invincible from Borderlands 2. As is typical from these loot games, the drop rates are awful and the fact that it can drop skins for all the characters, plus weapons and gear means that the pool is very diluted and you need to pray first for a legendary drop, and second for the one you want. On top of that, the motherfucker is a very rare enemy spawn, and it doesn't just appears randomly when realoading the area, no.

The way to get this boss to appear is by allowing a type of insect enemy to go through a series of metamorphosis, but is not as easy as it sounds. These bugs spawn in numbers, and each of them has a slight chance of becoming Vermivorous, but the only way to know if any of them can do it is by allowing them to go through their life cycle. They are on a timer, after certain ammount of time they get into a coccoon and then go to their next phase, I think all can go through the first one but after that there's no guarantee of which one will go through the next transformation, so when you notice that many are going through a second metamorphosis while others get stuck on the second phase you start weeding out those which got stuck to allow more little bugs to spawn. You repeat the process with those on the third phase and hope for any of them to turn into the super boss.

TLDR: So basically is going through the mother of all RNG sequences, in which you just babysit a bunch of bugs getting incrementally stronger while they are trying to kill you in hopes of one of them turning into a raid boss, and then you hope for the boss to drop something good, finally you pray for the legendary item to be what you want.

Last edited:

Kientin

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Goo King Sword in Breath of Fire 3. I rather do the Sword of Kings. I noped out of that so fast after realizing what it would take.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't the Gutsy Bat worse? IIrc there were only 4 Kraken and the drop wasn't defined per kill but 1/128 per *save*.. meaning if you didn't get it, start the game over. I never got it.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Korean mmo drop tables where you can farm for 6 hours a day for an entire year and if you're lucky you will get 1 weapon drop

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
There was an item in Destiny 1 that was required to start the quest to get Nechrochasm, and unbeknownst to me it was bugged and instead of having an incredibly low drop rate it flat out wasn't dropping. I discovered this only after farming a particular mission for it for close to 20 hours across three days. I got through one, maybe two seasons of Heroes snapped to the sidebar while I farmed so it wasn't a complete waste.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Lulu's celestial weapon, Final Fantasy X.
Tedious farming of an item? I can take it.
Dodge 200 fucking lightning bolts without a counter to let me know how many I've dodged and I can't even leave the screen? Fuck that.
this one was lame as fuck, I hated that I did that

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
The Pink Tail in Final Fantasy IV is the worst that I tried to get. I didn't get it.

I don't think the Sword of Kings is the worst item drop in Earthbound (I think I've gotten it three times). Trying to get the Gutsy Bat is way worse (I think I did have a fluke file where I got it...and then didn't use it since I had no idea how good it was).

Oct 27, 2017
Solo farming Covenant items in Dark Souls 3 sucks ass. Vertebrae Shackles, Proof of a Concord Kept, Pale Tongues, Wolf's Blood Swordgrass, Human Dregs, Sunlight Medals. The stuff of nightmares.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Defending Ring in FFXI.
The monster it drops from used to be available to fight no more than once every week. And the drop rate was quite low at the time. There were servers that only had one after a few years. So that's one item for 20,000 people, give or take a few thousand people.

Yeah. Tons of Notorious Monster drops come to mind here. Even the ones on a two hour respawn timer were hard to get since you had to compete with other players to even claim the monster and then get lucky enough to get a drop.

Lulu's celestial weapon, Final Fantasy X.
Tedious farming of an item? I can take it.
Dodge 200 fucking lightning bolts without a counter to let me know how many I've dodged and I can't even leave the screen? Fuck that.

Did that back in my teens and never really understood why people hate it so much. I got it on my first or second attempt. I'd rather do something like that than be at RNG's mercy and hope for a rare drop of something.

About the vast majority of Phantasy Star Online rare drops.

Yep.

Oh, PSO on dreamcast had some insanely ridiculous drop rate, even in ver2. It got much, much better with PSOGC and Blue Burst but there's still stuff like 1/100k chance to get a Heaven Punisher, or my own personal nemesis the Sealed J-sword at 1/12608.

I still don't know if the Unsealed J-Sword was even obtainable legitimately or if people only got it through hacks. I miss those days. The PSO Ep. I & II gameplay loop was great. I wish we could get a proper remaster of that game...

Another drop that came to mind was the Trapezohedron in FFXIII. You needed several of these to craft the final weapons and they were a pretty rare drop from the giant Adamantoises in the Archylte Steppe on Gran Pulse.
Still one of my proudest Platinum trophies...

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Tons of Notorious Monster drops come to mind here. Even the ones on a two hour respawn timer were hard to get since you had to compete with other players to even claim the monster and then get lucky enough to get a drop.

Did that back in my teens and never really understood why people hate it so much. I got it on my first or second attempt. I'd rather do something like that than be at RNG's mercy and hope for a rare drop of something.

Yep.

I still don't know if the Unsealed J-Sword was even obtainable legitimately or if people only got it through hacks. I miss those days. The PSO Ep. I & II gameplay loop was great. I wish we could get a proper remaster of that game...

Another drop that came to mind was the Trapezohedron in FFXIII. You needed several of these to craft the final weapons and they were a pretty rare drop from the giant Adamantoises in the Archylte Steppe on Gran Pulse.
Still one of my proudest Platinum trophies...
Sealed J-sword was a legit drop yeah, thing is it only dropped from a single ID. (skyly) and the enemy who dropped it was considered a miniboss (gi gue) if you played offline you were out of luck because, online, you had a quest called "Phantasmal World 4" where floor 2 of the tower had 5 gi gues (the fastest method to farm it). Offline you'd be stuck repeating the beach level over and over and hope the singular gi gue dropped it. That's for PSOGC/Blue Burst btw.

For dreamcast, it was also available as a drop but in ruin from some enemy but the drop rate was 1/89k on Ultimate. You can also get it from Very Hard, same enemy but its like a drop rate of 1/1.1mil. Although I think the weapon itself was banned for whatever reasons. (on DC)

Also I agree for trapezohedron, you need a very specific setup to take on these turtles, then you gotta pray it drop.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I remember back in the day reading the manual while playing Earthbound and I was determined as hell to get the Sword of Kings. I was ready for a long slog; and so of course the first Starman Super drops it. It was very anti-climatic. Then on top of that before I left the area it dropped a 2nd time. I literally literally thought the book was fucking lying about it being rare.

It wasn't until subsequent play throughs that I realized I had just gotten stupid lucky twice over. Nowadays when I play I'll spend a little while grinding for it; but if I don't get it after 15-20 min I just move on. I still waste time in other ways, like I can't move on from Onett till I buy the Vacant House.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rare drops from rare monsters in PSO
I don't even know the rates, but it's like maybe 1/1000 to get a rare monster, then they have an additional BS drop rate for some rare items

I see I'm not the only one mentioning PSO.

Last edited:

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Already mentioned but Pure Bladestone in DeS has to be up there. If not for some helpful gaffer back then (5+ years or so), i would probably still be farming....

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Eagle Eggs and Black Pearls in NieR maybe.

If it specifically has to be a drop instead of harvest/found item than also the Broken Earrings and Metal Piercings from NieR.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There are several mounts in WoW that come to mind. I have slain Onyxia God knows how many times and still never got the Onyxian Drake mount.

And don't even get me started on Asses of Al'ar.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The Seitengrat in Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age. It's an invisible bow with such insane damage that it makes the Zodiac Spear look like a kid's toy.

The Seitengrat can be obtained when the player can board the Skyferry. Entering the deck of the Skyferry offers a 1% chance for an invisible chest to spawn, that has a 20% chance of containing an item, and if the player has the Diamond Armlet equipped, the chest has a 5% chance of containing the Seitengrat. With this 0.01% chance every time the deck is entered (assuming the player knows of the hidden chest), the Seitengrat was intended to only be gotten by fluke or serious persistence, however, with RNG manipulation one can guarantee the chest spawns and relinquishes a Seitengrat.

But in the new XB1 and Switch versions? Nobody has figured out the RNG manipulation yet. Good luck!

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lucky egg in frlg
get it from Chansey
Which you can only find in the Safari zone
Lucky Egg in GSC is also pretty terrible. Chansey is a 1% encounter in all areas it appears in, and it has a roughly 2% chance of holding Lucky Egg. That comes out to about a 1 in 5,000 chance of encountering a Chansey holding a Lucky Egg.

Granted, you can actually increase the chance of encountering Chansey a little bit by strategically using Repels, but even then the chances are still less than 1 in 1,000.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
About the vast majority of Phantasy Star Online rare drops.

THE NUUUUUG
http://www.pso-world.com/items.php?op=viewarticle&artid=574
NUG2000 Bazooka

Back when I played Blue Burst on the PC, I put a stupid amount of time into trying to farm this son of a bitch.
What the fuck did I even expect? The drop-rate is 1/20880!

Sad part is that isn't even close to the worst drop-rate in PSO.
Sadder part is that I didn't even need the piece of crap. I already had a Frozen Shooter, a Spread Needle with 15% hit, and the all-important charge gatlings for damage.

I remember giving all that and a ton of other stuff away on my last day of Blue Burst.
Never really played PSU, PSO2, or the portable titles long enough to farm for the stupid stuff.

I don't know maybe the crissaegrim in sotn?
On really slow days, I used to do SOTN play-throughs where I'd farm every rare drop.

I'd end up killing Dracula with random-ass weapon combinations, like dual chakrams.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Goofy and Donald enemy weapons Defender and Wizard's Relic in the first Kingdom Hearts have a drop rate of 0.2%. Whilst not the worst example and I got one by accident and another in an hour I thought it was worth bringing up.

Oct 26, 2017
The Big Love Rocket mount in WoW. It has a 1 in 3333 (0.03%) chance to drop from a boss which each character can kill once a day for only two weeks of each year.

I've spent years collecting mounts in WoW, got Ashes during Lich King, Invincible and Mimiron's Head during Pandaria plus literally hundreds of other through sheer determined grinding, and I've never even seen the rocket drop for anyone in my group. I never even knew another player who'd seen it drop.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
THE NUUUUUG
http://www.pso-world.com/items.php?op=viewarticle&artid=574
NUG2000 Bazooka

Back when I played Blue Burst on the PC, I put a stupid amount of time into trying to farm this son of a bitch.
What the fuck did I even expect? The drop-rate is 1/20880!

Sad part is that isn't even close to the worst drop-rate in PSO.
Sadder part is that I didn't even need the piece of crap. I already had a Frozen Shooter, a Spread Needle with 15% hit, and the all-important charge gatlings for damage.

I remember giving all that and a ton of other stuff away on my last day of Blue Burst.
Never really played PSU, PSO2, or the portable titles long enough to farm for the stupid stuff.

On really slow days, I used to do SOTN play-throughs where I'd farm every rare drop.

I'd end up killing Dracula with random-ass weapon combinations, like dual chakrams.
Saddest part, it can't even combo!

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, PSO drop rates are bringing back memories of some boring-ass grinding sessions. I think the absolute rarest thing I got after literally 500 hours of playtime was a Chain Sawd, which is not even *that* rare. Man, fuck the drop rates in that game. Zero regrets about accepting hacked rares from a player by the name of CaptainPooBeard.