• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the federal NDP could suggest that both Alberta and Quebec can separate since they seem to be full of such good ideas that jive with Pierre's conservatives

Uhm. You know that Pierre is leading in the polls pretty much everywhere and with every demographic right? It's not just Alberta and Quebec. I know polls aren't perfect but still.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Maybe the federal NDP could suggest that both Alberta and Quebec can separate since they seem to be full of such good ideas that jive with Pierre's conservatives
You know that Quebec has (and pretty much always has) the lowest support for Conservative of all the provinces (and typically is the most left in policies except for immigration). Also has the lowest ratio of Conservative mpp.
Without Quebec, Canada would mostly elects Conservative governments at the Federal level.

While some people blame Conservative government on however Quebec votes, it's only true if you factor in that if Quebec elects more Bloc (or NPD in the Latton's day) and fewer Liberal, then Liberal are less likely to win, not because Quebec elects more Conservative mpp.

People like to bash on Quebec policies but Quebec has a large left influence on the Federal policies.

Putting Alberta (large right influence) with Quebec (large left influence) policies in the same boat is showing very little understanding on the matter.

For the carbon tax, Quebec is one of the few provinces that did their own program and as such were not imposed the default Federal program.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017

NDP backs Conservative demand for 'emergency meeting' between PM and premiers on carbon pricing

(Note that this is a quote from a conservative, not the NDP)
This debate continues being completely stupid. They know this is how it works, they just pretend it doesn't work that way.

It's posturing for an election.NDP wants to distance themselves from the shit show that Trudeau libs are now. Polls can be whatever but NDP and Bloc seem to believe them

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
NDP just has no credibility.

Like this is going to convince CPC voters to switch back.

It's looking a protest vote. Things suck and everyone is lining up to vote the current government out.

Pierre has wound up the rage machine enough that all facts are out the window.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Instead of hoping that the Conservatives don't win the next election, you'll be better off assuming they will win and then maneuvering over the next year and a half so that you can weather the storm.

The Carbon Tax is a dead policy, so plan for not having that rebate. Assume things will be slashed and burned. If you work for the Feds, assume that you'll come under attack and plan for a new DRAP.

Figure out what you're going to do about their lack of a housing policy, because the Conservatives, Do. Not. Care. Period.

Plan for everything to continue getting more expensive, as Europe and other countries slam Canada with Carbon Tarrifs. Plan for a recession because our economy is barely holding on due to the real estate crisis, with it being propped up and delayed solely because of immigration.

If you are LGBTQ, your rights will come under attack. If you are a woman, stay vigilant because Abortion will come up. If you aren't a White Christian/Catholic/Variant individual, you will come under attack.

Plan for a Conservatives Majority. And plan to fight like hell to prevent the backrolling of our rights.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Alberta wants to make it illegal for any public bodies including cities to receive funding from the federal government without provincial approval first. lol

At this point, just separate already.

Alberta is sadly doing this for all the wrong reasons, but they're in the right here considering that municipalities are a creation of the provinces and don't mean anything.

I actually sort of like this if only that it underlines that municipalities aren't a special order of government, the Province is ultimately responsible for everything, and people should be complaining to the Province more.

When municipalities are being belligerent and shitty, the Province should be stepping in to swat them down and no one should complain about the Province overstepping their bounds.

Municipalities should be treated as the implementers of Provincial policy and IMO the Provinces should be directly giving them clear marching orders more often.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the NDP never really supported the consumer carbon tax anyway, only supporting it after it was fait accompli. They were always more interested in a tough industrial carbon tax.

At this point, when they kinda badly need to create some air space between them and the Liberals it kind of makes sense for them to abandon the policy if it gives them some turf all to their own.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the NDP never really supported the consumer carbon tax anyway, only supporting it after it was fait accompli. They were always more interested in a tough industrial carbon tax.

At this point, when they kinda badly need to create some air space between them and the Liberals it kind of makes sense for them to abandon the policy if it gives them some turf all to their own.
Coalition partners seem to never come out ahead anyway. It just doesn't seem possible because the governing party gets credit for everything good and the most you can do is say they didn't do enough, even though they did what you wanted.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Plan for a Conservatives Majority. And plan to fight like hell to prevent the backrolling of our rights.

I plan to leave the country.

A Conservative majority is terrifying, more so because of the unchecked power they'd have.

And after 4 years, people will just elect them again, if Ontario is any indication.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I plan to leave the country.

A Conservative majority is terrifying, more so because of the unchecked power they'd have.

And after 4 years, people will just elect them again, if Ontario is any indication.

Pretty much all we can hope is that the provinces flip to being more progressive in order to defend against the Conservative Feds.

On the other hand, Toronto would have abso-fucking-lutely elected Rob Ford to another term in Toronto. And I have little hope that Ontario doesn't bring Doug back for a third term to put the final nail in the coffin that is our social safety net.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all we can hope is that the provinces flip to being more progressive in order to defend against the Conservative Feds.

On the other hand, Toronto would have abso-fucking-lutely elected Rob Ford to another term in Toronto. And I have little hope that Ontario doesn't bring Doug back for a third term to put the final nail in the coffin that is our social safety net.

The suburbs elected Rob (and Doug), not Toronto proper. And my previous point wasn't that Quebec doesn't have left wing politics (though I'd call them more centrist like Ontario - they're progressive in some aspects and ridiculous in others). Just that the NDP gearing up to hand the conservatives a majority is a very poor idea for them and the country so they may as well burn it all down and suggest the worst ideas they could possibly come up with to tank everything.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
"Toronto proper" is dumb as rocks anyway, these people wanted to throw public transit under the bus over a few trees.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still just flabbergasted by Danielle Smith's media tour on all the news shows that will have her stating that the federal government giving money to municipalities directly is a problem because it's unfair to small jurisdictions. lmfao. This clown's defence in the face of being questioned about the irony of having a ministry of red-tape reduction while adding red tape to processes, and the irony of begging for the federal government to fix housing despite it not being their jurisdiction, then complaining when they "operate outside of their jurisdiction", revolves around being a champion of small municipalities who don't "have the lobbying power of Calgary and Edmonton". Like… shut the fuck up, clown. Let Coutts, Fox Creek and Hanna contact the Feds if they want to, don't shit on places with 7 figure populations in the meantime. She also had a tangent on CBC that I didn't hear on CTV complaining about how there are just as many conservative journalists graduating from post secondary as progressives, who aren't finding jobs to voice their opinions lol. Ok, Danielle, whatever you say.

I did enjoy hearing her squirm as she tried to explain how her raising the gas tax 4 cents that she will rebate back to Albertans is "totally different" than the federal government's carbon tax and rebate program.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
While there's Trudeau fatigue, I think the impact of provincial conservative incumbency and the ability for federal liberals to just... campaign against them goes somewhat understated. It doesn't mean they'll just "win", but it does mean they can and probably will run a campaign against some generally not super well liked incumbent conservative governments. The incumbent conservative governments themselves that are in some ways outright undermining the federal party's own messaging.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
There's some potential for a backlash here if the bulk of Canadians, who 100% do not give a shit about politics and just want to See Things Getting Done, realize that Conservative Premiers are playing games and are preventing huge amounts of Federal money from flowing into their city, improving their services, building housing and easing their tax burden.

This has the potential to turn things around and put Premiers on the defensive. Could be a real masterstroke by the Liberals if they can pull this off.

People asked why wasn't the Feds doing something. Now they are. Now the question should be to Premiers: Why are you preventing the Feds from helping?

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
"Toronto proper" is dumb as rocks anyway, these people wanted to throw public transit under the bus over a few trees.

No, they wanted them to move the station so they didn't have to cut down old growth. The only thing dumb as rocks was the decision to amalgamate in the 90s. Lots of hopium in this thread lol.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
There's some potential for a backlash here if the bulk of Canadians, who 100% do not give a shit about politics and just want to See Things Getting Done, realize that Conservative Premiers are playing games and are preventing huge amounts of Federal money from flowing into their city, improving their services, building housing and easing their tax burden.

This has the potential to turn things around and put Premiers on the defensive. Could be a real masterstroke by the Liberals if they can pull this off.

People asked why wasn't the Feds doing something. Now they are. Now the question should be to Premiers: Why are you preventing the Feds from helping?
The electorate have the memory of a goldfish so it would not surprise me if the federal liberals got a legitimate foothold on this strategy. People probably like combative Trudeau anyway.
No, they wanted them to move the station so they didn't have to cut down old growth. The only thing dumb as rocks was the decision to amalgamate in the 90s. Lots of hopium in this thread lol.
So they wanted to throw public transit under the bus over some trees. Huge L for Matlow for backing residents on this after trying to distance himself from his NIMBY past after getting memed for it.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Federal NDP may be a dumpster fire but I am starting to like the BC NDP. Saying all the right things in this fresh new interview with the BC minister of housing. We need more of this COMMON SENSE policies.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=snw6KtGBI9Y

The Eby's NDP actually acts like a serious governing party, so this doesn't surprise me. There were items that Freeland and Ford worked very well together on, not dissimilar to Fraser and Kahlon in BC now.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not used to agreeing with something that a politician said so hard. Somebody hold me.
There's a lot of philosophical overlap between Kahlon and Fraser, and while I spent a lot of time roasting Hussen as housing minister for both his inaction and generally boneheaded statements, a non-trivial amount of what Fraser's doing now started under Hussen.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Federal NDP may be a dumpster fire but I am starting to like the BC NDP. Saying all the right things in this fresh new interview with the BC minister of housing. We need more of this COMMON SENSE policies.

What's so frustrating about the Fed NDP's approach is that 2/3rds of what they talk about is deeply aligned with their BC NDP counterparts. The main difference is that the Fed NDP is sadly somehow incapable of saying that for profit housing for regular people should also be built (I mean I'm sure they're fine with it, but it's just not a focus of their communications in the same way that it is with the BC NDP). For some insane reason they're determined to keep their tent as small as possible and limited to only working class renters. I absolutely appreciate the NDP being there to stand up for workers that will never be able to afford to buy a home, but the example of the BC NDP shows that there's a lot of people with higher incomes that are very happy to support the party if the party offers them something.

Like how is it that the Fed NDP doesn't look at their BC counter parts riding high in the polls and put it together? Crazy to me. Pick up the phone and work together to figure out how to make a good platform that would propel the party forward.

IMO their housing critic Jenny Kwan is terrible and needs to be punted but sadly she's in the safest riding in the country. A the very least Singh should dump her to the back bench and find someone else with a better head on their shoulders.

edit: tl;dr there was a natural opportunity for the Fed NDP to take the BC NDP platform National, stand with popular Premier Eby ride his coat tails into increased credibility. Instead they decided to go their own way, and now the struggling Liberals have stepped into that place and have taken Eby's platform.

Last edited:

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
If Canada didn't elect the FNDP with Layton at the helm, it's not going to happen in your lifetime. I just don't see it.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I have a somewhat low opinion of Jack Layton in that I still remember his NIMBYism; he never had the opportunity to grow or improve tbf, though I don't think it's unfair to dislike his anti urban growth politics.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

All of these large-canopy trees were removed:

SZsHdSg.jpeg

So they wanted to throw public transit under the bus over some trees. Huge L for Matlow for backing residents on this after trying to distance himself from his NIMBY past after getting memed for it.
Dude, you are so all-or-nothing in your stances on things. There were other options on the table, but Metrolinx went with the easiest because they didn't have to consider public input.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
At the time of his appearance on the scene Layton was probably more tuned into urban issues than anyone else on the stage, presumably given the fact that he was an ex-city councillor. He put a lot of urban items on the agenda that I think wouldn't have been discussed at the federal level other wise, like public transit funding. I recall one of his early good ideas he raised was the notion of diverting a portion of the federal gas tax directly to cities, something that did later happen. That idea was one of the early things that first got me to notice Layton and the NDP (because lol if you think NDP is irrelevant now, prior to this they were truly, truly a non-factor)

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I have a somewhat low opinion of Jack Layton in that I still remember his NIMBYism; he never had the opportunity to grow or improve tbf, though I don't think it's unfair to dislike his anti urban growth politics.
What politicians at the federal government have you had a high, or even ambivalent, opinion of, in the history of this country, if Layton of all people doesn't meet the bar.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
What politicians at the federal government have you had a high, or even ambivalent, opinion of, in the history of this country, if Layton of all people doesn't meet the bar.
Pearson. I guess at least Layton wasn't John Sewell who was true gutter trash.
All of these large-canopy trees were removed:

SZsHdSg.jpeg

Dude, you are so all-or-nothing in your stances on things. There were other options on the table, but Metrolinx went with the easiest because they didn't have to consider public input.
There weren't better options, the middle of University would have been an infrastructure shitshow, and I guess you can yeet the "heritage" sitting at the north-west corner of uni/queen. I don't know how bypassing public input isn't the better option by default.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
for the weird fearmongering around Bailao and Bradford turning into a weird freak, the two of them have been non-NIMBY as long as they've been around

that said the country also has a weird anger at big urban centres while stubbornly refusing to acknowledge that their own livelihoods rest on the health of these economies

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I am so skeptical and suspect that when pushed on the issue even most seemingly surface level pro-housing development politicians will buckle and reveal themselves to not actually be terribly pro-housing.

Take for example Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim, who lead his business centric centre right A Better City Party into a majority mandate by citing his pro-development views and that he'd solve the housing crisis yada yada (never mind the fact that we already had a pro-housing mayor, that the previous Mayor Kennedy Stewart approved every single project that came across his desk and pushed hard for fourplexes...).

Well Councillor Boye (one of the rare true yimbys if I've ever seen one) proposes a motion to explore allowing apartments in the leafy Shaughnessy mansion district a stones throw away from downtown. Seems like a pretty reasonable idea. ABC lines up to vote it down for no real reason.

So he's pro housing, but if you suggest housing in the rich people areas suddenly he's' not. Ah yes I see how it is.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, they finally did it -- capital gains tax increase to 66%. It's for gains above 250k, but I'm glad that they're opening the doors for this.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
What was the duty on a carton of cigarettes prior to this? Smoking is already ludicrous from a financial perspective but I wish they'd hike the price to the moon.

Pearson. I guess at least Layton wasn't John Sewell who was true gutter trash.
I didn't realize I hadn't responded to this, but that is a good answer. I forgot about "Mike".

Last edited:

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Smoking Product taxes unfortunately target a vulnerable section of the population that are not wealthy.

I totally agree on the deterrent/luxury/healthcare taxe aspect of it. However, in my experience, it's generally poor/mental disorder/marginalized people that have the biggest addiction problems with tobacco/nicotine.
It's not a well-to-do hobby vice (aside cigars).
So I think there should be more focus on getting people ways to get out of their addiction than overtaxing them to punish their 'vice'.

I use to support high tobacco taxes but not really anymore. It should be a lot more controlled and there should be a large effort to try to phase out those out of the market while helping people getting out of those addiction.

I have less concern about alcohol taxes which still affects a vulnerable portion of the population but is much more widespread within the various non-vulnerable population.

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
Smoking Product taxes unfortunately target a vulnerable section of the population that are not wealthy.

I totally agree on the deterrent/luxury/healthcare taxe aspect of it. However, in my experience, it's generally poor/mental disorder/marginalized people that have the biggest addiction problems with tobacco/nicotine.
It's not a well-to-do hobby vice (aside cigars).
So I think there should be more focus on getting people ways to get out of their addiction than overtaxing them to punish their 'vice'.

I use to support high tobacco taxes but not really anymore. It should be a lot more controlled and there should be a large effort to try to phase out those out of the market while helping people getting out of those addiction.

I have less concern about alcohol taxes which still affects a vulnerable portion of the population but is much more widespread within the various non-vulnerable population.
This — said much better than I ever could.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
So it's purely personal, I get that. No reason to increase the price of cigarettes on everyone for that, though.
I'd be more inclined to see them banned the way the U.K. has but I'm not sure anyone governing this country has the spine for that. So in lieu of that I'd rather see the sin tax punish its consumption. My preference would be that sin taxes on alcohol and cannabis increase as well.

Cilidra

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Can anyone tell me why someone decides to START smoking these days? With all the negatives about it that are widely known?
It's a way to self medicate for anxiety. People that smoke do know it's harmful but it helps them cope. Plus it's highly addictive so if you are vulnerable mentally it's very hard to get off.

It's sad really, I wish we would phase it out.

I don't smoke and never have btw but I know many people who do and have several relatives that do.