• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
They're flip flopping. Now it looks like they are

Would be pretty wild if they didn't support this considering that raising the inclusion rate to 75% was in their last election platform.

The 250k limit before shifting from 50% to 66% is an interesting move. Pretty much makes it so that pretty much no equities investors will be impacted but investors in secondary investment homes are more likely to pay the tax.

Also for corporations there's no 250k limit and the 66% inclusion rate applies to all capital gains, so realtors/lawyers/dentists/doctors etc that were using their personal corporations as a tax dodge, leaving income in there and investing it, will now be taxed more severely and more in line with regular wage earners.

Really good moves here.

thehub.ca

Why raising capital gains taxes makes sense—yes, really - The Hub

From the perspective of getting the underlying structure of Canada’s tax system right, increasing capital gains taxes made good sense.

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
Can anyone tell me why someone decides to START smoking these days? With all the negatives about it that are widely known?
I'll play.

I've been an on and off smoker since I was about 20. It helps with a lot of stressful phases I've had in my life. Breakups, others putting me down or straight up telling me I'm worthless, boring, unexciting, ugly, homophobia, customer caused stress when working as a server or a CSR on the phones. It's also helped with more serious stuff like rape, suicidal ideation and even being told bullshit like "it's impossible you have suicidal thoughts because you would have already done it by now if that was true." It has also GREATLY helped with my brain injury because I'm pretty light sensitive and sound sensitive (among other things) now so it gives me a reason to get away from everything. Before anyone asks "can't you just go outside without smoking?" Yes, I can, and I tried, but then I get swept up in people being concerned about how I'm doing for the rest of the night. It is not "socially normal" to want to get away from your family/friends so your head stops spinning and to loosen the invisible clamp on your skull. It's a lot easier to just say "I'm going for a cig," everyone just responds "Okay, find us when you get back!"

Another reason to smoke: people saying condescending shit about my one vice and insinuating how I should know better with all the information available. I know how bad it is for me. I know I should quit. I'm dealing with enough bullshit in my life that if I quit while going through this shit (that might never end) I will just be insanely angry all the time. If this makes me feel better, even if only fleetingly, let me have it. I would rather be alive right now while doing something that isn't good for me in the long term, than throw myself off my balcony.

I'm going for a fucking cigarette.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Would be pretty wild if they didn't support this considering that raising the inclusion rate to 75% was in their last election platform.

The 250k limit before shifting from 50% to 66% is an interesting move. Pretty much makes it so that pretty much no equities investors will be impacted but investors in secondary investment homes are more likely to pay the tax.

Also for corporations there's no 250k limit and the 66% inclusion rate applies to all capital gains, so realtors/lawyers/dentists/doctors etc that were using their personal corporations as a tax dodge, leaving income in there and investing it, will now be taxed more severely and more in line with regular wage earners.

Really good moves here.

thehub.ca

Why raising capital gains taxes makes sense—yes, really - The Hub

From the perspective of getting the underlying structure of Canada’s tax system right, increasing capital gains taxes made good sense.

It's 100% a stealth move aimed against property speculators. I'm surprised that the wider media hasn't picked up on this more.

I'm doubly surprised that many business-oriented organizations are criticizing the move as being against capital generation, business operations, and investment in our province. Like, what? Most businesses wouldn't incur capital gains unless they sold something that was specifically held for investment or securitization purposes... The only thing that it would remotely touch is divestment of VC shares in a start-up, but that's a small fraction of businesses out there.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of whining about the capital gain tax is dumb especially when people talk about stocks based compensation. The level of gains you need to hit the 250k threshold is really high and you would only reach it with a unicorn startup which Canada doesn't produce anymore, or if you are an exec at a large company.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of whining about the capital gain tax is dumb especially when people talk about stocks based compensation. The level of gains you need to hit the 250k threshold is really high and you would only reach it with a unicorn startup which Canada doesn't produce anymore, or if you are an exec at a large company.

Not only that, but the gains would only materialize if the unicorn startup magically produced shareholder value if and only if the startup actually succeeded.

I was reading a CBC article this morning, and it buries at the end the take by other entrepreneurs that say the capital gains tax rate is the last thing on their minds -- because they're concerned about making a viable business first and foremost.

edit: Also, stock based compensation is the absolute worst compensation an employee can take because, at any point, the company can dilute the shares if they needed to raise capital.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing he knows.

Anecdotally seems to be working, grabbing some groceries at Walmart overheard a young employee talking about Trudeau and Biden getting voted out because they "want to increase the tax on everything". Low information voters at risk of voting against their own interests because they're currently struggling and believe lies, as usual.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
The news bill has done more bad than good. Dollarama Milhouse is now the first person recommended when you make a new account on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
The news bill has done more bad than good. Dollarama Milhouse is now the first person recommended when you make a new account on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Our newspapers and journalists are on their last legs. Without that bill, they would have completely imploded or their husks purchased by even more garbage entities like as Murdoch as their work was shared (and misconstrued) or free on social media. But the reason the algorithms are recommending him is because he's popular (somehow) and that's who our next PM will be. Unfortunately.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

yeah I think it's pretty gross to see ~tech execs~ pile in here and vaguely say that this is bad for them. Really? Please explain in precise detail how the capital gains tax will make it hard for you to grow your tech company. I don't see how it's relevant.

I've been a part of a number of early tech companies and the reality is that stock options are lotto tickets and should be considered near worthless. Any one I've ever had has been, and that didn't stop me from joining the companies. If a company does hit and you make 250k+ out of it man oh noes paying some tax is a pretty fucking good problem to have.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I have seen plenty of tech bros complain but as an « owner » of stock options I'll gladly pay taxes for it but they won't be worth $250k if they ever amount to anything.

I think it's the VCs that have something to lose here and well, boohoo. Taxation is more equitable now (and it's still very not equitable) the horror.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
lol a senior software engineer is on that list? Okay buddy

i know a couple of people on there. Not close just people I've dealt with before. 😬

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
GLdA0c4WMAAoLUh

What would we do without this company lmao

jetscanfly

Jan 19, 2018
Definitely found someone on the list I know and frankly it's quite disappointing because they lead an organization that has positive messaging.

Edit: To be clear and make sure I'm understanding everything completely before I start sending emails, this list is those who oppose the the capital gains tax of 66% on those capital gains above $250k, right?

Edit 2: A surprising amount of people who are part of organizations who do some fun stuff in Montreal are up on there.

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
globalnews.ca

Saskatchewan education minister apologizes for comment to mother whose daughter died | Globalnews.ca

Jeremy Cockrill says he used a poor choice of words in the private meeting with Taya Thomas about teachers asking for more supports for students with extra needs.

Saskatchewan's education minister has apologized in the legislature for rhetorically asking if he should give up his first-born child when speaking to a mother whose daughter had died.
70c8fc80

Jeremy Cockrill says he used a poor choice of words in the private meeting with Taya Thomas about teachers wanting more supports for students with extra needs.

The woman's daughter, 13-year-old Mayelle, died last year after dealing with multiple medical conditions

Conservatives always attract asshats to top positions

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Heh /r/canada_sub went private.

Maybe this is the end of that sub, I guess they need their bots focused on the Ukraine war.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
lol, random, but just saw a Twitter conversation between Frank Graves and one of many who harass him that went something along the lines of

Frank: If an election were held today and only women voted, the CPC would lose
Twitter rando: I think women shouldn't be allowed to vote
Frank: I personally think we need reverse suffrage

And it just made me randomly laugh so hard.

"reverse suffrage" lol

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Like other than the disability benefit being incredibly too low and under resourced this budget is like "fine" and really not bad at all, but the media is absolutely out for blood and looking for every bad news story they can get their paws on. Really does feel like they have an agenda right now.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing about the budget is the government saying they want to build 3.9M houses by 2031. That would be building at a rate that no government has reached before in a high interest rate environment all while blaming the provinces.

I guess when you aren't planning on winning an election you can always promise whatever you want because you won't get a chance to fail to deliver.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Governments in this country tend to miss targets regardless of how realistic they are so I'd rather set insane targets and haul some ass rather than set Danielle Smith style "2050 realistic environmental targets" and drag ass to meet those too.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Like other than the disability benefit being incredibly too low and under resourced this budget is like "fine" and really not bad at all, but the media is absolutely out for blood and looking for every bad news story they can get their paws on. Really does feel like they have an agenda right now.

Of course they do. Clickbait, rage inducing is good for them.

Just like Trump was good for the USA media and they want him back.

PP would give them almost daily headlines.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017

I mean they absolutely do. Especially considering who the Postmedia people are in bed with

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
"Things are bad!" *clicks intensify* "wow look how crazy our leaders are! *clicks intensify* "whoa, real horse race of an election!" *clicks intensify*

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing about the budget is the government saying they want to build 3.9M houses by 2031. That would be building at a rate that no government has reached before in a high interest rate environment all while blaming the provinces.

I guess when you aren't planning on winning an election you can always promise whatever you want because you won't get a chance to fail to deliver.

def the government is being uhh ambitious, but in the 1970s we were building more than now and interest rates were over double than they are now. So it's def possible for building to happen in these sort of environments.

A big difference back then was that the amount of tax incentives and other things to aid builders was much more significant than now. The government bringing in the change to allow builders to depreciate at 10% is restoring one of those 70s era incentives.

(as an aside this is why the Feds do have a role in housing, they control taxes, which can have a make or break impact on everything and anything)

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yes, it's from back when he was granted bail. Despite it being before a trial that could establish guilt, Ford ranted and raved about what a monster this guy supposedly was, and then lo and behold, flashing forward to the present and he's innocent.

Like everything Conservatives say, you can always attribute it to projection. They see the things they get away with and assume that everyone else must be as equally guilty.

Oct 25, 2017
Like everything Conservatives say, you can always attribute it to projection. They see the things they get away with and assume that everyone else must be as equally guilty.

Take the word of police 110% (except when it's about your brother), tough on crime (except when it's your brother)

The description of what happened from the cops always seemed a bit off based on what was reported

It's still a big tragedy though, need reforms on how plain clothes officers identify themselves as actual cops so they don't scare an innocent person into thinking they are about to be carjacked

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It reminds me of the case with the AG running over a bicyclist for being afraid of his life, except now there's actual context with literal grand theft auto happening everywhere. Also if you're a POC and two white people start banging on your car and shouting at you, you have no idea what they're going to do either.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
I really really can't fathom how we are at a fight over doing the literal bare minimum (and most people end up coming out ahead momentarily to boot!). How the fuck did we get here

Oct 25, 2017
lol Ontario government wants to help reduce the amount of time family doctors spend on administrative tasks......like sick notes

Bruh, the Liberals made it so employers couldn't really ask for sick notes for short absences but the OPC brought that all back *facepalm*

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
lol Ontario government wants to help reduce the amount of time family doctors spend on administrative tasks......like sick notes
Every time the UK Tories do something for healthcare, the OPC tries it too. It's like clockwork.

————

pressprogress.ca

Pierre Poilievre Meets with Far-Right Extremist Group at Nova Scotia-New Brunswick Border

“Everyone’s happy with what you’re doing,” Poilievre tells conspiratorial fringe group camped out on side of highway

Oct 25, 2017

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Canada's least stylish man tells his chauffeur to pull over so he can visit fringe lunatics and frame a narrative around these nutcases sleeping in their trunks by blaming Trudeau the dictator for taking their houses away.