Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm Edmontonian, but THANK YOU CALGARY.

Alberta and Canada should not be in the business of funding the Olympics. It's a black hole of money and most of the infrastructure developed in other cities has been left to near-ruin.
It's was a non-binding vote so it ultimately doesn't mean anything.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
So alberta now has a 3rd right wing party in the « alberta advantage party « Hopefully they merge with that freedom party and help split the right vote.

Bit surprised that cowtown voted no to olympics. It seemed like a good way to get infrastructure at the expense of everyone else. How they gonna get a new arena now?

(F*** off French keyboard settings)

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
It's was a non-binding vote so it ultimately doesn't mean anything.
The alberta government's part of the funding was contingent on a yes result so the result definitely means something. I also doubt neshi and calgary city council would be willing to continue focusing on the 2026 bid since it was rejected by a decent amount by voters who voted in the plebiscite.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be shocked if Calgary doesn't move forward with Olympic aspirations. To many egos and too much money involved for people in powerful positions to give a rat's ass about what average people think.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The alberta government's part of the funding was contingent on a yes result so the result definitely means something. I also doubt neshi and calgary city council would be willing to continue focusing on the 2026 bid since it was rejected by a decent amount by voters who voted in the plebiscite.
You're right, they're already switching over to talking about a 2034 bid. lol
They should really try to make it a 2038 one though to push the 50th anniversary of 1988.

Last edited:

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
https://338canada.blogspot.com/2018/11/mainstreet-research-liberals-take-lead.html
Atlantic Provinces
YqnT8npp1-gDp4nlhj8H-2o4AJyOPWrqkzoitkwN61Qt_6wtuK3QdFuvYqcdC1-Zm04tzTwkhQ0vmGisEDiUFJaZu-3yKP_a1E-k7fbQhVeBEPEo=s0-d

Quebec
Aso9zzFvgBxdGCVvfbiEZ1uWIG1f4l9Do1pj3JwWnk5kxyLQOE-ugo6Gbm1bZyqgwMhk2z20tjI6KmUCvaqv37t5MvJ0kxo3yVwFSNdv8bvpU8M=s0-d

Ontario
XGvxr9-kWRV6-Eg1G1nXb9kyPS0rhbCC0gZzWhzpvGOGphWjV0f5znvp_-Udjpr7A_TuxkRrIavoR1DEtfp8Mw7tdtIZOyvuWk4hFVgCfrnnsp0=s0-d

So yeah, that's a Liberal majority right there. Maybe even a seat increase before we even get to Manitoba.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
I am calling it right now.

2038 Alberta Winter Olympics with a high speed rail between Edmonton and cowtown (with a stop in red deer) as the infrastructure centrepiece.

Congo Jack

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Apple Island
Glad to see more and more people are realizing that the Olympics are just a big money sink, but I got a feeling that they'll continue on with the bid, no matter what us common folk think.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Remember when Harper tried to do what O'Leary did and SCA basically told him "no that would hand our democracy to the rich you troglodyte"?

Good times.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Speaking of Harper.

He just won't go away!

Lol Ben Shapiro? Wonder how hard he will push, because Harper by virtue of being a Canadian politician would "support" (or rather, not be able to go against) things like free healthcare, gay marriage etc. Things that Shapiro himself disagree with. I hope Shapiro goes all in so we can see how right-wing Harper truly was (as in, if he agrees with Shapiro it will be evident he's pretty damn far-right).

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Harper shouldn't be enabling moron like Ben Shapiro. A former PM has no business on an alt-right and fear mongering show.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Harper shouldn't be enabling moron like Ben Shapiro. A former PM has no business on an alt-right and fear mongering show.

Unless of course he's no better than Ben Shapiro, which is almost certainly true.

Stephen Harper is a vile human being, probably one of my most hated Canadian politicians ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, Brown has a memoir coming out.

Also he reveals the Ontario Finance Minister had a sex abuse allegation against him that never went public.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
IMO, it's a piece of real estate junk,
there is no Bible on Elder Scroll that has it written that our Prime Minister must live in that shit hole of a piece shit of a house.

This is a golden opportunity to build a green, energy efficient home for the 21st Century

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...mini-budget-fall-economic-statement-1.4904632

Two offices facing cuts are those of the
Environmental Commissioner of Ontario and the Ontario Child Advocate, according to government and PC party sources who spoke to CBC News. Both agencies are headed by independent officers who report to the legislature, rather than to the government, giving them an independent status similar to the auditor general.

Three sources say the position of child advocate will be scrapped. The child advocate has a mandate to investigate ill-treatment of children in the foster care and Children's Aid Society systems and to review government policy and practice around services to children.

The child advocate has frequently produced critical reports that triggered changes in provincial policy. The post is held by Irwin Elman, who was appointed in 2008. He has been an outspoken critic of the child welfare system and has called for automatic inquests into every death of a child in care.

Fuck the environment and fuck children basically.

Fedeli's economic statement is expected to reveal what some of those sacrifices will be. On Wednesday night, Ford tweeted about one way he will try to make the cuts easier for Ontarians to swallow: extended hours for buying alcohol.

Hey Ontario, just get hammered while we fuck everything up.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Doug Ford élimine le projet de l'Université de l'Ontario français et le Commissariat aux services en français

Ontario PCs slash spending, unveil tax cut and lengthen LCBO hours in 1st economic plan

Some of the new measures included in the province's plan are:

• Tax credit, known as LIFT, for low-income workers earning around $30,000 per year. According to the government, a full-time minimum wage worker would pay no provincial income tax and save as much as $850 each year for a single person or $1,250 for households with two eligible workers. Approximately 1.1 million people will see the benefit, the government said. It is set to take effect on Jan. 1, 2019.
  • Exempting new rental units from rent control, which the government says will encourage developers to build more affordable housing.
  • Cutting the number of legislative officers from nine to six. CBC Toronto previously reported that would include the environmental commissioner, child and youth advocate and French language commissioner positions.
  • Cancelling a planned surtax on some of the highest earning Ontarians proposed by the previous Liberal government in its last budget that would have generated $275 million in revenue.
  • Cancelling a proposed French-language university, on top of three other cancelled university satellite campuses in the Greater Toronto Area.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
LIFT sounds nice, until people realize that the now-rolled-back minimum wage increase would've been much better.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Honestly, nothing says that the Conservative government doesn't know what in the ever living fuck what to do more than them reinstantiating the fucking period of Rent-Control from A FIXED DATE OF FUCKING TODAY.

I mean, are you fucking kidding me. You are putting back in place a policy by all accounts over several decades was shown did absolutely fuck all at increasing the housing supply, but also, you are repeating the fucking mistake of the past by hard coding right into the legislation that it is a god damned fixed date. Like For Fucks Sake, an absolute idiot could have written better legislation than that. All they needed to do was make it a dynamic rolling date of "Unit Construction Date + 20 years" and there wouldn't be any problems at all because Units would be naturally going into the market, and then under control long after the owner had turned a fucking profit.

You know, actual sensible fucking policy. Instead of this bullshit that will put every new unit onto the market as not under control, to the point that it'll become an issue again that will need to be solved. Basically a case of shit or get off the pot. Either we have Rent Control, We don't, or if we have to have both, we have a system to move rental units from one regulatory scheme to the other. But we can't stop aimlessly swinging back and forth like this. That shit kills investor and developer confidence faster than doing nothing at all.

And don't even get me started on the rest of the fucking bullshit that came out today.

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

On peut vraiment abolir le comissariat aux langues officielles dans une province? I thought it was kind of mandatory past a certain threshold of population. I suppose this could open the door to BC or even QC to cut second language services. Funnily if QC would do the same thing all of the usual columnists would call the province racist. I'm not seeing this with Ford. It seems to be only an issue on TVA and Rad-Can.

Status
Not open for further replies.