• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
There was some new information in this thread about the Switch sales in Canada, thanks to NextGenPlayer:

I can't make new posts, but here are the NPD October results for Canada:
  • Nintendo Switch was the most-sold video game system in October (the hardware remains the best-selling video game system of 2017)
  • Nintendo systems (Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS systems and SNES Classic) accounted for 62% of all video game hardware sold in October
  • The Super Mario Odyssey game for Nintendo Switch emerged as the top-selling video game of the month on the NPD sales chart, even though it launched at the end of the month on Oct. 27
  • One of every four dollars spent on video game software in October was spent on a Nintendo title, making Nintendo the number one game publisher in October (Nintendo remains the number one game publisher for all of 2017, with 23% share of spending)

Source: Nintendo of Canada PR via email.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoo, go Canada. Proud of you all :)

On topic, this is the kind of mainstream momentum Nintendo has not had for a very long time, and now that they do with such a disruptive device, others in the industry should be making very careful note of.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Wait... are we going to start getting Canada specific numbers instead of just rolling us out with the States?

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good for them, but I expected it. New Console, new Games and the other consoles probably reach some form of saturation at a few price points.
Still, good for Nintendo, hopefully it doesn't backfire somewhere along the way. =)

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo has a great month.
Also, it's nice seeing the data specific to Canada instead of wondering if we're included in the US North American ones.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it will last but this is like when the DS and Wii were on top and selling like 2/3s of all hardware.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I can't see this holding at all because the one two punch of Odyssey and SNES Classic fever is a pretty unique force of nature, but it's cool to see the number sway so aggressively, even if only for a month!

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Guess Canada does like the switch more than murka. Down there PS4 is still ahead ytd

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Canada basically supercharges USA numbers. Anything done in the US you can add 10-12% to get North American totals, less Mexico. Canada is also traditionally more Nintendo friendly than even the USA.

Deleted member 21094

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Over here it seemed like Nintendo was never really out of fashion, love it

I still remember lining for my preorder on release day, I was surprised people actually cared

bobeth

Oct 28, 2017
We've always been a Nintendo land. I'm very happy for Nintendo, I think what they did with the Switch so far is unique and exciting, and deserves the success it has.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
We've always been a Nintendo land. I'm very happy for Nintendo, I think what they did with the Switch so far is unique and exciting, and deserves the success it has.

Hardware share 62% and hardware ordering Switch #1 and SNES classic #2 is pretty similar to US numbers.

I think what seperates us a little bit more is SMO being #1. I assume the game is still #1 even with all SKU included on the multiplats and without eshop numbers.

OP
OP
rzmunch

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
How is the retail stock looking for the holidays?

Also nice to know that Nintendo is #1 publisher with 23% of the 2017 software sales, thats a lot. Wich are the other big publishers EA?

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware share 62% and hardware ordering Switch #1 and SNES classic #2 is pretty similar to US numbers.

I think what seperates us a little bit more is SMO being #1. I assume the game is still #1 even with all SKU included on the multiplats and without eshop numbers.
unless SMO is also #1 by revenue in Canadian NPD they're actually the same on that front

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
  • The Super Mario Odyssey game for Nintendo Switch emerged as the top-selling video game of the month on the NPD sales chart, even though it launched at the end of the month on Oct. 27
Hot damn
  • One of every four dollars spent on video game software in October was spent on a Nintendo title, making Nintendo the number one game publisher in October (Nintendo remains the number one game publisher for all of 2017, with 23% share of spending)
HOT DAMN

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think it's interesting that the Switch is #1 YTD in Canada for hardware sales.

Much like Japan, The United States, France, and Germany, Nintendo is poised for a very strong holiday in this country.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Canada has pretty much always been Nintendoland hasn't it? Maybe not during Wii U, but otherwise.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Now EA. Open your god damn eyes and release a NHL game on it! Canada will buy all your copies!

NextGenPlayer

Oct 28, 2017
Toronto, Canada

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada

Good lord, a single publisher owning that much software revenue is pretty impressive in itself. Even more crazy that it's Nintendo, not one of the third parties publishing to every major platform.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a new Canadian Switch owner, I am glad to hear this.

I just hope we get better sales.