• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/economy-adds-record-jobs-april-1.5130682
Canada's labour market delivered a surprise Friday with its biggest one-month employment surge since 1976, when the government started collecting comparable data.

The country added 106,500 net jobs in April, and the bulk of them were full time, Statistics Canada said in its latest labour force survey.

The unexpected increase helped drop the unemployment rate to 5.7 per cent last month, from 5.8 per cent in March.

The labour market has seen strong employment numbers since mid-2016 and has remained a bright spot for an economy that has struggled in other areas — to the point it almost stalled over the winter.

Employment grew 0.6 per cent with the April increase — the highest proportional monthly expansion since 1994.

Labour Force Survey, April 2019

Employment rose by 107,000 in April, with notable gains in part-time work for youth. The unemployment rate declined by 0.1 percentage points to 5.7% as more people participated in the labour market.

On a year-over-year basis, employment grew by 426,000 (+2.3%), with gains in both full-time (+248,000) and part-time (+179,000) work. Over the same period, total hours worked were up 1.3%.

To explore the most recent results from the Labour Force Survey in an interactive format, visit the "Labour Force Survey in brief: Interactive app."

Youth employment continues upward trend

Among youth aged 15 to 24, overall employment rose by 47,000 in April, driven by a strong increase in part-time work (+66,000). The youth unemployment rate was 10.3%, the lowest rate since comparable data became available in 1976. On a year-over-year basis, youth employment was up by 89,000 (+3.6%), entirely due to gains in 2019.

Among those aged 55 and older, employment increased by 34,000 in April, primarily due to gains for men in this age category (+26,000). The unemployment rate for people aged 55 and older decreased by 0.2 percentage points to 5.3% as more people participated in the labour market. Compared with 12 months earlier, employment for this age group was up by 161,000 (+4.0%).

Employment increased by 24,000 in April for women in the core working ages of 25 to 54, while it was little changed for their male counterparts. The unemployment rate for this age group was 4.8% for women and 5.0% for men. On a year-over-year basis, employment increased by 103,000 (+1.8%) among core-aged women and by 74,000 (+1.2%) among core-aged men.

Canada–US comparison

Adjusted to US concepts, the unemployment rate in Canada was 4.7% in April, compared with 3.6% in the United States. On a year-over-year basis, the unemployment rate declined by 0.2 percentage points in Canada and by 0.3 percentage points in the United States.

The labour force participation rate in Canada (adjusted to US concepts) was 65.8% in April, compared with 62.8% in the United States. Compared with 12 months earlier, the participation rate increased by 0.5 percentage points in Canada, while it was unchanged in the United States.

The US-adjusted employment rate in Canada was 62.7% in April, compared with 60.6% in the United States. On a year-over-year basis, the employment rate rose by 0.6 percentage points in Canada and was little changed in the United States.

For more information on Canada–US comparisons, see "Measuring Employment and Unemployment in Canada and the United States – A comparison."

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything in particular driving this? It's described as a surprise.

OP
OP
Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
April is also the month when the federal carbon tax being imposed on Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick took affect. So far we seem to have avoid a "carbon tax recession".

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Adjusted to US concepts, the unemployment rate in Canada was 4.7% in April, compared with 3.6% in the United States. On a year-over-year basis, the unemployment rate declined by 0.2 percentage points in Canada and by 0.3 percentage points in the United States.

The labour force participation rate in Canada (adjusted to US concepts) was 65.8% in April, compared with 62.8% in the United States. Compared with 12 months earlier, the participation rate increased by 0.5 percentage points in Canada, while it was unchanged in the United States.

Labour Participation is much lower in the US, which is probably why unemployment rate is lower.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I often get emails saying as a power plant dude with computer science and other things they'd expedite a visa for immigration to get me in one of their plants. Thing is they always wanna make it one of the arctic plants where they fly you to an island for 6 months at a time to work. I'm already too rural for my tastes. I dont wanna know what it'd be like to reenact The Thing.

Put me someplace near one of the major cities though and I'd be willing to listen to numbers from about anyone.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes please. If Jagmeet actually had a chance I would pivot, but I need whoever can beat Scheer as Scheer will be the worst thing to happen to Canada in a while - as he's worse than Harper. He actively endorsed protest groups that had white nationalism elements.

Trump's victory is seeing its share of ripple effect in our homeland.

That said, how Trudeau deals with the whole SNC-Lavalin situation could play into the election.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And yet when I tried finding a job last year nobody would fucking hire me, not even part-time for minimum wage and no benefits.

nuffDREW4two

Oct 27, 2017
Surprising news given all those teachers ford is firing...
I believe the jobs are going away through attrition as opposed to direct firing - which I think is an important distinction to make. In the end, does is matter much? No. The remaining teachers will have to deal with larger class sizes, and new teachers coming out of university won't have the chance to fill the vacancies left by those retiring.

Here in Alberta, I'm dreading what the UCP has planned now that they're in power. Alberta's already too dependent on oil and gas, and the last thing we need is to double down on it given the current world market. Not looking forward to what they have planned at the expense of social and environmental programs/policies.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so things are going better than what the Cons suggest they are? Looks like it's time for voters to bring in the wrecking crew like they always do.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Really means nothing with stagnent wage growth and cost of living in cities rising. Trudeau is done anyway next election. Pity he didn't implement PR like he promised. Now he's about to lose because of a lack of it