• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
OTTAWA – The House of Commons has passed a motion declaring a national climate emergency, and supporting Canada's commitment to meet the Paris Agreement emissions target

Conservative MPs voted against the motion, but it still passed 186-63 with the support of the Liberals, New Democrats, Bloc Quebecois and Green MPs. The motion was was put forward by Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna.

The motion describes climate change as a "real and urgent crisis, driven by human activity," notes how it is impacting Canadians, and states the need to pursue clean growth methods to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Given this, the House has voted to "declare that Canada is in a national climate emergency which requires, as a response, that Canada commit to meeting its national emissions target under the Paris Agreement and to making deeper reductions in line with the Agreement's objective of holding global warming below two degrees Celsius and pursuing efforts to keep global warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius."

Forcing a vote on the motion meant all MPs had to stand up and be counted, whether or not they support Canada meeting the Paris targets. This motion appeared to be drafted with Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer in mind.

My apologies if previously posted, but I searched "Canada", "Emergency" "Climate", etc but could find nothing.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Hopefully this amounts to more than just a promise to work towards an agreement that probably does too little.

Also fuck the current state of conservatism. What the hell is the point of these people? Are they just going to be reactionary and contrarian on everything? The ignorance of these politicians and the people that blindly support them has passed the point where it is dangerous to civilization.

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck getting anyone to care. I still suspect that most people's opinions on climate change align more with the Conservatives.

Still a good move overall. I want climate change to be the #1 issue this election instead of identity politics like the Conservatives will inevitably try to make it about like last time.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good. Hopefully this amounts to more than just a promise to work towards an agreement that probably does too little.

Also fuck the current state of conservatism. What the hell is the point of these people? Are they just going to be reactionary and contrarian on everything? The ignorance of these politicians and the people that blindly support them has passed the point where it is dangerous to civilization.
Welcome to a while now?

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Wasn't Scheer supposed to release his climate change platform with "clean, ethical oil" being focus of it?