• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Caz I read that story by Amy McPherson and I just can't follow the narrative.
Short version: The Buffalo Chronicle is a literal fake news outlet which has ties to Roger Stone (needs no introduction) and Frank Parlato Jr. (an ultra wealthy American jackal who made their fortune via gentrification) that's been pumping out a ton of disinformation throughout this election (it would also explain where they got the idea to Canadaland, an actual C a C&D order after they reported on them being serial liars). That was my understanding of the article; the fact that they have ties to Roger Stone or any of his associates at all set off a room full of alarm bells for me.

Deleted member 3968

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those BC polls are interesting but meaningless without riding polls to go with them. Wouldn't matter as much if we had PR (thx Justin) but with FPTP it makes it all the more important to not let the cons win.

Probably gonna be stuck voting liberal but it would have been nice to have actual data and choices to go on.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I looked at that 338 canada site to check what my (albertan) district is looking like and its the only place in the province that is leaning towards likely liberal

Ay dios mio

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
oh wow

wind is shifting, hold onto yer butts

still think the NDP has a pretty good chance of ending this with less seats than they had going in but it won't be a disaster for them, and makes a near-term next election pretty interesting... if they can find more money

Yeah, after getting massacred in Quebec it was basically impossible for them to have a positive seat change. Props to Singh though, I don't love him but he has campaigned well enough to stop the bleeding to a surprising degree. I wonder how many former NDP MPs regret their decision to not run again.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The BC numbers don't surprise me. As bad as the local NDP shit has been on the bridge and ride sharing, I think they have engendered a lot of good will locally by being nit as blatantly corrupt as the BC libs. All of the local NDP thereafter transfers to gold will federally.

They don't stand a chance in my riding so no need to worry about voting for them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Short version: The Buffalo Chronicle is a literal fake news outlet which has ties to Roger Stone (needs no introduction) and Frank Parlato Jr. (an ultra wealthy American jackal who made their fortune via gentrification) that's been pumping out a ton of disinformation throughout this election (it would also explain where they got the idea to Canadaland, an actual C a C&D order after they reported on them being serial liars). That was my understanding of the article; the fact that they have ties to Roger Stone or any of his associates at all set off a room full of alarm bells for me.

That part I got it's the using lawsuits to gain access to our resources via indigenous peoples or something.

I've read of the Koch Bros(Atlas Network) encouraging them to seperate from Canada and take land with them, which is where some of the negativity toward Trudeau comes from as I recall.

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Normally I don't give polls too much credence, but this specific poll shows the party I like doing well, so I have decided to believe it is, in fact, very accurate

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Those BC polls are interesting but meaningless without riding polls to go with them. Wouldn't matter as much if we had PR (thx Justin) but with FPTP it makes it all the more important to not let the cons win.

Probably gonna be stuck voting liberal but it would have been nice to have actual data and choices to go on.

What riding are you in that you figure you should go Liberal if the NDP is running second place in BC? Vancouver South, White Rock? Somewhere else in the Fraser Valley?

My take from this poll is that "ABC" City of Vancouver voters aside from Vancouver South should probably go NDP. Surrey go NDP, Richmond Lib maybe? Tri-Cities NDP, elsewhere in the valley Liberal? Kelowna Liberal.

Edit: Forgot about Vancouver Quadra. Probably gotta vote Liberal here too I'd think.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
heh, yeah. i listened to Oppo just today and it's safe to say Ling is not taking that C&D very seriously. had no idea about the Rogers Stone connection
Yeah, after getting massacred in Quebec it was basically impossible for them to have a positive seat change. Props to Singh though, I don't love him but he has campaigned well enough to stop the bleeding to a surprising degree. I wonder how many former NDP MPs regret their decision to not run again.
well, who could have forseen Zombie Bloc

Oct 25, 2017
B.C. PoliERA: What are your thoughts on the current Horgan-led NDP/Green coalition?

the daycare subsidies they introduced are life altering. My kids daycare no longer costs more than our rent. That alone makes me less pissed at how they're dicking around with the teacher contracts and making our lives incredibly anxious.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
What riding are you in that you figure you should go Liberal if the NDP is running second place in BC? Vancouver South, White Rock? Somewhere else in the Fraser Valley?

My take from this poll is that "ABC" City of Vancouver voters aside from Vancouver South should probably go NDP. Surrey go NDP, Richmond Lib maybe? Tri-Cities NDP, elsewhere in the valley Liberal? Kelowna Liberal.

Edit: Forgot about Vancouver Quadra. Probably gotta vote Liberal here too I'd think.

White Rock here, what uppppp, will always be voting Liberal because it's a CPC stronghold otherwise. Haha.

Not that 338 means much but Greens are at 9%, NDP at 7. CPC is 41 vs LPC 35 right now.

I encourage NDP votes where they count for ABC though.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no one but the Liberals have a shot in White Rock. Good Luck!

Gordie Hogg is a pretty popular dude so it's possible he could hang on but the odds are against him.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
My imidiate family are scattered in 4 different ridings all voting Liberal,

my sister convinced her husband to go vote too, for astronaut Marc Garneau in NDG

my Dad is voting for Alexandra Mendes in Brossard

My bro is voting for some backbencher ginger Downtown

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
White Rock here, what uppppp, will always be voting Liberal because it's a CPC stronghold otherwise. Haha.

Not that 338 means much but Greens are at 9%, NDP at 7. CPC is 41 vs LPC 35 right now.

I encourage NDP votes where they count for ABC though.
White rock? Woah what are you doing in my neck of the wood!? Somehow I thought you're in coquitlam area! Also that area is forever conservative lol

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
White rock? Woah what are you doing in my neck of the wood!? Somehow I thought you're in coquitlam area! Also that area is forever conservative lol

I live out here! Haha.

And yeah, I think the only reason we had Gordie Hogg was because of the by-election and shitty Diane Watts leaving. 🤷🏻‍♀️

But will try to get Gordie voted back in!

Oct 25, 2017
My new riding, Victoria, looks to lean NDP over Green so I guess I'll vote NDP? I've always voted Liberal but I'd rather NDP than Greens so...

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
My new riding, Victoria, looks to lean NDP over Green so I guess I'll vote NDP? I've always voted Liberal but I'd rather NDP than Greens so...

Victoria is shaping up to be a NDP vs Green toss up. It has been an NDP riding for a while, but the incumbent retired and the Greens are gunning hard for it. Vote however you'd like. Conservatives have absolutely no chance.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
B.C. PoliERA: What are your thoughts on the current Horgan-led NDP/Green coalition?

Except for some major issues like electoral reform, I am fairly satisfied with their performance so far. Really... ANYTHING is better than having the BC Liberals (despite the name they are a RIGHT-WING PARTY economically and a libertarian party socially) in power, selling off our province's assets to their rich friends, and privatizing more and more services so that their rich friends can [try to*] profit.

*Some Provincial parks that had free parking since forever switched over to pay parking years ago. The pay parking was handled by a private company, owned by another one of the BC Liberal party's rich friends, of course. But said company couldn't turn a profit from this endeavour, and ended up abandoning it, and the park became free to park in again.

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Heading into the weekend the NDP in BC appear to have surged past the Liberals so perhaps my dream of Hedy Fry being ousted from her seat will become a reality.

If you're in BC and you feel you may need to vote "strategically" to keep out the Conservatives, the Liberal candidate may not be the best choice.

Bit of a Green drop there too. Perhaps the NDP will take back the Nanaimo seat they lost in the byelection.

I used to be in the riding of Vancouver Kingsway, a safe-ish NDP seat. Unfortunately, the riding boundaries got redrawn before the 2015 election, and I was moved over to the neighbouring riding of Vancouver South, which, shamefully, was the only Vancouver riding to go to the Conservatives in 2011. Unlike too many of the voters in Ontario, I am able to put country/province before party, so in 2015 I held my nose and voted Liberal - the NDP candidate in Vancouver South was not a serious contender, she came in a distant third.

And because Trudeau broke his promise on electoral reform, I had to hold my nose and vote Liberal once again - ARGH!!! It's a tight race between the Liberals and the Conservatives in this riding, probably tighter than last time...

Last edited:

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
For someone who cared about PR and the environment, he certainly flipflopped so fast with the half assed referendum and the construction of LNG Canada Kitimat and B.C. Hydro's new Site C dam.

I'm indifferent to B.C. politics because neither are social conservatives. The only thing I can take from Horgan at this time is the end of MSP starting next year. For a such a progressive province in a country that has free healthcare, it's kinda odd that we always have to pay $37 a month for it.

Wasn't it free before - until Gordon Campbell of the BC Liberals made premiums a thing?

Anyone know? My memory is foggy on this.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Let me get this straight.

Warren Kinsella was paid money.

To try and make the PPC.

Look racist.

I should've gone into politics.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017

If you're in Vancouver Granville then vote for Jody Wilson-Raybould - INDEPENDENT.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
JWR is pretty bad, I mean not talking about SNC in anyway. But she bungled Huawei (played into Trump), delayed Cannabis legalization, and she and her husband spent $150,000 in travel expenses (all 36 cabinet members and their families only have a total of like $350k-400k budget). Even if there was no SNC scandal and her getting das boot from the party, she's not that great. Unless you just want her to sit in parliament as an ABC.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let me get this straight, Canada has about 60-70% of the population voting for three centre left - left leaning parties, yet still uses first past the post. Potentially letting 30% of population take the country in a direction no one voted for, is this something that will change? Seems broken

Frimaire

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So let me get this straight, Canada has about 60-70% of the population voting for three centre left - left leaning parties, yet still uses first past the post. Potentially letting 30% of population take the country in a direction no one voted for, is this something that will change? Seems broken
It does seem that way, doesn't it?
Somebody should really try to fix that...

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's because it is. But no one who campaigns on electoral reform has enough of a spine to implement it without a referendum, and when a referendum is put out for a vote, it includes the status quo "No" on the ballot that is then accompanied by a smear campaign (mostly by the right wing, but also centrists when their party isn't in power) that suppresses the "Yes" vote. Which is likely what those politicians want to happen, since... hey, they just won, FPTP works for them again (until it suddenly doesn't), and a referendum means they technically fulfilled their campaign promise. Trudeau took it a step further and backed down from the referendum entirely.

Yeah, it's all a giant bag of horseshit, we are aware.

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep, but no party will support the conservatives unless they get a decent sized minority which is not likely at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up losing like 160-115 to the Liberals at this point.At least were I live in Alberta provincially the party who wins always forms a majority government with between 40 and 55 percent of the vote.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Somebody should probably run on a platform of implementing voting reform, I bet they'd do really well and people would like them when they followed through on their campaign promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.