• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

Lemme help you out my man

LG UJ: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uj6300

Vizio M: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-xled-2017

Sony KD: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x720e

Your two Vizio TVs are the same device, just different sizes.

I would personally read each of the Rtings reviews because they go crazy in depth. But for a quick take, get either of the Vizio M TVs, they have the highest review scores.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is that the same as ending your membership?
No, it just turns off auto-renew and your membership will end on the date it was supposed to. If you want to end it right away you have to contact CSR.

Cross-posting from the Super Nt thread.

OCpXCZJl.jpg

All I need. Well, except I'm ordering an extension cable because I like to use my OEM SNES controller.
I already owned the SD2SNES and the two games (plus many more not pictured). I just included those games in the pic since they're not supported on the SD2SNES. I'm thinking about switching out the SD2SNES case for a black one now.

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Wait for clearances on the Vizio M or P series or the Sony X900E TVs. It's March. The next few months are when all the new TVs start coming out. Of what you linked I'd take the Vizio M55.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Wait for clearances on the Vizio M or P series or the Sony X900E TVs. It's March. The next few months are when all the new TVs start coming out. Of what you linked I'd take the Vizio M55.
The Vizio is on sale for 799.99 right now. Can I expect it cheaper? Sadly it's OOS at bestbuy. Will anywhere else have it that will price match?

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The Vizio is on sale for 799.99 right now. Can I expect it cheaper? Sadly it's OOS at bestbuy. Will anywhere else have it that will price match?
It's been that price for months at Costco so not really a sale price but they have price protection. If you have Costco membership and don't mind transporting it, call and check for stock as it might be $50 cheaper in store.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Rtings.com will explain it better than anyone here.
Yeah I took a quick peak when I was there. Apparently its the color gamut and contrast levels being much better in the M.

Was sad I couldnt get it when I was there today. Had the my son with me so I couldn't fit it in. Will go grab it later tonight. It was 749.99 to as Firestorm mentioned

Anybody know the best deal for a PS4Pro? Is the value of my launch PS4 worth it to just trade into EB?

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yeah I took a quick peak when I was there. Apparently its the color gamut and contrast levels being much better in the M.

Was sad I couldnt get it when I was there today. Had the my son with me so I couldn't fit it in. Will go grab it later tonight. It was 749.99 to as Firestorm mentioned

Anybody know the best deal for a PS4Pro? Is the value of my launch PS4 worth it to just trade into EB?
Try to get one at a 20x points day at Shoppers Drug Mart or 20% off Seniors Day or something. The last good trade in promo was Black Friday where it was $200 after PS4 trade in but doubt we'll see that again anytime soon.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Try to get one at a 20x points day at Shoppers Drug Mart or 20% off Seniors Day or something. The last good trade in promo was Black Friday where it was $200 after PS4 trade in but doubt we'll see that again anytime soon.
Seniors day would be a good one. Save 100 bucks. Sell my Ps4 for 200. Only cost me 200 bucks haha.

Cant wait to see how good it looks.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a text from Public Mobile. They are still trying to get us to switch to Koodo. They now say that Koodo is offering 6gb for $40. I don't know the rest of the details.

Details:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/targeted-public-mobile-12-120-koodo-6gb-40-no-referrals-2176289/

Got the same. I still see no reason to switch. Prepaid with the data bucket for 90 days is incredibly convenient and peace of mind for cost containment ("no surprises").

Years ago on a post paid plan I got ONE overage from a glitching app, and that single overage charge wiped out a year's worth of promo savings.

Never again.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Got the same. I still see no reason to switch. Prepaid with the data bucket for 90 days is incredibly convenient and peace of mind for cost containment ("no surprises").

Years ago on a post paid plan I got ONE overage from a glitching app, and that single overage charge wiped out a year's worth of promo savings.

Never again.
Yeah. I'm hesitant and it's obvious they will raise the price on the Koodo plan at some point down the line. It seems they are helpless to change the Public Mobile plan at this point and are desperate to get people to move. My only concern is that Telus just flat out closes Public Mobile down but I think even in that case they would still have to honour the deal.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm also looking for a TV, but can't decide on what brand to go with, let alone which TV. I have a problem deciding on big purchases and get buyer's remorse easily. Hell, I almost bought a Vizio well over a year ago; brought it up to the cash and then chickened out because I wasn't sure if it was the right TV to purchase.

Vizio is one I've been looking at, though, because it's cheap and my budget isn't massive. I've also heard good things about them. I worry that by buying one I'll regret going with a B manufacturer instead of waiting for a sale on a good TV from an A one.

My friend has all Samsung TVs, but I've never been crazy about them for whatever reason.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I'm hesitant and it's obvious they will raise the price on the Koodo plan at some point down the line. It seems they are helpless to change the Public Mobile plan at this point and are desperate to get people to move. My only concern is that Telus just flat out closes Public Mobile down but I think even in that case they would still have to honour the deal.

I'm no fortune teller but I strongly doubt they will close the brand. Besides still advertising (I see signs in Toronto) it has a stellar reputation and I assume low overhead with no troubleshooting phones, billing disputes, vendors to pay, etc. Also every brand has a prepaid wing (lucky mobile by bell just opened). Lots of cost conscious people who will only get prepaid plans, parents, small business owners, new immigrants, and tourists.

At worst, I think when 5G becomes more widespread they will not offer it to us on PM, and no support for sim-free devices like apple watch.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm also looking for a TV, but can't decide on what brand to go with, let alone which TV. I have a problem deciding on big purchases and get buyer's remorse easily. Hell, I almost bought a Vizio well over a year ago; brought it up to the cash and then chickened out because I wasn't sure if it was the right TV to purchase.

Vizio is one I've been looking at, though, because it's cheap and my budget isn't massive. I've also heard good things about them. I worry that by buying one I'll regret going with a B manufacturer instead of waiting for a sale on a good TV from an A one.

My friend has all Samsung TVs, but I've never been crazy about them for whatever reason.

You want an A manufacturer but aren't crazy about Samsung?

Just go with the Vizio

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

I was at Costco today and will be going back tonight to grab the Vizio M55. It was beside a Sony and it absolutely crushed it from a quick peak. They were both around the same price.

Rtings says its the best deal too. I may check out the P series to see if its worth the extra dollars.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I may have to go to Costco with family and buy it there. I don't have a membership, but do know that their warranties are great as is their customer service.

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
My only issue with the M series is that it only has one port that can do 4K HDR at full framerate and it's the HDMI Arc port as well which limits your speaker options a bit. The P series isn't as restricted in that regard but is more. As someone who only uses his TV for games, Netflix, YouTube, Twitch, and Plex I prefer the Vizio P to Sony X900E. The Vizio can do Dolby Vision whereas the Sony cannot unless you step up to X930E.
Just got a text from Public Mobile. They are still trying to get us to switch to Koodo. They now say that Koodo is offering 6gb for $40. I don't know the rest of the details.

Details:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/targeted-public-mobile-12-120-koodo-6gb-40-no-referrals-2176289/
Yeeeah I think I'm gonna switch. My friends are likely to jump ship for 33% more data at the same price so I'd lose my referrals anyway. Might as well buy the Essential Phone on tab when I switch as my cousin needs a phone and I can sell it at cost. I prefer the Public Mobile travel add-on but meh. The $100 referral deal on right now is nice too.

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I may have to go to Costco with family and buy it there. I don't have a membership, but do know that their warranties are great as is their customer service.
Yup it is also cheaper then anywhere else currently. That's for the 55in M Series. It's 749.99, everywhere else has it for 799.99 or more.

I'll give you an update after I get it all set up with the rtings recommended adjustments.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I watched some of Altered Carbon in Dolby Vision on my Vizio P and it might be the most visually impressive thing I've ever seen on a TV screen

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Yup it is also cheaper then anywhere else currently. That's for the 55in M Series. It's 749.99, everywhere else has it for 799.99 or more.

I'll give you an update after I get it all set up with the rtings recommended adjustments.

Thanks

I'll probably wait until I find a place and move before buying it or something similar, but will ask family to take me there to look. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy it that way, even if I'd have to go through them for any issues, though I'd hope there won't be any.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
My only issue with the M series is that it only has one port that can do 4K HDR at full framerate and it's the HDMI Arc port as well which limits your speaker options a bit. The P series isn't as restricted in that regard but is more. As someone who only uses his TV for games, Netflix, YouTube, Twitch, and Plex I prefer the Vizio P to Sony X900E. The Vizio can do Dolby Vision whereas the Sony cannot unless you step up to X930E.

My TV had the same limitation, so I bought a Sewell brand Switchdeck to add 5 additional 4K HDR ports.

I have since upgraded my AV receiver to 4K HDR, and no longer need the Switchdeck, so if you or anyone with a TV that only has 1 HDR port wants my Switchdeck at a reasonable price please PM me.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It might be. The offer is just way too great and hard to pass by.
Yup and only offered to Public subs. Guaranteed it's to avoid repayment of something. Lower that cash flow, incentivize people to stay under the Telus umbrella. That $40 dollars to Koodo may be more valuable then $120 at Public.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
It's a normal business strategy. Move people up the value chain.

Someone who is enticed by 6 GB is also someone who probably gets overages.

Plus now they can sell people phones, roaming packs, etc. And monthly prices can increase with adequate notice.

If you're ever on a prepaid plan, you'll get offers to move up.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
FFS some of them don't even mentioned that it's sponsored. I don't like MKBHD much but I'm glad he didn't do this.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Vizio M55. Hooked it all up. Watched 4K Planet Earth, looked amazing. I still have to go though and do the optimal configuration Rtings recommends.

Can't wait to get a Pro and see how Horizon and MHW look.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
FFS some of them don't even mentioned that it's sponsored. I don't like MKBHD much but I'm glad he didn't do this.
MKBHD is a little more infrequent with it, but he pretty grossly shills for Dbrand phone skins as well. I assume not, but it's to the point where I think he might be a part owner or maybe his friend owns the company or something because it's so egregious.

Native advertising is the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.