BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Jon James McMurray passed away on Saturday while filming an airplane stunt in British Columbia, multiple outlets report.

The Canadian rapper was filming a video when he fell to his death while walking on the wing of a plane. "He died filming a project he had been working on for months," his management team said in a statement, confirming the 34-year-old's passing. "His final act included performing an airplane stunt that included rapping while walking on the wing. He had trained intensely for this stunt, however, as Jon got further out onto the wing of the plane, it caused the small Cessna to go into a downward spiral that the pilot couldn't correct."

"Jon held onto the wing until it was too late, and by the time he let go, he didn't have time to pull his chute," the statement continued. "He impacted and died instantly."

https://www.eonline.com/news/979587/canadian-rapper-jon-james-mcmurray-dies-filming-airplane-stunt

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Was his rap name actually Jon James McMurray because that really doesn't roll off the tongue. I feel like Lil Jon would have worked better.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
So did the plane crash or it nosedived and when he let go the pilot corrected themselves and landed?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
That seems like something they shouldve worked out beforehand no?

Looking up his history, it seems like he had a habit of flirting with death with some of his stunts. It just seems like this was something above and beyond what he'd done up until that point, and didn't realize the gravity of it in the moment. All the training in the world means nothing if panic sets in and wipes all that away.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He had trained intensely for this stunt, however, as Jon got further out onto the wing of the plane, it caused the small Cessna to go into a downward spiral that the pilot couldn't correct.

Did they not include the pilot on this training? What a horrible way to go.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Looking up his history, it seems like he had a habit of flirting with death with some of his stunts. It just seems like this was something above and beyond what he'd done up until that point, and didn't realize the gravity of it in the moment. All the training in the world means nothing if panic sets in and wipes all that away.
Or if your pilot is an idiot that didnt think having a a couple hundred pounds on the wing of a small plane wouldn't cause some problems.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I heard about that. Somehow training intensely must have not included moment of inertia. A Cessna is not a big aircraft and an adult walking out onto the wing is going to push down quite a bit.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. They couldn't have done this on the ground with some effects for safety?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So there was no one that said, "This is a bad idea, guys."

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
This would have been obvious if they did a weight and balance calculation beforehand...

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it says that he couldnt open his parachute, so i was thinking, that maybe if you really want to make this kind of stunt maybe you should a remote control to the parachute, that could be really helpful

also how far up was the plane?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
No puns intended?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Caught between two minds I guess, letting go too late. You would think they would know about the weight effect and also do the stunt at a higher altitude in case it went wrong. He wasn't a stuntman so you can't guarantee anything much at all like letting go earlier. Poor planning and stupidity all round.

How do you even walk on a wing without getting blown off?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit he was flying while doing this? I though the plane was landed and he fell of the wing onto pavement. Got damn

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking dumbass.... Of course someone's weight on a cessna's wing will cause an imbalace...

I'm just glad he didn't bring the pilot down with him

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The song lyric he was in middle of saying was "living it high, loving getting high...."

In all serious, hope his loved ones are gonna be alright. I don't know how I'd react and be able to move on from news like this.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.newsweek.com/who-was-jo...er-falls-death-plane-wing-video-stunt-1183092

Born in Calgary, McMurray pursued music after a back injury cut short a promising skiing career. He was known for performing stunts in his videos.

He was a renowned action sports personality who appeared in a number of films. He rapped under the name Jon James, releasing an album called Rex Leo in 2016, recording five videos for tracks on the album.

However, he had also suffered a number of serious injuries performing stunts in a career in which he underwent seven surgeries, including ones for a fractured neck and broken back.

He was an accomplished skier and was the first in the world to backflip from one rail to another.

Oct 27, 2017
This is dumber than when Obama's administration had planes fly over New York city for a photo shoot when they could have just photoshopped it all.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Between this an all this selfie induced deaths, we could have a new season of 1000 ways to die easily