• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Canadian school district canceled a book club event with an ISIS survivor over fear her new book would "foster Islamophobia."

Helen Fisher, the superintendent at the Toronto District School Board, said students would not be allowed to attend the event slated for February where Nobel Peace Prize winner and ISIS survivor Nadia Murad would discuss her new book The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight Against the Islamic State, which details how she was forced into sexual slavery at 14 and the rapes and torture she endured under ISIS.

Fisher's decision and comments faced heavy backlash among the community and students, causing the board to state the reversal did not represent the board's stance and board members were reviewing the material.
Tanya Lee, a mother in the community who ran the book club hosting the event, said she emailed Fisher with information on ISIS from the BBC and CNN.

"This is what Islamic State means," Lee said in the email obtained by the Telegraph. "It is a terrorist organisation. It has nothing to do with ordinary Muslims. The TDSB should be aware of the difference."

Lee said the event would continue in February, even if the board refused to let their students attend.
"The TDSB has not committed to letting their students attend. This is unfortunate for all involved," Lee continued. "It is a great loss to the students, community, and educators at the TDSB. The school board withdrawing their support means that they are not putting their students first — only their administration. Nadia Murad is a Nobel Peace Prize winning author and Human Rights Activist. We have so much to learn from her about the Triumph of The Human Spirit and the Will and The Ability to help others overcome tragedy. Nadia and her activism is an example to us all in all societies around the world."

More at:
gazette.com

Canadian school cancels event with ISIS survivor out of fear of offending Muslim students

A Canadian school district canceled a book club event with an ISIS survivor over fear her new book would "foster Islamophobia."

Cancel if old

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The only people I could see this offending are ISIS themselves, and who the fuck cares what ISIS thinks about anything?

I'm sure way more Canadian Muslims are offended by this speaker being cancelled, than they would have been had she spoken at this event.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
How about teaching the non-Muslim kids that being Muslim or Islam itself ≠ ISIS. I'd think people that already live that life know the difference. 🤦‍♂️

Seems like a teaching opportunity. Kids aren't difficult to teach when it comes to things like this.

It's the clueless adults you have to worry about...like the ones that made the initial decision to cancel.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Does this not conflate ISIS with Muslims as a whole (which they obviously aren't) and thus be more offensive than whatever people might take over the person speaking?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently also cancelled another event

The board also faced backlash for canceling another event with Marie Henein, a Canadian defense lawyer who represented a broadcaster named Jian Ghomeshi, who was acquitted of sexual assault.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I've never met a Muslim in Canada that would be angry if you shit-talked ISIS.

That's like canceling a KKK survivor's talk because you are afraid it might offend all the Christians.

Glad they flipped but questionable they were ever dumb enough to do that in the first place.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I think the problem might be that they're afraid the actions of ISIS, will be used to paint every muslim the same. And that of course commonly happens already. But it really frustrates me how the fact that people can take the WRONG read from something, generalize/stereotype based on something or dishonestly weaponize something, is trying to be curbed in this way that silences discussion of negative or even horrid things.

Last edited:

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
That this school would conflate ISIS with Islam tells me this cancellation probably isn't coming from a place of concern about Islamophobia.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
As a Muslim, I can see why they did this.
I know the huge difference between what ISIS believes in and islam, but I'd say that most westerners don't. And bringing someone to talk to young students about the terrible atrocities done to her and many others in the name of what those monsters claim was Islam can be misunderstood and used against average Muslims. I'd say that even people who think of themselves as educated in the matter think that ISIS are Muslim extremists, as in that they follow islam very strictly, which is incorrect. It's why even in mainstream western media the only "good" Muslims are the ones that don't really follow Islam (the only exception I've seen is Hassan from Midnight Mass)

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The optics of cancelling a talk by a survivor of war crimes and sex slavery is fucking sketchy, and if anything gives more ammunition to Islamophobes.

sckathian

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 25, 2021
I know the huge difference between what ISIS believes in and islam, but I'd say that most westerners don't. And bringing someone to talk to young students about the terrible atrocities done to her and many others in the name of what those monsters claim was Islam can be misunderstood and used against average Muslims. I'd say that even people who think of themselves as educated in the matter think that ISIS are Muslim extremists, as in that they follow islam very strictly, which is incorrect. It's why even in mainstream western media the only "good" Muslims are the ones that don't really follow Islam (the only exception I've seen is Hassan from Midnight Mass)

So Yazidi's should be silenced? They've just had a genocide. Its important for all religions that the actions of fanatics are shared so people understand how dangerous religious fanaticism is. The decision does the opposite as it suggests shes somehow speaking out again Muslims rather than telling about what happened when a bunch of nutters were allowed to seize control of the area her people have called home for centuries.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
The headline does not at all match the story and as a result the thread title doesn't either.

Edit: oh the headline is correct but the thread title is clickbait.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
So Yazidi's should be silenced?

Yes! That's exactly what I said. Good job! 👌🏽

I just said that their concerns are valid. I never said I agree with how they handled those concerns, I didn't say that they should cancel. You think people will read about this and think oh all religious fanaticism is bad? No the majority will just say Islam is bad. And it's not like Canada is filled with ISIS sympathizers or supporters that you have to convince people that ISIS is bad.

Oct 27, 2017

I can kinda see that being their reasoning too, but at the same time I think it's trying to solve a problem that's not there, or overcompensating or something. I don't think think Muslims there would really be up in arms about it; at least nothing in the article indicates that. And Islamophobes will keep doing their thing either way tbh.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So Yazidi's should be silenced? They've just had a genocide. Its important for all religions that the actions of fanatics are shared so people understand how dangerous religious fanaticism is. The decision does the opposite as it suggests shes somehow speaking out again Muslims rather than telling about what happened when a bunch of nutters were allowed to seize control of the area her people have called home for centuries.
ZiZ said they can see why they chose to make this decision, not that they agree with it or that Yazidis should be silenced.

sckathian

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 25, 2021
Yes! That's exactly what I said. Good job! 👌🏽

I just said that their concerns are valid. I never said I agree with how they handled those concerns, I didn't say that they should cancel. You think people will read about this and think oh all religious fanaticism is bad? No the majority will just say Islam is bad. And it's not like Canada is filled with ISIS sympathizers or supporters that you have to convince people that ISIS is bad.

Am sorry this is ridiculous. This is one of the most recent genocides in the world. Thousands murdered, thousands sold as slaves and raped/mistreated for years. There were literal slave markets where people went in the town and picked up their Yazidi slaves. Its fairly disgusting to suggest a victim is talking about this to push against ISIS sympathisers/supporters - their talking about their experience of events that took place practically yesterday.

Shes a nobel prize winner who this very article explains is an advocate for survivors. Thats literally all shes doing. Shes talking about her story and you shouldn't judge or suggest it shouldn't be heard because its not convenient. ISIS caused harm to many muslims as well and their stories are just as important.

A very short google search shows Muslims helped her escape into territory liberated by muslims fighting ISIS. Your point is totally reactionary to the negative.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Am sorry this is ridiculous. This is one of the most recent genocides in the world. Thousands murdered, thousands sold as slaves and raped/mistreated for years. There were literal slave markets where people went in the town and picked up their Yazidi slaves. Its fairly disgusting to suggest a victim is talking about this to push against ISIS sympathisers/supporters - their talking about their experience of events that took place practically yesterday.

Shes a nobel prize winner who this very article explains is an advocate for survivors. Thats literally all shes doing. Shes talking about her story and you shouldn't judge or suggest it shouldn't be heard because its not convenient. ISIS caused harm to many muslims as well and their stories are just as important.

A very short google search shows Muslims helped her escape into territory liberated by muslims fighting ISIS. Your point is totally reactionary to the negative.

Is it though? We live in a world of anti-maskers, covid deniers, and its a speech taking place where thankfully the US sucks up all the bigotry press in N. America so they end up covering up, I dunno, murdered indigenous children for the last hundred years or so. Your utopia of bigotry free rationality doesn't exist.

While I think she should speak, you 'Well it idiotic to think people would take the wrong lessons from it' completely ignores the state of the world today. I can't be mad at their concerns, even if I might feel its an overreaction.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The overwhelming majority of ISIS victims are Muslim. Why would they think Muslims would be offended about a speaker talking about the atrocities she faced and witnessed at their hands?