• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
thing is you cant even use this to argue that "cancel culture" is nothing. Because conservatives will just say he's so powerful and based that he defeated cancel culture lmao

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Saturday Night Live do a sketch about a game show where you were trying to figure out if someone was a Republican, and upon hearing "I like Dave Chappelle" the contestants get even more confused because they don't know if it's Chappelle's Show era Dave Chappelle where he's more known for speaking out about racism or modern Dave Chappelle where he's known primarily for transphobia? Or am I thinking of something else?

Just SNL once again not having any moral backbone worth a shit.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'd guess Lorne Michaels and his booking team think the republicans are gonna win big, Chappelle was also the host the week after Trump won in 2016 and the episode was watched a lot and in the news so looking to repeat history?

I'd expect a Chris Rock cameo and a repeat of something like this sketch again

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHG0ezLiVGc

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dave Chappelle is friends with a lot of these people so why would they be protesting him? Some of them even spoke at his ceremony when he was getting the Mark Twain Prize. They were likely the reason he was considered in the first place.
I honestly don't know much about modern SNL or its cast - I just figured there would be some younger/progressive cast members who might take serious issue with the decision. I guess that's not the case, then.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Was kind of already done with them when they made a joke about the Pelosi's home invasion.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
And he'll trot out the "I'm so cancelled, I'm so abused" shit and make a jab at trans folks in his monologue.

Fuck this fucking piece of shit.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah any sort of stand probably just isn't gonna happen. I'm pretty cynical about this. Jon Stewart just had an episode on transphobia where he grilled Arkansas' AG with opprobrium and acted aghast that anyone would deny trans rights, but he's perfectly happy palling around with Dave Chappelle, having him sing his praises at the Mark Twain Awards, etc.

How many of these people truly give a shit?
Most celebs are just broken people who live only for praise and attention (that's why so many of them become obsessively venomous if you properly and non-ironically criticise them).

For example; I won't be surprised if the whole gang would be back if they really end up doing more Harry Potter films.

Last edited:

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
For those who still haven't gotten the memo: "cancel culture" is not a real thing.

Advertiser boycotts is. That's about it.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I hope a couple of the actors just flat-out refuse to do the episode. Lorne is a piece of shit and he'd likely fire Bowen in an instant if he tried to protest Dave coming on, but if like half the cast all draws a line in the sand and says "fuck no, we won't perform" maybe they could force a host pivot.

Wouldn't this have already happened? Maybe not, I don't know exactly how the show works, but I would think everyone would know more than a week in advance who's going to be on the show.

Maybe some people could have threatened to leave and the producers are calling their bluff.

It would be great if some of the actors refused to go on that night, live.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I'd guess Lorne Michaels and his booking team think the republicans are gonna win big, Chappelle was also the host the week after Trump won in 2016 and the episode was watched a lot and in the news so looking to repeat history?

This skit was made to mock people who thought Trump had no chance. It's honestly pretty accurate being black myself, I was telling people that entire year that Trump could win on the white vote alone.

I think Michaels is just banking on ratings. And the Chappelle episodes tend to do well because let's face it, they attract a certain. It's still a spineless move but SNL is as liberal as a show can get. Ain't nothing really leftist about it.

Oct 27, 2017

Do people here forgot that was the start of Chappelle's modern day comeback and that's why it was big? It was the first time he was back on TV since Chappelle's Show, pre Netflix specials. I don't see this being the same kind of repeat, although given where SNL is at the moment, it'll probably still be a bump

SuperDevilJoe

Dec 27, 2021
No shot he agreed to host if they told him not to make a trans joke--so fully expecting some. Fuck, why are so many of these guys I loved growing up turning into shit puddles?

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Djf-zdQUYAAhPkQ.jpg:large

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
So what's Dave's SNL episode going to look like now that Republicans got stomped?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It is a shame he's become such an insufferable bigot since that 2016 show was pretty legendary.

Oct 27, 2017
Guesting on SNL might as well be guesting on The View. Nobody actually watches, and it all gets chopped up and served to online engagement gluttons who can't help but react to something they didn't care enough about to watch in the first place.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Netflix CEO says he'll order Dave Chappelle specials 'again and again' despite employee backlash

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said the company would order Dave Chappelle's comedy specials "again and again" at The New York Times' DealBook Summit on Wednesday. Chappelle's last comedy special, The Closer, came under fire by employees for being transphobic.
"We're just trying to be the most exciting entertainment company and more," Hastings said when asked about how Netflix deals with controversy. "That special was one of the most entertaining watch specials we've ever had. We would do it again and again." Hastings then goes on to describe Chappelle as "very entertaining and provocative," aligning with Netflix's overall goal of being "about entertainment."

www.theverge.com

Netflix CEO says he’ll order Dave Chappelle specials “again and again” despite employee backlash

Reed Hastings says Chappelle is “very entertaining.”

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't even need to write new jokes. He can just keep repeating the same tired bigotry, and it's a financial success.