• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here's one that people have never seen, the Powerbabe Game. Real exciting hah

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not quite cancelled, but we found an early build of Age of Empires called Dawn of Man at my job. Incredible stuff really

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I was really looking forward to Castlevania Resurrection on the Dreamcast before it was cancelled (and before playing the terrible N64 games). Mostly because it was my favorite game series growing up on the NES and SNES.
There was also this from back in 2008. I don't think we ever found out anything about it. People used to say it was a SOTN remake/sequel.

Another game I was looking forward to was the cancelled contra game from 2011. Another game we know like nothing about.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
It's really disappointing that there hasn't been an Amy Hennig game since 2011. The chance to work on Star Wars kept her in the AAA space but after the cancellation I'm worried if she'll stick around.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Eight Days and Whore of the Orient are my most disappointing cancellations.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Command & Conquer: Generals 2 (or just "Command & Conquer").
http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/Command_&_Conquer_(2013)

It doesn't help that according to one Victory Games employee the game wasn't cancelled for being "not meeting expectations" as it was officially cancelled for, rather it was cancelled for corporate shenanigans.
Everything we saw looked damn good, i think.
I can understand the game being over-budget or difficult to develop since it uses Frostbite (for example, let's not forget a lot of ME Andromeda's issues came from using that engine), but man, its cancellation still fucking hurts. Doesn't help it basically killed the entire Command&Conquer franchise even more dead than that fucking Tiberian Twilight did.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
I still mourn for the death of the original Rayman Raving Rabbids that was supposed to be the sequel to Hoodlum Havoc but Ubisoft pushed Ancel's team to retool everything in 9 months to make it for Wii's launch date. A total waste.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
I did end up liking FFXV, but man, I really miss the style and vibe of Versus XIII.

This is among my favorite game trailers ever.

Dec 31, 2017
Mexico
I was pretty excited when Renegade kids announced Cult county, I loved the first dementium so I was expecting a similar game but then the company closed down and the game die with them.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I will never understand why everyone loved Scalebound. The game always looked like crap to me :(

That being said, I came into possession of a Scalebound Hoodie that was only given to the dev team (won it in a lot at the Penny Arcade Charity Auction).

Anyone have any good ideas on how I can give it away? What kind of challenge or whatever I could do for it?

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I will never understand why everyone loved Scalebound. The game always looked like crap to me :(

That being said, I came into possession of a Scalebound Hoodie that was only given to the dev team (won it in a lot at the Penny Arcade Charity Auction).

Anyone have any good ideas on how I can give it away? What kind of challenge or whatever I could do for it?

You could always donate it to a museum, I may know one :P But Im a tad biased.

Waxyresidude

Oct 31, 2017
Guillermo Del Toro's Insane came to mind the other day. Volition nearly made it's own survival horror title by way of Silent Hills.

Martin Scorsese'sTaxi Driver - the game. If nothing else, the ragdoll looked fun.

Django

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
A game I am hoping we still see some day is one based on Escape From New York...we got damn close once with Snake Plissken's First Escape....so close.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hahah, what kind of museum would actually want something like that?
The one I work at, the Museum of Play. We have the World Video Game Hall of Fame, for one, and collections that include papers from people like Carol Shaw and Will Wright. And cancelled games :)

Waxyresidude

Oct 31, 2017
Picassio is a title that is all but forgotten. Promethean Designs' first person stealth title about being a globe trotting cat burglar specializing in infiltrating museums. There was once a trailer for this, as low quality and curt as it was, but I am unable to find it.
$

Avtivision's Beneath directly targets Tomb Raider in its cavern storming trailer.

The Sin City game starring Marv was another I remembered wanting to get my hand on.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Had a video show on my timeline after reading this thread.

Some have been mentioned already, some I hadn't seen before.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
There was also this from back in 2008. I don't think we ever found out anything about it. People used to say it was a SOTN remake/sequel.

To my understanding, this is what the Japanese side of Konami pitched to Konami, while Mercury Steam/and or Konami of Europe pitch what to was to become of Lords Of Shadow. It was kind of like an internal "bid" to develop the next Castelvania.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have a pitch document for a different Castlevania from around that time...also at least one playable game from the 10 above

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
StarCraft: Ghost

Starcraft-Ghost.jpg

As with Titan, it was a long rumoured project and it would be a new step for Blizzard. They eventually took that leap with Overwatch.

LuckyHit

Oct 27, 2017
Lily Bergamo anyone? It was cancelled and turned into Let It Die. Which sucks, because Lily Bergamo had the superior art direction.
I don't know, I think I like the art direction of Let It Die more than Lily Bergamo, personally.

There's also this pitch video for Jet Set Radio with an art direction that I really dig! Not really an unreleased game... But I really want it.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did a stream yesterday at work that showed the Dawn of Man, the earliest known Age of Empires prototype that is far, far different than what the end product ended up being.

NrCheever

Apr 15, 2018
It's not surprising to see that one of the studio's main engine guys, Brian Karis, is building an amazing tech team for Epic in the Bay Area. Apart from maybe this video, every other gameplay demonstration we ever saw for Prey 2 was running off a 360 DevKit, which makes it even more impressive.

According to Karis, the game supported "virtual texturing, super high res HDR lightmaps (64k x 64k), PBR before it was popular, deferred shading, SSR in 2ms on 360 & PS3, auto focus DOF, approx area lights, precomputed soft shadows (UE4 stationary lights). We nailed the standard tech of this gen last gen."

All 3 GDC presentations in 2012 about Prey 2 was about technology that was bleeding edge for last generation. Too bad Bethesda forced them to cancel all 3 or people would've seen a lot of things that's only now becoming common in the current consoles.

Wizzly

Jan 10, 2018
Sad Halo Mega Blocks in tps mode didn't made it

Fable Legends could have turned in a great solo game

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I dunno if it was mentioned earlier but I was super hyped for a NAOMI unreleased game that may have also seen the light on the Dreamcast.

This game is Gun Beat by Treasure. Unfortunately it never was released anywhere, all we have is some promotional material and one video. It's really a shame, the game looked super fun to play, plus I just adore Treasure as a developer.

tumblr_ofo7dla3RW1ulp8mfo1_1280.jpg

gunbeatgamersrepublic0599.png

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Spotted a video for the cancelled version of Warhammer Online that I hadnt seen before, so I uploaded it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of an expected answer in threads like these, but I'm always curious how that Warcraft-based adventure game Blizzard canned would have turned out.

kiww6oenhoq5dsmz1jyg.png

I had no idea this was a thing and now I'm mad.

Also

thumb20160711194308.jpg

Indy V

AND THIS

the-devil-s-men-pc-1408104305-004.jpg

I will never forgive daedelic for cancelling it. "The graphic style and dialogue options don't guarantee the success of the game and it is too costly so we decided to cancel it" so instead we get generic awful 3D shit. Yeah goodbye.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Half Life episodes/Half Life 3. Tragic how we never got the playable closure we all wanted

man we had like 10 minutes from our E3 live show of the original Prey 2 with bounty hunters. Wish I still had it.

always thought this cancelled Vectrex light pen game was pretty weird, Mailplane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8uO5QlW18M

This one hurts a lot. Prey 2 looked so damn good that I'll never understand the scrapping of it.

Holy shit this looked so good O.O

Oh and one game i remember is Darkwatch. First one was so fun and featured full campaign coop via splitscreen.
Second game never saw the light of day :/

I never knew there was a sequel planned. Quite unfortunate considering how good the first game is

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BC
1022167589.jpg

These ones hurt the most.

Except that Far Cry Primal is an actual game that does things Peter Molyneux had never even dreamt of at the time.

And let's not forget... it was Peter Molyneux who was talking about this game. Peter F'ing Molyneux. Break it down for me - what were you expecting from BC?

Peter Molyneux, back then, was the master at making gamers want games that didn't exist, and never would exist. When fantasy meets reality, fantasy is always crushed.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Peter Molyneux was more hands-on with Fable though.