• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
ftw.usatoday.com

Behind the script of the canceled Deus Ex movie

We got access to a script draft for the canceled Deus Ex: Human Revolution movie adaptation, so we can take a look at what we missed out on.

Back in 2012, movie director Scott Derrickson and his Sinister collaborator C. Robert Cargill were working on the script for a movie adaptation of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

"We made really good progress on that script, and it's an incredible property," he told Empire Online at the time. "The folks over at CBS Films hired myself and C. Robert Cargill, I love them, they're great people. It was a really positive process that was going on, and it was a little heartbreaking. Getting on Doctor Strange, this was the biggest downside of it. The fact that I needed to step off Deus Ex. I couldn't expect them to wait for two years for me."

Without Derrickson, however, the project fell apart.

And yes before you ask...the line was in!

adf.jpg

Can thread if this thread already exists.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Would've been the best movie ever just for including the line.

If they needed a trailer they could've just made this live-action as well lol.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
"Cancelled" is a bit dramatic, as it sounds like this was something the studio just had the rights to, but didn't seem particularly invested in. (CBS Films held the IP, and were moving away from action & genre films at that time) Derrickson was writing the script, but it didn't seem to ever have much of a path to being made.

But considering how well Human Revolution did, and the lack of cyberpunk stuff in cinemas around that time - maybe it all would've lined up.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would've been the best movie ever just for including the line.

If they needed a trailer they could've just made this live-action as well lol.

Probably the best trailer for a game ver. Epic soundtrack, cool atmosphere and graphics, really good lines. I love the "You'll never find her. I'll never stop looking" bit

stn

Oct 28, 2017
This hurts. I hope they at least make an animated movie one day, that would be PERFECT. In fact, I'd prefer it over live action unless they really nail the casting choices.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
That would have been a great movie, I think it could have filled an empty niche at the time. There's so much great worldbuilding in the games that could have translated well to the big screen (opening shot: 2027, New York: The Statue of Liberty with it's head blown off)

And that soundtrack is god tier. I still get shivers when I hear "Icarus".

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Probably the best trailer for a game ver. Epic soundtrack, cool atmosphere and graphics, really good lines. I love the "You'll never find her. I'll never stop looking" bit

It's a cool ass trailer, but gets disqualified for being completely CGI and not showing anything from the actual game.

But yeah, that was the trailer that made me pre-order it lol.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
A remake with largely expanded hub enviroments on next gen hardware or a live action movie would be fantastic. This property deserved a more polished execution. Either way just dont touch the music or Art Style. Casting Jensen would be key.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
A remake with largely expanded hub enviroments on next gen hardware or a live action movie would be fantastic. This property deserved a more polished execution. Either way just dont touch the music or Art Style. Casting Jensen would be key.

Agree with everything here

However I'm gonna need mankind divided part 2 and a sequel to said sequel

remember the piss filter controversy and how everyone hated how orange the game was? I think it was also the first game i remember people being really mad at the chromatic aberration implementatuon as well. I really liked the art style and lighting in the original release

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Agree with everything here

However I'm gonna need mankind divided part 2 and a sequel to said sequel

remember the piss filter controversy and how everyone hated how orange the game was? I think it was also the first game i remember people being really mad at the chromatic aberration implementatuon as well. I really liked the art style and lighting in the original release
People are dumb. It was a gold filter clearly designed to unifiy the color pallette accross assets and fit it within the gold and black color scheme. The directors cut looks worse for removing it and loses alot of the OGs feel. It was a meme that got out of hand and we ended up with a boring blue and white generic sci fi (post minority report) filter in the sequel because of it :( while I still want a MD sequel it needs to go back to the OG aesthetic to visual interest me.

As far a non game related stuff I woukd kill for a SquarEnix Visual CG teams full length CG film of it. That would be my ideal. Just a full length version that does that famous trailer justice.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
People are dumb. It was a gold filter clearly designed to unifiy the color pallette accross assets and fit it within the gold and black color scheme. The directors cut looks worse for removing it and loses alot of the OGs feel. It was a meme that got out of hand and we ended up with a boring blue and white generic sci fi (post minority report) filter in the sequel because of it :( while I still want a MD sequel it needs to go back to the OG aesthetic to visual interest me.

As far a non game related stuff I woukd kill for a SquarEnix Visual CG teams full length CG film of it. That would be my ideal. Just a full length version that does that famous trailer justice.

100% agree. The response to the filter was super weird around launch, to the point where my circle at school used it as a point of criticism. When the game dropped I got the Augmented edition (who knows where that copy went lol) and I picked it up again last week. The focus on gold really adds to the visual aesthetic imo. Even down to the boxart it just looks super clean. I think there's a mod for the PC version or at least a Reshade preset that restores it, but I really wish I could play the original version on console with good performance and resolution boost.

Also regarding your second point, that actually sounds like a fucking great idea. I never watched Kingsglaive but it always reminded me of the DXHR trailer. Wonder if any of the same team worked on it? Regardless, I would definitely take a CG/3D animated DX movie.

Did you ever play the DLC for mankind divided?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's a shame. I never knew Derrickson was involved. He made some great films.

And The Day the Earth Stood Still remake.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
100% agree. The response to the filter was super weird around launch, to the point where my circle at school used it as a point of criticism. When the game dropped I got the Augmented edition (who knows where that copy went lol) and I picked it up again last week. The focus on gold really adds to the visual aesthetic imo. Even down to the boxart it just looks super clean. I think there's a mod for the PC version or at least a Reshade preset that restores it, but I really wish I could play the original version on console with good performance and resolution boost.

Also regarding your second point, that actually sounds like a fucking great idea. I never watched Kingsglaive but it always reminded me of the DXHR trailer. Wonder if any of the same team worked on it? Regardless, I would definitely take a CG/3D animated DX movie.

Did you ever play the DLC for mankind divided?
Im playing through DXHR right now and while I have all DLC I havent had a chance to check it out yet.

Edit: O wait you said MD. No I havent played its DLC yet.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I loved how the game made everything look gold-ish and it was pretty clear that it was a conscious design decision to unify the palette and exacerbate the renaissance the game has all the way through. MD and the Director's Cut version of HR look way worse without it, because the design guidelines aren't unified by the golden palette unlike HR's original version.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex games have some really good conspiracy themes, so I would have loved this.

Still a pretty good live action trailer, which actually made me think that they are working on a couple TV episodes back then:

Such a shame how Square Enix treated this franchise.