• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dyrjv4rmwcd01.jpg

Reminds me of this piece of art

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love Rogan. And I love how mad he makes people on here with his middle of the road politics.

It's crazy how it's be all the way left or go fuck yourself around here

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Love Rogan. And I love how mad he makes people on here with his middle of the road politics.

It's crazy how it's be all the way left or go fuck yourself around here

This is the type of luke-warm take that happens when you lift your political philosophies from Reddit threads on r/all

On a happier note, Roseanne is still fired

Nov 1, 2017
This is the type of luke-warm take that happens when you lift your political philosophies from Reddit threads on r/all

On a happier note, Roseanne is still fired
Not surprising from someone that said they'd happily still bump R. Kelly's music despite him being an abuser and a child rapist. I guess that's middle of the road politics wise now though.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Joe could get someone like Ta-Nehisi Coates or Ezra Klein on the show to talk about politics/society from a left perspective.

He'll rarely, if ever, have actual intellectuals or journalists on. Smart people here and there, like Dan Carlin or NDT, but not people with actual stances along with the receipts on social matters that balances out shit like Alex Jones. It's insecurity and him not wanting to really debate which just gives them the platform, and that's pretty lazy at best, cowardly at worst.

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprising from someone that said they'd happily still bump R. Kelly's music despite him being an abuser and a child rapist. I guess that's middle of the road politics wise now though.

Nah, chumps who think Rogaine even has "political views" instead of bumper-sticker understandings of the world, think anything left of Ghengis Khan is some sort of Communist plot to sap an impurify their precious bodily fluids.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He'll rarely, if ever, have actual intellectuals or journalists on. Smart people here and there, like Dan Carlin or NDT, but not people with actual stances along with the receipts on social matters that balances out shit like Alex Jones. It's insecurity and him not wanting to really debate which just gives them the platform, and that's pretty lazy at best, cowardly at worst.

This is exactly it. He'll have on every single right wing pundit there is, but the only liberals he has on are comics or scientists talking about things other than politics. He'll never have a liberal intellectual on.

Nov 1, 2017
Nah, chumps who think Rogaine even has "political views" instead of bumper-sticker understandings of the world, think anything left of Ghengis Khan is some sort of Communist plot to sap an impurify their precious bodily fluids.
You're not wrong. Half the time their analysis of things is as shallow as an evaporated puddle. As long as it aggravates people that care "too" much though it's cool.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's funny seeing how many people are coming into this thread to praise Rogan yet none of them are commenting on his 'planet of the apes' comment.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly disappointed in Reset for having people like Joe.

He constantly hosts racists, allows them to spew racism and transphobia. He also clearly shares many of these beliefs.

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
This "guilty by association" crap in modern culture is irrational as fuck to be honest. Talking with someone is not an endorsement of their views, nor should anyone be accountable for another's views just by virtue of speaking with them. Seems as though people want every problematic statement to be vehemently rebuked or else it's tacit approval, or god forbid, their political side might not score any points. Nobody should be expected to do this, especially in a long form discussion podcast like JRE.

Let the people talk, let them have alternate viewpoints, listen and you might learn something or gain a new perspective, and maybe all involved come out better on the other side. Again, it shouldn't be about scoring political points or converting people on the spot.

My issue with Rogan's podcast is that (based on the few episodes I've listened to) he rarely meaningfully challenges his guests when they say something that's just factually untrue. He might throw out a "you really think that?", but he almost never has the knowledge or background to refute false claims with hard data. Fitness is his field of expertise, and accordingly, that's one of the few areas where he feels comfortable telling his guests they're flat-out wrong (see: the interview where Milo said something to the effect that fat people should starve themselves in order to lose weight).

What benefit is there to someone who has very little socioeconomic or political knowledge conducting softball interviews with political firebrands, many of whom have a gift for rhetoric? What good are alternative viewpoints that are based on falsehoods?

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of this piece of art

I don't feel like Joe seeks to debate his guests as much as have a discussion on their perspectives, and he only gets confrontational when they say something really crazy and off base, like this woman denying climate change and then saying it's a gut feeling and then dismissing any counterpoint. She was just being contrarian and argumentative. If he has a guest on who's behaving reasonably, he's open to pretty much any idea, as anyone who's listened to him can attest.

This is exactly it. He'll have on every single right wing pundit there is, but the only liberals he has on are comics or scientists talking about things other than politics. He'll never have a liberal intellectual on.

Part of me thinks he is just willing to have people on if they request. I don't see more serious people wanting to go on his podcast because it's generally very unfocused and informal. It's perfect for alt-right people because their whole shtick is ranting at a passive audience. Going into JRE, you have to know it's a three-hour conversation that will drift into BJJ, DMT, animals fighting, bow-hunting, "I've got this friend that..." etc.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017

https://youtu.be/PhHtBqsGAoA

And I'm pretty sure that's not his first time.

Edit: Wait I read that wrong.
My bad. Thought you said he didn't have him on there

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel like Joe seeks to debate his guests as much as have a discussion on their perspectives, and he only gets confrontational when they say something really crazy and off base, like this woman denying climate change and then saying it's a gut feeling and then dismissing any counterpoint.

He always comes across as wanting to debate, he enjoys it especially with other comedians he has on, but let's look at another part of your post. "Have a discussion on their perspectives" - why allow the perspectives of utter trash in the first place?

Him being "open to any idea" is the problem. It normalizes shit like Milo or Jones coming on there and him just "discussing their perspective." He kind of addresses that here but, sorry, it's still bullshit when he just says "Jones is a great guy" as a follow up because he thinks Jones is just having a goof. "Well if Jones is just a goofball then he's ok" is what that ends up being to Rogan's audience, and thus may just tune in to his buddy since apparently he's just an ok guy.

Karasseram

Jan 15, 2018
Shit being on Joe Rogans podcast doesn't normalize anything at all. If anything it's funny to see how stupid these right wing nuts are when he just lets them drone on and fall flat on their face.

Also Joey Diaz on his show makes me laugh so hard pee comes out.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He always comes across as wanting to debate, he enjoys it especially with other comedians he has on, but let's look at another part of your post. "Have a discussion on their perspectives" - why allow the perspectives of utter trash in the first place?

Him being "open to any idea" is the problem. It normalizes shit like Milo or Jones coming on there and him just "discussing their perspective." He kind of addresses that here but, sorry, it's still bullshit when he just says "Jones is a great guy" as a follow up because he thinks Jones is just having a goof. "Well if Jones is just a goofball then he's ok" is what that ends up being to Rogan's audience, and thus may just tune in to his buddy since apparently he's just an ok guy.

That's my problem. Sure, it's interesting to hear people from the right speak, but guys like Milo are extremist and probably shouldn't have been invited, and Rogan doesn't have people on from the left. I don't think it's because Rogan is uninterested in having a conversation with the left, or has an interest in promoting the right, but effectively his whole format is center-right only because he hasn't done a good job of refusing alt-right people like Milo and Jones, or having anyone from the left on at all.

What I mean by "having a discussion on their perspectives" is what this post alluded to earlier:

Yep. You've nailed Rogan, his views are those of whatever guest is on.

Joe (With Duncan Trussel): "Yeah man, the moon landing was faked and they're putting something in those chemtrails."

*The next day with Neil DeGrasse Tyson on*

Joe: "Yeah, I hear you. I don't understand how people believe in moon landing conspiracy theories. It's so silly. Silly bitches. You explain it clearly with science."

*The next day with Duncan Trussel*

Joe: So I was reading about how they faked the moon landing using DMTs...

I think Rogan would be very agreeable with a guy like Ta-Nehisi Coates, I don't think he would be "afraid" to have him on at all. And I don't necessarily want to listen to conversations where the host is in an antagonistic role, especially when the host is not an expert in the field.

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Rogan would be very agreeable with a guy like Ta-Nehisi Coates, I don't think he would be "afraid" to have him on at all. And I don't necessarily want to listen to conversations where the host is in an antagonistic role, especially when the host is not an expert in the field.

That is probably true, and Rogan is far from antagonistic, but I think he needs to do a better job on who he has on versus who he doesn't. I loved the Dan Carlin episode for example because that's exactly what works with Rogan, but giving the time of day to Candace here badly needs to be balanced out with giving the time of day to maybe someone over at Slate or NPR.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's my problem. Sure, it's interesting to hear people from the right speak, but guys like Milo are extremist and probably shouldn't have been invited, and Rogan doesn't have people on from the left. I don't think it's because Rogan is uninterested in having a conversation with the left, or has an interest in promoting the right, but effectively his whole format is center-right only because he hasn't done a good job of refusing alt-right people like Milo and Jones, or having anyone from the left on at all.

What I mean by "having a discussion on their perspectives" is what this post alluded to earlier:

To be fair, he did have Matt Taibi on recently, and it was a good listen since the guy isn't speaking out of his element. Unfortunately, for every intelligent liberal he has on he'll have 50 alt-right guests speaking out of their ass. Often the same people too. "Did you hear about what happened at Evergreen?"

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Just listened to the Planet of the Apes clip. Damn it, Joe. Talks about seeing the movie in a black neighbourhood.

"We were IN Planet of the Apes. We were in Africa."

Then cops to that being an incredibly racist thing to say. Yikes. Let that one slip Freudian style. Not a great moment.

Dec 18, 2017
Haven't listened to this one yet, but the JRE is always entertaining, often funny, and occasionally informative. It's the only podcast I bother to keep up with, besides Joey Diaz and Your Mom's House, which I learned of through JRE.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Just makes me wonder how a minority who is apart of an oppressed group of people would genuinely what they are saying and doing is for the good of their community

Because I would have to believe that they really think they are not hurting their people otherwise they would be hurting themselves in the process and their kids futures.

Tons of white people do it every year when they vote for the GOP.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa I watched the clip. Candace Owens sounds like dumb person that reads a lot of articles about shit she doesn't understand then tries to play like she understood everything.

"Whether changes everyday" says all I need to know about her

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what your comment said though.

And I mean it is his show. It literally is his job to gatekeep who comes on it.
I don't think his gatekeeping responsibility extends to the point of not having people on that say things either he or the audience doesn't agree with, though. I don't expect I can change your mind on that, and I don't expect you can change mine, of course; I'm just not for the de-platforming of people with bad opinions.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think his gatekeeping responsibility extends to the point of not having people on that say things either he or the audience doesn't agree with, though. I don't expect I can change your mind on that, and I don't expect you can change mine, of course; I'm just not for the de-platforming of people with bad opinions.

None of this makes sense

You act like he shouldn't be allowed to pick his guests.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

It's his show. He chooses who gets on.

That means his choices can be criticized.

This isn't even like a government regulated college campus where value neutrality is more enforced.

This is a dude with a podcast. Who he has on, who he gives exposure to and how he converses with them is 100% fair game to analyze, criticize and yes judge.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's his show. He chooses who gets on.

That means his choices can be criticized.

This isn't even like a government regulated college campus where value neutrality is more enforced.

This is a dude with a podcast. Who he has on, who he gives exposure to and how he converses with them is 100% fair game to analyze, criticize and yes judge.
Sure, that's fair. I just personally don't think it's a problem if he does have someone on like that because dumb opinions stand on their own as dumb.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't listened to this one yet, but the JRE is always entertaining, often funny, and occasionally informative. It's the only podcast I bother to keep up with, besides Joey Diaz and Your Mom's House, which I learned of through JRE.

Well, Joey Diaz and Tom Segura are much better comedians than Joe Rogan is and that comes through when he has the usual round of them on the show. He knows a lot of funny people and engages in bigger discussions than some other podcasts do, which kind of puts me into a love-hate relationship with his podcast.

Rogan himself is wrong in terms of how much alt-right shit he's platforming. I can appreciate what he's going for, but all you need to do to see the impact his podcast has on the discourse is watch a few JRE clips and then see what YouTube recommends to you. Garbage Ben Shapiro, Jordan Peterson, right-wing skeptic bullshit all day.

Rigby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This "guilty by association" crap in modern culture is irrational as fuck to be honest. Talking with someone is not an endorsement of their views, nor should anyone be accountable for another's views just by virtue of speaking with them. Seems as though people want every problematic statement to be vehemently rebuked or else it's tacit approval, or god forbid, their political side might not score any points. Nobody should be expected to do this, especially in a long form discussion podcast like JRE.

Let the people talk, let them have alternate viewpoints, listen and you might learn something or gain a new perspective, and maybe all involved come out better on the other side. Again, it shouldn't be about scoring political points or converting people on the spot.
Great post.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's all good if someone decides they wanna ride that white supremacy dick to the bank but it would be nice if I didn't have to see or hear them

her eyes look like they're on a trial separation

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
This girl is dumb and if nothing else comes out of this, it's that she doesn't really know what she's talking about especially when it comes to climate change.

I think people really need to take a step back with all talk of silencing or not giving a platform to people they don't agree with. I think we have enough governmental safety measures in place to stop true evil from fostering in the U.S. Let these ideas see the light of day and be torn down. The people on the fence should see the light, the ones that are already blind to it, were lost to begin with.

I agree with you other than your Tom Brady avatar. lol

Also when people vehemently rebuke their opposition it just puts them on the defensive and then you get the screaming matches we see on shit like Fox.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think we have enough governmental safety measures in place to stop true evil from fostering in the U.S.

This is powerfully naive. Perhaps you aren't American, but Trump's mal-administration is highlighting how many 'norms' and 'gentlemans' agreements' there are in our government, and when you have a tin-pot dictator with a servile, fascist Congress all those protections you thought you had, were merely a mirage.

Academics, sly politicos and leftists in Weimar Germany thought Adolf was a loud-mouthed populist who only resonated with drunk Bavarians, so they felt no problem letting him spew bullshit, because the liberal, well educated Germans would surely see through his demagoguery and the connective tissue of the Republic would surely beat back the threat; until it didn't.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
This is powerfully naive. Perhaps you aren't American, but Trump's mal-administration is highlighting how many 'norms' and 'gentlemans' agreements' there are in our government, and when you have a tin-pot dictator with a servile, fascist Congress all those protections you thought you had, were merely a mirage.

Academics, sly politicos and leftists in Weimar Germany thought Adolf was a loud-mouthed populist who only resonated with drunk Bavarians, so they felt no problem letting him spew bullshit, because the liberal, well educated Germans would surely see through his demagoguery and the connective tissue of the Republic would surely beat back the threat; until it didn't.

We don't have a tin pot dictator. We have a reality star president that is hated by his own party and only held up by a small minority. He will be out in 2020. If you think he is going to rewrite the constitution and or somehow stay in power, you are as bad as the idiots that proclaimed "Emperor Obama would never relinquish his power!"

Edit: He would need the full backing of the military to stay in power and that won't happen ever. Our military is largely right leaning, but they believe in America more and are protected from tyrants by the Judicial Branch.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
We don't have a tin pot dictator. We have a reality star president that is hated by his own party and only held up by a small minority. He will be out in 2020. If you think he is going to rewrite the constitution and or somehow stay in power, you are as bad as the idiots that proclaimed "Emperor Obama would never relinquish his power!"

Hitler didn't start as a dictator, he played the electoral system until his adversaries were weak and disorganized.

Trump is one broken hip or bad egg salad sandwich away from getting to nominate a justice that will not only change the ideological balance of SCOTUS, but will be making fascist decisions on matters of important Constitutional protections, for the majority of the rest of your life.

How about we take the rise of populist demagoguery seriously, rather than making glib, ahistorical comments just to further what was already a shaky attempt at a slippery-slope "argument"

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Hitler didn't start as a dictator, he played the electoral system until his adversaries were weak and disorganized.

Trump is one broken hip or bad egg salad sandwich away from getting to nominate a justice that will not only change the ideological balance of SCOTUS, but will be making fascist decisions on matters of important Constitutional protections, for the majority of the rest of your life.

How about we take the rise of populist demagoguery seriously, rather than making glib, ahistorical comments just to further what was already a shaky attempt at a slippery-slope "argument"

Nah, I'll live in reality thanks.