• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
And no, there is still no word on whether or not season 9 is the end.

After tomorrow's season finale, it will pass Arrow as the longest-running Arrowverse series with 171 episodes (over Arrow's 170).

It is also (spoilers for tonight's Superman & Lois) the only remaining Arrowverse series on the air.

Unless they have some surprise announcement coinciding with tomorrow's season finale, the series seems to be in 'Supernatural' territory now when it will continue on as long as the lead actor wants to keep doing it.

tvline.com

The Flash‘s Candice Patton Inks Deal to Continue as Iris in Season 9

"The Flash" is holding onto its leading lady, now that original cast member Candice Patton has inked a deal for Season 9.

The Flash is holding onto its leading lady, now that original cast member Candice Patton has closed a deal to continue on as intrepid journalist Iris West-Allen for Season 9, TVLine has learned.

Patton has been with what is now the longest-running Arrowverse series since its October 2014 launch. But this spring, after leading man Grant Gustin closed his own deal that paved the way for the CW series' Season 9 renewal, she did indicate on her Instagram account that her own future with the show was in flux.

Patton's decision to stay leaves her, Gustin and Danielle Panabaker as the series' remaining OG cast members. Carlos Valdes and Tom Cavanagh, who played Cisco and one Wells or another, announced their exits as series regulars in May 2021, while on April 13 of this year it was reported that Jesse L. Martin was also stepping down as a series regular, as Joe West.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
oh fuck i didnt know about jesse l martin or cavanaugh leaving (or at least not showing up AS often), havent watched in years but i love those actors

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll figure out a way to make Iris interesting next season hahahahaha we all know they won't

oh fuck i didnt know about jesse l martin or cavanaugh leaving (or at least not showing up AS often), havent watched in years but i love those actors

Cavanagh isn't a regular but he's still around all the time. I think he just didn't want to be main cast anymore.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

To be fair, Cavanaugh left as a series regular but was still in 7 out of the 20 episodes this season as he's still playing Reverse Flash so it hasn't felt like a huge loss.

He's also a director on some of these shows. He'll be doing the season 3 premiere of Superman & Lois.

Jesse is also supposed to make appearances next year as well.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
can you spoil that 3rd sentence for me? I havent kept up on that show

Tonight's season finale of Superman & Lois retconned the series into never being part of the main Arrowverse. Despite the first season making reference to the Arrow series finale and despite Crisis clearly setting this series up, they've retconned it so that Superman is the only hero that has ever been in the Superman & Lois universe. There is no Flash. There is no Kara and that relationship never existed at all. The Diggle who appeared in season 1 is now apparently a different Diggle than fans watched for 8 years on Arrow. I'm frustrated at the decision, as there was no reason for it and it just makes things more convoluted.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Cavanagh isn't a regular but he's still around all the time. I think he just didn't want to be main cast anymore.

To be fair, Cavanaugh left as a series regular but was still in 7 out of the 20 episodes this season as he's still playing Reverse Flash so it hasn't felt like a huge loss.

He's also a director on some of these shows. He'll be doing the season 3 premiere of Superman & Lois.

Jesse is also supposed to make appearances next year as well.

Ahh okay then, that's good to hear at least! and good on him for doing some directing, he deserves it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
maybe they explain how her 3 person blog turned into the New York Times

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Tonight's season finale of Superman & Lois retconned the series into never being part of the main Arrowverse. Despite the first season making reference to the Arrow series finale and despite Crisis clearly setting this series up, they've retconned it so that Superman is the only hero that has ever been in the Superman & Lois universe. There is no Flash. There is no Kara and that relationship never existed at all. The Diggle who appeared in season 1 is now apparently a different Diggle than fans watched for 8 years on Arrow. I'm frustrated at the decision, as there was no reason for it and it just makes things more convoluted.

DC and confusing continuity. Name a more iconic duo.

(You can't.)

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, when I read the short version of the spoiler, I thought you meant the show has a stealth series finale. Not what actually happened.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What's the Cisco actor up to? Does he still appear from time to time? I haven't watched since season 3, but I really liked the Barry, Cisco, and Caitlin trio.

He made an appearance in last year's finale after officially leaving about six episodes prior but not since then.

I wouldn't doubt an appearance next year if the series is ending but he did just sign onto a Hulu project.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still angry that this is getting nine seasons, but we can't even get a finale to the much better Legends of Tomorrow.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
wtf, thats very strange

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
At least it explains the quality difference between S&L and the Arrowverse. Same reason Stargirl is as good as it is. lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Haven't seen the episode yet but this actually has me kind of livid. What a stupid fucking "twist".

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Haven't seen the episode yet but this actually has me kind of livid. What a stupid fucking "twist".

Understandably, fans on Twitter are now posting interview quotes from the showrunner during season 1 saying things like (paraphrasing) "we had Kara references that were cut for time" and "the pilot script originally mentioned Crisis but we didn't want to throw too much at the viewer and wanted to build our own side of the universe first" and that a direct Batwoman crossover was cancelled because of COVID.

And they're posting Diggle's season 1 scene where he not only references Oliver and fighting alongside Clark (an obvious Crisis reference) but directly mentions the Lantern ring box from the Arrow finale.

Listen, if this was known since the show first started, it would be different. But this is clearly a retcon and they waited until the the end of the second season to do it.

More than ever, it makes the ending of Crisis seem pointless. Supergirl ended, Black Lightning was cancelled and they retconned Superman & Lois out of Earth-Prime. So now there's a separate Superman with two sons hanging out in The Flash's universe who will never show up lol.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Understandably, fans on Twitter are now posting interview quotes from the showrunner during season 1 saying things like (paraphrasing) "we had Kara references that were cut for time" and "the pilot script originally mentioned Crisis but we didn't want to throw too much at the viewer and wanted to build our own side of the universe first" and that a direct Batwoman crossover was cancelled because of COVID.

And they're posting Diggle's season 1 scene where he not only references Oliver and fighting alongside Clark (an obvious Crisis reference) but directly mentions the Lantern ring box from the Arrow finale.

Listen, if this was known since the show first started, it would be different. But this is clearly a retcon and they waited until the the end of the second season to do it.

More than ever, it makes the ending of Crisis seem pointless. Supergirl ended, Black Lightning was cancelled and they retconned Superman & Lois out of Earth-Prime. So now there's a separate Superman with two sons hanging out in The Flash's universe who will never show up lol.

Yeah. Todd's going to need to explain himself, I hope some press actually catch up to him and get him to explain himself.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017

That is really stupid

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
DC and confusing continuity. Name a more iconic duo.

(You can't.)
If you come at the king you better not miss...
8qrqQRI.gif