• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
We saw Microsoft acquiring Activision. There's been some whispers in the industry about some more deals. What is Capcom's thinking when it comes to M&A? Is there anything in the works?
I think there have been many M&A talks in the game industry. There was once a time we were a target, but rather than acquiring an outside company, we prefer organic growth. It is important to train and develop human resources in-house in order to carry out growth strategies. I also believe we can utilize external partners, but we have no intention of acquiring companies.

What if Microsoft comes to you and says, "We're interested in buying you out". Would you entertain that?
I would gracefully decline the offer because I believe it would be better if we were equal partners.

---
Starts at 2:03 in the video
Source

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I mean … yeah. If the company has no desire to be acquired they're not going to entertain the idea of an acquisition.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Anything is possible, but both publishers Microsoft acquired actively wanted to be purchased and someone would have done it if not them. It is hard to see a major publisher not wanting to be bought actually being bought.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
this thread's replies are inventing new sentences based on absolutely nothing

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Its workin for 'em thats for sure. Constantly breaking their PC records, Eating it up on consoles. Their in a great place and all of their games seem to be doing very well.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Convincing the Tsujimoto family to a buy out would be extremely tough. Not saying it's impossible but I don't think it's as easy as ZeniMax or Activision Blizzard.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
Thank god

I'm glad Capcom is doing well enough to fend off offers from MS, Sony and anyone else. We need more players in this space, not less.

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said elsewhere, GOOD.

Fuck this acquisition shit. Capcom is doing better than ever. Anybody trying to act as if they need to be acquired should go out and touch grass. They are better off releasing games on every platform.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom give amazing support to Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft at the moment. They have released many great games these past few years, and are open to services like Gamepass. Really, I think everyone is best served by them remaining independent.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said elsewhere, GOOD.

Fuck this acquisition shit. Capcom is doing better than ever. Anybody trying to act as if they need to be acquired should go out and touch grass. They are better off releasing games on every platform.

Yup. Fuck the publisher acquisition game. It's dogshit and it's so exhausting to see people cheerlead for it.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I don't think Microsoft would go after Capcom, but if even half of the 70 billion that MS paid for Acti gets offered to Capcom I have a difficult time believing they would decline. Either they get absolute bank from being acquired, or they make less but still insane bank by the deal falling through due to regulators saying no and MS having to pay out the "falling through" fee.

But yea, I can see Nintendo and maybe Sony making bids to buy Capcom, but not MS.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Offer a family a hundred billions (not saying it would happen) and they will change their dynamic.

Of course money talks, but the amount of money required no company would entertain is that point. I would never sell my house, I love it here. But if someone came along and for whatever reason offered 50 times the market value err sure why not

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Fuck the publisher acquisition game. It's dogshit and it's so exhausting to see people cheerlead for it.
This forum has had this issue for the past two or three years and its only gotten worse. As you can see in the various threads where this subject comes up.

Many of said posters would rather a company ruins it's business so their "team" can get bragging rights or whatever dumb excuse they get to gloat.

The actual developer though? Nobody cares about them. And in this case we have a very healthy company that is only growing and there is very little reason to even think of selling them. Just like Nintendo didn't need or want to be bought.

It is pathetic and exausting to see people really want to ruin gaming as we know it.

EPLirish

Jan 20, 2022
So basically, Capcom don't want to be acquired by the likes of MS because MS is a lot bigger and they would never feel like they're equal. Gotcha.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Uhm. Didn't Capcom complete an acquisition just this year?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
This forum has had this issue for the past two or three years and its only gotten worse. As you can see in the various threads where this subject comes up.

Many of said posters would rather a company ruins it's business so their "team" can get bragging rights or whatever dumb excuse they get to gloat.

The actual developer though? Nobody cares about them. And in this case we have a very healthy company that is only growing and there is very little reason to even think of selling them. Just like Nintendo didn't need or want to be bought.

It is pathetic and exausting to see people really want to ruin gaming as we know it.
Let us be real, the only reason people are against these acquisitions is because they rock the status quo.

How many have been against said acquisitions in the third party space where they have been normal ever since I was a child? Not many, and we know that this is the case because those threads never get the amount of cache we see when Microsoft makes a purchase.

We know that Microsoft was going to make purchases because they needed a good amount of content to make Game Pass a viable alternative, but we also know that there were a lot of views on here as to how a subscription service would lead to more AA and lower quality titles.

Businesses will do what businesses do, and the likes of Sony have grown in media by just doing that in music, movies, and now anime, Disney in media and sports via ESPN, but noooo, this should not be happening in gaming?

Shadow Dancer

Prophet of Regret
Jul 22, 2019
After ABK I think MS will settle down for a while for big stuff. That's a lot of work.

Also MS wants publishers that have more mobile presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.