• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
thats super unlikely to happen In almost any market outside the US.

SF6 shouldnt Need funding help though so I'm not expecting any exclusive deals, but it won't have anything to do with market split. MS picked perhaps the worse gen to fumble in, digital sales and ecosystem attachment all time high. Really would take one of those big PS3/XB1 blunders to change leadership roles.

Am not saying it will happen. But just that SF would sell similarly on Xbox as it does on PS Relative to the console sales.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
It's all down to the fact that for the last 10-15 years they've had the luxury of Nintendo doing it for them. Last time it came up someone pointed out that MHGU was actually distributed by Nintendo in Europe.

So really blame Nintendo for not being willing to do physical releases for them.

Nah, fuck Capcom

No, that's not correct. I have MHGU and on the back of the box I know it has a Capcom address for where the games were imported to.

I just can't check until later in the day for whether it was Capcom UK or Capcom France.

The point is that Nintendo of Europe has only distributed USF2 regarding Switch games for Capcom.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing crazy about it, but you have to deal with it just like PSP owners did. If it doesn't make sense for Capcom they aren't gonna do it. I hate asymmetrical sticks and prefer to play most of third party games on PS4. But Ori/cuphead are on Switch and Xbox, so I gotta get me one!

Just buy an adapter to use a different controller lol. Costs you $20. I have one that lets me use PS controllers on Switch.

lol just saying we can't get everything our preferred way all the time.

It's in Capcom's interest to get their games on as many platforms as possible. The people will just spend their money elsewhere if you can't get the content to them in a form they want to enjoy it in. This is true for MH before moving from handhelds to consoles and blowing up. This will be true for handheld players who wont buy the game in stationary form.

The whole "buy X consoles then" when you're not talking about 1st party games is weird. The only thing stopping MH from having more of a presence on the Switch is Capcom.

How much of a fucking storm did people have to put up to get Capcom to localize MHGU, a game in which half of the thing was already translated?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, that's not correct. I have MHGU and on the back of the box I know it has a Capcom address for where the games were imported to.

I just can't check until later in the day for whether it was Capcom UK or Capcom France.

The point is that Nintendo of Europe has only distributed USF2 regarding Switch games for Capcom.

That's interesting then. What about the SF 30th collection?

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017

The same thing, if it was distributed by Nintendo of Europe then there would have been a thread.

Don't forget that the physical release of SF30TH costed more on Switch vs the other platforms.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
All I'm seeing here is the reason Sony should acquire Capcom. These games are most popular on their platform, there are a ton of valuable IP and talented devs and with Capcom part of WWS they could pretty easily pump out a AAA title each quarter. I'd say do it now before someone else makes a move for them.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
The same thing, if it was distributed by Nintendo of Europe then there would have been a thread.

Don't forget that the physical release of SF30TH costed more on Switch vs the other platforms.

Following from this, I checked my post history and mentioned Capcom Europe distributed both MHGU and SF30TH for Switch last year:

USF2 was distributed by Nintendo of Europe in Europe.

Meanwhile, MHGU and SF30TH were physical and distributed by Capcom Europe most likely because they were full price (or closest to full price).

Oct 26, 2017
All I'm seeing here is the reason Sony should acquire Capcom. These games are most popular on their platform, there are a ton of valuable IP and talented devs and with Capcom part of WWS they could pretty easily pump out a AAA title each quarter. I'd say do it now before someone else makes a move for them.
Thankfully, no one's going to purchase them. Not to mention, the sales they also gain from the Switch, XB1, and PC are by no means insignificant

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
SIE's never even acquired a Japanese studio, they're not interested in buying an entire publisher.

If Capcom were up for sale I'm not sure any of the console makers would be interested tbh. Unless Tencent counts?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Thankfully, no one's going to purchase them. Not to mention, the sales they also gain from the Switch, XB1, and PC are by no means insignificant

No they're not insignificant, but looking at how Sony exclusives have been selling its interesting to think of what Capcom IP could hit with WWS support and marketing behind it.

SIE's never even acquired a Japanese studio, they're not interested in buying an entire publisher.

If Capcom were up for sale I'm not sure any of the console makers would be interested tbh. Unless Tencent counts?

We don't really know what Jim Ryan's goals are with PlayStation, but we do know they're looking to double down on AAA games from first and third party partners. With the big players we already know on the field and more on the way I'd play it safe and lock them in now before it's no longer an option.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
We don't really know what Jim Ryan's goals are with PlayStation, but we do know they're looking to double down on AAA games from first and third party partners. With the big players we already know on the field and more on the way I'd play it safe and lock them in now before it's no longer an option.
It's not even an option now though? And I doubt Ryan is interested in buying publishers.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Embrace that digital future, Era.
Capcom really needs to make some wholly original Switch games (even if they release them simultaneously on other platforms) for the system, if they aren't going to port over the more demanding titles. That would be the best win overall, in my opinion. Make games based around the Switch hardware, like Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Okami 3 ... etc. Doesn't even need to be exclusive, just use the system as a reference (like Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair).

That's probably a pipe dream by this point.
Tell Nintendo to cut the check because that's the only way it's going to happen.

Oct 26, 2017
No they're not insignificant, but looking at how Sony exclusives have been selling its interesting to think of what Capcom IP could hit with WWS support and marketing behind it.
Capcom can more than properly market and support their games on their own. They're a long time player and a big publisher, not some small team that's just getting started and needs a big publisher to help them. If anything, they'd lose out on sales of their games on the long run if they became Sony only. Besides, if we're talking about sales of exclusives, Nintendo's games sell even more so why not their support and marketing?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

By that I mean multiple 10 million sellers on PS4 and some titles surpassing 15 mil on one platform. Putting Sony's marketing strength behind a title can work wonders.

Capcom can more than properly market and support their games on their own. They're a long time player and a big publisher, not some small team that's just getting started and needs a big publisher to help them. If anything, they'd lose out on sales of their games on the long run if they became Sony only. Besides, if we're talking about sales of exclusives, Nintendo's games sell even more so why not their support and marketing?

Sure, Nintendo can go for Capcom if they want, but their console doesn't seem capable of playing some of their more ambitious titles, and I'm not sure if Nintendo are interested in acquiring anyone whereas Sony are.

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, Nintendo can go for Capcom if they want, but their console doesn't seem capable of playing some of their more ambitious titles, and I'm not sure if Nintendo are interested in acquiring anyone whereas Sony are.
I have yet to see anything in Capcom's games that couldn't have been done on a weaker system, save for visuals. Although, it is true that Nintendo isn't exactly the kind to go for acquisitions like Sony. Still, Capcom wouldn't come cheap and there's no real incentive for Capcom to be purchased. If they were still in a bad situation, back when they were trying to get out SFV, for instance, then maybe. But now? No point

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Switch could play any game Capcom's yet developed. Just because Capcom hasn't ported them doesn't mean they couldn't possibly port them.

Also, Nintendo seems pretty interested in investing in Japanese developers and the Japanese industry while SIE largely doesn't, both internally and externally. There's a priority and focus here and it doesn't go the way you seem to want.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Switch could play any game Capcom's yet developed. Just because Capcom hasn't ported them doesn't mean they couldn't possibly port them.

Also, Nintendo seems pretty interested in investing in Japanese developers and the Japanese industry while SIE largely doesn't, both internally and externally. There's a priority and focus here and it doesn't go the way you seem to want.

I'm not going to lie, if someone were going to pick up Capcom I would prefer it be Sony as I think they're the best fit and most of Capcoms customers play there anyways. They'll have a very powerful console next year to let Capcom stretch their legs, WWS is infamous for letting their devs do their own thing without being heavy handed, they'd get plenty of funding and exposure for their titles, even more than now for their biggest ones and they'd help round out WWS's lineup for genres and big exclusives each year.

Plus playstation Productions could use all those new IP for TV shows and movies. 😃

Apr 21, 2018
I don't think more ports are out of the cards, it just takes time. DMC3 is certainly on the way and I wouldn't be surprised if DMC, DmC, and maybe even a DMCV port are in the works.

Also, Zack and Wiki sequel please.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't think more ports are out of the cards, it just takes time. DMC3 is certainly on the way and I wouldn't be surprised if DMC, DmC, and maybe even a DMCV port are in the works.

Also, Zack and Wiki sequel please.
I doubt that 5 will be ported, & DmC is iffy considering that it's UE3. But I definitely see 3 & 4 coming to Switch.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I remember arguing with somebody in pal charts thread about Ghost Recon 2017 vs 2019, I said in 2017 digital was little compared to today so GR might not be as big flop as we think. He basically said nah.

Well look at this chart and tell me I'm wrong LOL.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
DMC5 won't be ported to Switch. But it will be to Switch 2.

DMC3SE, DMC4SE and DmC DE probably will be ported to Switch next year. 3 maybe this year yet even.

UE3 doesn't officially support the Switch, & I recall the games that used it as being cited as more work to get them ported.
UE3 also doesn't officially support PS4 or XBO either. Indies manage to port it fine to Switch, doesn't seem like a real hurdle imo.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm not going to lie, if someone were going to pick up Capcom I would prefer it be Sony as I think they're the best fit and most of Capcoms customers play there anyways. They'll have a very powerful console next year to let Capcom stretch their legs, WWS is infamous for letting their devs do their own thing without being heavy handed, they'd get plenty of funding and exposure for their titles, even more than now for their biggest ones and they'd help round out WWS's lineup for genres and big exclusives each year.

Plus playstation Productions could use all those new IP for TV shows and movies. 😃
I don't like the idea of any platform holder acquiring a big multiplatform publisher

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

It sounds good on paper for now , but if Sony fucks up and PS dies then Capcom dies with them. Getting acquired should always be a last resort kinda thing.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Just buy an adapter to use a different controller lol. Costs you $20. I have one that lets me use PS controllers on Switch.

It's in Capcom's interest to get their games on as many platforms as possible. The people will just spend their money elsewhere if you can't get the content to them in a form they want to enjoy it in. This is true for MH before moving from handhelds to consoles and blowing up. This will be true for handheld players who wont buy the game in stationary form.

The whole "buy X consoles then" when you're not talking about 1st party games is weird. The only thing stopping MH from having more of a presence on the Switch is Capcom.

How much of a fucking storm did people have to put up to get Capcom to localize MHGU, a game in which half of the thing was already translated?
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

is it 1:1 though? like could I play Smash with a DS4 without any input delay?

also I feel you on MH, just saying we gotta take the good with the bad sometimes. it's still a great game and going to console allowed some streamlining of systems and new ideas to take shape, plus it likely reaches a new audience.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I don't like the idea of any platform holder acquiring a big multiplatform publisher

I understand. I'm still pondering a future where big players with endless cashflow like Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and Google, and potential big players like Amazon, Wal-Mart, Comcast Disney could start tossing their wallets around and start snapping up devs and publishers to secure content for their own platforms. If that future comes to pass then IMO I'd prefer for a company like Sony to pick up a company like Capcom because I feel out of all the possible options they'll treat them and their legacy the best.

If that future doesn't come to pass then whatever, it doesn't matter as much.

It sounds good on paper for now , but if Sony fucks up and PS dies then Capcom dies with them. Getting acquired should always be a last resort kinda thing.

I'm sure the IP and assets would be sold off at some point if that ever happened :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018

Yeah. And even if PS doesn't die, we all know that Ace Attorney and Mega Man will be instantly dead the moment Capcom is acquired by Sony. Gosh, I really wish fans would stop begging for their favorite platform-owner to acquire everything. It's as if only their preferences matter.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. And even if PS doesn't die, we all know that Ace Attorney and Mega Man will be instantly dead the moment Capcom is acquired by Sony. Gosh, I really wish fans would stop begging for their favorite platform-owner to acquire everything. It's as if only their preferences matter.

Just pondering possible futures. We've already got huge players and potential new players coming into this field that could snap up publishers like Capcom or Square Enix without batting an eye if they felt it would help their platform. In that scenario the question becomes who's the lesser of all the evils. I've obviously made my position clear, but others are free to discuss options they feel are better if they choose to.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the IP and assets would be sold off at some point if that ever happened :)

The IPs would become less and less valuable as they are tied to Sony. If for some reason Sony fucks up PS5 and PS6 pretty badly , Capcom games not being on other platforms lowers their value. Sony's bad decisions would directly become Capcoms bad decisions as well.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The IPs would become less and less valuable as they are tied to Sony. If for some reason Sony fucks up PS5 and PS6 pretty badly , Capcom games not being on other platforms lowers their value. Sony's bad decisions would directly become Capcoms bad decisions as well.

True, but if we're talking hypotheticals then Capcom could just as easily fuck up on their own or anyone else buying them could fuck up as well.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
True, but if we're talking hypotheticals then Capcom could just as easily fuck up on their own or anyone else buying them could fuck up as well.

I mean yea they could , but why bring in external factors when you don't really need them.

A buyout is great when you are doing badly , since it'll at least help your IPs from fading away. Like when WB bought NRS/MK.