• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
edit: Videos were taken down, best I can do is some pictures of the videos. If anyone still has these videos in their cache, please upload them!

Yes, that's right. The only POC in DMCV is voiced by a white dude who essentially dons blackface, pretends to be black, and say nigga as a "joke". Voice actor is Joey Camen, and here's some videos from his youtube channel.

asdw.png

Sprinkle in some light transphobia too

asdwasd.png

gsxoZ9K.jpg

I don't even know why they bothered making Morrison black when he's white in the anime, if this is what they do (give a black role to a white voice actor). Especially when they still haven't made up for magic blackface trish in DMC4. Man, they should have at least kept nico black
D1vw4fjUkAAQLZs.jpg

This is on top of the controversy with the lead singer of dante's theme song. You think they'd be more careful after that and do some kind of vetting. Do better capcom, because dear god you need to do better.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
What the fuck? Jesus, that's fucked up.

Last edited:

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Michael Jackson
Singer for Dante's theme
Joey Camen

I'm sure capcom will correct the mistake in the future. I'm sure they were unaware of this

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
With all of the talented and renowned VAs in the games/animation industry...they have to hire some bastard like this...

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
They also hired abuser Eddie Hermida to do that godawful subhuman song. Someone really needs to do some vetting for them

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the Vic thing, wasn't Reuben not fully aware of what happened & was given a terrible summary of the situation by the panel hosts?
Yeah, but it is what it is. That's all we have and he didn't bother to correct himself so you have to assume he doesn't think there's anything to correct.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Michael Jackson
Singer for Dante's theme
Joey Camen

I'm sure capcom will correct the mistake in the future. I'm sure they were unaware of this

Capcom definitely have no excuse for this, but they did fix Dante's theme, and undoubtedly the Michael Jackson reference was made way before the recent documentary came out. I don't think you can call this a trend just yet, though it is very worrying.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, but it is what it is. That's all we have and he didn't bother to correct himself so you have to assume he doesn't think there's anything to correct.
As for me, I'm not gonna rake him over the coals until he learns more & gives his opinion after. If Reuben defends Vic after learning the whole story, then I'll join in roasting his ass. But I feel like going after Reuben now would only make him not want to get all of the details.

On-topic, yeah, this is pretty terrible. Between this & the Subhuman situation, it's weird how Capcom didn't vet the people they hired.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
The singer of Dante's song was a sex offender. Although Capcom responded well to it and took the song off Youtube within a few hours and replaced him before the final release. The new singer makes the song A LOT better too.

Although Capcom should have done their research beforehand which is what OP is on about.
I knewit sounded it different. I was thinking they just mixed it better , but they actually replaced the singer?
Well shit, thats a win win situation right there.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Interesting thing, apparently Morrison is a character from the anime, and he was a white dude there (edit: oh mentioned in the OP already, derp lol). I don't know, just learning that a white actor is voicing the character in the game reminded me of that.

Sucks that he is really WTF with this.

Last edited:

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The amount of terrible decisions and controversies following this game at this point feel like the universe trying to balance out the fact that it shouldn't exist.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
MAGA hat and "rabbi Goldstein" videos too, jesus christ. Guy's the complete package.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Michael Jackson
Singer for Dante's theme
Joey Camen

I can chalk up the Michael Jackson reference as poor timing, & they at least changed the vocals for Subhuman before the game's launch. But this.....yikes. Normally I'd call for a recasting (especially since Morrison doesn't have a ton of lines), but I fear that it may be too late.

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Capcom definitely have no excuse for this, but they did fix Dante's theme, and undoubtedly the Michael Jackson reference was made way before the recent documentary came out. I don't think you can call this a trend just yet, though it is very worrying.
No definitely not a trend. Just extremely unlucky for such an amazing game. Michael Jackson thing you can't blame them for, they did the right thing with the theme (for multiple reasons aside from the sexual harassment. The song is 10000x better now)

Had they known about this voice actor before the game came out, they undoubtedly would have corrected it, given they had enough notice.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Nico is a poc, just look at her and her dad.

Not going to defend black face Trish in DMC 4 or Morrison's VA tho. Capcom screwed up.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if he was post to be black from the start but Japan, anime, black people. Go figure.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
No definitely not a trend. Just extremely unlucky for such an amazing game. Michael Jackson thing you can't blame them for, they did the right thing with the theme (for multiple reasons aside from the sexual harassment. The song is 10000x better now)

Had they known about this voice actor before the game came out, they undoubtedly would have corrected it, given they had enough notice.
That's how I see it. It's a shame that this wasn't discovered sooner, though I don't think we knew about many of the VAs besides Reuben & Johnny pre-launch. I do agree that Capcom likely would have replaced him if they knew about this sooner (similar to how they swapped out the original vocalist of Subhuman for Michael Barr).