• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
This is the English release of the Q&A.

Link: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2017/2nd/explanation_2017_2nd_02.pdf

Capcom expects to reach their 2M sales forecast for MvCi from DLC characters, Black Friday and holiday sales.

Q. Given its current sell-through, how likely is Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite to achieve its full-year target of 2 million units sold?

A. First-half results for this title are in line with our expectations. Going forward, we aim to achieve its full-year target by releasing additional characters, along with holding promotions for the title during Black Friday and the holiday season.

A portion of the total development cost was achieved from the 900k sales of MvCi.

Q. How much of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite's cost was recognized in the first half of the current fiscal year?

A. While we do not disclose detailed figures, we follow accounting principles concerning recognizing development costs, and work to recognize them at the same time as we recognize sales. Because
development costs are distributed over a title's lifetime unit sales, in this case we recognized a portion of the total development cost proportionate to the 900 thousand units sold in the first half of the fiscal year.

MHW promotion.

Q. How has Monster Hunter: World been received?

A. This title received high praise at the Tokyo Game Show as well as other events all over the world, and we feel that our users are currently very satisfied with it. Going forward, we look to maximize sales by carrying out robust promotional activities not only in Japan, but also in the North American and European markets as well.

Nothing to comment about mobile licenses currently.

Q. What progress have you made in connection with the mobile licensing deal from the first quarter? What licensing deals are on the horizon?

A. There is nothing that we can comment on at this time. We will provide ongoing announcements when we are able.

Despite Capcom calling USF2 and MHXX for Switch a success, Capcom still needs to evaluate how to utilize the Nintendo Switch.

Q. What are your expectations for the Nintendo Switch, and how will you support it going forward?

A. We feel the favorable performance of the Nintendo Switch, and the impact it is having on reaffirming the status of home video game consoles, are very positive. Going forward we will support the Nintendo Switch based on our fundamental strategy of multiplatform development.

Further, we are cognizant of the need to evaluate further how to best utilize the unique features of this platform, which differ from those of other home video game consoles.

Regarding small and medium budget titles in development.

Q. In recent years, the number of smaller-scale titles you release has decreased. What is your thinking with regard to appropriating development resources to not only AAA titles, but also to small- and medium-scale titles, and do you feel the resource allocation within your development structure is appropriate?

A. We concurrently invest in small- and medium-scale titles, and currently have unannounced titles in development. Further, with regard to the allocation of development resources, we are able to maintain a high productivity rate by hiring 100 or more new graduates each fiscal year, and assigning them to positions after thoroughly evaluating their aptitude.

Monster Hunter World monetisation.

Q. Will Monster Hunter: World include in-game monetization?

A. At the moment we have nothing we can share other than what information has already been made public.

Their idea of growth for PC is to implement cutting costs.

Q. What measures are you taking to make PC Online profitable and grow?

A. Because growth in the PC market has slowed, we are prioritizing growth of Consumer and Mobile.
We aim to make PC Online profitable by maintaining sales for Dragon's Dogma Online and Monster Hunter Frontier, while implementing measures such as cost control.

Esports related questions.

Q. What are the costs and revenues associated with eSports?

A. In general, eSports revenue consists of revenue from licensing deals, as well as admission fees and fees for broadcasting rights for event operators. On the other hand, associated costs can include
expenses stemming from holding events for event operators.

Q. What are your expectations for future eSports revenue and profit?

A. We are currently at a stage where we are considering monetizing this business from a number of angles, including through promotional activities and running events; as such, we have not set any concrete revenue goals at this point in time.

A new quarter, a new embarrassing question about Capcom's performance in mobile.

Q. Do you lack knowhow in planning, developing and operating games in the Mobile business?

A. Planning, developing and operating knowhow must be thought of as a unified concept; currently, we believe we have room for improvement overall.

About the possibility of games without borders.

Q. Looking forward, it's technologically feasible that the barriers to rolling out content to mobile, home video game consoles, and PCs will disappear. Is your development and alliance structure prepared for this?

A. Our current development structure allows our developers to move between title development regardless of platform, and we have had examples where developers from our Consumer sub-segment have developed titles for mobile devices.

Oct 27, 2017
Further, we are cognizant of the need to evaluate further how to best utilize the unique features of this platform, which differ from those of other home video game consoles.

I don't even know why I'm surprised anymore

Q. What measures are you taking to make PC Online profitable and grow?

A. Because growth in the PC market has slowed, we are prioritizing growth of Consumer and Mobile.
We aim to make PC Online profitable by maintaining sales for Dragon's Dogma Online and Monster Hunter Frontier, while implementing measures such as cost control.

Also this doesn't seem like a very sound strategy. Cutting costs will lead to relative growth, but I don't see how it'll actually expand their PC market/audience

Oct 25, 2017
"Further, we are cognizant of the need to evaluate further how to best utilize the unique features of this platform, which differ from those of other home video game consoles."

This sounds familiar...

giphy.gif

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man, they were really caught unprepared. They don't even seem to grasp the concept! :P

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, MvCi sales are in their expectations? Interesting. I thought that maybe they could be disappointed with that.

And jesus christ, this comment about Switch, mobile and PC. Capcom is in a bad shape with those.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They handed out tests and lost the results.

I'm hoping the best for Capcom. Poor management but I still enjoy their games. Would rather see them succeed

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe everyone at upper management was frozen until now, so they're confusing Switch for the Wii.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
There's no deals from retailers?

Edit: Other than that, they said promoting the game during Black Friday but I don't know if that guarantees price cuts.
I've been waiting for it to pop up on a list but nothing so far unless it just couldn't make it into any of the print ads pictures.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So instead of porting DDO to the West to increase revenue, they will just "cut costs". Sounds good.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why they think they need to do anything different for the Switch. Even Nintendo's philosophy at this point is just "hey what if we just make good games and people buy them because they are good".

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Could MvCI actually achieved that 2million?

Genuine question as it seems to really underperform.

The numbers are shipped, so its certainly theoretically possible, but its not going to happen. There's no way in hell retailers are going to order enough copies of this game to meet that kind of forecast. I'm not even sure when its going to sell out of its original shipment.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they think they need to do anything different for the Switch. Even Nintendo's philosophy at this point is just "hey what if we just make good games and people buy them because they are good".
The same reason some devs were saying nonsense about having to figure out how to use the joycons before developing for the Switch.
Drugs? Ignorance? I actually don't know

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So, MvCi sales are in their expectations? Interesting. I thought that maybe they could be disappointed with that.

And jesus christ, this comment about Switch, mobile and PC. Capcom is in a bad shape with those.

I wouldn't read too much into that tbh.

They probably won't say anything definitive on it until the end of the fiscal year when it fails to hit the target they projected.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
There's no way MvC sold in line with expectations.

Also, MHW push seems pretty big; it looks like Capcom top 2018 product right now and expecting anything less than 4m sounds crazy (given sales of previous entries).

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MVCI was a handful of backdrops, 6 new characters, a shitty 2 hour story mode, and everything they could rip from MVC3. Game is already making a profit and that's not including their DLC.

MVCI's Black Friday sales are going to be retailers getting rid of their unsold stock.

Also known as any other game being sold on a Black Friday at a steep discount. That's the point. Retailers usually order more units since that's the biggest sales period for games.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
Also known as any other game being sold on a Black Friday at a steep discount. That's the point. Retailers usually order more units since that's the biggest sales period for games.

I don't think retailers are going to be ordering 1.1 million copies of MVC Infinite when they have trouble selling through that original 900k.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think retailers are going to be ordering 1.1 million copies of MVC Infinite when they have trouble selling through that original 900k.

I didn't state that. I just said they'd order more over the holidays as games on sale achieve their highest sales during this holiday.

They need to sell 1.1 million by March, not likely, but not impossible.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
How to address the switch?

Make game. Have it work on switch.

Addressed.
yes but the switch has a touch screen so now that means they can't develop for the system because they can't figure out how to incorporate the touch screen i'm sorry

Last edited:

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't state that. I just said they'd order more over the holidays as games on sale achieve their highest sales during this holiday.

In an age where fighting games are frontloaded, Capcom games overshipped, and MVCI's reputation tanked... It's a very, very tall order.

Like even if price cuts are enough for that 900k to be completely sold through, retailers would now have to order over twice that amount they initially received, and sell them at way tighter profit margins. I dunno if they'd like that.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Could MvCI actually achieved that 2million?

Genuine question as it seems to really underperform.
No, Capcom's answer is pretty sly I think: the shipments are ptobably in line with expectations, sell-through is another thing entirely (we know it sold terribly in many markets). As such, I really don't think they can get close to selling 2 million.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

black friday talks begin around at least 3 months before black friday or earlier. mvci completely falls within the timespan where the initial order would be with black friday in mind (it's easier to hold onto stock in a warehouse and meet demand on a massive initial order than try and rush a repeat order). they're not going to more than double the production. not with the sales trajectory of their other recent titles and not with the reputation this game has.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
yes but the switch has a touch screen so now that means we can't develop for the system because they can't figure out how to incorporate the touch screen i'm sorry

You can remove the joycons. What if a player losses a joycon while playing? How can we plan for this possibility!?

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
black friday talks begin around at least 3 months before black friday or earlier. mvci completely falls within the timespan where the initial order would be with black friday in mind (it's easier to hold onto stock in a warehouse and meet demand on a massive initial order than try and rush a repeat order). they're not going to more than double the production. not with the sales trajectory of their other recent titles and not with the reputation this game has.

I'm not stating they'll get double sales over the holidays, just that it would be considerably more than just what's been sold to retailers already.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The game might see a bump once Black Panther and Infinity War are released next year.

Comments about switch support are disappointing though, almost all of their recent games for xbox/ps4 have been disappointing and below expectations, so they double down on their support and increase spending. The two games they have dumped on Switch sold way above expectations and development is likely to be much cheaper yet they still need to evaluate their support?

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
Unique features, huh? Say, the Switch has rails...

Darkside Chronicles 2 confirmed?

Capcom betting against the two things I personally want from them (Switch and PC). Natch.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the Switch, just remember that soon after this weak statement, Capcom CEO has actually went on record to say they are planning to properly invest on the platform.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way MvC sold in line with expectations.

Also, MHW push seems pretty big; it looks like Capcom top 2018 product right now and expecting anything less than 4m sounds crazy (given sales of previous entries).

Sales of previous entries were portable and sold almost 4 million in Japan alone. If MHW manages to match DQ XI PS4 in Japan, it'll need to sell triple what the best selling version of MH did in the west (1 million is roughly the current best).

4m is a lot less likely because of that.

Oct 25, 2017
I am curious to know what are their small and medium scale titles , Outside of Ace Attorney , Umbrella corps and 3DS Monster Hunters then I don't recall them releasing these kind of games in the last three years unless they count remasters in that category

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Unique features, huh? Say, the Switch has rails...

Darkside Chronicles 2 confirmed?

Capcom betting against the two things I personally want from them (Switch and PC). Natch.
It'd be easy, that's for sure. Just convert RE5 and RE6 for their on-rail shooter.

Well, I guess Ace Attorney is at least coming.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I cannot see MVCi hitting 2 million.

Monetisation in MonHun sounds dangerous. Could really hurt the progression of the game and feel invasive. I don't see this going well unless it's just Palico outfits.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I am curious to know what are their small and medium scale titles , Outside of Ace Attorney , Umbrella corps and 3DS Monster Hunters then I don't recall them releasing these kind of games in the last three years unless they count remasters in that category

They're probably counting the revelations titles and teamsters as mid and small titles.