• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
twistedvoxel.com

Capcom Says The Gap Between PC and Console Sales Is Shrinking

Capcom has commented on the success of their games on PC and consoles. In an investors' Q/A, they have expanded on their latest fiscal results.

Capcom has commented on the success of their games on PC and consoles. In an investors' Q/A, they have expanded on their latest fiscal results.

PC has emerged as something of a behemoth market with most major Japanese publishers targeting it for their multiplatform games. Capcom is also aware of the lucrative opportunities in the PC gaming market and continues to support it with their games with a multiplatform release strategy.

In their latest investors' Q/A session, Capcom was asked if the demand for their games on PC was exceeding consoles. "While demand for PC versions of games did not exceed that for console versions in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021, we feel that the gap between the two is shrinking, " replied Capcom.

Glad to see the platform growing in strength. Personally don't think it'll ever come really close to consoles, but it is nice to see it becoming more mainstream and supported.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. We now live in a World where a traditional 2D fighting game release (Guilty Gear) is performing better on PC than on the de facto fighting game platform, PlayStation. The PC market is very wide and reaches places consoles generally don't.

Sep 7, 2020
I hope to see more games come to PC as the platform continues to grow. Its evident that both PS and MS see a reason to get into the market with their first party content, there is money to be made in that space.

Sep 7, 2020
#FreeMVC2 #WhensMahvel. Had to add that so that we can get a MVC2 remaster across PC and console with crossplay and rollback. Also need that MVC4.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I thought PC gaming was dying a few years ago?

Jokes aside. That's good, Capcom is doing great lately so I don't really care where they are success as long as they are successful

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Say it louder for the folks in the back. Maybe other JP devs and publishers can hear them.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
SMT3 HD came day and date with western release. SMT V is probably a 1 year Switch exclusive.
Now, their backlog...
We have no pattern showing this, though.

It's very random.

Old port of Golden. Persona 5 still stuck on PS consoles. No new SMT has seen anything but Nintendo platforms.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Then they should be putting more effort into their PC releases. MHW released with a few pretty important PC-exclusive bugs (despite the delays), and I don't think I have to mention how DRM broke RE8.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And yet Captop is still treating some of their PC releases like it's 2007. Releasing them in a broken, buggy state, ignoring customer pleas for fixes, only responding months later when significant pressure is applied from the press.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): driving thread derail over multiple posts, platform wars
Say it louder for the folks in the back. Maybe other JP devs and publishers can hear them.
They can't even properly support the switch that is the market leader in their own home. I don't see other jp devs supporting PC unless they have western focus

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
We have no pattern showing this, though.

It's very random.

Old port of Golden. Persona 5 still stuck on PS consoles. No new SMT has seen anything but Nintendo platforms.
I assume they're going off most Switch exclusives outside of Astral Chain showing up on Steam 6 months to a year later.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're one of the better Japanese publishers in terms of support( along with Bamco), as they've pretty much brought all their games to PC even console exclusive ones(MHR, MH Stories 2, SFV).

Obviously though they should have better support as some ports definitely required additional patching like RE8, they leave out special enhancements like the DMC5 SE stuff, and MH should be day and date instead of wait almost a year to be brought over. It's pretty much twice now with MHW and MHR.

Oct 25, 2017
They can't even properly support the switch that is the market leader in their own home. I don't see other jp devs supporting PC unless they have western focus
its a lot easier to support PC...which is why you see a lot of games with PC ports without switch. No downporting necessary, no special SDKs, and way more studios available if you want to get assistance.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. We now live in a World where a traditional 2D fighting game release (Guilty Gear) is performing better on PC than on the de facto fighting game platform, PlayStation. The PC market is very wide and reaches places consoles generally don't.

Guilty Gear is selling better on PC? I'm surprised, do you have a link to a press release or news story?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
its a lot easier to support PC...which is why you see a lot of games with PC ports without switch. No downporting necessary, no special SDKs, and way more studios available if you want to get assistance.
And we still see broken games on PC. It isnt that easy
Also by support I mean games developed for the switch from the get go, like you would expect a company would do for a system that dwarves everything else in their country

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I know the gap between PC and console game sales for me is gonna shrink massively once the Deck releases... Will buy almost all games that can run well with good battery life on it. I'll leave the heavy AAA games for PS5 and competitive FPS to PC though.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is bigger in China and Russia than PC gaming?
Most of russians are in Europe so it makes zero sense to include them and Japan is in asia you know. Switch also dominates the Korean and taiwanese console market but we don't know how big is steam there

Maybe it's time for Capcom to actually start caring about their PC ports?
Monster Hunter Rise is going to be their first real big push, going by the leak from last year. They're really bullish on how it will do there as a result of prioritizing the optimization of the game in lower end hardware. Now, whether or not that translates to them learning from World and the long road it took to get content parity with the console versions remains to be seen, but they clearly are going to be watching that game very closely.

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
They've all been doing much better at supporting PC every year. The only exceptions are Atlus which made their two franchises exclusive to Sony and Nintendo respectively and occasionally Square Enix who probably gets paid a truckload of money to make Final Fantasy a PS-only game for a while. Capcom, SEGA, and SE outside of FF have all been doing better and better with PC as times goes on

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of russians are in Europe and Japan is in asia you know. Switch aldo dominates the Korean and taiwanese console market but we don't know how big is steam there
What? Nintendo consoles and games are considered toys for kids in Russia and Eastern Europe. Nintendo is often just a comic relief among gaming communities there and PC is king.

Oct 25, 2017
And we still see broken games on PC. It isnt that easy
Also by support I mean games developed for the switch from the get go, like you would expect a company would do for a system that dwarves everything else in their country
no...thats part of why its easy, the old release it and let the community fix it, and why would they develop everything for the switch from the get go...thats not within the scope of a lot of developers goals. Its generally easier, especially for smaller teams, to pick one platform and focus on it, then worry about porting later, and often times downporting is just not worth the effort, or impossible.

fucking hell peoples switch obsession is insane

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Most of russians are in Europe so it makes zero sense to include them and Japan is in asia you know. Switch also dominates the Korean and taiwanese console market but we don't know how big is steam there
The point is China. China is such a gigantic market that is primarily PC gamers so developers will salivate at the chance to grow their playerbase there. We're talking about a country with a population over a billion

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you guys trying to make this thread about Nintendo.