Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Intro
Ok I know what you are thinking ! "It is about time Capcom entered the 2D Party Fighter genre!" right ? No ? "holy shit this OP is so wall of text that even has an intro give me art" ? ok ... if you don't want to read or discuss anything about how capcom can make an awesome game that will sell like hotcakes, than jump to the last part of the post that said Give Me Art.
Now fasten your seat-belts because the ride will be long awesome because I am thinking way to much of this really want something like this to happen =D

ZnDnTn7.png

Why ?
There are basically 2 companies that I think can make a Smash Bros style game and be awesome : SEGA and Capcom. But SEGA is printing money and already crossover their IPs in awesome casual focused games like Sonic Kart Transformed. Capcom is not exactly that good financially and they practically invented the more casual focused crossover fighter with Pocket Fighter (yes, Fighters Megamix was released earlier in some regions but it was an AM2 crossover, not a sega one. It didn't had SONIC for god's sake!).
Casual focused fighters are making rivers of money. The mobile fighter genre is incredibly popular and even games like Playstation All Star Battle Royale (which was BAD) and Smash Bros 4 WiiU (which was on a console that sold worst than the Vita) sold A LOT. Like "more than SFV" a lot. With this game Capcom not only can make a game like it, with brand recognition to match, and it can release on Switch, a console that is selling a lot and have a history that any nintendo-like game will sell a lot, and the PS4, a console that already sold a lot. And it can cost almost nothing compared to SFV and MvC:I (no licensing deals yaaay). AND it can work as an ad platform for future Capcom titles for an audience that would probably don't care that much about it because they are always dark and gritty and mature. It is a win win win win situation. Hell it is so perfect that they even had their own "+" shaped symbol to represent the crossover !

The basics 1 : The Graphics
If there is one thing that anyone that ever went to The Cutting Room Floor pages for smash knows that smash bros is basically reused content : the game.
And this is good. Reusing models to make trophies and stages is awesome considering you get a reference to a game AND you cut the costs. Specially good if you use mostly the same engine across most games like Capcom's Framework.
Which reminds me, there is a mobile game released some time ago called Puzzle Fighter. I propose that like the CPS2 game that predated Pocket Fighter, much of the assets can be interchangeable.
"But Platy those models are UGLY"
To which I reply "oh god yes". My personal choice would be to remodel the characters for a more simplistic poly count (specially making the faces more cute, with less details of face shape and bigger eyes).... BUT an easier choice would be simply adding some Cell Shading effects ! Here is a basic mock up :

7UGhmru.png
->
QZJ0R2N.png

See ? somehow better, specially if you consider that in the Puzzle Fighter game, the models are zoomed in and immovable. Party fighters are chaotic and most of the time you will be watching like 4 players on a small size, as this crap gif demonstrates :

AND with this you can easily port characters for both games .. so it is like you are making 2 DLCs for the price of one ! =D

The Basics 2 : Mechanics
Playstation All Star Battle Royal failed in lots of points, but besides having the ugliest menu EVER the biggest one was trying so much to recreate the wheel. Look at the soulslike games : don't be afraid to copy what works.
Since you are capcom than you will probably copy Smash Bros Meele's engine than Smash Bros 4's since it has more EVO potential (and this is good, as long as you keep your primary focus on casuals). But I propose a small change that will both make it more Capcom like AND fix one of my biggest problems with Smash controls : You don't need 2 jump buttons. So behold my fix :
j31bOrR.png

Change a jump button so you can have a KICK button ! I propose the default configuration to be the Triangle button because it makes casuals who are just starting the game to focus more on one normal punch when they are learning. And for the initiated, it would be an interesting introduction to the 6 button layout of most capcom fighters. For those who don't know much smash, you can have basically 3 variations of punch :
PyfaztE.png

So with both kick and punch and the wonders of button configuration which is something every game needs, you can have a default 6 button layout in your arcade stick if you are a pro. While most casuals can probably just use L and the smash attack, which is default to the R Stick
I personally would suggest an arcade stick configuration of
2j2hTps.png

Since it is closer to the Versus series with main 2 buttons and you have an easier special button for uses when the regular motion (remember Ryu in smash 4 ?) is not needed and because tap jump sux. Feel free to change punch and kick places.

Which reminds me .... the great thing about this is that Nintendo themselves already adapted Ryu AND Megaman for you. I would personally extend the "you can press B to hadouken but doing the half circle motion is slightly more powerful" to every character so that your filthy pro players can have their fun showing the mastery of controls as well (and allow the 6 button with only punch and kick arcade configuration to be viable). And to make the SFV crowd happy, make the input to be Street Fighter 3 precise because i don't want to give a hadouken randomly when I am button mashing =P

Comeback mechanics can be cool, but more of a super bar that takes a while to fill than overkill smash ball. Can be activated by Special+Punch for Super 1 or Special+Kick for Super 2. Less powerful than smash ball style supers.

Also, as Sakurai himself said : Unbalance is FUN.
Don't spend much time and money balancing it. Just look at any meele tourney. It is basically Fox Falco Peach Jigglypuff Marth Roy and everyone else is shit. This works for the meele pro crowd and works WONDERS for the casual people who love to play 4x4 with itens on. Being unbalanced makes for hilarious couch fun !
A more unbalanced party fighter is perfect for casuals AND cheaper !

Single Player Modes

This one is IMPORTANT.
No need to spend lots of bucks on story mode with lots of voice actors, we are on a budget here !
I propose a few variations :

Arcade Mode
I know, shocking. Make the classic Alpha 3 version of fight a few people (regular rules of the game), a rival (can be the franchise's final boss or main character if you are playing as a villain) than boss. I personally recommend the main ship from Vulgus (Capcom's first videogame) to replace Master Hand. Can move flying, hard to hit, lots of lasers and can summon enemies from that game for cool patterns that you need to avoid.

Ok that is basic. Now lets go for another type of single player (and by single player I mean that every of those modes should also be able to be played in coop dramatic battle style) : Franchise recognition.

Fighting Game Mode
No items, Ryu only, Final destination.
This is the classic fighting game mode. "Omega mode" style stages only, no itens and HP instead of %. Probably ends in the rival fight. See ? you changed basically nothing of the arcade mode and now you have a completly new mode ! =D
As a bonus, after you release more characters you can even make a Street Fighter or Darkstalkers version of this mode where either the enemies or anything you can choose can only come from those games. New mode if you have like 6 characters from a franchise yaay

Megaman Mode
No itens, HP mode, Cage match
You select who you will fight but there is a catch : you will only be able to play as a megaman main character (zero/megaman/bass/etc) AND you start without specials. Defeat a character, you can choose one of their Specials to put on your character Since in the pocket fighter mobile game all characters follow the same height and skeleton, it should not be harder to move swap to megaman. You basically only animation job is adapting stuff from characters like Amaterasu and random Rathalos. "But megaman will be broken if people choose the right stuff" and that is ok because it is a versus PC mode !

Beat em up style mode
Basically fighting polygon team, but the map is very horizontal and made from assets of other stages. Like make a very horizontal stage with assets from city like stages (final fight, street fighter, rival schools, resident evil), a stage with assets from stages from medieval japan (onimusha, okami) and sci fi (megaman, star gladiator, cyberbots) .. enemies can be either fighting polygon team style of one texture of other fighters or even enemies summoned by other characters like zombies from the resident people and raptors for regina's moveset. At the end of the stage, a fight against an actual character, Meele adventure mode style

The Characters
This is where it gets fun and where I need you !
Actually you can post a discussion on any mechanic gameplay and mode I said, but this is where you get art !
oh wait lets call your attention...

Give me Art
"So Platy when can I ask you to draw Regina ?"
The deal is simple, Jawmuncher : You create the character moveset (AT LEAST the specials like B, -> B, vB and ^B) and I will draw that capcom character you created in the style of these 2 :
TuQDquk.png
bA3h3E4.png

How about that ? =D
You can also discuss everything I said before, saying that I am crazy or creating new crazy ideas ... but I will only draw your favorite capcom character if you at least give this character special moves.

Create a moveset for a CAPCOM character -> I will draw said character in the style above
Please avoid repeats with the same moves, so bearded ryu is sadly a no no, but I don't know, Insect Armor Megaman Exe or Evil Ryu are ok because they can be considered new fighters. If you are thinking regular morrigan deserves a different moveset than classic sprite morrigan than you have to make a good argument about it =P

Here is an example that probably nobody will ask :

Character : Vulgus Ship
Hcy64QA.png

(reference image helps, but is not needed)
Because the final boss needs to have a playable form
B - Double Lasers (stop on impact)
>B - Missile (more powerfull, don't stop on impact, needs recharging)
vB - Trow the shuriken like enemy to both sides. Low damage but great area and slightly follows the enemies
^B - Rocket powered jump, creating fire and damaging on the way up

and then I will draw a playable not "flying around boss" version of it:
9uY1HdR.png

Are we good ? Lets the discussion, wishlisting an character ideas begins ! =D

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Phoenix Wright

qUgYhiWwU3HG-k_j6Yfk8DEi_N3dZQhj.png

• Standard B: Evidence (collect in Investigation, throw in Courtroom, projectile in Turnabout)
  • Side B: Maya Shield
  • Down B: Change Stance
  • Up B: Spirit Boost (Maya helps PW go further into the air)

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this thread so let me tell you about my GIRL

Monster Hunter

Her appareance is based on many armors, but the canon one, in order to be visible, is this one;
r8Wjx1b.png

Her moveset is weapon based

B - Dual swords, can be combo
>B - Explosive arrows, stop on impact, small cooldown
vB - Throws a powerful slash with her giant sword in one direction while is propelled to the opposite, can be used as escape or as a jump
^B - Barrel power jump, she throws an explosive barrel to the ground, her animation stops there, so you can use VB to properl you in another direction, however, if the barrel touches an enemy or ground, it explodes and if Monster Hunter is on the radius, she will be propelled in the opposite direction with no damage

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Monster Hunter

Her appareance is based on many armors, but the canon one, in order to be visible, is this one;
r8Wjx1b.png

vB - Throws a powerful slash with her giant sword in one direction while is propelled to the opposite, can be used as escape or as a jump
^B - Barrel power jump, she throws an explosive barrel to the ground, her animation stops there, so you can use VB to properl you in another direction, however, if the barrel touches an enemy or ground, it explodes and if Monster Hunter is on the radius, she will be propelled in the opposite direction with no damage
Besides the barrel, this sounds quite a bit like her MvCI incarnation. Though to be fair, most of my PW moveset is from UMvC3.

Also, OP, they'd probably use SFV Ryu, so I'd recommend a red headband.

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the barrel, this sounds quite a bit like her MvCI incarnation. Though to be fair, most of my PW moveset is from UMvC3.

Also, OP, they'd probably use SFV Ryu, so I'd recommend a red headband.
latest

Her moveset in MVCI is quite different

Yes, both are based on weapons, but to be fair, the true nature of Monster Hunter is none but weapons!

In my version, her uses most of her super moves as ways to move around, I think her as quite speedy but a bit slow in order to do her attacks, however, using her attacks she has a few invincibility frames

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Great thread Platy. Also nice call out lol. Lulu told me since I hadn't been looking at Reset today. I think you're right on the Money. A smash style capcom Fighter would be huge. Especially if it's avaible on all platforms. Gives the smash-less consoles something fun to fill that void and gives Nintendo players a nice alternative that isn't an exact copy like you elaborated. As for Regina....

regina1swz79.png

B - Tranquilzer (similar to snake in Project M)
Side B - Fire Wall (Similar to Pk Fire it Robin Fire in smash)
Down B - Raptor Summon (Raptor rushes forward)
Up B - Pterodactyl carry (homage to this)

She'd be similar to snake in that her regular combos (using primarily her stun rod) would be her knock out attacks. Also her tilts would be other weapons as well with a limited range like Duck Hunt. She'd be a complex character but one that'd have a pay off once you figured it all out.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Soma Cruz

B - Fireball (press to shoot one, hold to shoot 3)
Side B - Scythe (press button to summon a scythe that slowly spins towards an enemy, 2 on screen at a time)
Down B - Dominance (Slow claw attack that if it lands orbs fly out of the enemy and heal Soma)
Up B - Flying Armor (Slowly glides down to the ground)

I know Capcom only put out 7 copies of Dawn Of Sorrow, but Soma is a great character that should be in regardless

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think a reskinned Power Stone with various capcom characters would be enough to awesome. Don't like smash bros :-/

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Soma Cruz

Side B - Scythe (press button to summon a scythe that slowly spins towards an enemy, 2 on screen at a time)
Down B - Dominance (Slow claw attack that if it lands orbs fly out of the enemy and heal Soma)

I know Capcom only put out 7 copies of Dawn Of Sorrow, but Soma is a great character that should be in regardless

This will be great once Capcom buys Konami.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soma Cruz

This is a Konami game

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Protoman
B standard is gun. Hold to use charged shot
Right/left+B puts his shield up. Reflects attacks. Put shield away by Letting go of B
Down+B lets you throw the shield. Knocks back enemies.
Up+B shoots a charged laser straight into the air.
Simple but so is Protoman

Last edited:

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soma Cruz

Biggest Fuck Konami to date lawl

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Trucy Wright

B
- Hit with wand
>B - Throw Phoenix at enemy, hair first
vB - Disappear, reappear behind enemy
^B - Pull explosive device out of panties

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Soma Cruz

XS5LK.gif

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is everyone just trying to ignore/forget the old Capcom - Konami confusion meme? That was one of the best jokes from the old forum.

Edit: Okay, I guess not everyone because a couple folks got it!

Are you referring to an 11 year old thread from another forum that only had 81 posts?

CD99

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
1697392-vgu360.jpg
Nathan "RAD" Spencer

B- Weapon Fire (Spencer will fire either his revolver which can be mashed like Fox's, his rifle, or a rocket launcher)
Side B- Wire Grapple (Spencer's arm brings his opponent towards himself, where he can follow up with a straight punch or an uppercut)
Up B- Zip Line (Spencer uses his arm's grapple function to bring himself towards whatever the arm hits, can be aimed in 8 directions)
Down B- Weapon Switch (Can switch betwen a revolver, a rifle and a rocket launcher)

Last edited:

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Nice idea, but if they're going to use recycled content, I'd prefer seeing Project X Zone's pixel art. Much easier on the eyes!

Anyway, Gene from God Hand MUST be in this game!

latest

He's awesome. I'd probably buy it if he was the only character.

B - Pimp Smack
>B - Ball Buster
vB - Drunken Sweep
^B - Discombobulator

Last edited:

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would say Konami would also have enough of a library for a Smash bros-like game, especially after seeing all the chibified characters in the new Bomberman, but we know how that company does things.....

I think a reskinned Power Stone with various capcom characters would be enough to awesome. Don't like smash bros :-/
Also this, I think Capcom should strive for theyr own flavor rather than copying the competition.

But since Im here I might as well contribute
875f35cfbf592f75b0d02eca66105aaa.jpg

Leon from RE4
B - Handcanon (hold buton to aim, cancelable with dodge)
Side B - Knife Rekka (repeatable up to 3 times)
Up B - Valiant flip (inspired by dodging lasers, in the air its an unique recovery move that does no damage but also is invincible for the duration, on the ground it becomes a short backflip thats also invincible, mostly used for projectiles)
Down B - Knife Counter (its your regular counter move for melee attacks)
Final Smash - Bingo (Leon pull out a Rocket Launcher and starts firing wildly, you are invincible and control the firing direction, but you also cant move during the final smash)

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Bass.EXE

BU6LJTJCMAAsdpn.jpg

B - Air Burst: Fires a spread of bullets in front of the character on ground and when in the air the spread across the ground increases. Bullets have slight stun.
>B - Shooting Claws - Point forward animation and Gospels severed claws swipe up and down.
vB - Explosion: Charges attack by raising arm up glowing yellow. Releases by firing energy bullets across ground.
^B - Earth Breaker: Bass rises up and smashes forward on the ground with an overhead-arm slamming strike. The rise up used to grab ledge. Smashes characters into ground and or could break shield.

I'm no designer but I'd love to this guy more.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
jYSjvVm.png

The Capcom C
Known only as 'C', this blue haired fighter brandishes a mighty sword. Any Ps that don't know their place will soon be put right!
  • B: Capcom Break - Swings its mighty sword horizontally. Hold down the B button to charge the attack.
  • B←→: Capcom Blade - Keep tapping the B button to chain together four different sword attack. Depending on the angle of the control stick after the first import, different maneuverers will be performed.
  • B↑: Capcom Slash - Swings its mighty sowrd vertically giving it some air so it can recover.
  • B↓: Capcom Counter - Enters a defensive stance and, if timed correctly, they will whack back the attack at their opponent

Are you referring to an 11 year old thread from another forum that only had 81 posts?
Which is why it is still one of the best jokes. Someone will fall for it every time.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Platy you do realize that Smashers are often using the directional pad for jumping as well right? And that one of the biggest factors is dashes and how far and fast they are as well as how much landing lag there is on jumps before you can dash? This is why short hop, fast fall, landing lag cancel is legendary because it is what made Melee become so rapid and fast.
Plus you never covered how you omnidirectional block in your inputs either. More than one person on a stage means you may need to block overhead left and right simultaneously and thats where shields and shield breaks became a design staple. Additionally after you do block in a clusterfluff scenario of 3 on 1 or more you need a means to escape which is why dodgerolls exist to begin with.

All that before you even consider things like is it based on health or ring out . Plus if ring out is the thing then how far does knock back on moves come into play, how much can you juggle someone for before they fall out and whether that fall out is based upon damage, stun deterioration, height, move priority or all of the above. Plus you got things like where the kill zone is off screen to determine how far someone can fall before they get KO-ed.

All sorts of stuff here and thats barely touching the surface of smash. All that needs designed up before you design a moveset because until you know that and core functionality you can't design a moveset for anything because you don't know specifically what your player's goals and obstacles are yet.

Theory fighting is fun, but there isn't enough here to really ask us to make movesets for a capcom fighter. Most we can do is just assume you mean design a capcom dude for a game that plays exactly like smash but with a "kick button" as well.

OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Here is the first few ones ! =D

Phoenix Wright

qUgYhiWwU3HG-k_j6Yfk8DEi_N3dZQhj.png

• Standard B: Evidence (collect in Investigation, throw in Courtroom, projectile in Turnabout)
  • Side B: Maya Shield
  • Down B: Change Stance
  • Up B: Spirit Boost (Maya helps PW go further into the air)

xXBeF6G.png

Monster Hunter

r8Wjx1b.png

4i2EneP.png

I didn't read the OP, but can I have HIGEMARU please?

42770_front.jpg

Than read the GIVE ME ART part of the OP ... you need to create a Smash bros style moveset for the dude

Great thread Platy. Also nice call out lol. Lulu told me since I hadn't been looking at Reset today. I think you're right on the Money. A smash style capcom Fighter would be huge. Especially if it's avaible on all platforms. Gives the smash-less consoles something fun to fill that void and gives Nintendo players a nice alternative that isn't an exact copy like you elaborated. As for Regina....

regina1swz79.png

B - Tranquilzer (similar to snake in Project M)
Side B - Fire Wall (Similar to Pk Fire it Robin Fire in smash)
Down B - Raptor Summon (Raptor rushes forward)
Up B - Pterodactyl carry (homage to this)

She'd be similar to snake in that her regular combos (using primarily her stun rod) would be her knock out attacks. Also her tilts would be other weapons as well with a limited range like Duck Hunt. She'd be a complex character but one that'd have a pay off once you figured it all out.

w57Paz1.png

errmmm I mean

Q1ZzdpJ.png

Soma Cruz

VY1pghQ.png

hmmm weird why is that pachinko machine appeared there ?

=P

Ok you get a consolation prize because it was a good joke

PfB8xBJ.png

Me too but sales of Power Stone games have been really bad and 3d complex enviroments with lots of movements and changes and all that is a lot to make =/

And capcom right now needs something cheap that sells a lot

Platy you do realize that Smashers are often using the directional pad for jumping as well right? And that one of the biggest factors is dashes and how far and fast they are as well as how much landing lag there is on jumps before you can dash? This is why short hop, fast fall, landing lag cancel is legendary because it is what made Melee become so rapid and fast.
Plus you never covered how you omnidirectional block in your inputs either. More than one person on a stage means you may need to block overhead left and right simultaneously and thats where shields and shield breaks became a design staple. Additionally after you do block in a clusterfluff scenario of 3 on 1 or more you need a means to escape which is why dodgerolls exist to begin with.

All that before you even consider things like is it based on health or ring out . Plus if ring out is the thing then how far does knock back on moves come into play, how much can you juggle someone for before they fall out and whether that fall out is based upon damage, stun deterioration, height, move priority or all of the above. Plus you got things like where the kill zone is off screen to determine how far someone can fall before they get KO-ed.

All sorts of stuff here and thats barely touching the surface of smash. All that needs designed up before you design a moveset because until you know that and core functionality you can't design a moveset for anything because you don't know specifically what your player's goals and obstacles are yet.

Theory fighting is fun, but there isn't enough here to really ask us to make movesets for a capcom fighter. Most we can do is just assume you mean design a capcom dude for a game that plays exactly like smash but with a "kick button" as well.

Which is why I EXACTLY mentioned COPY THE SHIT OUT OF smash meele or smash 4 but instead of 2 jumps 1 kick button =x
Like "holy shit this game is basically dark souls with robots" but with smash bros.
So yeah, directional jumping, dodgerolls, shields, percent with ring out. copy and paste.

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say you, you are my favorite kind of poster, you earned my follow and I hope to see more of your content in the future

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rajang

monster-hunter-hunting-card-rajang-e1467392454550.jpg

Monster Hunter isn't just about the hunters, it's also about the monsters you fight. Out of all the monsters, I feel Rajang would fit the best into a fighting game. He has a more humanoid build with hands to pick up items, and he's one of the most iconic late-game monsters in the series. He would be a very large and heavy character focusing on brute strength, though coupled with some surprisingly mobile jumps. Rajang would have to be shrunk down a bit to fit with the other characters, but he's already on the smaller side for a monster anyway.

Neutral B: Rajang Laser (Hold B to charge laser, release B to fire laser. You can use the control stick to switch directions before firing.)

uMUx9fm.gif

Side-B: Boulder Toss (Pulls out a giant rock out of the ground that you throw at opponents. If hit while pulling out the rock, you will drop it on the ground, and potentially the opponent's head)

HVa5Fpo.gif

Up-B: Blanka Ball (Leaps high into the air, then slams down at the nearest foe. Pressing B again when you hit the ground will launch you back into the air.)

giphy.gif

Down-B: Raging Roar (Releases a small shockwave that knocks foes back without damage. If not enraged, this will make you enraged, temporarily increasing attack power)

IndolentImaginaryLabradorretriever-small.gif

Other moves

Smash-side Punch: Rapid Fire Fistcuffs
(Mash the punch button for additional hits)

dYV2Xvg.gif

Smash-side Kick: Donkey Kick (Not the Ryu version)

8AqMltx.gif

Super: Spirit Bomb

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Here is the first few ones ! =D

xXBeF6G.png

4i2EneP.png

Than read the GIVE ME ART part of the OP ... you need to create a Smash bros style moveset for the dude

w57Paz1.png

errmmm I mean

Q1ZzdpJ.png

VY1pghQ.png

hmmm weird why is that pachinko machine appeared there ?

=P

Ok you get a consolation prize because it was a good joke

PfB8xBJ.png

Me too but sales of Power Stone games have been really bad and 3d complex enviroments with lots of movements and changes and all that is a lot to make =/

And capcom right now needs something cheap that sells a lot

Which is why I EXACTLY mentioned COPY THE SHIT OUT OF smash meele or smash 4 but instead of 2 jumps 1 kick button =x
Like "holy shit this game is basically dark souls with robots" but with smash bros.
So yeah, directional jumping, dodgerolls, shields, percent with ring out. copy and paste.

These are all so great. Will definitely be using your Regina as an avatar in the future.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

Fair enough then. Carry on and enjoy the theorycrafting and art. Its a fun pursuit and I always enjoyed doin theorycraft movesets for various people's stuff myself to give myself inspiration now and again. Its a good exercise. Have fun.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused as to the intent of this thread. Is this a pitch to Capcom or are you working on an actual Capcom Smash game?

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
If there's two things I love, it's theory crafting ideas for fighting games that will never exist and Capcom. I actually have an image template that's designed around Playstation All-Stars and I made a bunch of mock-ups for Capcom characters using that for fun a while back- so a thread like this is right up my wheelhouse. Might just edit this post a few times through the night and have some fun.

Adam the Clown

Character Theme | Alternate Costume 1 | Alternate Costume 2

Adam wouldn't be the first choice most people have for a second Dead Rising character (second because, c'mon- he's not been done in the thread yet but obviously Frank would be number one with a bullet), but when you think about iconic moments and experiences from the Dead Rising games, the boss fight with Adam is one of the biggest stand outs. From his creepy behavior, his initial brick wall difficulty for new players, his strange death and his weapons being the best in the game- Adam's a real core part of the Dead Rising experience no ifs ands or buts, and I think he'd be a really fun addition to a big roster of Capcom crossover characters.

Befitting his boss battle, I'd imagine Adam as a rushdown character whose chainsaws lead to really fast, low damage, low knock back normals, which he tries to balance out by having a set of pretty slow specials which, while dangerous, have significant windup and recovery, which would make him easy to punish.

Neutral B: Slash Juggle

I'd like to think most of his normals would be based on basic slashing combos with the chainsaws, so for his neutral B, I'd have him do his chainsaw juggle taunt, throwing his chainsaws in the air and slightly in front of him as he catches them- potentially hitting an enemy trying to attack from above, or hitting someone in front of him based on position and timing.

Side B: Fire Breath
For a side B, Adam would breath a cone of dust in front of him, which ignites in a blast of flame after a couple frames. The explosive attack should knock enemies backward and catch them on fire for a second or two, but because it comes out as dust first there's some windup where he's vulnerable before the fire, and there's probably a few frames of recovery afterwards too where he's catching his breath (maybe the fire lasts longer if you hold down the button, but longer recovery if you keep it going?); which should make it easy to punish if it's not timed well.

Up B: Chainsaw Tornado
This is the attack I think of the most clearly when I remember that fight- the spin attack. On the ground, Adam would swing his chainsaws around in a pretty traditional spin attack, moving forward while he spins- the move would have the most knockback of all his specials. In the air, the move causes him to move upwards and slightly forward, giving him some recovery.

Down B: Gas Balloon
Adam blows up a balloon with some weird ass gas; which he throws forward. It bounces forward pretty slowly, but if it hits anyone, it explodes and leaves a haze of gas that can stun for a few frames while the victim coughs. Just like in the game of his origin though, the move has a lot of windup as Adam blows up that balloon, and getting hit too hard while he's doing it will cause the balloon to blow up in his face instead.

Asura

Character Theme | Alternate Costume 1 | Alternate Costume 2

Not really mixing things too much up from a basic character playstyle focus- the protagonist of Asura's Wrath at his core would be another rushdown melee character. The core thing about the character as I envision him to set him apart, though, is that he has a Mantra Meter on screen at all times. As he uses certain moves, it depletes, and he can charge it manually. As he banks certain levels of Mantra, he's able to shift through his different forms- which would give his attacks differing properties.

By default, in his two-armed self, his attacks are fast and low damage/low knockback. His first transformation, Vajra Asura, he gets his extra arms and starts to gain more damage and sends enemies flying much further back, but his attacks also get progressively slower as he goes as well. If Mantra continues to flow, he'll eventually become Berserker Asura- he'll get his former speed back and then some, but continue to hit like a train. The trade-off? Every attack also damages Asura, and his speed has become feral and difficult to control- an input to walk forward is more like a primal dash forward, which makes him harder to utilize and can easily lead to self-KOs if a player doesn't know what they're doing, but in a desperate pinch, the form's extra power could be a lifesaver.

Neutral B- Machine Gun Punch
As long as you hold the button down, Asura just keeps flailing away with a stream of Hokuto no Ken as fuck punches. You don't move at all while you're doing it, and you have no invincibility or anything, but if you can trap an opponent or if they're dumb and just keeping walking into it, you can rack up some solid, respectable damage.
FHMD6bD.gif

Side B- Homing Shots
Asura uses some of his Mantra to fire a stream of fist shaped bullets from his punches. If you hold the button down, instead of a stream, a number of larger, slower moving fireballs are launched out like rockets instead, homing in on the nearest target (though they can be blocked, dodged or rolled through since they're so telegraphed). When Berserker Form, the charged version of this move is more of a grenade than a homing rocket- it travels forward and then explodes in an AoE knockback.

Up B- "Burst!" Dash

Both a key move for high knockback damage and for recovery, the Burst Dash has Asura use some Mantra to send a nearby enemy flying and then dashes forward towards them to deliver a nasty haymaker. It doesn't do much damage, but it's other essential properties help compensate for that. When in Berserker form, the dash's range greatly extends, so using it carelessly will cause you to launch crazy distances and can get self-destructive fast.
HelplessRegularHarlequinbug-max-1mb.gif

Down B- Mantra Charge
Asura shouts really loudly, and gains Mantra. He is immobile and vulnerable while doing this for as long as you hold the button down, but finding time to build Mantra is vital to transforming and to using several moves- making it a vital part of Asura's playstyle.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I recognize that Masamune is probably ten times more likely for such a crossover but screw the rules I'm stanning for my faves. Besides, no character is truly the main character in the BASARA games (except for in Yukimura-den where it's, obviously, Yukimura, but we don't talk about Yukimura-den because... reasons.)

Uesugi Kenshin and Kasuga
Sengoku BASARA
sengoku_basara_x_kenshin_x_kasuga_by_hes6789-d8ypm3k.png

pkN43IK.png

Theme: Bishamonten (Kenshin's stage theme from SBX)
Alt costumes: 1 (x, x) (Their costumes from SB4S); 2 (x, x) (based on Waka and Sakuya from Okami); (If Waka ends up a playable character just replace the second costumes with a much more lithe version of Garuda without the facemask and Maki's outfit)

A dual character, in part due to the character tag system in a lot of the BASARA games, also because of the Sengoku BASARA fighting game spin-off, Sengoku BASARA X, giving all the playable characters a support character- Kasuga was, naturally, Kenshin's. They attack both alternatively and in tandem depending on the combo.

Kenshin, the legendary daimyo famed as the God of War. Kasuga, the shinobi known as the Goddess of the Battlefield. Together they make one of the greatest power couples of the Sengoku era as portrayed by BASARA Team.
  • B - Shin'en (press)/Mitsugi: Byakuya to Tsukirin (hold) - With a tap/press, Kenshin creates a void blade by slashing quickly that shoots out forward. Holding down instead makes Kasuga dive underground into a glowing light that travels forward. Upon release, she pops out of the ground spin-kicking upside-down to damage surrounding foes and kicking enemies in the air above her.
  • B^ - Ninpo: Shirofukurou - Kenshin and Kasuga leap up into the air while attacking. Kasuga then summons her owl, which the two glide down upon.
  • B<> - Shinzan | Mitsugi: Nijikage - Kenshin dashes forward slashing quickly using iaijutsu. Kasuga follows after, leaving a clone copy of her behind made of rainbow light that explodes soon after.
  • Bv - Mitsugi: Rakusei | Shinjin - Kasuga tosses kunai with pink light strings attached at the ends, pulling them back in and dragging enemies in that they hit. Kenshin creates an ice formation that spikes the enemy upward.
  • Super - Kenshin rapidly slashes the enemy over and over again, before Kasuga dances around them in midair while tossing kunai all around. Roses bloom all around as an environmental effect, and they then strike together. A combination of their two Basara attacks. (Basically this:

(15:02 if the specific time doesn't work)
  • Taunt - Kasuga yawns while Kenshin chuckles while holding a blue rose before handing it to Kasuga. She whispers his name before tucking it away.

EDIT: I remembered Kenshin's tag super from SBX completely wrong, so I updated their super here.
EDIT 2: Wow Drayco21 you put a lot of effort into that. Really cool! :D Taking some inspiration, gonna include theme and costumes.

Last edited:

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
Guile (Street Fighter)

B - Sonic Boom (Light)
Forward B - Sonic Boom (Medium)
Up B - Flash Kick (Medium)
Down B - Flash Kick (Light)

Hold back, forward + A or B - Sonic Boom (Heavy)
Hold down, up + A or B - Flash Kick (Heavy)

Two special moves is all he needs, even in a Smash-inspired game!

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Guile (Street Fighter)

B - Sonic Boom (Light)
Forward B - Sonic Boom (Medium)
Up B - Flash Kick (Medium)
Down B - Flash Kick (Light)

Hold back, forward + A or B - Sonic Boom (Heavy)
Hold down, up + A or B - Flash Kick (Heavy)

Two special moves is all he needs, even in a Smash-inspired game!

Wouldn't Guile have his SFV design?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they were to make a Capcom crossover again, I'd hope they wouldn't chibi-ify everyone ala Pocket Fighter. That game's style is only one I can get behind because it's done in sprites.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kk7.jpg

Harman Smith

B - Turns into Garcian Smith, has a quick and silent shot with pistol.
>B - Turns intoMASK de Smith, and able to throw grenades if enemy far away or grapple if close by
vB - Turns into Kevin Smith, becomes invisible for short time before knife throw
^B - Turns into
Coyote Smith, able to jump high and also cover any enemy nearby in locks and chain

Nov 2, 2017
Hmm, gonna keep an eye on this thread. I was a competitive Melee player for a long time, and believe there's a lot of untapped potential in its design, so this project interests me. Can't read through the OP at the moment but will the instant I have a chance.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nilin from Remember Me, yes the game isn't all that and is far from a Capcom classic especially given that they only published it, but adapting Batman combat to a platform fighter, with a character focusing on command grabs and clambering over opponents, would be a neat idea. Hopefully she could be given a new outfit and slightly better personality to fit in with the cast. Remember Me's weird pixel particle effects would look neat and would probably make an interesting visual contrast with the other fighters' particles

B- Sensen Shot, paralyzing projectile ala Zero Suit Samus
Side B- Batman combat lunge, a lunge ala Diddy's side B, where she clambers over the enemy and punches them, able to footstool/double jump immediately after hitting the enemy
Up B- Captain Falcon like command grab, but rather than launching the opponent, it footstools them
Down B- I don't know about this one, we'll just be like Sakurai and make it a counter

Her super is an attack that has her doing the thing where she goes in to the fighters' minds and rewrite their memories. So if she hits Megaman with it, she makes him think Dr. Light is the bad guy, Frank West forgets that he was a photographer in war zones, Amaterasu forgets she's a goddess and just thinks she's a regular wolf, Phoenix Wright forgets his legal training and is held in contempt of court for his negligence, Ken forgets what he haircut he wanted to get from the barber and ends up with the banana hair or Ken finds himself in the middle of Evo Moment 37 and forgets how to parry, Chris Redfield just gets attacked by the dog jumping through the window over and over again, Strider fails to throw his shuriken right and manages to impale himself, etc. Just go on full fan fiction for a short animation for every character. These little bits would be the main reason she exists as a character, as a way to playfully mess with Capcom canon.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is so insulting. Everything for Smash is made from scratch and we should have a better standard when we talk about other peoples hard work.
I think they meant it in the case of stuff like trophies, which is true.

But yeah as far as the characters go, they redid most of the animations from Brawl -> Smash 4.

Not really the creative type, so won't be participating in this thread but will be keeping an eye on it. I really think the next logical crossover are Capcom vs Nintendo (done in the VS style) and Nintendo vs Capcom (done in the Smash Bros style). Hopefully it can be done someday.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think they meant it in the case of stuff like trophies, which is true.
No I think he means it in the context of the playable characters, since thats what this thread is about.

I also dont think its a huge deal and didnt mean to derail the thread which I think is a fun idea. Just a pet peeve I run across a lot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Platy

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
No I think he means it in the context of the playable characters, since thats what this thread is about.

I also dont think its a huge deal and didnt mean to derail the thread which I think is a fun idea. Just a pet peeve I run across a lot.

" that smash bros is basically reused content : the game.
And this is good. Reusing models to make trophies and stages is awesome considering you get a reference to a game AND you cut the costs."

The thread is about the entire game .... the character part is fun and all because it is hard to make people discuss the mechanics of a fighting game so characters is easier and will give the thread a better life =D

But to be fair, if Capcom needs to reuse character models or aimations from Puzzle Fighter or any other game, go for it, as long as it reduces costs and increases profits, making this game closer to reality

I'm confused as to the intent of this thread. Is this a pitch to Capcom or are you working on an actual Capcom Smash game?

It is more of a pitch and a discussion about my biggest dream game in a time that it is closer to becoming reality as ever.
I have zero work on game design or skills as a programmer.

But yeah "ill draw stylized fanart of your theorycrafted Capcom smasher" is also a good explanation as any xD

Ideally it would make Capcom steal my idea and give me a switch code in return for my efforts.
As how the chances of this happening is zero so .... lets discuss and create and draw =D

Last edited:

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
Sissel from Ghost Trick

Sissel.jpg

B - Tap: Calls in Lynne who fires a few rounds from her gun. Hold: Lynne comes in and you possess a sweet potato which she tosses upon release of B in a horizontal arc. Tap B again to swap potato with a miniature Mino statue (scale to in-game version would be too big). Any directional B cancels the move and transitions into that directional B attack.
>B - Possesses a food cart, bike and various similarly sized objects (which magically appear) that roll forward in a multi-hitting move. In air, possesses a guitar (which magically appears) and a shot comes in from off-screen to shoot it which causes it to spin in a shallow horizontal arc which will break apart after hitting an opponent, doing some damage. Shot from off-screen can hit opponents in the path however, which will interrupt the move and the guitar falls straight down towards the ground, can be canceled by other directional B moves. Offscreen shot can come from left or right side, relative to the player character's position on screen.
vB - "Possesses" a wrecking ball, a bunch of crates and various other objects (which magically appear) that can drop on the opponent a la Kirby Stone if in air. On ground, "possesses" various spherical objects such as a basketball or globe. Getting hit from an opponent's move in this state will do damage to you, however, you are sent flying as a projectile that will greatly damage anyone in its path. Can be canceled by other directional B moves.
^B - Turns into ghost form and "traces" upwards in a zig-zag pattern. Does damage upon passing through any opponent's "core", passes through opponents and certain platforms to reach a fixed distance. Cannot cancel, must commit.

Edit:

In this context, possess = transforms into, essentially.

Alt. Costume: the submarine one that belongs to a "different" character.

latest

Alt 2: Black cat suit with neko ears and a red scarf ;)

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
They could just revive Powerstone...

But I'll contribute some for you.

Ratha
InxAPmB.jpg

A small Rathalos from the game Monster Hunter Stories. He has a scar on his left eye.
B A straight fireball, quick but disappears before full screen length due to not being fully grown.
>B Forward charge bite. Can be pressed repeatedly to continue charge and bites, the end of the repeated charge has high damage but much longer recovery as Ratha will fall over due to the momentum.
vB Tail whip spin
^B Backflip (technically a Rathian specialty but hey) Claw Dive. Backflips into the air while extending his tail to lash upwards. The claw dive is a follow up and Rathalos special. He will lunge diagonally groundwards with is poison talons.

Additionally give him limited flight and hover with additional jumps.
Optional w/ Ride alternate outfit.

Some other characters that might be interesting
  • Arisen - Dragons Dogma. You could virtually remake Link.
  • Sengoku Basara
  • Onimusha
  • Ryu, Nina or Fou Lu from Breath of Fire, Rei would be nice too.
  • Lost Planey, guns, grenades, grappling hook
  • Rival Schools fighters