• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this a tease for Classic Resident Evil Ports?

• Yes

Votes: 198 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 312 61.2%

• Total voters

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Jawmuncher - Calling in your expert authority here for final analysis, but the RE3 gif above seems heavily doctored right? Too many slots in the inventory even with the sidepack, there is no just blank "Gun Powder" since that's clearly Gun Powder B, the art seems too clean, etc... So either this is something new in a port, or this is an amalgamation of art pulled from the game and thrown through an upscaler or something... Hmm...

Gotta keep the belief alive. Come on RE1-3 ports!

Monkey's paw wish--it's not a port of RE3, it's actually going to be a 32-bit demake of RE3 Remake. Complete with more sewers and Nest 2, and even less Nemesis.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
For people tech savvy. Do they even have to do anything to these games? Can't you just kinda... release them for digital purchase? Or do that actually have to make like technical fixes etc

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I don't think they are going to make a collection of 1-3 because they aren't ceasing and desisting the Seamless HD team who are currently working on upresing the BGs for the Japanese PC release of RE1.

Oct 29, 2017
For people tech savvy. Do they even have to do anything to these games? Can't you just kinda... release them for digital purchase? Or do that actually have to make like technical fixes etc
Most retro game collections these days tend to be running inside an emulator, similar to the ones you can download right now on your home computer. However, since those emulators usually are open source, usually with terms that make it difficult to use on consoles (see: Night Dive Studios trying (and failing) to license ScummVM for their upcoming Blade Runner point and click remaster), most companies develop their own. Once you have an emulator that you can definitively say runs the game through to completion with no issues, then you dump the ROM in the emulator, and sell it. Each release is different however. For example the Mario 3D All Stars collection is half emulation half native, with various texture, camera, and control improvements. The Mega Man Legacy Collection has rewind features, and the SNK Collection has a full lets play of each game, as a video file, that lets you jump into the game's state from any point in the video. Each of these features requires work to get going.

For something like the Wii's Virtual Console however, just selling a ROM bundled with an emulator gets the job done.

Plus, each of these emulated games must pass current Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo quality checks, in terms of bugs, online v offline performance, letting it run for days without problem, etc.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
So, cvx tomorrow? The classic collection dream is dead if RE4 shows up, i guess.
5 more days so CVX, RE4, RE5, RE6 and RE7.

It's only four days, right? Because the showcase itself is the 21st. So it'll be a teaser on 17, 18, 19 and 20 and then the showcase itself on the actual 21st. So I imagine it'll be 4-7, they generally do not seem to acknowledge CV as a mainline title, or at least in the same way as they do the numbered titles

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Capcom prefers native ports to emulation for anything past SNES. All the PS1, PS2, Wii, DS and even GBA games in their current collections or rereleases are source ported rather than emulated. I'm pretty sure an original RE1-3 classic collection would be ports too.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Probably not but Capcom really needs to be better about this. Seems like such easy money for them. Even doing the thing Konami did recently of just re-releasing old PC ports of classic games would extremely welcome at this point.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Jawmuncher - Calling in your expert authority here for final analysis, but the RE3 gif above seems heavily doctored right? Too many slots in the inventory even with the sidepack, there is no just blank "Gun Powder" since that's clearly Gun Powder B, the art seems too clean, etc... So either this is something new in a port, or this is an amalgamation of art pulled from the game and thrown through an upscaler or something... Hmm...

Yes, it's definitely not a direct capture from any version of the game.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Yeah, it's definitely not just a regular screenshot grab. It'll be interesting to see what we're in-store for tomorrow. If it's an RE4 gif I think Hope might be over though lol.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I think are shop jobs/touch ups just for marketing the showcase. I would absolutely kill for these classic ports but I don't see it happening.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Capcom is reading this thread and laughing

Well, yeah, but they're only laughing because we haven't guessed yet that in addition to modern ports of RE1-3, CVX, and 4-6, they're also doing a native port of RE7 to current gen as well. So you kinda understand why they're giggling, they know they're about to surprise us beyond measure.

Resident Evil: The T-Virus Collection.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
And I'm laughing at them because they are not making the money they could make with a proper re-release of the classics!

I'm literally sitting here and thinking about how much I'd spend on just RE 1-3 + CVX and I actually think they could get $60 out of me. Especially if RE2 has Nightmare Difficulty.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, OG RE2 and 3 should've just been included in the remakes as bonuses. I guess porting/emulating them would've required more work than the ROI would justify.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, OG RE2 and 3 should've just been included in the remakes as bonuses. I guess porting/emulating them would've required more work than the ROI would justify.
That was a common occurrence for a while I believe. I remember Doom 3 BFG for 360 having the older games, Quake 3 for 360 having Quake 2.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I wonder how much trouble it is, I heard MediEvil as a 100% bonus of the remake wasn't just copy and pasting a ROM but overall I don't know if more PS1 games as bonus would be feasible in the current systems.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Publishers are afraid of PS1 games because gamers would go "OMG IT'S SO UGLY!" at least in their mind. Or question "why is it 4:3 on my 16:9 TV!" or some other stupid unfounded unimportant fear.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Even if these aren't happening, I think between this thread, twitter, and elsewhere on the internet. The lack of the classic titles being ported really just sticks out more and more.

You have Capcom porting the likes of every Megaman game and even DMC 2, but 3 classic titles in your biggest series is apparently not viable enough?
Just seems like an odd mindset when they're actively losing out on money from all the people who end up just playing the HD fan ports on PC (Which are played quite often I might add).

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
That was a common occurrence for a while I believe. I remember Doom 3 BFG for 360 having the older games, Quake 3 for 360 having Quake 2.
Well there's kind of a tradition of porting DOOM to everything that has a processor. I think the old DOOM games possibly had already been ported to those consoles before BFG, and id just bundled them in there, but they did make a whole new DOOM 2 episode to go with BFG. If those were indeed the first PS3/360 ports of those games, I think they were also the first ever "PC perfect" console conversions of DOOM, so there was another reason to do those ports.
Even if these aren't happening, I think between this thread, twitter, and elsewhere on the internet. The lack of the classic titles being ported really just sticks out more and more.

You have Capcom porting the likes of every Megaman game and even DMC 2, but 3 classic titles in your biggest series is apparently not viable enough?
Just seems like an odd mindset when they're actively losing out on money from all the people who end up just playing the HD fan ports on PC (Which are played quite often I might add).
There is a general aversion to porting PS1/N64/Saturn-era games to modern consoles to be played on HD screens. PS2-level graphics are about as far as most companies are willing to go back because that's the minimum level of graphics they can make look "acceptable" at 1080p or 4K. Publishers probably think most people aren't gonna wanna look at pixelated (or bilinear filtered) textures and blocky characters at modern resolutions. Not to mention tank controls. Usually 3D games that far back just get full-blown remakes.

I guess the best test cases are the PS1 Final Fantasy games which were some of the most mainstream games of their era. I think something like the old RE games should be advertised and sold as more of a boutique thing for people who are already fans of those games. New fans can already play the remakes.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Well there's kind of a tradition of porting DOOM to everything that has a processor. I think the old DOOM games possibly had already been ported to those consoles before BFG, and id just bundled them in there, but they did make a whole new DOOM 2 episode to go with BFG. If those were indeed the first PS3/360 ports of those games, I think they were also the first ever "PC perfect" console conversions of DOOM, so there was another reason to do those ports.

There is a general aversion to porting PS1/N64/Saturn-era games to modern consoles to be played on HD screens. PS2-level graphics are about as far as most companies are willing to go back because that's the minimum level of graphics they can make look "acceptable" at 1080p or 4K. Publishers probably think most people aren't gonna wanna look at pixelated (or bilinear filtered) textures and blocky characters at modern resolutions. Not to mention tank controls. Usually 3D games that far back just get full-blown remakes.

I guess the best test cases are the PS1 Final Fantasy games which were some of the most mainstream games of their era. I think something like the old RE games should be advertised and sold as more of a boutique thing for people who are already fans of those games. New fans can already play the remakes.

RE has always been a mainstream franchise pretty much since day 1, so your frame of reference doesn't really work in this case

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

Yeah I feel this way about a lot of classics. Where are my classic MK games, arcade beat em ups, stuff like that? I cannot imagine it's some extraordinary effort to put that stuff on a PS5.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
If the original trilogy was $10 for all three, I'd probably swing for it.

That was Quake IV. Quake II actually game in it a paper envelop hastily tossed inside the Quake IV box.

Yeah I feel this way about a lot of classics. Where are my classic MK games, arcade beat em ups, stuff like that? I cannot imagine it's some extraordinary effort to put that stuff on a PS5.

I think UMK3 came out on Xbox Live Arcade back in they day. Now--I wonder if there's any ownership issues regarding WB and the dessicated husk of Midway? I know the classic TMNT arcade game was on XBLA, then licensing issues made them remove the game.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
If the original trilogy was $10 for all three, I'd probably swing for it.

When they just straight re-released the ROMs on PSN they were between $6 to $10 a piece. So there is zero chance that all three would be sold at $10 lol. Depending on the amount of work put into them I imagine the floor is probably $40 for a remastered collection of all three

Last edited:

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
When they just straight re-released the ROMs on PSN they were between $6 to $10 a piece. So there is zero chance that all three would be sold at $10 lol. Depending on the amount of work put into them I imagine the floor is probably $40 for a remastered collection of all three

Fair, I'll just wait for a sale then (assuming this is an actual thing that's happening, and not just marketing we're reading too much into). It's not like Capcom doesn't do fairly regular discounts.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Here's an interesting article that compares the gifs on Twitter to screenshots of the actual games. Lots of little differences adding up...

www.relyonhorror.com

Capcom May Be Teasing Resident Evil PS1 Trilogy Remasters On Twitter

Enter the remastered horror... maybe... possibly... as the official Resident Evil Twitter account gears up for the RE Showcase.
To me this just suggests the tweets were custom made, potentially by marketing.

Id love a classics port collection but I don't see it happening :(

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
The PlayStation Classic deserves to keep Director's Cut all to itself. Let it have something. I own one. I OWN A PLAYSTATION CLASSIC. I PAID FULL PRICE FOR IT. FORGOT TO CANCEL MY PREORDER, DAMMIT.

Sorry, sometimes I need to let all that pain out.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If they really went out of their way to edit GIFs I'll be a little bit annoyed. As the fanbase asking for Classic ports of 1-3 isn't exactly a new thing.
You would think someone on the team would kind realize what they're playing with when its the 25th anniversary.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Here's an interesting article that compares the gifs on Twitter to screenshots of the actual games. Lots of little differences adding up...

www.relyonhorror.com

Capcom May Be Teasing Resident Evil PS1 Trilogy Remasters On Twitter

Enter the remastered horror... maybe... possibly... as the official Resident Evil Twitter account gears up for the RE Showcase.

I've been clamoring for a rerelease of RE 1-3 on modern platforms for years; but I don't think this is it. I think those who've said capcom's social media team just cooked up a mock motion graphics UI with whatever assets are correct. There's no reason why you'd remove the health indicator or add FOUR new slots to the inventory in RE3. I think the stigma against 32-bit era 3D titles' visual fidelity is still too strong for Capcom to even take the PC ports and repackage them for digital marketplaces.

Last edited:

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
I've been clamoring for a rerelease of RE 1-3 on modern platforms for years; but I don't think this is it. I think those who've said capcom's social media team just cooked up a mock motion graphics UI with whatever assets are correct. There's no reason why you'd remove the health indicator or add FOUR new slots to the inventory in RE3.

I fear this is the case. While the ports could have changed UIs with elements moved around or changed a bit here and there (we saw such things in many releases of old classics, with such drastic changes as FF6 UI), there's no way anyone would increase RE3's inventory from 10 to 14 item slots. :/

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I want to believe, but I also can't help but feel we'd have probably seen something about these from the ransomware leaks unless it was a more recent decision to get remasters/ports done.

I guess we'll probably have our answer with the next tweet anyway.