Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Monster hunter gacha - Monsters as anime waifus S star cards.

Who knows what they'll do. Probs a game with lower fidelity to world that can run on switch and mobile which they'll put it on all systems out there and make it crossplay.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
It's gonna be this isn't it ?

jaquette-monster-hunter-nikki-pokapoka-airu-village-playstation-portable-psp-cover-avant-g.jpg

( I'm all for it )

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
My hopes for this are a new MH game for the Switch with the more classical designs with less emphasis on realism but keeping the QOL improvements from World.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If it's a proper MH switch and not something like MH stories 4 million is the floor in Japan IMO. Game will be huge.
Oh yeah, I definitely think it'll do more than 4M - especially considering this one probably wooun't be cut off by a MH4 Ultimate releasing the very next year. Worldwide, I'm confident it could double that amount, yielding at least 8M. At that point, it'd be the second best-selling Capcom game ever, only behind MHW. That could hardly be considered a waste of resources, especially when they are probably working on MHW2 alongside this game. It improves the frequency of releases (3 main releases: MHW, a standalone expansion, and a MH Switch), which together bring in over 30 million units sold for Capcom over a 5-6 year window. Seems to me like a great business practice for Capcom, and it provides a MH game for all platforms.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
How were the psp entries targeted at middle/high school kids

A lot of middle and high school kids in Japan had a PSP and Monster Hunter. I've been speaking to some of my Japanese friends about it recently weirdly enough but every day most of the school would be playing on breaks together.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
We are planning to develop a "Monster Hunter" that can be enjoyed by junior and senior high school students, and look forward to future developments.

Either it's a mistranslation, or this is still in planning and at least two years down the way.
And people were expecting this to be announced at TGS...

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
i have no idea what this means. I was really into MH when I started high school, and I played a ton of MHW in my final year too

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I definitely think it'll do more than 4M - especially considering this one probably wooun't be cut off by a MH4 Ultimate releasing the very next year. Worldwide, I'm confident it could double that amount, yielding at least 8M. At that point, it'd be the second best-selling Capcom game ever, only behind MHW. That could hardly be considered a waste of resources, especially when they are probably working on MHW2 alongside this game. It improves the frequency of releases (3 main releases: MHW, a standalone expansion, and a MH Switch), which together bring in over 30 million units sold for Capcom over a 5-6 year window. Seems to me like a great business practice for Capcom, and it provides a MH game for all platforms.
Yeah seems like a good strategy that they should expand on with Resident Evil. Square could try something like that with Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts too. At this point the Switch market is very lucrative and can stand on its own in terms of big releases but the power gap is becoming even bigger with the PS5 and an exclusive Switch strategy is the best way to go.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
MH selling +4m on Switch in Japan alone seems realistic considering what it did on PS4. Also this is the first and likely only portable MH game for a while - meanwhile the 3DS had the legs of it MH games quite short since they released a new one every 18 months.

Switch is pretty much the perfect plattform for MH in Japan and Capcom knows what numbers could be possible on a global scale if they go all out with it. Could be in the run for the best selling 3rdParty exclusive of the generation with 7R ( well until this ones goes multi and assuming MH is Switch only).
MH has moved beyond that era gameplay and graphics wise. It shouldn't go backwards to that ever again. MH should always aim to look and play more like world, even if things are scaled back on Switch.

Plus MH World is a middle schooler game.
Who says they are going backwards ? Its gonna be a 5th gen MH game anyway, unless you think they are not gonna implement new features and QoL improvements of the last couple years just because its on Switch.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not because it's on Switch just because they mentioned making something similar to the PSP games.
they just mean something kids can play together (locally), which was something they could do with the PSP and 3DS games but right now can't do with the latest game. it doesn't mean going back to the gameplay of the PSP games and ignoring the improvements in World.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
From a newbie to the franchise, Is there a lot of difference between PSP/WII/Switch MH games and MH World apart from engine? is MH World more "destinyesque" and MH switch Phantasy star style?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not because it's on Switch just because they mentioned making something similar to the PSP games.
In the end its business talk and they are gonna paint whatever narrative they need to justify some announcements. They are saying they are targeting that highschool teen market because its likely a exclusive. Same way MHW was never coming to Switch when we find out about the Sony marketing deals - even if it has been possible, they made that deal because they knew PS4 is gonna be the main plattform this game.

They dont want people to ask later why said game is Switch only and not on plattform that already made MHW a success. Same way japanese devs gonna present their games as high end-console experience and dont want people to ask why the games arent coming to Switch. Diversification is about targeting specific markets, even though many gamers own multiple consoles these companies are gonna have justify their different plattform approach and release strategy somehow.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
From a newbie to the franchise, Is there a lot of difference between PSP/WII/Switch MH games and MH World apart from engine? is MH World more "destinyesque" and MH switch Phantasy star style?

The big thing is just the QoL changes. World had an interconnected map, the older games had each little area connected by a loading screen. You can walk and heal in World, you had to stand still and then muscle pose in older games. You can roll/dodge hop in all directions with all weapons in World, but in older games you can do so with certain angles only with certain weapons. There's more verticality in World that gives it a more lively pace, and in older games many places felt like flat arenas with X visual theme.

It's not a huge difference. Especially considering many of these are not ideas that have to be exclusive to World anymore. There's no reason, for example, for them to have disconnected little spots connected via loading screens anymore. One thing older games have over World is the weapon design isn't actually awful like it is in World, where much of the weapons just looked like the base weapon with the laziest "here's the theme of the monster on it" kind of look.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Not really. They're very similar games by and large. The biggest difference in World from the previous games is that maps aren't sub-divided into small areas separated by loading screens.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. They're very similar games by and large. The biggest difference in World from the previous games is that maps aren't sub-divided into small areas separated by loading screens.
Yeah - MHW is MH5 and the natural evolution of the series after what MH4 already started - its weird seeing people acting as if MH games before MHW were NBA Jam like experiences while MHW is NBA 2K.

OP
OP

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Ozzie update your OP now from the following below:

The Q&A is available from Capcom, link:
www.capcom.co.jp

株主総会 | 株式・債券情報 | 株式会社カプコン

カプコンの定時株主総会について掲載しています。

This confirms the question did get asked:
(The following is Google translated)

Q: I would like to ask about the expansion of "Monster Hunter: World" to Nintendo Switch. Also, I would like you to once again sell "Monster Hunter" that high school students can enjoy.

A: Currently, we are not planning to deploy "Monster Hunter: World" on the Nintendo Switch. We are planning to develop a "Monster Hunter" that can be enjoyed by junior and senior high school students, and look forward to future developments.
Just updated the OP.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - MHW is MH5 and the natural evolution of the series after what MH4 already started - its weird seeing people acting as if MH games before MHW were NBA Jam like experiences while MHW is NBA 2K.

I do hope the ideas underpinning World will be the template for the new one. While being recognizably in the same series, I think the leap was huge and meaningful. Also 60 FPS pls, Capcom 😭

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Surprised it took as many as 6 pages before someone claimed MH is already portable this generation because you can stream MHW to your phone or because you can play it on your laptop.

I realise it was probably tongue in cheek

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
MH on Switch is a no brainer, it would be bad business to not make a version for it.
MHW series for the PS/XBOX/PC and MHSwitch for the Switch.

I do wonder how far along that version is, if it is not at TGS.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
MH on Switch is a no brainer, it would be bad business to not make a version for it.

It'll be interesting to see for sure. Insiders have been mentioning the game for years now (3 years?), so odds are it's far into development by now. We could be seeing it at any point now, although a 2020 release or early 2021 release seems unlikely if we don't see anything at TGS.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see for sure. Insiders have been mentioning the game for years now (3 years?), so odds are it's far into development by now. We could be seeing it at any point now, although a 2020 release or early 2021 release seems unlikely if we don't see anything at TGS.
If it's not announced this year then I have a feeling they have internal strife about how much they should stray from the OG MH formula. While TGS does feel like a last stop ,MH Switch is big enough that Nintendo might want to announce it at their own direct.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i have to imagine it's pretty far along, at least for them to officially announce it with a 2021 release date.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Ready for Monster Hunter neXt.

Does MH have a mobile game? because every kid over there probably has a smart phone.
Many over the years: Explore, Dynamic Hunting, Riders, Freedom Unite port, Stories port. None were really successful.

The target is much higher globally but lower than 2020 (MHW:IB) in japan and much lower than 2018 (MHW).
Capcom also tends to underproject for handheld MH in Japan. That was the case for P3rd, 3G, 4, 4G and X which all far exceeded targets locally.

The JP target is also too high for 200-300k seller like RE8 to get them there.

What are teens in Japan into now? Those who played MH on PSP/3DS are hopefully no longer in middle-high school.
Splatoon.

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
While at times I'd just fall into despair, the fact that it took so much time for us to have a somewhat direct hint at a MH on Switch directly from Capcom is kinda reassuring.
I mean, if it's taking so long we can kinda expect they're doing a bit more than upscaling Gen as they did previously, and this is likely going to be a decent effort on Switch.
At this point I can see it being announced or at least teased at TGS.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
That is true, they haven't confirmed the platforms. I believe it's either Switch exclusive, multiplatform or multiplatform but exclusive to one console in one region similar to MHW in Japan.

As for TGS, it's confirmed to be an online digital event. Not too long to go hopefully.
Yeah, it shall be interesting to see. And thinking more about it, if its a Switch game, a reveal during a Nintendo Direct is also possible. Or Capcom can hold a seperate event for that matter, if nothing is announced at TGS :) (I see, i didnt know that TGS is going to be an online event only this year, but it makes sense due to Covid-19).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Bless that one investor, if only he had asked for a Monster Hunter on Switch instead of World specifically lol

I might say that this investor probably asked the question in a way to get an answer that's not "No comment." or "No plans."

If they would've asked directly about MH (not MHW) on Switch, you can bet your arse they would've gotten one of the two above from them.

So bless this one investor, for asking a good question. It's almost like a superpower if we remember the usual questions the ppl ask at these things.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
A lot of people confused about the portable games being aimed at middle/high schoolers here. Did you guys seriously never bring your GBA/DS/PSPs to play with your friends at lunch or after school? (Or during class if you were as sneaky as my friends and I)

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people confused about the portable games being aimed at middle/high schoolers here. Did you guys seriously never bring your GBA/DS/PSPs to play with your friends at lunch or after school? (Or during class if you were as sneaky as my friends and I)
When I was in school they took that stuff away from you if they saw it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like some of us knew this a long time ago and believed it when a real insider said it was happening