Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly don't get the complaints about Brie Larson's performance. It seems to be quite divisive, with most praising her as a highlight and others saying she was probably the weakest link.

Personally, I feel like a lot of people who blame Brie Larson's performance probably just wouldn't be fans of the character in the first place - combine that with some people automatically dismissing her performance because of her "ideals" or whatever. However, I think that the talk that she's miscast will be thrown out the door completely when Endgame comes around.

As always, the more negative voices are going to be the loudest, and that goes the same for Brie Larson's performance. There's nothing wrong with her performance, she does what's asked of her in the script well and shines when her character shines.

Overall, I think the biggest missteps in the movie are what Movie Bob says about the lack of character building in some instances, although I loved that final confrontation with Yon Rogg, and how she stopped trying to live up to his expectations.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Funny enough The Last Jedi has a 7.2 on imdb.
bandicam-2019-03-08-14-05-45-690.png

I was reading that article about review bombing earlier, and they mention that IMDb has a "secret" algorithm or something to compensate for any review bombing, at least in the long run. It's not perfect, but it allows IMDb to maintain a semblance of respectability when it comes to the ratings on movies.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

I liked this spoiler free review. tl;dw is the script is bad, Brie hasn't figured out the MCU version of the character (and neither have the directors or writers), movie is still fun

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I liked this spoiler free review. tl;dw is the script is bad, Brie hasn't figured out the MCU version of the character (and neither have the directors or writers), movie is still fun

I would agree and add that the use of period setwork, costuming and music was brainless and felt inauthentic. Lame, basically.

It was like the filmmakers learned about the 90s from Wikipedia.

That script is bad. I liked the actors but they had shit to work with.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
Really liked the movie, loved Brie Larson in it, loved the music and loved the cat.
What more can I ask? Just more, please.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
She's perfectly fine in the role much better than that horrible actress cast as the phoenix in the xmen reboot who is borderline unwatchable.

It's a perfectly fine movie. I enjoyed it probably more than Antman 2 to be honest. I actually think I laughed harder at this and enjoyed it more.

If you want to talk about dull, then Sophia Turner as Jean Grey was the definition of a dull potrayal.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Script was clunky but I enjoyed the film. I thought Brie was really cool and made a good version of Carol. Perplexed by the comments saying she played it too much like Tony Stark.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Movie was good, but not great. The best origin marvel movie after black panther, though.

The memory scene was really great, I wish the res of the movie had more of that flair.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Sounds like I was right then in my initial feelings of Brie being cast as CAPTAIN MARVEL. In the trailers she just came off as bored, and not owning the role. and that might be because of writing and direction. Which seems to be all over the place from what other reviews are saying.

Also don't know if any of the rumors are true about Russos originally having a draft/version of the film without captain marvel and that this was forced into End game.
It's most definitely the writing and direction. She's a really good actress. As someone who didn't know who Captain Marvel was going in I feel like I didn't really know her by the end as well. Idk, the structure was weird. There wasn't enough there for me. A lot of things felt rushed.

I don't think that last bit is true though. Feels more like some false rumor spread by the mob that wanted this movie to fail.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off the dome I'd say it's on-par with Homecoming. Not in the highest echelon of Marvel with Black Panther and Ragnarok, but only a step below them. SLJ & Brie had surprisingly great chemistry, they should do more work together.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Uhh..the user reviews just bounced up by like 50k within a span of minutes..

Thats..fucked right? RT have to sort this shit..

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm it was a 7/10 for me. Just failed to hit any high notes, though it undeniably had some good ideas. It definitely feels like a Cap/thor 1 in that regard.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I 100% agree. The script is weak and doesn't know to achieve the balance between action, heart, drama, and character development that Markus and McFeely have developed. The character itself is meant to be a bit of a wiseass, but Brie's quip game is just not working because the quips don't crackle. There are moments that feel unearned, drama that comes off as weirdly funny at times, and humor that misses the landing. I understand Marvel wanted a largely female staff behind the camera to match how historic CM should be, but the script definitely needed a bit from M&M.

Still, the movie is not as bad as the reviewers made it out to be. This isn't a sub-50% movie, it's just kinda plain and underdeveloped. But, still the chemistry between Larson, Jackson, Lynch, et al works well. Hell, Ben Mendelsohn in this alone is worth at least a 60%.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
I 100% agree. The script is weak and doesn't know to achieve the balance between action, heart, drama, and character development that Markus and McFeely have developed. The character itself is meant to be a bit of a wiseass, but Brie's quip game is just not working because the quips don't crackle. There are moments that feel unearned, drama that comes off as weirdly funny at times, and humor that misses the landing. I understand Marvel wanted a largely female staff behind the camera to match how historic CM should be, but the script definitely needed a bit from M&M.

Still, the movie is not as bad as the reviewers made it out to be. This isn't a sub-50% movie, it's just kinda plain and underdeveloped. But, still the chemistry between Larson, Jackson, Lynch, et al works well. Hell, Ben Mendelsohn in this alone is worth at least a 60%.

Yeah agreed on the unearned aspect. If I were to point out any negatives, that would be it. The final fight in the third act
when she gets her full powers feels so easy and unearned - all she had to do was recall the times in her life she 'rose' against adversity (all shown in quick cuts! -_-) and bam! unlimited power!!!!

I feel like in more capable hands, it could have a really memorable and satisfying moment in the movie, but it was just a nice light show for me.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
So this is a BP situation where the movie has big cultural signifigence but is pretty mediocre when viewed purely as a movie?

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I would put it below the antman/stranger mid-tier

Not interested in culture war, I will just point out typical action B-movie things I don't like:
* main villain and his power was not established properly, how about you make the bad guys actually do some evil stuff on screen
* inconsistent strength and weakness from both sides of the aliens
* final fight inside the spaceship was too dark and not spacially interesting
* cat hype was overrated. It looks too much like the cat Orion in MIB

Captain Marvel can shoot power from arms and fly, she is to me basically Goku without the goofy stuff. So she is like a grown up Gohan. Boring personality.

I sneaked in an Alita screening after CM and watched it again. This is a fine action movie if they can replace the boyfriend with a competent actor.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
Lol watching Double Toasted's review now, and while I'm not a big fan of them, they bring up some great points, like "If you're making a movie like this, where you know there's bound to be detractors and people wanting it to fail, you'd better work twice as hard to make sure it's good", and "This is like an ant-man with the marketing weight of infinity war". (of course, interspersed with a lot of ahahahahahahahahahahaha's in between jokes)

So this is a BP situation where the movie has big cultural signifigence but is pretty mediocre when viewed purely as a movie?

Fuck no. Personally, I didn't think it was that great, but strip away all the hyperbole, it's still a very good movie imo. Not saying it just now, I'm pretty sure I have a post saying something like that around when the movie was out. It has so many good scenes, I could arbitrarily pick any and it'll still have more weight in it than any in Captain Marvel.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States

No, this is more of a situation where you introduce a phase-1 style marvel movie during phase-3. If they try and introduce all of the cosmic heroes like this in phase-4 there will be issues.

Edit:

Kinggroin revisit Thor 1 and Captain America: The First Avenger. Something's off to me when you're putting IM2, Ultron, and Thor 2 above those.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
No, this is more of a situation where you introduce a phase-1 style marvel movie during phase-3. If they try and introduce all of the cosmic heroes like this in phase-4 there will be issues.
I think going forward, new heroes need to pivot more on established characters. Homecoming and Black Panther did it right.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, Black Panther's characters, setting, and especially its themes elevate it for me to be above most Marvel films. It's up there with Civil War and Infinity War for me (but not The Winter Soldier. After re-examining that film, it's been knocked down a few pegs).

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this with the wife. She left in the middle, but I stuck it out. It wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't good. I'd put it next to the 2nd Antman movie as one of the worst of the Marvel movies I've seen. Thor 2 still being the worst. Brie can be a very good actor, but this wasn't proof of that. Just wooden as fuck, which I'll blame on poor direction/writing.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Saw this with the wife. She left in the middle, but I stuck it out. It wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't good. I'd put it next to the 2nd Antman movie as one of the worst of the Marvel movies I've seen. Thor 2 still being the worst. Brie can be a very good actor, but this wasn't proof of that. Just wooden as fuck, which I'll blame on poor direction/writing.

I think the reason why Ant Man 2 works for me is that they were joking around from the start and the villain was presented to us as not really evil of a person early on. It was going for light hearted/feel good movie the whole time while at the same time being required to show us the extended powers of ant man, wasp, and ghost. My friend I watched it with should have caught on to this when they made the FBI look like a bunch of bumbling fools trying to catch Scott not at home the first time around. Ant Man 2 is like a 60s superhero tv show on the big screen and it gets misunderstood because of that. You could definitely see it in the end chase scene, as it felt like it was inspired by a Charlie Chaplin chase scene. Hell, I could even picture it spoofing the intro of Spiderman and his amazing friends, or even having Stan Lee narration.

Stephen Home

Alt account
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
I would agree and add that the use of period setwork, costuming and music was brainless and felt inauthentic. Lame, basically.

It was like the filmmakers learned about the 90s from Wikipedia.

That script is bad. I liked the actors but they had shit to work with.

Yeah that Blockbuster is a fictional BB that smells good.