Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
MgqhyV2.png

Following up on our previous threads for Black Panther and Infinity War's box office performance, we arrive at Captain Marvel.

U.S. revenue: $353,970,079
Foreign revenue: $638,627,636

Worldwide revenue as of Apr 2nd, 2019: $1,002,651,774

(Check threadmarks for updates!)

Here are the highlights of its debut:
  • Captain Marvel opened with $153.4 million at the U.S. box office
  • That makes it the strongest debut for a superhero origin movie in the U.S. behind Black Panther ($202 million)
  • Audience divide for the movie was 55% male and 45% female, which is the smallest gender divide among MCU films
  • In terms of overall superhero flicks, Wonder Woman has this divide beat with 52% of viewers being women at its debut

• Foreign box office for Captain Marvel has been equally successful, with $303.28 million so far
  • Worldwide, it is seen the second-largest opening for a superhero movie behind Infinity War

LTD performance of all MCU movies can be found below. I'll keep this thread (and the title) updated as we go along, just like always.

p8B5Gw9.png

Previous MCU box office threads:

Black Panther: The Road to $1 Billion at the Box Office

Avengers Infinity War: The Road to $2 Billion at the Box Office

Performance numbers provided by Box Office Mojo and Variety; charts (and thread title) by me.

Last edited:

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking it will land just under Wonder Woman in terms of performance. Really good opening weekend, but not sure if it has the legs or name recognition to keep the momentum up.

On a side note, after seeing all the MCU movies listed on the graph, I can't believe we still don't have a Black Widow movie. I could see that movie creeping up to a billion in box office performance.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking it will land just under Wonder Woman in terms of performance. Really good opening weekend, but not sure if it has the legs or name recognition to keep the momentum up.

On a side note, after seeing all the MCU movies listed on the graph, I can't believe we still don't have a Black Widow movie. I could see that movie creeping up to a billion in box office performance.
The Black Widow movie is on its way, isn't it?

Speaking of which, since it's going to be a prequel as well, I wonder if they'll use Lost in Translation ScarJo for her de-aging reference.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
$800 million what? Domestic? Worldwide total? The former is unobtainable. Captain Marvel would need insane 5x legs to even graze The Force Awakens' domestic run. I would be insanely surprised if Captain Marvel misses $800 million WW, though, with its positive word of mouth.

You really think Captain Marvel can't find about $60 million more domestically to surpass Wonder Woman's domestic total?

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
So you're not doing any analysis, you're just vapidly hyping the numbers? Do I have that correct?

Nope, not doing "analysis" of any sort. (Nor did I imply I was?) As stated in the OP, the numbers come from Box Office Mojo, Variety, Deadline and other publications.

The point of these threads is to track, as a fan, the performance of these movies, and developments that come up along the way. And to have a good time talking about it.

My expertise is in games, not movies. Any analysis stuff I do is over on the gaming side. For movies, I defer to people that know and understand that business.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm not sure what Deadline is thinking with their conservative predictions. Do they have any indication of a huge drop-off next weekend that we don't have access to? Someone on the box office subreddit calculated that Captain Marvel would need a drop close to BvS's drop in order to miss a billion.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The Black Widow movie is on its way, isn't it?

Speaking of which, since it's going to be a prequel as well, I wonder if they'll use Lost in Translation ScarJo for her de-aging reference.

I'm curious how they'll handle this. The early rumors were that it would be a prequel but I don't believe this fully. It feels weird to have a movie that doesn't move the universe's story forward somehow.

My guess is that the majority of the film takes place in the 2000s, showing Widow's relationship with a still-brainwashed Winter Soldier. It will relate to the present somehow, whether it is through bookends or another format.

And this movie will be used as a springboard for Captain America 4, which will feature Bucky in the uniform and likely in a romantic relationship with Widow as we had in the comics.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Did Deadline say it wouldn't hit 1 billion? (To clarify, the number in the thread title is mine, not Deadline's. As it gets closer to hitting 800 million, we'll move the goalpost further out.)
From Deadline:
Final domestic B.O. should be north of $400M. Final global, if the film is front-loaded would be around $750M-$800M, with a shot at $1 billion.
These numbers make no sense. The average MCU movie typically has about 2.5x legs, which would put Captain Marvel well above a billion based on the $450 million combined opening weekend. With an "A" Cinemascore, from what I can tell, Deadline has no reason to expect Captain Marvel to be particularly front-loaded for a Marvel film. There's always a chance, but it's more likely than not that Captain Marvel passes a million.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
From Deadline:
These numbers make no sense. The average MCU movie typically has about 2.5x legs, which would put Captain Marvel well above a billion based on the $450 million combined opening weekend. With an "A" Cinemascore, from what I can tell, Deadline has no reason to expect Captain Marvel to be particularly front-loaded for a Marvel film. There's always a chance, but it's more likely than not that Captain Marvel passes a million.

Huh, I missed that Deadline report. Their number does seem fairly conservative, but I can see why they'd do that, since I used the same number in my thread title.

I was initially debating putting $900 million in the thread title, as opposed to 800. The issue is, I'm personally just not sure if Captain Marvel's a good enough movie to hit that 950 million - 1 billion mark. I like the movie and all, but isn't as well made or poignant as Black Panther was, nor does it have every nearly single character in it the way, say, Civil War did.

In general, I'd put Captain Marvel alongside Doctor Strange or Ant-Man, in terms of just the quality of the movie. I expect the fact that it's Marvel's first major female-led superhero movie (and the fact that it's right before Endgame) will help it get higher than both those in terms of BO, but I can see why Deadline's being conservative.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
it's smashing that, a billi is in play, tho i think the legs from week 3 wont be too good ( cause of Us then shazam )

Mar 29, 2018
It's brilliant because it's so far from being a truly great superhero movie - it's not even the best MCU movie - but its charm and message and point is just so universal and it really works. I'm so happy for it and the team behind it.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Said it for years and the chart really shows, domestic matters less and less as the years go on.
Well done to the team, it was a solid 7 from me and seeing it again tomorrow

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't they buy it for $4 billion? Like shit they've gotta be swimming in lakes of gold lime Scrooge McDuck right now.

My word, nearly $20Billion on movies alone, let alone all the other merch/books/licensing etc. Insane.

and yet fucking Disney stock won't go up. It is insane that Netflix worth more than Disney. I just don't fucking get it. I am up like 3% in 1.5 years of holding Disney while everything else is up 15%+

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really glad this was a success in spite of the manufactured controversy. Its heart is in the right place, to whatever extent you can say that about a big studio movie. Just a charming, good-spirited piece of entertainment centered around likeable characters.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When Captain Marvel gets to 1 billion I'm gonna celebrate big time as it's the ultimate proof that all those trolls have no power at all.

OP
OP
Ishaan

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
ScarJo's box office poison vs Marvel's box office Midas Touch?

Haha, she''s made some bad choices lately, yeah. (Although, I did love Lucy, personally)

Ghost in the Shell was really bad, and honestly, literally anyone other than Scarlett would've been a more interesting choice. I love her, but her being the Major was the most predictable thing you could've done, and they did it.

I kind of feel the way about Scarlett Johansson the way a lot of people do about Brad Pitt—she's an excellent character actor, and her best movies are the ones where she's playing weird, off-beat characters. Unfortunately, she looks like Scarlett Johansson, and so people keep trying to put her in heroine roles.

That might be why Lucy worked for me. Because she did get to play to her strengths. Black Widow's the same way—she was boring as heck in Iron Man 2, but she's only gotten more and more interesting as we've started to see weirder sides of that character. I loved her in Winter Soldier.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they do a third Ant-Man or not. A&TW's box office is not that much lower than Dr. Strange's, but that's a sequel against a new IP -- and as a sequel it only pretty modestly improved on the original's, when you'd expect probably a much a bigger boost given how closely it came out after Infinity War. Maybe they just group Scott and Hope into Avengers movies going forward.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Haha, she''s made some bad choices lately, yeah. (Although, I did love Lucy, personally)

Ghost in the Shell was really bad, and honestly, literally anyone other than Scarlett would've been a more interesting choice. I love her, but her being the Major was the most predictable thing you could've done, and they did it.

I kind of feel the way about Scarlett Johansson the way a lot of people do about Brad Pitt—she's an excellent character actor, and her best movies are the ones where she's playing weird, off-beat characters. Unfortunately, she looks like Scarlett Johansson, and so people keep trying to put her in heroine roles.

That might be why Lucy worked for me. Because she did get to play to her strengths. Black Widow's the same way—she was boring as heck in Iron Man 2, but she's only gotten more and more interesting as we've started to see weirder sides of that character. I loved her in Winter Soldier.
I dig GitS but even I think BW might be box office krypotnite.
This outgorssing every batman movie would be amazing however.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Damn Black Panther looks more impressive each time I see the numbers.