• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From Deadline:
Don't believe the trolls on Rotten Tomatoes' audience score, or the zany, small white dude contingency misconstruing Brie Larson's call for diversity in film critics for man-hating: There is absolutely no question, Disney's Captain Marvel is a huge hit with a $62M Friday (including $20.7M Thursday previews) and a $160M opening weekend, currently the third best for the month of March after Beauty and the Beast ($174.7M) and Batman v. Superman ($166M).
At this point tonight on International Women's Day, Captain Marvel continues to remain male heavy 61% to 39% on PostTrak, though Females over 25 remain the second best draw at 24% behind M25+ (39%), but ahead of Men under 25 (22%). And at 4 1/2 stars and an 86% from females and 80% from males, everyone is just charmed by Captain Marvel. Diversity demos are broad 47% Caucasian, 20% Hispanic, 16% African American and 14% Asian. Definite recommend is still high for the Anna Boden-Ryan Fleck directed MCU title at 69% with 58% of the audience saying it met their expectations and 35% saying it exceeded.
But everyone on Gab told me it was destined to flop!

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Estimates point to it, but probably best to wait for official Friday numbers and Sat estimates before going too hard with the $160m opener.

Having said that, it is a huge success out of the gate, and the word of mouth should be very strong on this. The lack of meaningful (no, Slayven, Wonder Park is not meaningful) competition for weeks will be a help as well.

Worse than Batman v. Superman confirmed

I'm sorry
NOT A RECORD!

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that I don't know how opening weekend numbers work. it's only Friday.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that I don't know how opening weekend numbers work if it's only Friday.

It could in theory go up or down to up to 10%, but there is enough data from past releases to extrapolate how the film does over the weekend, most blockbusters have the same pattern of friday -> increase on saturday -> decrease on sunday (percentage-wise, there are some exceptions where the film gets so well received it stays flat on Sunday, or the word of mouth is so bad it collapses on Sunday) so it's fairly easy to guess how Captain Marvel should do based only on Thursday pre-shows and Friday box office.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can generally make accurate weekend projections by Friday.
It could in theory go up or down to up to 10%, but there is enough data from past releases to extrapolate how the film does over the weekend, most blockbusters have the same pattern of friday -> increase on saturday -> decrease on sunday (percentage-wise, there are some exceptions where the film gets so well received it stays flat on Sunday, or the word of mouth is so bad it collapses on Sunday) so it's fairly easy to guess how Captain Marvel should do based only on Thursday pre-shows and Friday box office.

Simple enough, thanks!

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I saw it in dolby today afternoon, theater was entirely packed and my AMC is running the movie every 15 minutes in the evening across many theaters. So yeah, it should do really well, especially since there really isn't strong opening for a few weeks - Us (Jordan Peele) next week, Dumbo 2 weeks later so really empty month.

Wonder Woman blows this movie out of the water in every way except box office I guess, be interesting to see how WW2 does in comparison to this. Also be interesting to see how China receives this movie, they are super unpredictable when it comes to western movies.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wife and I saw it in dolby today afternoon, theater was entirely packed and my AMC is running the movie every 15 minutes in the evening across many theaters. So yeah, it should do really well, especially since there really isn't strong opening for a few weeks - Us (Jordan Peele) next week, Dumbo 2 weeks later so really empty month.

Wonder Woman blows this movie out of the water in every way except box office I guess, be interesting to see how WW2 does in comparison to this. Also be interesting to see how China receives this movie, they are super unpredictable when it comes to western movies.

Its currently doing very well in China, so a very strong international take this weekend should also be expected.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Off-Site Drama
I hate to get into offsite shit but look how this moron keeps sliding into irrelevance.

Mod Edit: Removed Inappropriate Content

Last edited by a moderator:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Whewwww on the website in the OP they are FURIOUS in the comments, LOL!

Last edited:

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States

Re: china it really depends on whether TenCent is doing the marketing for the film there.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone thinking the movie would be a flop would be extremely misguided as it is a MCU movie. Not only that, it's also a MCU movie that has been built up for a while, starring an important character that is gonna be the main character moving forward. There is 0 reason to think that it would be a flop.

I can't believe anyone legitimately thought it would bomb, it's just usual people that are hateful for the sake of being hateful and some others trying to bait reactions.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like shitty internet opinions don't fucking matter because there's like a thousand of these idiots at maximum and they're just really loud. The abject confusion at this obvious and inevitable outcome is delicious.

Nice going, Captain Danvers.

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's only Friday, I'm assuming this estimate will continue to go up throughout the weekend

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I hope this is the case, but Deadline has no idea how math works. Their estimates constantly shift throughout the weekend. So I wouldn't use them as a barometer of anything until the studio officially releases numbers Sunday and Monday. Doesn't mean Captain Marvel isn't a huge success by any definition, but better to get the facts straight before we start crowing.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
There was absolutely no chance this wasn't going to do well. The floor for these films are easily $500 million worldwide now. Losers just keep on losing and the world will keep on spinning. Back to the basement with them.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe anyone thought this shit was going to bomb. The average person doesn't care about whatever these losers decided to be mad at Brie Larson for and they don't care about audience reviews either. A Marvel movie isn't going to do badly until at least after Endgame.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
qskmkgghmok21.jpg

Snow Halation

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 2, 2019
Did people seriously expect the Infinity War 2 prologue to fail? Places like Deadline give internet trolls way too much power.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I need to check this out but I'm heading on vacation next week and have no time to squeeze it in. I'll have to check it out after. Glad it is doing well! Brie Larson was fantastic in Room. She's come a long way since 21 Jump Street!

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
even though i didn't love the film, im gonna use my amc alist to buy a ticket all 3 days until shazam comes out, and then itll just be 2 days, to stick it to these fucknuts.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
That's a lot of money! Probably gonna watch this week if I can, along with DBS Broly which also comes out this week in my country. Better late than never I guess.

I hear there is a Stan Lee tribute? Worth it, if only just for that (though reviews are promising regardless).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Circumstantial but I'll say the theater I was in was packed and it seemed a lot of people enjoyed it so hopefully it'll have good word of mouth.