• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
And yet it is not enough.

www.economist.com

Why car insurance in America is actually too cheap

Prices are rising, but most drivers still have paltry coverage

The damage that cars cause to society simply cannot be overstated.
Seems to be echoed by this podcast admittedly biased against cars. However, I find the main health insurance points raised to be valid. It seems that there are a lot of hidden financial burdens for everybody due to mass car ownership.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
then what difference does it make how big the country is? If the issue is majority of trips being under 5 (3?) miles and commutes in from the suburbs, the size of the country is a wash; what's needed are just the progression of local change over time; it was doable with bulldozing apartments for downtown highways, it's doable for public transit

The average American commute to and from work is 41 Miles a day.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
The average American commute to and from work is 41 Miles a day.

When my company was still based in Plano I was doing five days a week at about 42 miles EACH WAY. When we did RTO, we were doing one day a week as a team. Once we went to our new building, we do two to three, but it's a soft mandate. Now I do about 45 total, but since it's only two days a week it's fine.

The one thing I miss about the north east is just being able to hop on Metro Norths or Amtrak trains if I wanna go somewhere.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Mine went from 400 to 600 for 6mo. Bought a new car and they added an additional 300..

Thanks state farm.

Yup, know how that is. Also State Farm.

Always love how my insurance goes up when I purchase a new car, even if it's a lower trim model.

"It's a new car, more expensive to replace parts", my insurance agent tells me. I reply, "Oh, so does that mean my insurance will go down as my car gets to be older?"

"Oh, no, sorry, it unfortunately doesn't work like that." Yeah, I'm well aware. My car insurance has never gone down.

I'm paying just under $800 every 6 months. The highest I've ever paid.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I may be crazy but cars becoming prohibitively expensive on top of jacked up insurance rates is not good in a country where you need a car in most places and public transportation is 100 years behind the curb and no one makes any money.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
Tfw your rates go up because, in addition to all other factors, you drive a car with no doors on it, otherwise known as "driving a Kia/Hyundai."

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Tfw your rates go up because, in addition to all other factors, you drive a car with no doors on it, otherwise known as "driving a Kia/Hyundai."
The way my shit jumped even though I drive a Hyundai with an immobilizer chip had me gasp. Then when I went to shop around because fuck that shit, I ran out of air.

Feb 9, 2018
This is one of countless reasons why we absolutely need to move away from a car-dependent society and towards one where walking, cycling, and transit are viable options. Cars are an absolute disaster for personal finances. My vehicle is fortunately paid off (it's a 2002 Ford Ranger), yet my insurance rates have increased from $50 to $61 since early last year. $11 a month isn't a ton of money, but it adds up. Between gas, insurance, and maintenance, I'm still putting upwards of $2000 a year into that old truck, and when you're only bringing in $22k a year, that $2000 is a lot of money. I absolutely could not afford to add payments to the mix. If anything happens to my truck, I'm fucked. I have muscular dystrophy and can't even walk to the grocery store (a 1-hour walk one-way) much less to work (a 3-hour walk one-way), and the transit around here is a joke, with the bus system having highly limited routes and an even more limited schedule.

Order of Out

Jan 31, 2022

The way my shit jumped even though I drive a Hyundai with an immobilizer chip had me gasp. Then when I went to shop around because fuck that shit, I ran out of air.

I had to shop around as well, my 2018 has theft protection but the discount was only $75/yr with my old insurance.

And +1 to everyone saying "no" to the GPS tracking, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but if they give you money to access that data they're using it for something... and it ain't to help you, buddy! I don't need anyone but me and god knowing when I'm doing 140mph.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I'm so glad I don't own a car anymore. I was paying 400 dollars a month in insurance at the end of it, and with my car falling apart and needing constant repairs it just wasn't worth it. I'm so much less stressed now.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I had to shop around as well, my 2018 has theft protection but the discount was only $75/yr with my old insurance.

And +1 to everyone saying "no" to the GPS tracking, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but if they give you money to access that data they're using it for something... and it ain't to help you, buddy! I don't need anyone but me and god knowing when I'm doing 140mph.
There's been accounts of people with those things getting rate spikes too with those things even though their driving patterns haven't changed. Sure, they could be lying, but there were enough in that handful of comments that I read for me to be even more suspicious.

Order of Out

Jan 31, 2022
There's been accounts of people with those things getting rate spikes too with those things even though their driving patterns haven't changed. Sure, they could be lying, but there were enough in that handful of comments that I read for me to be even more suspicious.

Yeah, same. The 5-6% discount isn't guaranteed year over year. I get more off by paying in full, that eats a paycheck one month a year but at least it's consistent savings.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Idk what the heck just happened, but I was just billed $700 for my Car Insurance this month and I've only been paying $158/month for years. I have State Farm. Looking at the bill it looks like some of the discounts I had were also removed for some reason, like the "Good Driver Record" discount. I've never been in an accident and never filed a claim.

I'll be calling them first thing when they open and see what's going on. No way in hell I'm paying $700/month for Car Insurance… for ONE car. Anyone else with State Farm have this happen recently? I'm in California, if that matters.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Idk what the heck just happened, but I was just billed $700 for my Car Insurance this month and I've only been paying $158/month for years. I have State Farm. Looking at the bill it looks like some of the discounts I had were also removed for some reason, like the "Good Driver Record" discount. I've never been in an accident and never filed a claim.

I'll be calling them first thing when they open and see what's going on. No way in hell I'm paying $700/month for Car Insurance… for ONE car. Anyone else with State Farm have this happen recently? I'm in California, if that matters.

I have State Farm and I get billed for every six months. So $700 would be ~$116 per month maybe?

Unless they're asking for $700 for just one month.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I have State Farm and I get billed for every six months. So $700 would be ~$116 per month maybe?

Unless they're asking for $700 for just one month.

I can't really tell by looking at the bill. I have monthly autopay on and was suddenly billed that amount. Being billed $700 for six months would actually be a discount for me if that's the case, and I doubt the bill would actually go down that low. Idk… I can't make heads nor tails of it at the moment. All I know is $700 was taken from my account that I wasn't expecting.

Will call them in a couple of hours when they open and get to the bottom of it.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm curious how much the insurance on my 17 year old shitbox with a manual transmission will go up this year.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
My rental insurance went up quite a bit, so now I'm dreading when my car insurance is up (I pay annually). I don't think even changing companies will help that much because I'm in CA and it seems like we just need to pay up.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Before everyone blames this on pure greed, realize the prices in auto and home insurance industry is "heavily" regulated. The sharp decrease in 2020 was indirectly mandated by state laws. The increase this year was only allowed after state regulators granted the increase.

If you want car insurance to be cheaper
1) cars need to be cheaper to buy and cheaper to repair
2) extreme weather events needs to stop happening with increasing frequency
3) people need to stop getting priced out of insurance which leads to more uninsured drivers on the road and the insured shouldering more of the costs.
4.) They could not spend 100s of millions of dollars every year on advertising.

Any company that can book 10+ nfl spots every week can't cry poverty when they raise my rates without getting some serious side eye.