crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this in the New Releases section of Steam and my initial thought was, "$70 is a lot to ask for a card battler." Then I saw the launch DLC and yep, that sure is a decision.

vDUfZeB.png

Now I'm not sure if this is an existing IP or what the deal is. If anyone's familiar with the series(?) I'd love to your thoughts on this.

OP
OP
crienne

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely an existing IP, it has like a million anime series.

Interesting. Also just did some reading and this *is* the first time a Vanguard game is releasing not only on PC (also on Switch) but also in English. So I can see that fans of the series may have been super hyped about this, and I hope that the pricing isn't them just taking advantage of that.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Valve tried this with Artifact to some degree, curious to see if this is able to better find an audience.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw this as well and was incredibly confused at the pricing. Didn't recognise it and its the price of triple A titles. Never mind the dlc.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
$70 for a Vanguard Sim + Story Mode. Then is that $65 for extra cards not included in the base game? I'm going to assume that the "Rare Card Sets" are available in the game as higher rarity so you're paying $10 each to avoid the grind. Otherwise that's another $90 for extra cards. Ehhhhhh.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, people have been memeing on the pricing since it was announced.

But given that it's the only official way to play the game digitally in English, fans are kind of forced to pay this much. And some might even justify it by saying it's cheaper than physical cards, or cheaper than microtransaction-based games from its competitors.

Thankfully the rare card sets aren't really needed (they just unlock the cards immediately instead of having to earn them from boosters). The $10 sleeves are hilarious though: they look ugly as hell.

What's really tragic is that this will probably bomb, and then the devs will use that as an excuse to never bring any other Vanguard game to the west ever again. And this is a franchise that already has a very cursed history with its digital releases. Cardfight Online (a Master Duel style F2P title) was basically finished (you can find beta footage online). But then they just canceled it for seemingly no reason.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I don't personally have an issue with the cost of the base game or the additional card pack (you're getting a lot for what you're paying and it's a one time payment with no awful MTX currency nonsense) but I can't deny that it's clearly a tough pill for many to swallow in an environment where people expect digital TCGs to have a free price of entry.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you thought the Steam price was weird, the Switch version is even more wild- it's (as far as I can tell) the first Switch game to launch at $70 instead of $60
www.nintendo.com

Cardfight!! Vanguard Dear Days for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Cardfight!! Vanguard Dear Days and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.
Someone's gotta do it first so it stings less when Tears of the Kingdom is priced at $70.

monkyrez

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a real shame as a CFV fan that can't really make it out to locals I was pretty excited for this but the pricing sucks. Not only that but the DLC for upcoming sets is going to be like 6 months past the physical card game's meta which I understand as Bushiroad still wants to sell physical product but in a world with Master Duel, MTG Arena, and PTCGO just feels bad. Here's a good video from CFV YouTuber DifferentFight if anyone is interested in a perspective from a long time Cardfight player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2hg5Xule6M

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I've never played Vanguard before, in real life or in a video game, but I like to play some single player TCG sometimes, like Legacy of the Duelist, so I added this game to my wishlist. And then I saw those prices.

From what I understand about the DLCs, there is only the card pass that could be worth it, the rest being either cosmetics (card sleeves for 8,49€, lol), or cards you can unlock while playing (rare card sets). Even then, it's still 58,99€. Plus the pass I guess.

I already bought Sonic Frontiers this month, so I'll wait one year for a sale... If there's one.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Vanguard before, in real life or in a video game, but I like to play some single player TCG sometimes, like Legacy of the Duelist, so I added this game to my wishlist. And then I saw those prices.

From what I understand about the DLCs, there is only the card pass that could be worth it, the rest being either cosmetics (card sleeves for 8,49€, lol), or cards you can unlock while playing (rare card sets). Even then, it's still 58,99€. Plus the pass I guess.

I already bought Sonic Frontiers this month, so I'll wait one year for a sale... If there's one.

Vanguard is my favorite game so I am very biased, but if this is as playable as EX is, its going to be a great game despite the meme pricing. Very apt comparison to LOTD, but not nearly as many cards unfortunately. The game is more fun in my biased opinion though, there isn't interaction like Yugioh or Magic so you wont get countered on your turn, you play control by using abilities and attacking on your turn and guarding using your hand as shield on your opponent's turn. It's very fun, very luck-sacky, and theres a ton of really cool decks.

The DLC is a few sets that are not in the base game that will be coming over the course of the next year to bring the game current to where Standard is as of this week. The rest is pointless, don't buy it unless you really like the sleeves or just want to unlock things faster.

Bushiroad has a history of bizarre decisions, this is really par for the course for them unfortunately. I'm just happy it's finally getting localized AND theyre adding cards via DLC.

Yeah, it's a real shame as a CFV fan that can't really make it out to locals I was pretty excited for this but the pricing sucks. Not only that but the DLC for upcoming sets is going to be like 6 months past the physical card game's meta which I understand as Bushiroad still wants to sell physical product but in a world with Master Duel, MTG Arena, and PTCGO just feels bad. Here's a good video from CFV YouTuber DifferentFight if anyone is interested in a perspective from a long time Cardfight player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2hg5Xule6M

Yeah, I quit for a long while before COVID and got into Premium again this year, its fun but here in Orlando there's only like one locals and the community is not my favorite. This is basically the only way I get to play the game outside of solitaire and my friend coming over and getting a game in every 6 weeks or so lol

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

I would not be stunned if after the first month, it falls into a price chart history like Atlus did on all their digital PSP games in the 2012-2016 period or what EA does with Titanfall 2 on Steam/console currently- It will go on sale for a deep discount (75% in both the above examples) once a month or so. With the $70 price on the Eshop, it almost seems like they designed it for that "scam" where developers put a high price on their game and then perpetually sell it at 90% off as a sale to show up on the deals page and entice people to buy it, thus driving it higher in the algorithm

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally have an issue with the cost of the base game or the additional card pack (you're getting a lot for what you're paying and it's a one time payment with no awful MTX currency nonsense) but I can't deny that it's clearly a tough pill for many to swallow in an environment where people expect digital TCGs to have a free price of entry.
To be fair it's not that I even expect a free price of entry either. If anything card games moving towards that model is why I don't play them much anymore since it inevitably requires you to pay more in the end.

I think it's just rough when a lot of us aren't really familiar with the franchise/game and the base cost of entry is well above the price of the majority of PC games.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
To be fair it's not that I even expect a free price of entry either. If anything card games moving towards that model is why I don't play them much anymore since it inevitably requires you to pay more in the end.

I think it's just rough when a lot of us aren't really familiar with the franchise/game and the base cost of entry is well above the price of the majority of PC games.
Yeah, without a doubt. If it had a smaller version available (like $20) with maybe the campaign and a cut down card roster to begin with, I think it would help alleviate a fair bit. Having those two huge numbers right in your face is rough.