• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Huh, that's wild. This guy has a podcast with Merlin Mann that I've listened to a few times... and I just bought that magic puzzle thing from Kickstarter about a week ago.
I just heard about that Kickstarter today in connection with #CAHisover and it sounds like the kind of thing I'd be into if all this wasn't going on. I'd also somehow forgotten about the rape accusation. Gotta love milkshake ducking, yeah?

I've only played CAH once, years ago, and appreciated it in the same way Clay did, as being a bit of of-its-time shock value humor. The game hasn't aged well, for sure.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
There's a ton of situations when I'm not going to be around a computer/TV screen, so "just play quiplash" isn't going to be possible.

I completely disagree that it's recognition rather than cleverness, some of those 2 card or 3 card... cards absolutely require you to be clever with them. We have done "notecard" rounds though where you grab some notecards, make your own cards, and then we toss them at the end of the game.
Play game of things. Its cards against humanity but you make up the cards.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda crazy because isn't CAH kinda big on doing campaigns against Trump? You would think they would know better.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm not sure if CaH did the Harry Potter version but Jesus how horny that game is towards underage characters was fucking gross.

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of CaH and how it's the only game people want to play. It's unfunny, unsmart, has no strategy to it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
There's a ton of situations when I'm not going to be around a computer/TV screen, so "just play quiplash" isn't going to be possible.

I completely disagree that it's recognition rather than cleverness, some of those 2 card or 3 card... cards absolutely require you to be clever with them. We have done "notecard" rounds though where you grab some notecards, make your own cards, and then we toss them at the end of the game.
Quiplash is on Switch, I can't imagine a situation where I could play a card game with people but not have them whip out their phones and play in tabletop mode for a more fun experience.

The note card round does sound like a fun house rule though. Doesn't really help the game's case there since its your own invention but I bet that's a good time.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Does Giant Bomb still do things with them? I remember years ago they used to have them on stream.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Patrick Klepek will speak up on this matter. Patrick(and Giant Bomb in general) used to be pretty close with Max. I want to say Patrick was working out of their office for a while.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I wonder if Patrick Klepek will speak up on this matter. Patrick(and Giant Bomb in general) used to be pretty close with Max. I want to say Patrick was working out of their office for a while.

Patrick did a LOST podcast with Max a few years ago, too. A quick Doritos search doesn't turn up anything in Patrick's past mentioning the accusations against Tempkin, although nothing to condemn him for it, either.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
As far as Giant Bomb concerns, I think they have not been doing any content nor communicated with max since maybe 2015. I don't see any of the GB guys, even Patrick back then talked with max publically on twitter after 2015. It kinda drifted over time.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Though it's not surprising in the least, it doesn't make it any less upsetting that these people had to go through that. I'm glad they feel that they are able to speak out now.
I hope so. I believe Giant Bomb stopped working with Max (on-camera at least) back in 2014 when there was a rape allegation made against him.
Unfortunately I think most places just decided to silently not cover CAH or deal with Max any more, rather than making a statement about it.
I'm not sure if Patrick commented on it or not now; but I see that he did continue working with Max on a podcast until mid-2015 which was disappointing to find out.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Glad to see Anita Sarkeesian speak up about her complicity. When I noticed her starting to promote podcasts and talks she was doing with Temkin over a year ago I was disheartened and stopped following her work.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game was never that funny. And whatever humor it had got played out by the 5th hand that I can only see HS kids (and that's being generous) laughing at.

"A bunch of Jews killed by a big black dick"

Har har har.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Casual Racism the game is run by a piece of shit?
giphy.gif
I've not seen all the cards (we don't have all of the sets) so I can't comment on your text, but the gif sums up my thoughts, really. On the one hand I appreciate dark humor more than most and will take some more vile things with more than a little awkward discomfort, but some of the stuff I have seen on the cards beyond the "a bigger, blacker dick" one pushes things to where you wonder if it's not just dark humor after a point.

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
dobyfriday.com

…yet | Do By Friday

This week’s challenge: draw Spike
i haven't listened to it yet, but it seems like Merlin Mann and Alex Cox have a statement at the beginning.
[/QUO
This was my favorite podcast, and as much as it sucks to say it out loud, I'm not sure if they should keep it going. They have a Patreon that pulls in a ton of money every month, and Max was a big reason for that. I feel like Alex and Merlin should either start something new or just shut it down. It's a real blow, because Do By Friday was a real source of comfort and sanity over the last couple of years.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I've not seen all the cards (we don't have all of the sets) so I can't comment on your text, but the gif sums up my thoughts, really. On the one hand I appreciate dark humor more than most and will take some more vile things with more than a little awkward discomfort, but some of the stuff I have seen on the cards beyond the "a bigger, blacker dick" one pushes things to where you wonder if it's not just dark humor after a point.
The game definitely has its share of truly offensive cards, some of which that the CAH team even replaced and haven't been included in sets for years. On occasions when I do play the game with a group, there are a few cards we actively pull out because they're especially offensive to people in my gaming group.

The game's crass, stupid humor can be great source of catharsis, and it's possible to get really creative with the cards. But none of that really changes the fact that Temkin is a shitheel. I've always been leery of him ever since allegations against him surfaced years ago and it's been years since I last bought any CAH expansions and I haven't bought any of their other games, either.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Cards Against Humanity was pretty funny the first couple times I played it at parties then everybody wanted to play it too often and now I hate it. Same trajectory as the Jackbox games for me. Definitely won't miss CAH at all.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

He had a Lost Podcast with him some years back but that got canceled the moment when the issues regarding Max came to light.