• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bonkers
latest

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Batman and Robin spend far too much of their time battling corrupt police and politicians to fall for Blue Lives Matter nonsense

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
latest

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, Frank is a white reactionary fantasy largely enjoyed by white reactionaries.

On the other hand he regularly beats the shit out of cops and goes to prison.

He'd start clapping cops if he saw some of the shit done by cops. Frank had zero chill. Reminder: he was invented by a filthy liberal lol.

And comics dial shit up to 11, so they'd prolly be worse than cops in the real world, making Frank feel justified in murdering them. The only bad part would be when he killed them all and the "story ended" because things have to wrap up in six issues.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I love Judy, but the signs are there. Not to mention, her relationship is platonic and even if it wasn't, that's not a card to play.

Nah, that shit ain't platonic. Judy certainly started out as a character harboring prejudice, as we can see in her first encounter with Nick. But she undergoes a lot of character development in the movie, realizing that predators are just the same as the prey, and that the whole "instinct" stuff is bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get Reggie. Sam on the other hand ...

iu

Rewatched a bunch of Hey Arnold episodes with friends in college, whenever an episode focused on Stinky, we'd just do impressions of him saying racist shit with his accent.

"Now Arnold, I likes ya, but you are spending waaay too much time with that black feller. My father doesn't take too kindly to the sight of that and he doesn't want me hanging out around people that encourage it."

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
To be fair, US cops are basically a big gang
Maggie's a pretty adamant anti-authority figure... especially when it comes to rebelling against oppression like the Ayn Rand School for Tots nursery (where she orchestrated a jailbreak) or sparing an innocent butterfly from being victimized in The Longest Daycare.

It's a pretty consistent character trait with her... also manifesting in subplots in Four Great Women and a Manicure and Puffless. She's adept with a firearm but she's particular about who she tries to gun down with it.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
latest

Mr. Blik from Catscratch (the black one, ironically)

Blik would try to make Waffle a useful idiot, but that wouldn't last very long. Gordon would stay out of it or advocate for Scottish rights.

They all 3 would fit, IMO. That show was made by a transphobic jackass who writes for Breitbart.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I don't get Reggie. Sam on the other hand ...

iu

Rewatched a bunch of Hey Arnold episodes with friends in college, whenever an episode focused on Stinky, we'd just do impressions of him saying racist shit with his accent.

"Now Arnold, I likes ya, but you are spending waaay too much time with that black feller. My father doesn't take too kindly to the sight of that and he doesn't want me hanging out around people that encourage it."

I'll never listen to Stinky the same way ever again. Just imagining him saying that with his voice is too fucking real lol

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, Hank Hill is the first thing to came to mind. I think he would simultaneously hate Trump though.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
He'd start clapping cops if he saw some of the shit done by cops. Frank had zero chill. Reminder: he was invented by a filthy liberal lol.

And comics dial shit up to 11, so they'd prolly be worse than cops in the real world, making Frank feel justified in murdering them. The only bad part would be when he killed them all and the "story ended" because things have to wrap up in six issues.

This is what I love about the character of Frank Castle, he's ideologically so malleable that he essentially becomes a mirror for anyone on the political spectrum. Far right reactionaries see an endorsement of their manichean worldview of a post-civil rights America, flooded by drugs and crime and in need of a white masculine strongman. Anyone liberal to straight leftist (yourself and myself included) sees a cleverly cloaked indictment of toxic masculinity, the police state, the failed war on drugs, Vietnam, racism in America and so much more. It's true that Gerry Conway created the character and has had a hand in shaping Frank towards what he is today. Conway not that long ago essentially said that if Frank had been present at Ferguson he would have been mowing down cops. But Mike Baron and Chuck Dixon wrote the vast majority of Punisher stories through the definitive 80s and 90s when the character really hit the big time. Both of those guys are straight up Trumpers or even Alt-right in Baron's case, and you can see what appeals to that mindset with their work, even if some of those stories are genuinely good.

Not to get too academic, but Althusser wrote a lot about ideology as an inescapable and hegemonic fact of life under modern liberal state rule, and in many ways I see Punisher stories and their consumption as demonstrative of this point. Punisher comics are simultaneously subversive and retrograde depending on who reads them because the ideology of the state encourages and co opts any and all readings into its larger projects of domination. Frank is a cog trapped in a machine and the more he fights back the more everything seems to stay the same in his world. The profound irony of the conservative reading of Punisher is that it's founded on the belief that all America needs is a few well-armed white men willing to do whatever it takes, yet it also deep down requires an unchanging belief that America is and will always be sick and diseased, in unending need of pacification. Unlike the cowboy archetype that serves as a proto-Frank, who fights to make himself obsolesent by conquering the frontier and converting it into civilization, deep down most conservative Punisher fans don't want his "war on crime" to end, both because they enjoy the stories but more importantly because they can't envision a world for white men where they have value outside of working in service of a violently repressive state apparatus, either extra-legally or legally. This is why the entire "American dream is dead" narrative of post-1950 America appeals to them, because it gives them a fantasy of a highly race-and-class-based crusade to participate in. Punisher is a post-modern ideological dead zone who can be read almost anyway politically and that's what makes him so appealing.

Mar 9, 2018
Like Donald Trump and many others, scam artists cling to police and authority while at the same time doing incredibly unethical things. Eddy would totally apply.