Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Basically what the title says.

Recently, one of my two cats started to eat less of our usual dry food (we feed them with wet food in the morning and dry food in the evening). So we tried to switch it up and he seems to like the new dry food more (the other one wolfs down anything).

While researching which dry food to try, I ran into the question in the title.

Obviously cats are carnivores, and that's basically the argument I often seemed to read online - eating anything but meat or fish isn't "natural". I wasnt really satisfied with that, as in the end what matters is a healthy diet.

A cat in the wild will also eat things other than meat - chewing on grass or through eating herbivores. From what I could gather reading articles with study references it seems like cats can digest most grains just fine, even not being omnivores, and badly balanced meat only cat food can f.e. be heavy in phosphorus, which can lead to kidney disease. Of course that doesnt happen with well balanced grain free food.

In the end I just chose to look at how the brands at my local pet food store compare when looked at by the most prominent consumer organization for comparing goods in my country - and a dry food containing whole wheats for better digestion was rated better in dietary balance than another "wilderness" brand advertising to be grain-free.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, at the end of the day it's kind of going to be up to your cat. Their digestive systems are pretty distinct and some cats will be able to stay healthy on one kind of food that another cat will ignore, or get sick after eating.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the cat I guess. My old age (He's between 16 and 20; kinda stole him off an abusive neighbour so not sure) moggy eats whatever is on offer or cheap and has lived a healthy life, loves it and digestion seems fine.

My former housemate had a Bengal; used to have violent and messy shits (Once on my duvet as I slept as I let the cats in my room) if he didn't have grain free stuff.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I am of the camp that cats are carnivores so I feed mine roughly 90% canned wet food and 10% dry food. We also have cat friendly house plants that they'll eat. I based my decisions mainly on this site, which is recommend you check out:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.

A veterinarian explains the basics on properly feed cats which are strict carnivores, and the link between a poor quality diet and common diseases.

Also, would you mind posting the articles you mentioned in the OP? Kinda interested in seeing them.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I'm not sure but for the past 15 years I've fed my cats nothing but Blue Buffalo, the indoor health one with the illustration on it or Wilderness. They always have healthy amounts of energy, their fur and teeth look good, satisfied after eating unlike giving them garbage ass foods.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mine need a special prescription high-fiber food and I have no idea what is technically in it. All I know is they stopped eating a ton of the wet food and prefer to have the dry food.

I supplement with freeze dried chicken treats.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I bought blue buffalo grain free food for my cats for years. They frequently vomited it back up. Eventually I switched to purina's sensitive stomach food. No more barfing. It's got grains, they've put on a little weight, and they no longer throw up every other day.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I do Purnia Pro Plan wet food. Only food they love and I spent 100's on different foods until this.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I bought blue buffalo grain free food for my cats for years. They frequently vomited it back up. Eventually I switched to purina's sensitive stomach food. No more barfing. It's got grains, they've put on a little weight, and they no longer throw up every other day.
Our cats would do this cuz they fuckin scarf that shit down and it expands in their fuzzy little bellies and then they puke. We got them a maze feeder to slow em down and so far so good.

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Also, would you mind posting the articles you mentioned in the OP? Kinda interested in seeing them.
One article I read is this one:
www.petmd.com

Is Grain-Free Cat Food Better?

Dr. Matthew Everett Miller explains everything you need to know about grain-free cat food. Is it good for cats? Is it also gluten-free?

It references digestability studies but doesnt actually provide a link, so i searched a little and found stuff like this:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Cats Have Increased Protein Digestibility as Compared to Dogs and Improve Their Ability to Absorb Protein as Dietary Protein Intake Shifts from Animal to Plant Sources

Because dogs are omnivores and cats are obligate carnivores, it is of value to pet owners and nutritionists to know how well they digest protein from plants and animals. This study evaluated the difference in digestibility using plant and animal protein ...

OP
OP
Muffin

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I did switch to a Purina one for dry food. Think it's called "Purina One Bifensis Dual Defense" or something like that. The kind might be specific to Germany, dont really know.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
One article I read is this one:
www.petmd.com

Is Grain-Free Cat Food Better?

Dr. Matthew Everett Miller explains everything you need to know about grain-free cat food. Is it good for cats? Is it also gluten-free?

It references digestability studies but doesnt actually provide a link, so i searched a little and found stuff like this:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Cats Have Increased Protein Digestibility as Compared to Dogs and Improve Their Ability to Absorb Protein as Dietary Protein Intake Shifts from Animal to Plant Sources

Because dogs are omnivores and cats are obligate carnivores, it is of value to pet owners and nutritionists to know how well they digest protein from plants and animals. This study evaluated the difference in digestibility using plant and animal protein ...

Thanks for the links. I read the second one, but it looks like the study was funded by Hill's Pet Nutrition (which is a pet food company) and performed by current or former employees. So this conflict of interest seems iffy to me. I'll have to see if I can find any bias free studies when I have time.