2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Don't feel guilty, spaying is one of the best things you can do for a cat, and prevents a host of other issues, especially in females, like uterine cancer.

Oh no! Is he OK?

Thanks, I know it's for the best just tough to watch her go through it. Her brother is doing total fine. So good actually that I'm wondering if I should have got a cone for him to to put them on equal footing for playing.

Few recent pics (do these Imgur embeds look terrible for everyone or just me?)

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
These are incredibly beautiful cats, aww.

Few recent pics (do these Imgur embeds look terrible for everyone or just me?)

It's best to copy the image link themselves (right click, copy image link) and then embed them as images:

wxkJTsAl.jpg

7A2MHgkl.jpg

eqDsZDzl.jpg

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question here maybe you guys have some insight into this situation:

So we have two cats, one is about 9 y.o. and the other 3.

We kind of messed up when we introduced them to each other when the latter was a kitten, in that it was kind of rushed, but they seemed to get along reasonably well for a long time until late last year when we decided to spay both of them. Ever since then things have been kind of a shitshow, they seem to absolutely hate each other now. We moved fairly soon after spaying them too, so we had to get new litterboxes and everything, and now the younger of the two is just a lot more aggressive and territorial when she really wouldn't do that previously.

Anybody have any tips in regards to how we should try to approach this? They weren't like best of buddies but they got along a whole lot better before all of this. Could have just been several stressfull events back to back, but we've been pretty stable for more than 6 months now and they're still like this.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Question here maybe you guys have some insight into this situation:

So we have two cats, one is about 9 y.o. and the other 3.

We kind of messed up when we introduced them to each other when the latter was a kitten, in that it was kind of rushed, but they seemed to get along reasonably well for a long time until late last year when we decided to spay both of them. Ever since then things have been kind of a shitshow, they seem to absolutely hate each other now. We moved fairly soon after spaying them too, so we had to get new litterboxes and everything, and now the younger of the two is just a lot more aggressive and territorial when she really wouldn't do that previously.

Anybody have any tips in regards to how we should try to approach this? They weren't like best of buddies but they got along a whole lot better before all of this. Could have just been several stressfull events back to back, but we've been pretty stable for more than 6 months now and they're still like this.

Asked my SO, solutions:
1) Change the location of litter boxes and add more, so that neither of them feels blocked by the other.
2) Also change locations of food bowls, water bowls, and scratching posts / trees.
3) Play with them and give them treats when they're together, so that they're both distracted and associate each other with good things.
4) Spread valerian herb around the house, this calms cats down.
5) Try to see what seems to triggers fights, e.g. going to litter boxes, etc.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Asked my SO, solutions:
1) Change the location of litter boxes and add more, so that neither of them feels blocked by the other.
2) Also change locations of food bowls, water bowls, and scratching posts / trees.
3) Play with them and give them treats when they're together, so that they're both distracted and associate each other with good things.
4) Spread valerian herb around the house, this calms cats down.
5) Try to see what seems to triggers fights, e.g. going to litter boxes, etc.
Thanks for the tips Weltall, going to speak to my SO about this as well to see what we can do. Most of their fights seem to focus on either near the litter boxes (we have 2 at the moment and it's really weird to see them fight about it since they shared 1 back before we moved and never had any problems) and near the staircase. It's almost always the younger one starting shit too not the older cat. The younger one likes to stay on one of the steps of the stairs to try to block the older cat from going to the second floor.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for the tips Weltall, going to speak to my SO about this as well to see what we can do. Most of their fights seem to focus on either near the litter boxes (we have 2 at the moment and it's really weird to see them fight about it since they shared 1 back before we moved and never had any problems) and near the staircase. It's almost always the younger one starting shit too not the older cat. The younger one likes to stay on one of the steps of the stairs to try to block the older cat from going to the second floor.

The easiest solution would then to position litter boxes so that the youngest can't block all of them, i.e. put some in the first floor.

Also you should have [cats+1] litter boxes in general; in your specific situation I would add one more, so four, at least for now.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The easiest solution would then to position litter boxes so that the youngest can't block all of them, i.e. put some in the first floor.

Also you should have [cats+1] litter boxes in general; in your specific situation I would add one more, so four, at least for now.
We plan to do so when we move, we're only in a studio right now so even if our place technically has two floors, it's all very small and there isn't a good spot to put in another box at the moment. Might try to separate the two at least somehow.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We plan to do so when we move, we're only in a studio right now so even if our place technically has two floors, it's all very small and there isn't a good spot to put in another box at the moment. Might try to separate the two at least somehow.

If you're moving very soon that's a possibility, but otherwise I'd consider getting a smaller tray or something.

And now for something completely different: from the "pics that make you laugh" thread.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i was wondering why my cats were quiet in the office. they found a frog. its back leg looks like it got attacked. i ended up just releasing it outside before they end up eating it.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Thank you, I think that is it. He has never lashed out without me petting him. He always runs to see me (or food I bring him) when I walk out onto the porch. I will have to try and work with him and see if I can get him more use to be petted because he at this point would not make a good pet cat, especially for someone with children.
I have one cat you can pet all day long with no fuss and another that gets overstimulated easily. The best thing you can do with the overstimulated cat is to simply stop petting them once they get to their threshold. After some time, you can figure out their tells. The one that gets overstimulated will start to turn her mouth toward my hand and slightly opens her mouth, and I know that's it. I don't push her out of my lap or walk away from her (which just makes her act dejected). I just stop petting her and she can decide if she wants to exit the lap or walk away. Conversely, she will also let me know to keep petting her because if I stop before she really wants, she will pet me back. She doesn't really communicate that way with my wife, but my wife also doesn't pet them as actively as I do because she didn't really grow up with animals the way I did.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Looking like he'll be fine, other than him being a gigantic princess. Two dogs crossed the street (while their owner was with them, no less, but no leash or collar on either) while I was walking him and tried to attack the two of us. At least we saw the address they came from, and pretty sure there was a witness from another house too.

His leg was super swollen from the injury, even though it was only at the top of his leg (hence the bandages). Thankfully swelling has reduced heaps in the last few days, and Taika has been a pretty good companion. Like I think I said earlier, suspect Kiki is still a little intimidated :)

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Looking like he'll be fine, other than him being a gigantic princess. Two dogs crossed the street (while their owner was with them, no less, but no leash or collar on either) while I was walking him and tried to attack the two of us. At least we saw the address they came from, and pretty sure there was a witness from another house too.

His leg was super swollen from the injury, even though it was only at the top of his leg (hence the bandages). Thankfully swelling has reduced heaps in the last few days, and Taika has been a pretty good companion. Like I think I said earlier, suspect Kiki is still a little intimidated :)

Poor thing. :( Glad that Taika is taking care of him, at least.

People that walk their dogs unleashed are the worst. I've had an adopter of ours have their dog killed by another. My SO's father was also attacked by a dog while on the elevator with its owner; he got a huge gash on his hand that had to be sutured and left him with reduced sensibility and mobility. In both cases, this wasn't the first time it happened, and their respective owners are as aggressive and dangerous as the dogs themselves, even threatening their victims afterwards.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Poor thing. :( Glad that Taika is taking care of him, at least.

People that walk their dogs unleashed are the worst. I've had an adopter of ours have their dog killed by another. My SO's father was also attacked by a dog while on the elevator with its owner; he got a huge gash on his hand that had to be sutured and left him with reduced sensibility and mobility. In both cases, this wasn't the first time it happened, and their respective owners are as aggressive and dangerous as the dogs themselves, even threatening their victims afterwards.
Oh, they weren't being walked. they were just hanging out in their front yard with their owner and came across. Their owner didn't even stand up until we were being attacked, and even then he just yelled at the dogs!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Is it close to your home? Can you easily avoid that house during walks?
Yeah, it's fine :) Been reported to council etc. too, who are following it up. Will also be dropping a letter in their letterbox with the vet invoices/receipts!

In better news, the animals are keeping my wife company while she works from home and I work onsite:
D8ZH8MOl.jpg

ZqRmf38l.jpg

That's Kiki's new microchip cat feeder. She grazes, but we can't leave her food out while Taika is around because he gorges. Prior to now we would've had to keep Kiki in her room, but now we can leave her room open and they can run around freely (hopefully).

Update:
25d47X0l.jpg

Last edited:

ForKevdo

Nov 2, 2017
My 6 month old Micah is finally getting his adult canines in, but I lost the baby teeth roulette and his old ones are retained. Hooray for dental surgery :(

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
2Blackcats Orange girl cats are rare, genetically. (Not as rare as a male calico though.) I had one though, and she was the best.

When we got the kittens we picked from a litter of 4. There were 3 orange and 1 black kitten. We adopted 1 orange and the black kitten, a boy(orange) and a girl(black) according to their momma's owner.

When we brought them to the vet a few days later he told us they were both boys. Then when we brought them back for their boosters 5 weeks later we were informed that the ginger was a girl.

They were very fluffy so its understandable that it was hard to tell and of course we love them no matter what but it was pretty funny for them to keep changing gender.

Some obligatory kitten photos,
Cqjhary.jpg

EVIQV4s.jpg

5wXO5NV.jpg

FRoC9NV.jpg

Ziggy and Pedro

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out that we'll officially be adopting 2 kittens next weekend!

Been planning on it for a while and honestly after how this year has been feels great to have something that just makes us happy.

Anyone have any tips, things we need to think about etc.

Oct 26, 2017

I was going to ask if the dogs were leashed or not. How hard is it to leash dogs?! That's so frustrating. We constantly see unleashed dogs in our area and it drives me bonkers. Our dog is a small rat terrier too, so half of these dogs could eat him for breakfast if they wanted.

giphy.gif

They are ridiculously cute. I love the names too.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I was going to ask if the dogs were leashed or not. How hard is it to leash dogs?! That's so frustrating. We constantly see unleashed dogs in our area and it drives me bonkers.
Unleashed dogs in public are illegal in my city. They're only allowed in designated off leash areas. A lot of pet injuries and even deaths can be prevented if a city has leash laws.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
When we got the kittens we picked from a litter of 4. There were 3 orange and 1 black kitten. We adopted 1 orange and the black kitten, a boy(orange) and a girl(black) according to their momma's owner.

When we brought them to the vet a few days later he told us they were both boys. Then when we brought them back for their boosters 5 weeks later we were informed that the ginger was a girl.

They were very fluffy so its understandable that it was hard to tell and of course we love them no matter what but it was pretty funny for them to keep changing gender.

Some obligatory kitten photos,
Cqjhary.jpg

EVIQV4s.jpg

5wXO5NV.jpg

FRoC9NV.jpg

Ziggy and Pedro
Mind if I

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Does anybody own a Savannah or Chausie cat? I thought the Savannah was gorgeous but now that I've seen one on youtube, no way I'd want one. Sabian is his name, and he's crazy. Savannah are very active and hyper and very vocal, he growls and hisses a lot. They take him for walks just to burn off some of that energy. Then they got another Savannah, and now they just got a Chausie kitten, which is another breed that is super active with wild jungle cat heritage. That house is going to be insane with wild cats. They also have a Maine Coon, who spends most of the time just trying to stay away from the crazy cats. Poor guy.

I was quite happy with a lazy cuddle buddy. No way I'd want a house full of wild cats.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to ask if the dogs were leashed or not. How hard is it to leash dogs?! That's so frustrating. We constantly see unleashed dogs in our area and it drives me bonkers. Our dog is a small rat terrier too, so half of these dogs could eat him for breakfast if they wanted.
Oh, this guy looked like a complete no-hoper deadshit so I doubt he cares about anyone but himself and his beers :/

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Mandarin (adopted approx 1mos ago) has been "play stalking/pouncing" me. He doesn't bite or latch on, he just sort of waits for me under a bed or around a corner then jumps out at me, taps me (no claws), then runs away. It's cute but I'm afraid of having him under foot so much- I might step on him or trip and fall.

I've read that ignoring it or hissing is a good way to get them to stop. He seems to be doing it more frequently now, maybe he's getting bored. I have plenty of toys for him but he was an outside cat and probably much more active than he is now (he's young, probably 1yr).

Any suggestions?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I had a bossy cat that ran the house and play pounced all the time. He let me live there. He was always bossing around the dog too, but chewing on his dog fluff didn't do much. He'd just let it happen.

One day the cat was being a real pest trying to get attention while I was trying to get some work done. He'd jump up on the desk, I'd put him back on the floor and he'd jump up again.

So I hissed at him.

At first he was shocked then he started batting my arm. "How dare you speak to me that way! I'm the captain here. When I want attention you will give it to me and you will like it. Is that understood?"
"Yes sir. Sorry sir. It won't happen again."

Meanwhile the dog is watching all this with great concern.
"Dude, are you crazy? You almost died. What were you thinking?"

When the cat is the boss, he gets what he wants.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah, it sounds silly, but hiss to your cats when they do things you don't want to. They need to see you as the alpha, for your good and the good of the other cats. A cat that wants to be the alpha is nothing but trouble.

For super duper bossy cats that will hiss back, grab them by the back of the neck and suspend them at your face level. Once is usually enough to estabilish who's boss. A lot of cat (and dog) behavioural problems arise from owners not standing up to them. Obviously this is much more of a problem with big or aggressive dogs that owners are genuinely afraid of, but I've seen owners afraid of their own cats.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Nails done, he was a good boy all the time.
iax6B0g.jpg
Without the fur he shows his pudgy gut. He's gonna win a lot of staring contests too.
How active is he? I know Sphynx are very active because they have a high metabolism. They eat a lot and their claws grow faster too. Because of the lack of fur, they have a high metabolism to help them stay warm.

Last edited:

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, it sounds silly, but hiss to your cats when they do things you don't want to. They need to see you as the alpha, for your good and the good of the other cats. A cat that wants to be the alpha is nothing but trouble.

For super duper bossy cats that will hiss back, grab them by the back of the neck and suspend them at your face level. Once is usually enough to estabilish who's boss. A lot of cat (and dog) behavioural problems arise from owners not standing up to them. Obviously this is much more of a problem with big or aggressive dogs that owners are genuinely afraid of, but I've seen owners afraid of their own cats.
tn6VguR.jpg

Nah he won't hiss back, Mandarin is a cutie and well tempered, he's just an Alpha, the vet said he was a "very strong single cat". He wants what he wants when he wants it. I can't have him stalking/pouncing on me, I really don't want to step on him or trip and fall.

I also want to eventually introduce another cat into the apartment- I'm afraid that since he has such a strong personality it won't go well.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
any recommendations on like a cat playpen or something? My cats go crazy when we are on the balcony, but they absolutely hate wearing their leashes.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
How do I get my cat to not treat everything like a scratch post? She's about 1 and has (my fault) basically learned to scratch anything facing upright. Its somewhat mitigated by the fact that I've added posts to almost every room but she still occasionally scratches my furniture and stuff.

Any advice is appreciated, I need to figure this out before I move to a new place...

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

You know, we've literally never heard Taika hiss or get too aggressive, either with Kiki or giant greyhound brother Jasper. Ergo, we haven't heard Kiki hiss either, perhaps because her cat bro hasn't either.

Is a cat that doesn't hiss/get aggressive rare?

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I just had to hiss at my cat a couple of times during our last play session. He lunged at my hand and scratched me and play pounced on me right after.

Bad kitty!!!

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
wHkLgEW.jpg

pshWgnr.jpg

WRvOEPF.jpg

We were thinking of adopting a third one. Our 5 year old is really playful , but the senior one isn't really having it. If we get another lockdown and/or a really long winter, that is.

Should we look for a male? They're both female (5 and 12 years), and there was some friction initially ,which has petered out.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Without the fur he shows his pudgy gut. He's gonna win a lot of staring contests too.
How active is he? I know Sphynx are very active because they have a high metabolism. They eat a lot and their claws grow faster too. Because of the lack of fur, they have a high metabolism to help them stay warm.
Haha yeah its not the most flattering pose! He's quite slim still! My mother always gives him extra treats when she visit because she thinks he is too slim.
He's pretty active and plays/fights a lot with his brother. I'm not sure about the metabolism though if it's more like a normal cat or sphynx. They are both very warm to the touch though, but I guess that is just due to the short fur. Still it is something people always mention and are surprised by the first time they meet my cats.

Here is a non pudgy pose!
2bGiE4b.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You know, we've literally never heard Taika hiss or get too aggressive, either with Kiki or giant greyhound brother Jasper. Ergo, we haven't heard Kiki hiss either, perhaps because her cat bro hasn't either.

Is a cat that doesn't hiss/get aggressive rare?

Cats normally hiss when newcomer cats / dogs are introduced. Even the sweetest cats I know will usually hiss when the new pet comes too close, to assert "this is our turf, you're trespassing". Depending on how accepting the home cat is, and especially if the new cat is a kitten, they'll take more or less to accept the new cat once it becomes obvious the won't / can't leave; it can take anything from days, to weeks, to months, to, well... never. :D

That said, Taika was introduced to Jasper as the outsider, so it's normal for Taika not to hiss, as he accepts he himself is the trespasser and should be submissive (although this doesn't always happen and some particularly alpha / aggressive cats will try to set themselves as the new alpha). And Kiki was introduced to Taika as a kitten IIRC, which are usually accepted right away. Still, Taika does seem very sweet and accepting; you have a really adorable family. :)

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
He's pretty active and plays/fights a lot with his brother. I'm not sure about the metabolism though if it's more like a normal cat or sphynx. They are both very warm to the touch though, but I guess that is just due to the short fur. Still it is something people always mention and are surprised by the first time they meet my cats.
That's a common comment about Sphynx too. They are very warm to the touch. It's like having a velvet hot water bottle. Since they like to cuddle a lot you always have a lap and hand warmer.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
My cat still has fleas!!!

I have no idea what to do now. My whole apartment must be so totally infested and I just had back surgery so I can't clean it myself. It's all a medium-high pile carpet. WTF!!!!

In the end I'm going to have to rip out all the carpeting and replace it with linoleum but for now I'm at a total loss. I can't do the kind of cleaning that's needed, even if I bomb the place. I can barely even bend over, I certainly can't run a vacuum, clean all the upholstery, get in the closets, all my clothes, everything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I love the cat, but holy shit what a huge mess. I'm going to blast the shelter on Google and Yelp. Fuck them for adopting out a cat infested with fleas and the herpes virus.