OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So cute! The 2nd pic reminds me of a small cougar :3

Even though his official name is "Ratón", we always call him "Baby", indeed short for "baby cougar". :)

I posted the pics in reverse chronological order (we tucked him in, he stayed like that for a while, and then got up), but I thought they would look cuter like that, as if he tucked himself in. :)

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My heart melts when she's like that.

1610762227647-1.jpg

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Installed a cat door in our new home's "utility room" door over the weekend, behind which will reside Jensen's litter box. Anxiously anticipating to see how quickly he gets the hang of it.

RRj7RYb.jpg

Oh and here's some proper cat tax. He's fascinated with the storage closet in our apartment, but I don't like him to be in there because I don't want him to get trapped or to hurt himself, but in the moving process there's a lot of extra space in there for him to explore finally.

q8SI2Pe.jpg

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Well that thread (you know the one) did a great job making me depressed. May I ask anyone here for recommendations on a good cat harness?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of cat carrier do you guys recommend? This will be largely for trips to-and-from the vet.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Two-Door-Load-Kennel/dp/B0062JFGM0

Depends on how big your cat is and how well he does in a carrier.

I have a medium sized kitty so I bought him one of these at Petco. I don't buy front loading carriers anymore, they are too hard to get some cats in- I make sure there's a way to get them in from the top as well.
I am leaning towards the top-loaders as well, but tend to leans towards the ones that are made of cloth with mesh siding. I want one that has a removable, washable lining, so that if my cat gets nervous and pees inside I can have an easy cleanup.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I am leaning towards the top-loaders as well, but tend to leans towards the ones that are made of cloth with mesh siding. I want one that has a removable, washable lining, so that if my cat gets nervous and pees inside I can have an easy cleanup.
The top snaps on and off with a few clips.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What kind of cat carrier do you guys recommend? This will be largely for trips to-and-from the vet.

Depends on how much your cat fights against it. Some cats can hurt themselves against bars of plastic, especially their paw pads, so cloth may be better; but other cats can actually rip through cloth carriers' door mesh. Also obviously cloth is more confortable and less cold, so if you get a plastic one, make sure to put a blanket inside.

https://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Two-Door-Load-Kennel/dp/B0062JFGM0

Depends on how big your cat is and how well he does in a carrier.

I have a medium sized kitty so I bought him one of these at Petco. I don't buy front loading carriers anymore, they are too hard to get some cats in- I make sure there's a way to get them in from the top as well.

You can use any carrier as a top loader by placing it vertically; that's how we put cats on carriers all the time. Place it vertically, lower the cat into it, close it, then slowly rotate 90º.

Jan 29, 2018
Any tips for cutting down on vomiting? I think this guy's just got a sensitive stomach. He used to go vomit after meals when we got maybe 3/4 of the way through a bag of Purina, until we'd rotate his protein. Like if he'd been eating to Purina salmon we'd get Purina chicken, then 3/4 of a bag later Purina turkey, then Purina salmon again. A few seven or eight months ago the vet gave him some prescription food (hydralized protein) and a short course of steroids, and he was virtually vomit free since then. Now he's on a 3 or 4 day streak of throwing up first thing in the morning.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
So we splurged and bought the Lotus Tower cat tree, and I'm pretty happy with it. It took me an hour or two to put together, but was actually pretty simple and straightforward.
I'm actually really happy with it. It's pricey, but I wanted something that wasn't an eyesore, since it's in our living room. The goal was something that wasn't covered in carpet and could fit in with our other room, and I think it's succeeded at both.

IMG-5141.jpg

IMG-5140.jpg

IMG-5246.jpg

He seems to like it! Although he still loves to hang out in any box he can find.

IMG-4859.jpg

We also have two new kittens, a boy and a girl that we just got a month ago. So now we have three cats.
They're still separated and getting used to each others scents etc. They've seen each other through a gate we have, but that's it.
I will probably introduce them in another two weeks or so. The kittens are still pretty small, I think they're maybe just 3 months old.
I'll post a few pictures later, they're lots of fun.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Prior to Jensen's adoption I did a ton of research on what food is quality but isn't terribly expensive and we landed on "Nulo." We've been feeding him both their dry and wet varieties since his adoption, and for dry food we've never broken away from the "Indoor Cat - Turkey & Chicken" recipe (outside of a brief stint where my wife was given a free bag of Iams) as our vet warned against mixing proteins and the "Indoor Cat" variety is apparently less caloric for indoor kitties that would generally be less active than those that are outdoors from time to time.

81IT02-medalseries-indoor-cat-turkey-chicken_27653d24-ff49-416f-9830-a52fbc70b9c6_512x512.png

Well, we're running low and it's time to buy another bag. I thought I'd give him something new to try, so we stopped by a local pet store instead of our usual Petsmart run to check their inventory and pricing, as Nulo has two lines, the "Medal Series" which is Petsmart exclusive, and "Freestyle", which is sold by a bunch of different online and local retailers.

We settled on the "Adult Trim - Salmon & Lentils" flavor, as we know our boy likes salmon, and while he's not a proper chonk, our vet always says he could lose a bit of weight, so I figure it certainly couldn't hurt.

61TS05-freestyle-trim-salmon-lentils_ae24ce24-5407-42d6-98e6-fc50c6750c42_512x512.png

When I pulled the bag from the shelf, I noticed it was a bit dusty, so I decided to check the expiration date. Annoying it read 30 NOV 2020. The clerk offered us either a discount or to call another location to hold us a bag, and I ain't about to feed my boy expired food, so we opted for the hold offer.

We did a quick Trader Joe's shopping run (which was next to the original pet store in question) and then headed over to the other pet store. We saw a few kitties up for adoption (and a few that were marked as adopted, which was nice to see) including one poor boy that had chronic ear infections and would constantly be tilting his head, and then headed over to the register to pick up the food.

Annoyingly, this one was expired too. it was actually 30 DEC 2020 if I remember correctly. I went over to the shelf and grabbed another bag of the same food and it too was expired, but it was actually all the way back in JUN 2020. I was half-tempted to just leave the store out of frustration (and concern for inventory practices) at that point, but we were there, we needed the food, and it was actually a few dollars less than the Petsmart equivalent or even what Chewy was selling it for.

In the end we ended up with a "Duck & Lentils" recipe. It's an indoor variety, which is okay, but I would have preferred the salmon, "Adult Trim" option. Oh well, maybe next time.

61ID05-freestyle-duck-lentils-cat_80f6b91c-dee3-41c1-af42-7d9a69950885_512x512.png

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Depends on how much your cat fights against it. Some cats can hurt themselves against bars of plastic, especially their paw pads, so cloth may be better; but other cats can actually rip through cloth carriers' door mesh. Also obviously cloth is more confortable and less cold, so if you get a plastic one, make sure to put a blanket inside.

You can use any carrier as a top loader by placing it vertically; that's how we put cats on carriers all the time. Place it vertically, lower the cat into it, close it, then slowly rotate 90º.
That doesn't work for my cats, they would fight me trying to get into the little entrance way as opposed to the larger one on the top loaders.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That doesn't work for my cats, they would fight me trying to get into the little entrance way as opposed to the larger one on the top loaders.

They way you do it is by grabbing them by the scruff (with the other hand supporting their back / butt). Adults aren't as paralyzed by it as kittens, but it's usually enough to lower them into it in one swift motion. I've done it with entirely feral cats that wanted nothing more than to scratch my eyes out.

It's always funny to see the shocked, agape expression of adopters coming into our house expecting blood and tears trying to get their cats into carriers, and then we do it in three seconds. That very scenario happened as recently as yesterday, in fact. :)

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
tie food to a string and lure them in and YOINK it once they are inside.

They way you do it is by grabbing them by the scruff (with the other hand supporting their back / butt). Adults aren't as paralyzed by it as kittens, but it's usually enough to lower them into it in one swift motion. I've done it with entirely feral cats that wanted nothing more than to scratch my eyes out.

It's always funny to see the shocked, agape expression of adopters coming into our house expecting blood and tears trying to get their cats into carriers, and then we do it in three seconds. That very scenario happened as recently as yesterday, in fact. :)

i have to get my cats their yearly shots in march. so i wonder how they'll behave this time. the first time they were fine. but now they are older.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Our youngest has an allergy or anal sac problems. 😔 She has licked the hair clean off the backs of her hind legs.

She goes to the vet Monday. The poor thing.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
How is there a two year long Cat Era thread with almost 4000 replies and when I try to make a Dog-related one, nobody cares? So confused lol

Cat people = introverts, love to stay indoors, nerdy hobbies, videogames, interacting with others through internet.
Dog people = extroverts, love the outdoors, physically active hobbies, sports, hiking, socializing in person.

No points for guessing which of these groups would be more likely to hang out in a videogame forum. :)

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Cat people = introverts, love to stay indoors, nerdy hobbies, videogames, interacting with others through internet.
Dog people = extroverts, love the outdoors, physically active hobbies, sports, hiking, socializing in person.

No points for guessing which of these groups would be more likely to hang out in a videogame forum. :)
I got an OP reply, nice!

I'm certainly a dog person though ascribe to points in both categories but I get what you mean.

One day I'll have people replying, one day!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I got an OP reply, nice!

I'm certainly a dog person though ascribe to points in both categories but I get what you mean.

I just added a link to your thread to the OP, hopefully that'll help some with visibility. :)

Also if you want a thread to take off, the easiest way is to try to reply to people in the thread, especially those asking questions. Although it's true I'm in a somewhat unique position where I (or my SO) can answer a lot of cat-related questions.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
We're 😺 posting on an online forum
I tought i taw a puddy cat...

I just added a link to your thread to the OP, hopefully that'll help some with visibility. :)

Also if you want a thread to take off, the easiest way is to try to reply to people in the thread, especially those asking questions. Although it's true I'm in a somewhat unique position where I (or my SO) can answer a lot of cat-related questions.
Thanks a bunch! :)

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how hard it is to adopt a cat/kitten right now, every single rescue is getting flooded with applications since people are stuck at home bored/lonely. I've never seen it this way, I keep applying for kittens and seeing that sometimes 50+ other people are as well.

I really think Rylie misses having a rough and tumble buddy since we lost Darien. He and Dusty are so bonded but Dusty hates rough and tumble and Ry tries to get him to play with him all the time. I guess I will have to wait until spring kitten season.

I just hope all these animals getting homes won't be dumped when life goes back to "normal".

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I decided against getting a new cat for now as when Corona is over I'm going to try to apply to the JET Program to see if I can get to Japan for a year, I realised it wasn't a good idea to get a cat and then leave because a) finding someone to take care of it would be hard, b) I wouldn't be able to give the cat up for adoption to someone else as I'd be far too attached and c) it wouldn't be fair on the cat.

I feel really lonely, but I just want to say thanks for all sharing your cat stories, it makes me miss having a cat myself but it keeps me happy seeing how happy all your cats are :D

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I got an OP reply, nice!

To be fair, there also was already a PetEra thread existing, and people posted a lot of their dogs in it already!

www.resetera.com

PetEra - Lets show off those pets.

1 year old? Holy shit, she'll be bigger than the couch! Absolutely beautiful, though. That tail is to die for, as are those gigantic paws

But I support a DogEra thread specifically as well, and even though I do not own a dog (yet?), I hope people will post in it, because I love cute dogs too!

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I need to get Mandarin a friend eventually too. Pretty sure he still has fleas tho.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's crazy how hard it is to adopt a cat/kitten right now, every single rescue is getting flooded with applications since people are stuck at home bored/lonely. I've never seen it this way, I keep applying for kittens and seeing that sometimes 50+ other people are as well.

I really think Rylie misses having a rough and tumble buddy since we lost Darien. He and Dusty are so bonded but Dusty hates rough and tumble and Ry tries to get him to play with him all the time. I guess I will have to wait until spring kitten season.

I just hope all these animals getting homes won't be dumped when life goes back to "normal".

We have been noticing this as well. My SO told me this week that we actually have more adoption request and foster homes than we have cats for adoption, which I don't remember happening ever in all these years. We assumed it was due to Filomena's historically unprecedented snow levels disrupting the whole country and locking people in their homes even further than COVID already did, making them socially lonely as you say. But if this is happening in other countries, I have no theory that explains that's happening over there too, unless you are also locked down due to snow?

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
We have been noticing this as well. My SO told me this week that we actually have more adoption request and foster homes than we have cats for adoption, which I don't remember happening ever in all these years. We assumed it was due to Filomena's historically unprecedented snow levels disrupting the whole country and locking people in their homes even further than COVID already did, making them socially lonely as you say. But if this is happening in other countries, I have no theory that explains that's happening over there too, unless you are also locked down due to snow?

I am in the US and we are in various levels of lock down due to Covid. Some states are totally 100% open and some are much more locked down. I have never not been able to walk into a shelter and see a ton of kittens that need homes. I know it is a little off season for kittens here but even adult cats are getting adopted fast. Dogs are also getting adopted really fast as well.

It is just frustrating to fill out pages long rescue applications only to be told over and over someone else got the kittens. I even called one rescue because the screen went blank after I filled out the application and I wanted to make sure it went though, the women I spoke with said it did and that I was first and would hear in a day or two about him. Two days later I see a picture of him with someone else saying he was adopted, I was never contacted.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA

I have had this same problem. All the shelters are swamped with requests and every time I want to see a cat, it's gone. This is compounded by traditional kill shelters not having enough staff to answer phones and then they complain that no one comes in by appointment. After the lockdowns in March, many animals got dumped as people had to go back to work. It was sad.

I've joked that it's probably easier to befriend the gray and white friendly feral cat that's been chasing mice into my apartment for six months. It chased my husband into the apartment last week so progress.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just put in an application for the wife & I at a local rescue organization. We've moving from our apartment to a house this weekend, and the limited space was really the only thing keeping us from adopting a second cat.

We really want to visit Scooter. Look at this goober! I want to squish his cheeks.

Not anticipating playing the new cat introduction game, and we'll have to rebuy some scratching implements, but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Last edited:

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I would just go on petfinder and shotgun applications. You can't really be choosy, especially with kittens, because I'm pretty sure the average one gets at least 10+ applications a day, barring medical issues or special care needs. Having a home with other young kittens should give you a leg up on other applicants.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I am in the US and we are in various levels of lock down due to Covid. Some states are totally 100% open and some are much more locked down. I have never not been able to walk into a shelter and see a ton of kittens that need homes. I know it is a little off season for kittens here but even adult cats are getting adopted fast. Dogs are also getting adopted really fast as well.

It is just frustrating to fill out pages long rescue applications only to be told over and over someone else got the kittens. I even called one rescue because the screen went blank after I filled out the application and I wanted to make sure it went though, the women I spoke with said it did and that I was first and would hear in a day or two about him. Two days later I see a picture of him with someone else saying he was adopted, I was never contacted.

Yeah, that must be frustrating. I asked my SO and apparently she does have cats for adoption right now, even younger ones (not kittens but several that are 4 months old, for example), but of course we're continents apart and this is the worst possible time to travel...

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Hey there, Cat-Era! Just jumping in to say hi, and looking for some advice as I have recently found myself the dad of a little tabby-kitten stray that crawled out from under my parents deck.

He's a wonderful boy and I love him, but he has developed a tendency to bite when he's in a playful mood. Even when he's all hyped up and energetic, he still uses soft-paw, but he nips and bites at hands and feet. Just wondering if there are any methods to curbing that behavior without making him averse to physical interaction.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there, Cat-Era! Just jumping in to say hi, and looking for some advice as I have recently found myself the dad of a little tabby-kitten stray that crawled out from under my parents deck.

He's a wonderful boy and I love him, but he has developed a tendency to bite when he's in a playful mood. Even when he's all hyped up and energetic, he still uses soft-paw, but he nips and bites at hands and feet. Just wondering if there are any methods to curbing that behavior without making him averse to physical interaction.
Never play with him with your hands. It instills him seeing you as a toy, which will be very painful once he's an adult

if it hurts, Yelp in a way that makes clear to him the same

kittens learn from their litter mates the boundaries of rough play. Yours may be undersocialized, so you will need to teach him how rough is too rough by expressing your pain and immediately stopping play if he crosses the threshold. Eventually he should innately start to understand how hard is acceptable to bite or scratch, and that humans are not toys or prey, but you also need to play with him a lot to faicilitate this, as many times kittens "attack" out of boredom and a desire to hunt or play with littermates

it's for these reasons that a single kitten is generally not advisable, for the kitten or the owner

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
efqxn1h.jpg

I had that problem. But I just pull away and let him be and don't entertain it.

Cat tax

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
First night in the new house with Jensen yesterday. After we moved all of our furniture over from the apartment (so things would smell familiar) I brought all his supplies over and set them up (litter box, food & water bowls, etc.) and had my wife show up fifteen minutes behind me.

There was some initial worried meows and skittishness, mostly at new sounds, but he seemed to settle in well after taking a few trips around the place for inspection, and as far as we can tell he slept through most of the night.

Of course this morning I turned on the heater for a bit and he got extremely concerned about the noise suddenly coming from the duct work above his head and tried to hide under the bathroom sink (which he couldn't fit under, so I opened the bathroom closet for him.)

Oh well, there was bound to be an acclimation period no matter what.

qYkjPm9.jpg

Last edited:

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Is it normal for neutered indoor cats to spray an area they're not familiar with? I've been letting my boy come into my room lately, and while he seemed to gave gotten used to it, today I noticed his rear was wet after I picked him up. I haven't noticed anything unusual about him or his litter, so I'm not sure if this warrants another visit to the vet's.

Last edited:

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Is it normal for neutered indoor cats to spray area they're not familiar with? I've been letting my boy come into my room lately, and while he seemed to gave gotten used to it, today I noticed his rear was wet after I picked him up. I haven't noticed anything unusual about him or his litter, so I'm not sure if this warrants another visit to the vet's.
You sure he's spraying? You can purchase a blacklight on Amazon for $10 and check.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
You sure he's spraying? You can purchase a blacklight on Amazon for $10 and check.

His rear was definitely wet, and there are no water sources in my room--although now that you ask, I'm not 100% certain. I probably will invest in a blacklight though, I didn't realize Amazon carried them that cheap. I'm likely going to schedule another vet visit, I'd just rather not stress him out and this will probably be the 5th visit within the last 6 months, for stuff that turned out to be (thankfully) nothing.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
His rear was definitely wet, and there are no water sources in my room--although now that you ask, I'm not 100% certain. I probably will invest in a blacklight though, I didn't realize Amazon carried them that cheap. I'm likely going to schedule another vet visit, I'd just rather not stress him out and this will probably be the 5th visit within the last 6 months, for stuff that turned out to be (thankfully) nothing.
When I adopted my stray back in Sep I thought he was spraying because of the strong odor of urine in my apartment. After investing in a blacklight I discovered he wasn't and it was just the cheap litter I was using.

Make sure your cat is fixed. Male cats rarely spray after they've been neutered.