P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019

What I also did was go to Home Depot and buy 3 6-7 foot shelf racks and use plastic twisty to combine them and for 30 bucks you have a cat proof gate. It was the most important tool for us and worked perfectly.

Thanks! I was browsing my local Petco and was not satisfied with the gate offerings, thinking I was going to have to do with a makeshift one--gonna pay a visit to Home Depot later this week!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I was browsing my local Petco and was not satisfied with the gate offerings, thinking I was going to have to do with a makeshift one--gonna pay a visit to Home Depot later this week!

This where I got the idea. Step by step.

pethelpful.com

How to Build a Free-Standing Cat, Dog, or Pet Gate Cheaply, Without Tools

Here's how to build a cheap, easy, free-standing or attached dog or cat gate of any height that requires few tools and materials and very basic carpentry skills.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Paging Dr. Weltall Zero (or anyone else that can answer): my new girl arrived Friday night, and I've completely forgotten how to feed kittens. She's approximately 16 weeks old, should I still keep her on kitten food, 3 times a day?

Kitten food sounds good at that age, yeah. As usual I recomend free feeding, but if not probably 3-5 times a day. Cats like to eat a little but very often.

Also, I need help introducing her to my first cat (3 year old male). She's currently in 20 day quarantine, to make sure her previously-diagnosed ringworm cleared completely; but just to see what I'm in for, I showed her to my first cat, from a distance, and he began to hiss and growl (never seen him do that, but it has been a while since he has been near other cats).

Any advice how to introduce the two when her quarantine is up?

Hissing and growling an unknown cat is perfectly normal, even the chillest of our cats do that. Obviously keep the quarantine (ringworm is the worst and super contagious, be careful not to get it yourself), and then you can use the typical techniques like blanket-swapping, or following that Jackson Galaxy video above. In theory it shouldn't be hard for an adult cat to adopt a 4-month old hopefully.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Kitten food sounds good at that age, yeah. As usual I recomend free feeding, but if not probably 3-5 times a day. Cats like to eat a little but very often.

Hissing and growling an unknown cat is perfectly normal, even the chillest of our cats do that. Obviously keep the quarantine (ringworm is the worst and super contagious, be careful not to get it yourself), and then you can use the typical techniques like blanket-swapping, or following that Jackson Galaxy video above. In theory it shouldn't be hard for an adult cat to adopt a 4-month old hopefully.

Awesome--thanks! I checked out Jackson Galaxy's vids, and there are some excellent stuff there--I'll definitely try the blanket swapping once she's been cleared. Thankfully, my vet (as well as her previous one) all seem to agree she's clear of ringworm, this quarantine is just erring on the side of caution, as I don't need two cats running around with it. Although if she does have it, it's probably too late for me as she's super affectionate and cuddly--fingers crossed here lol.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry to be a downer but, well, it guess it was eventually going to be my turn in this thread. Tigris (second pic in the OP, the dark gray tabby mom nursing babies) died about an hour ago. Her health had been failing for a long time due to a rough life on the street until we rescued her 8 years ago, but she kept bouncing back like a fighter through Potassium suplements and serum. This morning however she had a very rough time; we rushed her to the vet, they took blood samples, treated her with the above, and for a while it seemed like she would recover, but about five hours after coming home she started going downhill again and this time she didn't recover. Fortunately it was relatively peaceful and quick, at home, and both my SO and myself were here to confort her and each other.

She was so good, tame and well mannered from day one, our beautiful little princess. We'll miss her an outright unbearable amount.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Sorry to be a downer but, well, it guess it was eventually going to be my turn in this thread. Tigris (second pic in the OP, the dark gray tabby mom nursing babies) died about an hour ago. Her health had been failing for a long time due to a rough life on the street until we rescued her 8 years ago, but she kept bouncing back like a fighter through Potassium suplements and serum. This morning however she had a very rough time; we rushed her to the vet, they took blood samples, treated her with the above, and for a while it seemed like she would recover, but about five hours after coming home she started going downhill again and this time she didn't recover. Fortunately it was relatively peaceful and quick, at home, and both my SO and myself were here to confort her and each other.

She was so good, tame and well mannered from day one, our beautiful little princess. We'll miss her an outright unbearable amount.
Omg I'm so so sorry :(
You gave them a good life.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just realized a nasty side effect of closing down my Twitter account...almost all of Jensen's pictures are now gone from this thread. I'll have to do a mini dump on Imgur soon and upload a few more.

I'm still strugging with his fear of thunder and rainstorms. He keeps hiding under a recliner and I'm so afraid someone is gonna forget he's down there, pull the chair out, and he's gonna get mangled in the mechanics.

I blocked it off with a piece of cardboard and have been trying to be proactive about opening a closet (which contains one of his beds) for him to hide in, leaving the door open a crack so he can push his way out when he's ready. He slept in there for around four hours yesterday when a storm came through, so I had to bait him out from under the chair first with some canned food.

I might go through some cardboard boxes and try to put something together for him this upcoming weekend. He used to hide under the bed at our old apartment, but we have a higher bed frame now, and a smaller quilt, so all sides (except for the wall its up against) are open, and he likely feels like secure in there. I figure if I can make him a little boxed in area with a blanket he can head in there, and I can still put it under the bed so its out of sight otherwise.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA

I'm sorry to hear this. You gave her a great life and she went on her terms.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
We thought my cat had asthma because at least twice a week she'd have a coughing fit that sounded like wheezing but no furballs ever came out. Took her to the vet and they couldn't definitely tell us it was asthma but said it's a possibility while listing off a bunch of shit from Google (our vet sucks ass).

a few months ago, she had red/swollen eyes so we took her to another vet to get it checked out. She somehow got a low grade viral infection, so the vet gave her a shot and some steroids that cleared it right up, and I guess it also cleared up whatever was making her cough because she hasn't done it in months. It's amazing, just like that it's gone.

moral of the story, if you suspect your vet doesn't give a shit about your pet, find a new one. I'll probably start making the hour drive to this new vet since all the ones near me are awful

I'm so sorry to hear this :(

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thank you for the support, everyone.

moral of the story, if you suspect your vet doesn't give a shit about your pet, find a new one. I'll probably start making the hour drive to this new vet since all the ones near me are awful

This can't be said enough, or just if you suspect your vet has no clue what they're doing (the google part you mentioned was a real red flag, hah). There's a world of difference between a good and a bad vet, and that can often be a matter of literal life and death.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Nooooo :(

I'm so sorry dude. RIP Tigris.

She had a good life, rescued from the cold too, she, along with her babies, were lucky to have found a caring home with you and your SO. <3

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Nooooo :(

I'm so sorry dude. RIP Tigris.

She had a good life, rescued from the cold too, she, along with her babies, were lucky to have found a caring home with you and your SO. <3

Aww, you remember. Yeah, she almost certainly had a very sucky early life, but we gave her eight years and a half of absolute pampering and nearly cloying love showering, and it was always so obvious how grateful she was for all of that. <3

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Oh no :( I'm so sorry Weltall.

I'm sure she lived a good life thanks to your care and love.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Well, the little fella was taken to the vet and given a clean bill of health, started his first dose of shots, and is set to get neutered at the end of the month. At the worst he may have had worms, but he suffered no injures they could find from being in an engine bay of a moving car. After this, the kitten now officially named Loki was set free from his room and.....

Pg4hNOZ.jpg

He had no idea what to do for a while. He eventually came out though and started exploring his new home. The old-timer at home seems to have taken to him pretty quickly. Only hissing once or twice before he eventually started playing with him. Loki is learning fast too and realizing that the old-timer doesn't always want to play and a low long meow means playtime is over.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Jesus Weltall, I'm so sorry to hear--at least Tigris's life was spent with you, and she couldn't have been in better hands.

Well, the little fella was taken to the vet and given a clean bill of health, started his first dose of shots, and is set to get neutered at the end of the month. At the worst he may have had worms, but he suffered no injures they could find from being in an engine bay of a moving car. After this, the kitten now officially named Loki was set free from his room and.....

Pg4hNOZ.jpg

He had no idea what to do for a while. He eventually came out though and started exploring his new home. The old-timer at home seems to have taken to him pretty quickly. Only hissing once or twice before he eventually started playing with him. Loki is learning fast too and realizing that the old-timer doesn't always want to play and a low long meow means playtime is over.

That's great to hear! As someone who is trying to introduce two cats to each other (3yo, 16wo), may I ask how long it took before you finally brought them together?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Pg4hNOZ.jpg

That's great, and so quick too! :)

Jesus Weltall, I'm so sorry to hear--at least Tigris's life was spent with you, and she couldn't have been in better hands.

Thank you very much, and yeah, you're so right. :´)

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020

That's great to hear! As someone who is trying to introduce two cats to each other (3yo, 16wo), may I ask how long it took before you finally brought them together?
About a week and a half. They saw each other through a cat carrier when they first met. Then they could smell and hear each other for about a week or so until we finally managed to get the kitten to the vet. After that we just did a monitored visit time and now we just let both wander around when a few of those went well.

Something I'd recommend is a place for both to get away from the other. The old one can easily get to the sunroom that the kitten doesn't know how to get to. Plus the kitten has places only it can go. I think it's really helped keep the peace.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
About a week and a half. They saw each other through a cat carrier when they first met. Then they could smell and hear each other for about a week or so until we finally managed to get the kitten to the vet. After that we just did a monitored visit time and now we just let both wander around when a few of those went well.

Something I'd recommend is a place for both to get away from the other. The old one can easily get to the sunroom that the kitten doesn't know how to get to. Plus the kitten has places only it can go. I think it's really helped keep the peace.

Wow that is fast! I already tried to do the feeding behind door method, but my boy bolted as soon as he heard her mewing--I want to do the towel/toy exchange trick, but I'm hesitant since I'm waiting for her 20 day quarantine to clear her of all traces of ringworm; definitely going to look into making spaces only either of them can get to, in the meantime!

One other question I wanted to ask, if anyone feels like answering: she is currently holed up in my room--because she is super affectionate, she wants to sleep in my bed. Normally this isn't a problem, but I'm a light sleeper, and she likes to take occasional nips at my face--would it be wrong of me to put her in a holding pen (NOT a carrier) for the 8 hours I sleep?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

I'm so sorry to hear this, Weltall :( Like others have said, you definitely gave her a better life than she could've ever wished for. Thanks for giving her a loving home <3

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Hey looking for a bit of advice. So I brought a new kitten home yesterday morning.

Settling in really well, been eating and drinking. She's used the litter box for peeing quite a few times (no accidents so far 🤞🏻) but she hasn't pooped once. Should I be concerned? I've been keeping her in the living room so far with her water dish and food on one side (separate) and her litter box on the other side of the room.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey looking for a bit of advice. So I brought a new kitten home yesterday morning.

Settling in really well, been eating and drinking. She's used the litter box for peeing quite a few times (no accidents so far 🤞🏻) but she hasn't pooped once. Should I be concerned? I've been keeping her in the living room so far with her water dish and food on one side (separate) and her litter box on the other side of the room.

What age? Did the previous owner mention anything about constipation, etc.? Over a day with no poop may be a bit worrying, yes. Does she seem to "try" and not be able to?

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
What age? Did the previous owner mention anything about constipation, etc.? Over a day with no poop may be a bit worrying, yes. Does she seem to "try" and not be able to?

She's 10 weeks. Nope, she used the litter box no problem in the place she came from. I've not even noticed her trying to go (other than peeing a bunch). I'm using the litter the person gave me though I'm not actually sure if it's the same one she was using previously (it's a non clump wood chip one). Waiting on her getting back to me on that. She doesn't seem in any discomfort (though I know it can be hard to tell). Could it just be it being a new place snd getting used to it?

Edit for pics

mwqvUHP.jpg
jCN6DzM.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
She's 10 weeks. Nope, she used the litter box no problem in the place she came from. I've not even noticed her trying to go (other than peeing a bunch). I'm using the litter the person gave me though I'm not actually sure if it's the same one she was using previously (it's a non clump wood chip one). Waiting on her getting back to me on that. She doesn't seem in any discomfort (though I know it can be hard to tell). Could it just be it being a new place snd getting used to it?

Edit for pics

mwqvUHP.jpg
jCN6DzM.jpg

You mentioned the litter, how about thee food? Is it the same they were giving her?

You might want to try stimulating her like a newborn kitten: dip a rag or paper towel in warm water (the temperature you'd use to e.g. shower), and rub her anus in a gentle circular motion; sometimes that helps them.

My SO is out of the house right now (kitty sitting, what else :D) but I'll ask her if she has anything to add when she comes back.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
You mentioned the litter, how about thee food? Is it the same they were giving her?

You might want to try stimulating her like a newborn kitten: dip a rag or paper towel in warm water (the temperature you'd use to e.g. shower), and rub her anus in a gentle circular motion; sometimes that helps them.

My SO is out of the house right now (kitty sitting, what else :D) but I'll ask her if she has anything to add when she comes back.

It's the same food (they gave me a wee parcel with her like food, litter, cat case etc) and I specifically asked about food cause was worried about diarrhea cause I have carpets lol. It's a complete dry kitten food and wet stuff as well. She's been eating (tho little bits at a time) no problem at all.

I'll give that a try thanks for the tip, appreciate it!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's the same food (they gave me a wee parcel with her like food, litter, cat case etc) and I specifically asked about food cause was worried about diarrhea cause I have carpets lol. It's a complete dry kitten food and wet stuff as well. She's been eating (tho little bits at a time) no problem at all.

I'll give that a try thanks for the tip, appreciate it!

Just asked my SO and she says it's normal, especially if due to the change she may be scared and eat less; is that the case? She says not to worry until the second day, and that she'll most likely poop either today or tomorrow morning.

She also mentioned, when stimulating her as I mentioned above, to go at it for a while (say, 5-10 mins), and to rub her belly as well; but always gently, without applying pressure.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Just asked my SO and she says it's normal, especially if due to the change she may be scared and eat less; is that the case? She says not to worry until the second day, and that she'll most likely poop either today or tomorrow morning.

She also mentioned, when stimulating her as I mentioned above, to go at it for a while (say, 5-10 mins), and to rub her belly as well; but always gently, without applying pressure.

Yeah, she's only been eating small bits at a time so that could be it. I'll try what you guys suggest and keep and eye on it tonight. Thanks for the help!

Oct 26, 2017

So sorry. Reading this had me welling up. Glad you were all together in the end to comfort one another. Sounds like she had a great life with you two.

Oct 26, 2017
Just got a kitten in rough shape with a puncture wound. Maggots all over on leg. Trying to find a place open to bring her. Kitten has some energy and meows, but is definitely weak and upper resp infection. Gonna get to eat and give antibiotics, but no idea if any temp help for maggot wound.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Just got a kitten in rough shape with a puncture wound. Maggots all over on leg. Trying to find a place open to bring her. Kitten has some energy and meows, but is definitely weak and upper resp infection. Gonna get to eat and give antibiotics, but no idea if any temp help for maggot wound.

Oh man. OK, maggots apparently feed on dead tissue at first, but if there's no dead tissue they release an enzyme that dissolves healthy skin and lets them burrow, so removing them is ideal. According to both my SO and a cursory google search, you should remove the maggots one by one (e.g. with tweezers); there seems to be nothing that kills them without potentially hurting the cat, and even vets remove them by hand. Remember not to squeeze the maggots so as to avoid them releasing any fluids on the wound. Then clean the wound thoroughly with water and soap, apply a disinfectant (e.g. Betadine / Povidone) to the wound, then dress it (ideally in a way that the cat can't lick the disinfectant).

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man. OK, maggots apparently feed on dead tissue at first, but if there's no dead tissue they release an enzyme that dissolves healthy skin and lets them burrow, so removing them is ideal. According to both my SO and a cursory google search, you should remove the maggots one by one (e.g. with tweezers); there seems to be nothing that kills them without potentially hurting the cat, and even vets remove them by hand. Remember not to squeeze the maggots so as to avoid them releasing any fluids on the wound. Then clean the wound thoroughly with water and soap, apply a disinfectant (e.g. Betadine / Povidone) to the wound, then dress it (ideally in a way that the cat can't lick the disinfectant).
Thank you. I just found another wound while cleaning first. A bit bigger, but way, way more maggots. This kitten is so sweet....Gonna get them comfy in carrier and head an hour north to closest ER we have and hope they can patch up.

20210717-174511.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks on the kiiten's behalf for the effort in helping them. <3 Keep us posted
Welp, the worst happened and I'm not happy. I relinquished the kitten as a stray since they have a $200 fund for each stray brought in, and the rescue we help with works with this ER clinic, so after any work it would go to said rescue and we could take kitten back to foster if needed. End of day, I just wanted what was best for kitten. Welp, my wife got news this morning they euthanized overnight. Not because of the wounds---they said the puncture wounds weren't bad---but because there were a lot of maggots. My wife said the ER is full of students/interns over weekend, and they are busy, and the unfortunate truth might simply be that they took a quick look and decided they didn't want to deal with the work needed and euthanized since a stray. When my wife got upset at them---she works there---they then tried telling her the kitten didn't have a good quality of life...even though it was eating with me, went to bathroom normal in front of me, was purring, walking, making biscuits.....We've rescued kittens that couldn't walk, couldn't eat, and they live full great lives. They just gave up on this one as far as I am concerned. I even asked them if I could donate money into the fund to help cover whatever extra the kitten needed when I brought in. They said they would get back to me. Never did.

Just wanted to vent here. Blah. Gotta move on and focus on the two kittens we have now.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Jensen's been meowing at me a lot lately, making me think something's wrong.

But it's usually around his food dish so he's probably just a fat bastard.

Anywho, gonna try to brush his teeth again for the first time in a while this week. Been giving him the healthy mouth add-in since his last dental cleaning, but I always worry it's not enough. Gonna feel like a real shitty pet owner if he ever needs a tooth pulled.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
Welp, the worst happened and I'm not happy. I relinquished the kitten as a stray since they have a $200 fund for each stray brought in, and the rescue we help with works with this ER clinic, so after any work it would go to said rescue and we could take kitten back to foster if needed. End of day, I just wanted what was best for kitten. Welp, my wife got news this morning they euthanized overnight. Not because of the wounds---they said the puncture wounds weren't bad---but because there were a lot of maggots. My wife said the ER is full of students/interns over weekend, and they are busy, and the unfortunate truth might simply be that they took a quick look and decided they didn't want to deal with the work needed and euthanized since a stray. When my wife got upset at them---she works there---they then tried telling her the kitten didn't have a good quality of life...even though it was eating with me, went to bathroom normal in front of me, was purring, walking, making biscuits.....We've rescued kittens that couldn't walk, couldn't eat, and they live full great lives. They just gave up on this one as far as I am concerned. I even asked them if I could donate money into the fund to help cover whatever extra the kitten needed when I brought in. They said they would get back to me. Never did.

Just wanted to vent here. Blah. Gotta move on and focus on the two kittens we have now.
Oh I'm sorry to hear this. I figured it'd go this way once you relinquished the cat as a stray. We have a similar program here as well but they warn us that it is only for strays and not cats you actually want because they can get euthanized (although they rarely do this). I assume the interns just didn't want to pick all the maggots out. It's time consuming and gross.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any good solutions for cats scratching the carpet on the front of stairs? One of my cats really likes to do it despite me putting a scratch pad by the stairs. I started putting double sided tape on the stairs but he's literally escalating things by moving up to the next step that doesn't have tape on it.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any good solutions for cats scratching the carpet on the front of stairs? One of my cats really likes to do it despite me putting a scratch pad by the stairs. I started putting double sided tape on the stairs but he's literally escalating things by moving up to the next step that doesn't have tape on it.
Different type of carpet? We moved house not long ago, old house we had nice soft medium pile carpet and the cats left it alone. New house has harder short pile carpet and the cats love scratching at it.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

First of all you'd need to know why they're scratching that. Assuming they're just sharpening their claws, as usual the best solution is to redirect; don't just tell them "no", give them something as a "yes" (e.g. a scratching post, perhaps located right there). Gently take their paws and gently squeeze them to pop out their claws, then do a scratching motion on the post.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
ok so my little cayde is wonderful. However if I go to another room and shut the door "bathroom/shower ect" he will cry almost non stop. And then when i open the door afterwords he will meow like crazy and want to be super affectionate. Is this seperation anxiety? When the doors are open he will go elseware in the house and such but tends to mostly stick around me. hes like 12 weeks old if that has anything to do with it.

i have to leave him alone when i go to work as i can only have one cat at the moment but i try and check up on him at lunch so after 4 hours or so I come home for like 20-30 mins.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone in the UK, just worth being aware that there's an issue at the moment with Felix products. Purina are denying everything, but there's a Facebook group of 6.8k people about it, many of whom have had bad experiences recently with cats being made very ill by Felix food. Either to do with the recent change in recipe or batches imported from Russia.

Our cat was completely healthy, but after a couple of days on Felix was vomiting terribly. Took anti-nausea shots to stop him, and after changing food he's right back to normal.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
ok so my little cayde is wonderful. However if I go to another room and shut the door "bathroom/shower ect" he will cry almost non stop. And then when i open the door afterwords he will meow like crazy and want to be super affectionate. Is this seperation anxiety? When the doors are open he will go elseware in the house and such but tends to mostly stick around me. hes like 12 weeks old if that has anything to do with it.

i have to leave him alone when i go to work as i can only have one cat at the moment but i try and check up on him at lunch so after 4 hours or so I come home for like 20-30 mins.

Oh my god, he's so cute! <3

Yeah, that's a non-ideal situation, and it does sound like a clear case of separation anxiety. I hate being a broken record but there's no easy, magic solution here; he really needs a sibling. A cat just can't be alone for hours on end without either human or feline (or canine) company.

Sorry to sound prying and I don't mean to be dismissive, but what exactly is the reason you can't have another one? We may be able to find some way to bend or break the rules for him.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, he's so cute! <3

Yeah, that's a non-ideal situation, and it does sound like a clear case of separation anxiety. I hate being a broken record but there's no easy, magic solution here; he really needs a sibling. A cat just can't be alone for hours on end without either human or feline (or canine) company.

Sorry to sound prying and I don't mean to be dismissive, but what exactly is the reason you can't have another one? We may be able to find some way to bend or break the rules for him.

It's not an option. I had to get an esa letter to even get this one. I spend as much time with him as I can. Will he grow out of this phase?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's not an option. I had to get an esa letter to even get this one. I spend as much time with him as I can. Will he grow out of this phase?

The problem is that it's not so much a "phase" as him demonstrating a fundamental need; cats are highly social creatures by nature. It's like asking if a cat will "grow out" of being upset when sprayed with water daily; the point is that you should not put a cat in that situation. They may "grow out" of demonstrating it outwardly, but it's not healthy at all for their mental state.

Doing a bit of research, you can ask for a second ESA letter for the other cat; your original cat needing company while you're at work seems like a reasonable motive to ask for it. I think a landlord would be rather petty to object to two cats given a good reason, if they're willing (or forced to) to allow a cat in the first place, but you know... landlords. Perhaps negotiate with them, e.g. offer a deposit for any potential damages the cats could cause?

More elaborate alternatives would include either someone coming to your house to take care of your cat while you're at work, or you dropping him somewhere that can care for him. This is obviously very complicated both for you and the cat even without taking COVID into account.

Temporary bandaid solutions include anything that can distract him in the meantime: toys of all kinds, a cat tree set up by a window to watch the street, perhaps leaving the TV on if he pays any attention to it, etc. Also try scents that make cats more at ease, like valerian herb (spread a bit of the herb around the house) or Feliway. I would do all of the above and see if anything helps, but again these are at best stopgap solutions to a fundamental underlying issue.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that it's not so much a "phase" as him demonstrating a fundamental need; cats are highly social creatures by nature. It's like asking if a cat will "grow out" of being upset when sprayed with water daily; the point is that you should not put a cat in that situation. They may "grow out" of demonstrating it outwardly, but it's not healthy at all for their mental state.

Doing a bit of research, you can ask for a second ESA letter for the other cat; your original cat needing company while you're at work seems like a reasonable motive to ask for it. I think a landlord would be rather petty to object to two cats given a good reason, if they're willing (or forced to) to allow a cat in the first place, but you know... landlords. Perhaps negotiate with them, e.g. offer a deposit for any potential damages the cats could cause?

More elaborate alternatives would include either someone coming to your house to take care of your cat while you're at work, or you dropping him somewhere that can care for him. This is obviously very complicated both for you and the cat even without taking COVID into account.

Temporary bandaid solutions include anything that can distract him in the meantime: toys of all kinds, a cat tree set up by a window to watch the street, perhaps leaving the TV on if he pays any attention to it, etc. Also try scents that make cats more at ease, like valerian herb (spread a bit of the herb around the house) or Feliway. I would do all of the above and see if anything helps, but again these are at best stopgap solutions to a fundamental underlying issue.

I asked my therapist about this and she said you cant get an ESA for an ESA. It has to be for you alone. So keeping the other animal happy while im gone wouldn't be a cause for an emotional support animal.

I have a cat tree condo coming wed and im gonna get a bird feeder for outside the window. I have gotten him plenty of toys and distractions. I leave music on when I leave for work as well. I learned online that you shouldn't make a big deal out of leaving and I've been trying that. Lots leave their cats alone for the day and it seems fine so im hoping over time he will become accustomed to it. He's got plenty to do and I am buying toys all the time. I may see about a robot mouse or something that he can interact with throughout the day that is autonomous. Also thinking about a pet cube so I can check in on him and he can hear/see me ect.