• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Making a new thread to split off from the review one, because this probably warrants both its own discussion and also to be highlighted as a big issue.

So, for those new to the Catherine discourse, even more so than the original game, the Japanese version of Catherine Full Body was slammed by some of those who imported it as handling trans issues, gender identity, etc., incredibly poorly with some of its characters, to the point of not just being ignorant, but hateful. Atlus USA said that they'd make changes for the localisation, people were sceptical as what exactly they could change, the game is in the hands of reviewers and what do you know the changes are minimal and are unable to fix a rotten transphobic core, that's inherently part of the new narrative.

Writing is hard, so here's two articles that explain the situation! Spoiler warning for the entire game, but equally for me personally this is a deal breaker, so if you care (you should), you might want to read these anyway. Thanks to Syrenne for writing these!

About the Japanese release and about the English release.

TL;DR:
A deadname has been removed from the credits (there's still one in the story), and a minor conversation has been removed. Everything else is still included. Including a biological sex reveal, the character's pronouns changing after this reveal, and said character being an alien because god forbid the queer character is considered human. Oh also the other trans character randomly doesn't transition in one of the "good" endings that involves time travel.

To add on a quick addendum, there's gonna be someone reading this. Maybe they'll post, maybe they won't. But they'll be thinking "Is ___ REALLY trans? Are you sure they're not cis/a crossdresser/a story related thingy that sidesteps the issue entirely?", or some other form of denial that seemingly renders the conversation moot. To that, I say this. Even if you're right (which I don't think you are), there's too much trans imagery going on here, with Atlus's history with queer subject matter being historically terrible (Persona 3 beach scene, Persona 4 in general, Persona 5 beach scene, Original Catherine in general), to give Atlus the benefit of the doubt. Even if they're trying to sidestep the issue, if they truly cared, this is not how they should have written the story. This isn't a one off comedy scene that they didn't care about any more, this is the focus of the new character's narrative.

They knew what they were doing.

And they did it badly.

I won't be buying the game, partially because I don't want to support this bullshit, partially because I know this would *actually* ruin the game for me. I hope this thread is informative to those who need it. Trans rights!

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TL;DR:
A deadname has been removed from the credits (there's still one in the story), and a minor conversation has been removed. Everything else is still included. Including a biological sex reveal, the character's pronouns changing after this reveal, and said character being an alien because god forbid the queer character is considered human. Oh also the other trans character randomly doesn't transition in one of the "good" endings that involves time travel.
YIKES. this fucking game is an embarrassment for atlus.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean Atlus USA at least changed the credits (which they said they wanted to change), but they can't change a game route completely. I guess Atlus Japan wouldn't want them to do that (or well invest money). So I give Atlus USA credits for what they did at least and they tried.

OP
OP
Lozange

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Atlus USA at least changed the credits (which they said they wanted to change), but they can't change a game route completely. I guess Atlus Japan wouldn't want them to do that (or well invest money). So I give Atlus USA credits for what they did at least and they tried.
I don't REALLY blame Atlus USA for this, because really there's not much you can do to change what literally happens in the plot, but the conversation online surrounding full body has been "maybe it will be better in the English release". Well the English release is out. It's not really better. So we're back to the original problem of "oh my god, this game is most transphobic major release I've ever seen".

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The guy who directed this game (forgot his name) seriously needs some sensitivity training or at least... talk with some LGBT folks.

Ignorance in the age of the internet is no excuse.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't REALLY blame Atlus USA for this, because really there's not much you can do to change what literally happens in the plot, but the conversation online surrounding full body has been "maybe it will be better in the English release". Well the English release is out. It's not really better. So we're back to the original problem of "oh my god, this game is most transphobic major release I've ever seen".

I don't know how anyone could think that when Atlus USA never said as much except for fixing the credits. It's sad yes :-/

The guy who directed this game (forgot his name) seriously needs some sensitivity training or at least... talk with some LGBT folks.

Many people in Japan can't even tell you what LGBT means

singhr1

Oct 28, 2017

It's not just the director. It's the entire line higher level staff and writers who let this shit pass. This had been a conversation for every game since release and you're right, no excuses.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you would think atlus USA would have a communication channel with the japanese offices to tell them this stuff isn't ok.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It's such a shitshow. I didn't really expect the localisation to fix anything other than what they'd stated they would fix though, there was 0 chance of Atlus USA being able to make the kind of changes necessary to even remotely fix this mess.
you would think atlus USA would have a communication channel with the japanese offices to tell them this stuff isn't ok.
I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus USA has raised concerns around this or the homophobic content in Persona 5 for example. Doesn't mean the Japanese side has to listen.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Atlus Japan simply doesn't give a shit about anything Atlus USA has to say.

That was very obvious with how they handled Persona 5's marketing and post release share/streaming "guidelines".

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't know how anyone could think that when Atlus USA never said as much except for fixing the credits. It's sad yes :-/

Many people in Japan can't even tell you what LGBT means

I'm not sure what your point is? LGBT people still exist in Japan and they can talk with them. Just because they don't know the western terminology doesn't mean they don't know those people exist. Again there's no excuse

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what your point is? LGBT people still exist in Japan and they can talk with them. Just because they don't know the western terminology doesn't mean they don't know those people exist. Again there's no excuse

I am saying that the country is mostly ignorant about them so it won't change as quickly as people wish if at all. They don't give a shit. I mean Atlus Japan doesn't even listen to Atlus USA.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus USA has raised concerns around this or the homophobic content in Persona 5 for example. Doesn't mean the Japanese side has to listen.
Atlus Japan simply doesn't give a shit about anything Atlus USA has to say.

That was very obvious with how they handled Persona 5's marketing and post release share/streaming "guidelines".
that's unfortunate. specially since they're making most of their sales outside japan now. around 80% of persona 5's sales came from the west.

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
All those ignorant weebs failing to see how egregious Japan's stance is on LGBT issues always makes me laugh. Same goes for their respect towards women.
It's the middle ages over there as far as these topics go. Don't expect much.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

"They couldn't really change much so you can't really blame them" is pretty empty when they're helping to spread the hateful garbage out to a wider audience and profiting from it

They're complicit

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely think that Hashino is a great game director: Persona 3-5, Nocturne, DDS are all fantastic.

And it's hard with Japanese game credits to determine who is responsible for specific aspects of a game sometimes. I can't say for certain if the problematic and outright bigoted aspects come from him sometimes or all of the time. But there is a clear pattern with projects that he is the director of and at this point this shit is indefensible. Like, P4 is one of my favorite games and I love Kanji and Naoto as characters (while cringing at some aspects) but this is just garbage.

I am beyond thrilled that new creative leads will likely be handling Persona 6.

OP
OP
Lozange

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
All those ignorant weebs failing to see how egregious Japan's stance is on LGBT issues always makes me laugh. Same goes for their respect towards women.
It's the middle ages over there as far as these topics go. Don't expect much.
I'm sorry but we can't afford to take this stance. Partially because change only arrives when people express discontent with the current standing of society, partially because - I'm gonna say it again - This is the most transphobic major release I've ever seen.

Not to mention just last year we had the release of The Missing, which handled trans issues surprisingly well. And heck, the director's previous games didn't handle trans issues well, so evidently people can learn! Why isn't this true for Atlus. I'll tell you why. It's because they don't care to bother.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
and said character being an alien because god forbid the queer character is considered human

I don't think this particular point is a fair criticism when
one of the other 3 romantic options is also a succubus and the bartender is a demon. That is kind of the nature of the game

There are parts of what I read from your post that are really fucking dumb of Atlus JP, like
switching pronouns after the reveal
, but without having played the game yet there are other parts that read like the intention was good but horribly handled. I mean, you have to ask yourself
if the point was to shit on trans people, why would they re-release the game adding a romantic interest and having her be trans? As far as I read Vincent has genuine feelings for her if you choose Rin. How many games does that happen in? Is there no potential for best intentions with horrible out-of-touch execution?

Regardless, like I said in the other thread Catherine was my favorite game for so many reasons. I got several endings of the game in my playthroughs but missed the original Erica stuff. I am most likely going to keep my pre-order for this, even if I am wary of the things posters like OP have brought up.

I am beyond thrilled that new creative leads will likely be handling Persona 6.

Me too, man.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, I enjoyed Catherine a lot (even bought the US and EU collectors editions) but Erica's ending never sat right with me and story impressions from the Japanese version of Full Body were offputting. I was hoping that Sega's clout would allow Atlus US to put their foot down and make changes but it seems that hasn't happened, so I'm going to be passing on this one.

OP
OP
Lozange

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this particular point is a fair criticism when
one of the other 3 romantic options is also a succubus and the bartender is a demon. That is kind of the nature of the game

There are parts of what I read from your post that are really fucking dumb of Atlus JP, like
switching pronouns after the reveal
, but without having played the game yet there are other parts that read like the intention was good but horribly handled. I mean, you have to ask yourself
if the point was to shit on trans people, why would they re-release the game adding a romantic interest and having her be trans? As far as I read Vincent has genuine feelings for her if you choose Rin. How many games does that happen in? Is there no potential for best intentions with horrible out-of-touch execution?

Regardless, like I said in the other thread Catherine was my favorite game for so many reasons. I got several endings of the game in my playthroughs but missed the original Erica stuff. I am most likely going to keep my pre-order for this, even if I am wary of the things posters like OP have brought up.

It's all to do with how the narrative plays out.
From those articles, the narrative is not "Can Vincent treat Rin as the gender they are", it's more "Fellas. Is it gay to fall for a dude. who's also an alien. But uh, they present as a woman, so you the straight audience have something to work with."
The narrative does not see Rin as a woman, or even non binary or something, the narrative sees them as a dude despite all evidence to the contrary, and Vincent's struggles are related to him being into dudes... despite the fact that very few actual gay men would be into Rin.

If this was 1990, there'd be an argument for "maybe any representation is better than no representation", but in 2019 I can name multiple games that feature gender queer characters in major roles, that at the very least understand the basics of "trans women are women, and trans men are men".

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
From those articles, the narrative is not "Can Vincent treat Rin as the gender they are", it's more "Fellas. Is it gay to fall for a dude. who's also an alien. But uh, they present as a woman, so you the straight audience have something to work with."
The narrative does not see Rin as a woman, or even non binary or something, the narrative sees them as a dude despite all evidence to the contrary, and Vincent's struggles are related to him being into dudes... despite the fact that very few actual gay men would be into Rin.

Hit the nail on the head. Rin is presented the same way the asshats who think "are t**ps gay?" is the peak of internet humour.
It's like Hashino discovered 4chan and decided to remaster a game for them.

Oct 28, 2017
Hit the nail on the head. Rin is presented the same way the asshats who think "are t**ps gay?" is the peak of internet humour.
It's like Hashino discovered 4chan and decided to remaster a game for them.
except it's not, "Otokonoko" is very present in japanese media, regardless of what 4chan says about it
and it's not about trans people, it's literally crossdressing

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Did Hashino direct this?
Whenever something anti-LGBT comes outta Atlus it always seems to have something to do with Hashino.

Rikucrafter

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Easiest boycott of my fucking life. I've written to Sega and Atlus making sure they're quite aware of why I won't be buying the game even if my word alone doesn't do much.

I'm angry at the game but I'm particularly angry at the localisation team who had the opportunity to fix this away from the "but muh culture" ''''explanation'''' of the Japanese version and very seemingly chose not to.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This entire thing is sad, but what's ecen more sad is that the game will probably end up selling pretty well.
I think most of Japan isn't familiar with this kind of issue.
I really liked the og catherine, but wasn't aware about the Erika issues at the time...
Certainly won't pick this up.

OP
OP
Lozange

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
except it's not, "Otokonoko" is very present in japanese media, regardless of what 4chan says about it
and it's not about trans people, it's literally crossdressing
This train of thought is kind of what I was trying to address in the OP, but let me go into more detail.

Otokonoko culture is a real thing, it's valid, it's possible to be that and not trans. Fine. But here's the question: Is Rin, the character in Full Body, just an Otokonoko? I don't think they are.
There's a ton of trans imagery associated with them. And unlike a lot of drag queens in our culture, there's never a point where their outfit comes off. They're always presenting a woman.
If Atlus is like "yo, Rin presents as a woman, but uses he/him pronouns", I'm totally down for that as a non binary person myself, but even with that interpretation the narrative still has severe problems. There's still a lot of trans flag imagery. There is still a "reveal". There is no nuance about "Well Rin presents as a woman, so in regards to my sexuality, this means...". They're still an alien. There's a distinct lack of nuance here, and that's a problem.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure what people expected atlus USA to do about it. Localization can't really change how the entire plot plays out.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am saying that the country is mostly ignorant about them so it won't change as quickly as people wish if at all. They don't give a shit. I mean Atlus Japan doesn't even listen to Atlus USA.
Yeah, so what? Is posting that would solve the problem?

We're basically promoting and supporting their transphobic views by discussing the game here.

I want no part in it, and I wish this site would make it clear where do we stand in this issue.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, so what? Is posting that would solve the problem?

We're basically promoting and supporting their transphobic views by discussing the game here.

I want no part in it.

How about we don't let Atlus get away with it and do discuss it? I guess you could argue it is a promotion but the other option is to sweep it under the rug which doesn't help. On top of that context is king. There's such as thing as bad publicity.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about we don't let Atlus get away with it and do discuss it? I guess you could argue it is a promotion but the other option is to sweep it under the rug which doesn't help. On top of that context is king. There's such as thing as bad publicity.
Are we even allowed to raise the issue in the upcoming OT?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Holding my breath to see how badly they fuck up P5R

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
why the fuck did they include a trans character, especially so prominantly, just to handle the whole thing so badly.

Because they still try these stories even if they lack the understanding.

There's plenty of queer works made in Japan, but not a lot of actual LGBT works. It's more depicted as a fetish or character trait depending on the story.

Atlus can and should do better, but there's only so much you can do from the outside, it has to happen from the inside. And that will take time. Just like it took time in the west and we're not even close yet ourselves. Everyday we learn more as our collective understanding develops.

Don't support this game, support games that do good.

I think this thread is a fair warning for all.

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Easiest boycott of my fucking life. I've written to Sega and Atlus making sure they're quite aware of why I won't be buying the game even if my word alone doesn't do much.

I'm angry at the game but I'm particularly angry at the localisation team who had the opportunity to fix this away from the "but muh culture" ''''explanation'''' of the Japanese version and very seemingly chose not to.
atlus usa can't just change whatever they want to, they're still under the thumb of atlus jp and any changes still have to go through them, as always the jp branch is the problem

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
As with P5R, he didn't direct this update.
However, this game was done by his new studio, Studio Zero, whereas he is not part of P-Studio anymore. Both fully owned by Atlus and obv P5 Vanilla is still a game he directed, but he's a little further from P5R than this.

Oct 27, 2017
All they had to do was fix Erica's issues in the original game and they would have been golden.

But no, they decided to add a character that's worse. Like ok, I get they wanted to add a new character but did they have to include a new trans character when they clearly can't write LGBT characters properly?

Atlus needs an overhaul it seems.

It is crazy how they are still this bad at it. Yakuza games had transphobic content in them but they grew up and now they create some really good progresive content.