• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
dwaynemcduffie.jpg

He is referring to and Night Thrasher and Rocket Racer. 4 years later he would launch Milestone comics.
latest

ETuK63bUwAAzsuO.jpg

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
DC also had a thing with black dudes always having lightning powers, though that is over a longer time frame.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never seen Night Thrasher before and I gotta admit its a cool costume.

I have heard of Rocket Racer before.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
McDuffie was the half-brother of Keegan-Michael Key. McDuffie clearly never learned this, and Key only learned this after McDuffie had died.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Grounded, pun not intended, in the racist myth black people can't swim

I can't tell if what you're saying is reaching, but I never did figure out the lightning thing, and standard racism being the cause wouldn't be surprising. Didn't notice the skateboarding thing either.

Not implying you're wrong, I really don't know.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if what you're saying is reaching, but I never did figure out the lightning thing, and standard racism being the cause wouldn't be surprising. Didn't notice the skateboarding thing either.

Not implying you're wrong, I really don't know.
The first black superheroes were created in a time when Falcon's origin involved him being a pimp and his writers called him "FalCOON" behind closed doors. And when Hal jordan called his side kick "Pieface" because he couldn't be bothered to remember his name and he happened to be an eskimo.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
The first black superheroes were created in a time when Falcon's origin involved him being a pimp and his writers called him "FalCOON" behind closed doors. And when Hal jordan called his side kick "Pieface" because he couldn't be bothered to remember his name and he happened to be an eskimo.

Oh yeah, no doubt there.

I figured SOME kind of stereotyping drove the lightning thing, just couldn't figure out what it is.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
He didn't. He came on board the franchise with Alien Force as writer and editor, though.

My favorite Ben 10 series honestly. Both Alien Force and Ultimate Alien. The dynamic between Ben, Kevin, and Gwen was fantastic. Of course when he eventually left the series regressed Ben's development back to the kid days.

Can't forget all of his excellent work on the Justice League shows as well.

I think he'd be getting a ton of work and we'd be getting a ton of great black superhero shows right now if he were still alive. Still hurts.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a little weird. Static shock also rode skateboards and had a smart white friend. Wonder if that's something he felt he had to do.

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
3 years later and the laugh it got from the audience when I brought this up during my presentation on McDuffie in my Public Speaking class is still my favorite moment

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for as much as I love X-Men Evolution the creative team falling into this with Spyke... yeesh

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yeah for as much as I love X-Men Evolution the creative team falling into this with Spyke... yeesh

Spyke was the worst and was everything wrong with the 'cool' 2000's character.

At least he got better once became a Morlock but then he barely appeared.

Also the show did Storm dirty as well.
My favorite Ben 10 series honestly. Both Alien Force and Ultimate Alien. The dynamic between Ben, Kevin, and Gwen was fantastic. Of course when he eventually left the series regressed Ben's development back to the kid days.

Can't forget all of his excellent work on the Justice League shows as well.

I think he'd be getting a ton of work and we'd be getting a ton of great black superhero shows right now if he were still alive. Still hurts.

Yep, I personally really liked his work on Ben 10. Sucks everyone tried to undo his characterizations and plots after he died, which is kind of sus.

And of course he is the father of the Justice League and JLU which truly makes him the GOAT.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
McDuffie is my favorite. He wrote soooo many good stories. He was taken too soon. This letter is fire and outlines my problem with black characters in comics up until recently… when Marvel wanted more diversity, they didn't hire black creatives, they (white people) created Black Panther. Same with DC. These companies took a long time to learn the right lessons.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Now that I'm in company of comic book experts, is Daredevil's one time girlfriend Kirsten McDuffie named after him or is it a coincidence?

Mar 30, 2019
Wait what, I don't get it
Ground, as in relation to electric current, gives a path for electric potential to disperse safely. Also electricity and water having well-troped examples in media as opposing elemental forces, based on water conductivity (*There is more to explore here*).

I have now ruined the unintended pun.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ground, as in relation to electric current, gives a path for electric potential to disperse safely. Also electricity and water having well-troped examples in media as opposing elemental forces, based on water conductivity (*There is more to explore here*).

I have now ruined the unintended pun.
I got the pun, what I didn't understand was how the racist myth("black people can't swim!") led to black superheroes having lightning powers.

Oct 25, 2017
I posted on Toon Zone during the JL/OG Teen Titans era, Mr McDuffie ran his own site and board of course but he would post there too. It was a great time. He would never suffer fools, I wish I could read some of those old posts again. The man was a legend and if you haven't seen his work you owe it to yourself, go seek out something he's done. He practically ran the DCAU in its twilight years, and it was glorious.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
cannot believe dude's been gone over a decade now, shit

McDuffie was the half-brother of Keegan-Michael Key. McDuffie clearly never learned this, and Key only learned this after McDuffie had died.

wait for real? how did i not know this

McDuffie is my favorite. He wrote soooo many good stories. He was taken too soon. This letter is fire and outlines my problem with black characters in comics up until recently… when Marvel wanted more diversity, they didn't hire black creatives, they (white people) created Black Panther. Same with DC. These companies took a long time to learn the right lessons.

looking at fuckery like akira yoshida c b beluski still move up without accountability, it's hard to be optimistic here (though shit is definitely better than it was)

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that the stereotype revolves around electrical powers and not fire based powers then
I can count black characters i know of with fire based powers on one hand, and oddly enough all of them have first and ice powers. My favorite being Equinox The Thermal Dynamic Man, because it is fun to say
Equinox-Marvel-Comics-Spider-Man-new-a.jpg