andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Yeah but two in one year? That rarely even happens outside of Nintendo.

last year I got Days Gone and Death Stranding on launch period (I was outside of the country when Death Stranding came out), the year before that God of War and Spider Man day one both, etc. That plus a bunch of exclusives day one as well, like Persona 5, etc. This year, we have GoT and TLOU2, and I am planning on getting both day one this year. So it happens quite often to me.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
I always laugh when people say "Game Changer" but this service deserves the title.

You just buy a system and the pass for a full library with much better titles than Gold and PS Plus (both services are obsolete now).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the most impressive and significant innovations this gen. It will change gaming next gen.. All 1st party games day 1, large 3rd party support. I don't mind if they moneyhat 3rd parties to put thier games on the service day 1 for us, I can see them doing that. No blocking though for others.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Worse than a game leaving the library is a game being delisted due to licensing costs or whatever. You don't buy it on digital before then and don't own a physical copy - you're outta luck. Physical game preservation is important, and it won't be until it's too late - after the subtle (or not so subtle) campaigning to influence physical media to become a thing of the past - that people start to care about access over cost/convenience.
Totally agree, physical game preservation is important and acces is way more important to me than cost or convenience.

I mean you don't really own anything if you buy digital anyway
Thats one of the reasons why i dont buy digital lol

How many people buy two exclusive s at full price in one year?
I buy all my games day one, full price.
i guess on average, about 20-ish games a year

Yeah but two in one year? That rarely even happens outside of Nintendo.
buying only two games day one in a year? surely there are a whole lot of people who buy more than 2 games a year, day one

Reading the entire thread makes me think i am quite 'old-school' lol.
i like being there day one, in a physical store, picking up my physical copy

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buying a full priced game isn't considered a whale, but someone who buys several full priced games day one every year would be.

This is a huge stretch. Whales typically are understood as huge outliers who spend so much they subsidize average users. Paying full price for two games in a year is a far cry from that definition. That's closer to average consumption than anything else. You'd have to pay full price for two games a week for me to think of you as a "whale" in the console market.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
This is a huge stretch. Whales typically are understood as huge outliers who spend so much they subsidize average users. Paying full price for two games in a year is a far cry from that definition. That's closer to average consumption than anything else. You'd have to pay full price for two games a week for me to think of you as a "whale" in the console market.
For users on this site, maybe, but the average user doesn't. Even on this site, where we have threads dedicated to getting cheap games, plenty of people don't buy the games full price. I buy way more games than the average person, and I can't remember the last game I paid full price for (even on day one). My guess would be a Switch game, but even they go on sale more often now.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For users on this site, maybe, but the average user doesn't. Even on this site, where we have threads dedicated to getting cheap games, plenty of people don't buy the games full price. I buy way more games than the average person, and I can't remember the last game I paid full price for (even on day one). My guess would be a Switch game, but even they go on sale more often now.

The vast majority of sales occur in the first month for a game when they are most likely to be at their full price still. Two new games a year is a very typical purchase cadance for most console owners. All the actual statistics disagree with your assessment.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
The vast majority of sales occur in the first month for a game when they are most likely to be at their full price still. Two new games a year is a very typical purchase cadance for most console owners. All the actual statistics disagree with your assessment.
Do most console owners buy more than two day one games (at full price) from Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft? Because that was the contention, that Sony would be giving up too many sales by offering a service similar to Game Pass. My point is that most users would not be buying that many first party games every year.

Last I heard, the attach rate for PS4 at least was roughly 10 games per console. Considering that most sales are third party, that would support my assessment that most users in fact don't by more than two first party games every year.