wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't...fully understand this article, to be honest. Or I feel that a strong case for sticking with REDengine isn't really convincingly made, at least. I don't understand the implication that the engine used will dictate the game's visual identity.

Right? I don't think Geralt or whoever is suddenly going to start looking like a Gears character.

I know 360/PS3 gen had some samey looking games on UE but that hasn't rly been an issue on 4, no?

I'm not seeing the sky is falling narrative either from them ditching RED after 2077.

If it makes development more streamlined with more access to better support via Epic I'd say its a win.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Right? I don't think Geralt or whoever is suddenly going to start looking like a Gears character.

I know 360/PS3 gen had some samey looking games on UE but that hasn't rly been an issue on 4, no?

I'm not seeing the sky is falling narrative either from them ditching RED after 2077.

If it makes development more streamlined with more access to better support via Epic I'd say its a win.
UE4 never entirely escaped the samey look issue that 3 had, not nearly as prominent when a studio puts in the work to change the look but there's often tell-tale signs. Issues like UE stutter feel predictable too

Last edited:

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like I see this a lot when it comes to unreal too. I guess folks don't realize that was just the art style in vogue at the time. Engines don't determine that everyone should look like Marcus Fenix. Some great examples of some wildly different UE3 games: Bioshock Infinite, Batman Arkham Knight, the Borderlands games, Dishonored, Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat 10 and 11 Mass Effect 1-3, the x-com games, which all run on UE3 and all look wildly different than the ps3/360 "everything is brown and everyone only works out their shoulders" games. Arkham Knight and the MK/Injustice games are perfect examples too because I would describe those first two Batman games, Injustice 1 and MK9 as having that very brown, very shoulder-heavy art style, only to completely change it while staying on UE3 between sequels

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Honestly, they didn't say, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was because of the technical bottlenecks they encountered while working on Cyberpunk 2077 using their REDengine. I'm sad for all the artists and programmers who helped making their internal engine through sweat, blood and tears.
The technical issues with RED Engine were due to crunch and rushed development, not because the engine is lacking.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The technical issues with RED Engine were due to crunch and rushed development, not because the engine is lacking.
According to the former dev, crunch and rushed development led to the engine being lacking. After that happening twice, one can see it being an easy decision to say "fuck that" and using UE5

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
According to the former dev, crunch and rushed development led to the engine being lacking. After that happening twice, one can see it being an easy decision to say "fuck that" and using UE5
I think there is still a distinction to be made here. RED engine was also re written for Cyberpunk. I think CDPR retooling their engine for every game and rushing development is a bad mix. And they seemed to have realized that now.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Not to mention with the current shortage and struggle to hire developers, Unreal Engine lowers the barrier of entry for a lot of devs.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Am I the only one who wants a "create your own Witcher" approach?
If the story isn't about Gerald or Ciri as the main character, then I wouldn't be against it. Of course the character should still be voiced and meaningful.
Baffling to me that they even dare to announce it this early.

A dev studio is only as good as their last game. Wake me up when there is a finished product that is actually good
They don't want to wake you up. They want to wake devs up, so they join the team. Games are announced early for that reason every now and then.

School of the cat, I am horrified at that medallion.
Like a lawyer once said

The medallion is a Lynx.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Yoshi's Crafted World
Kingdom Hearts 3
Hellbalde Senua's Scacrifice
No More Heroes III
Paragon
Octopath Traveler
ABZU

just to name a few

UE gAmEz lOok tHe sAmE.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
The argument in favor of something like the RED engine is that it can be explicitly tailored to the game's needs, whereas UE5 will impose some architecture restrictions due to be a general use engine. If CDPR were constantly throwing out their work, and then crunching to get tech features in, they probably weren't fully reaping the benefit of an in-house engine, so this move makes sense. Whatever drawbacks of UE5 that come to light, CDPR will inherit those drawbacks, but they'll also be benefiting from Epic's dedicated support of the engine, and the announcement makes their relationship sound like that support goes beyond simply having a rep at Epic to field questions.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
I am having a blast with Cyberpunk, Thronebreaker was great and Witcher 3 is one of my all time favs'.
I will be looking foward to CDPR's next game.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Density, vertical space, AI, etc. They struggled with that. When it's all 1-2 stories in Witcher they haven't had a ton of issues.

To do that right is expensive. Rockstar basically bets the farm each time they do what is it now, a game every 6 years?

Exactly. Rockstar games are always built on top of each other and always sets the benchmark when they come out. They are on a league of their own when it comes to world simulation. I'd even say the comparison is unfair.

The argument in favor of something like the RED engine is that it can be explicitly tailored to the game's needs, whereas UE5 will impose some architecture restrictions due to be a general use engine. If CDPR were constantly throwing out their work, and then crunching to get tech features in, they probably weren't fully reaping the benefit of an in-house engine, so this move makes sense. Whatever drawbacks of UE5 that come to light, CDPR will inherit those drawbacks, but they'll also be benefiting from Epic's dedicated support of the engine, and the announcement makes their relationship sound like that support goes beyond simply having a rep at Epic to field questions.

It seems CP2077 really showed them that implementing systems that gamers take for granted nowadays is not such a easy task.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017