• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
www.huffpost.com

Celebs Call Out Rise In Hate Crimes Against Asian Americans Amid Pandemic

Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu and Gemma Chan want the public, authorities and the media to pay more attention to anti-Asian attacks related to COVID-19.

Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu and Gemma Chan are calling out the rise in anti-Asian hate crimes amid the pandemic and demanding that law enforcement, the media and the American public not ignore them.
Speaking in an interview on MSNBC on Sunday, Wu pointed to an increase in racist, verbal and physical assaults reported by Asian Americans nationwide since the COVID-19 pandemic began, saying, "We're not going to take this anymore."
Dae Kim noted that Asian elders have been particularly hard-hit, as older people with health conditions are at higher risk of severe cases of coronavirus and, with the spate of anti-Asian attacks, older Asian Americans are even more "scared to go out."

"It just makes our community fearful," Dae Kim told MSNBC, "and it actually silences the community."
Last week, Dae Kim and Wu offered a $25,000 reward to anyone who had information on the case of a 91-year-old man who was violently shoved to the ground in the Chinatown neighborhood of Oakland, California, in late January.

Gemma Chan shared a video on Twitter from activist Amanda Nguyen highlighting other recent attacks on Asians across the country, including one of an 84-year-old Thai man shoved and killed in San Francisco late last month. Chan lamented that "too often these attacks are ignored."

Thankfully me and others I know haven't been victims of violence. But the increasing number of attacks against Asian-Americans because of the pandemic (especially the elderly) is pretty fucked up, and I'm glad Daniel Dae Kim and others are bringing attention to this.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Era when a poc commits a crime against another poc

You sorta hijacked the thread a bit with this.

I remember when there was a thread for the nyc attack https://www.resetera.com/threads/wh...s-and-ignorant-attacks-against-asians.171219/ crazy that was 9 months ago. But uh... i understand the sentiment from asian era toward era. It certainly isn't what you would expect. Speaking for myself, i clicked read/and watched the op/instagram. Then was scrolling down to post and saw this call-out. Casting this as POC vs POC, sorta goes against the #remember tags where the first one is a man beaten to death by white people. The NYC post iirc was a black person attacking an asian woman.

We're all on the same team here. As far as minorities in this country.

on topic though;

This is why Trump needs to be responsible for peddling in dog whistle/bullhorns with "CHINA VIRUS" he knew what he was doing. We need RICO like laws for this type of shit. It was pretty much a cause and effect in realtime, with a culture that has a long history with anti-asian sentiment in the USA.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had no doubt this would happen, I remember hearing similar shit like this after 9/11. Absolutely horrible and pointless; but idiots wanna lay the blame.

That video is terrible... I can't believe people have this kinda hate for strangers. I don't understand what shitheads think it's going to accomplish...

Anyone who sees it, always speak against it.

Nesotenso

Oct 26, 2017
What would possess someone to do that? Reminds me of that knock out game shit that was happening worldwide a few years back.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm commenting to keep this thread floated in the hopes that someone will notice and take the time to listen & process what's being said.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
People stupid and shitheads. I can never imagine hating someone because of their race, gender etc....

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
My friend in the Bay Area sends me a few Citizen App notices about attacks on elderly Asian people a week. It's horrible.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I... don't know why the race of the people committing assault are supposed to matter in this context? Racism and violence against Asian Americans is wrong and America doesn't care? There has been a huge uptick in hate crimes against Asian Americans in the past year. The advice we've been given, and that we give each other, is hey, watch out for each other, watch out for your elders, try to minimize any danger by not going out alone, etc.

Fallen Hero

Oct 29, 2017
We were assigned to read this book in an English elective class in college that focused on young adult literature and it was literally the first time I've ever truly thought about discrimination against Asians (and I'm Asian)! It really opened my eyes.

220px-GeneYang-AmericanBornChinese-cover.jpg

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My mom has gotten some trash commentary and verbal confrontations completely unprovoked back in my hometown and she's an elderly Korean lady who lives alone, in a pretty deep red county of my state. I really worry about her safety a lot. This has got to stop.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
My mom has gotten some trash commentary and verbal confrontations completely unprovoked back in my hometown and she's an elderly Korean lady who lives alone, in a pretty deep red county of my state. I really worry about her safety a lot. This has got to stop.

You should get her a dog , and maybe some mace. Even a little yapping one makes enough noise to at least wake her up if anything caught her off guard. So she doesn't have to be alone.. We watched a coup happen, folks are insane right now. Especially with the financial situation for many putting them in fuck-it mode.

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember earlier last year when I went to the post office and this lady in front of me was ranting about the Chinese Virus.

Shit sickened me, and I told a lot of my Asian American friends to stay the fuck out of that particular area (it was extra racist in general), but honestly that's not nearly enough.

The way that the former administration and media has linked this pandemic to a subset of people will be hard to extricate over the next couple of years unless they do better.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It's disgusting that these attacks and the racism goes, largely, unreported and ignored. All forms of racism are wrong. Asian-American racism is often ignored due to the Model Minority Myth. We have to do better for those affected by this.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is such a shame that it seems to be "accepted". What a disgrace. Just like always, the people who have nothing to do with the newest issues are the ones getting blamed. Humanity is trash.

I hope they catch the pos who pushed that man. What a psycho.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Also some more incidents:

www.vice.com

Asian Americans Are Calling on Allies in Response to a Wave of Violence

Three recent attacks of senior citizens show the continued rise of anti-Asian racism during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Our family has endured multiple verbal Anti-Asian attacks since the beginning of the pandemic...this time it was fatal," Ratanapakdee's family wrote in a Gofundme campaign. "Racism has once again proven deadly." In recent weeks, elders in particular have been the target of racialized violence. On January 31, an assailant forcefully pushed a 91-year-old Asian man to the ground in Oakland's Chinatown, followed by two more victims. (There have been more than 20 robberies and assaults in Oakland's Chinatown in recent weeks, often targeting women and senior citizens, according to ABC7.) On February 3, a still-unidentified attacker slashed Noel Quintana, a 61-year-old Filipino man, across the face during a subway ride in Manhattan. On the same day, assailants assaulted and robbed a 64-year-old Asian woman in San Jose as she left a bank.

Actions against Asian elders aren't isolated to the past month: In April, a teenage girl hit a 51-year-old Asian woman on a bus in The Bronx while blaming her for the COVID-19 pandemic, and in July, two men in Brooklyn slapped an 89-year-old Asian woman in the face and then set her clothes on fire, leading to rallies and the creation of the #TheyCantBurnUsAll movement.

More than 2,100 hate incidents targeting Asian Americans and related to COVID-19 were reported nationwide between March and June of 2020, according to the Stop AAPI Hate reporting center.

As Nguyen explained, an essential step for allies and the country as a whole is to break the silence surrounding the current rise in racism and to end the apathy. "Silence erases our humanity," Nguyen said. "There is a new Asian American movement emerging and we are not going to be silent anymore. We are not your model minority. We are human and we deserve equal dignity, so stop killing us."

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It is such a shame that it seems to be "accepted". What a disgrace. Just like always, the people who have nothing to do with the newest issues are the ones getting blamed. Humanity is trash.

I hope they catch the pos who pushed that man. What a psycho.

They caught him after the 30k reward. Public defender is claiming not-guilty to murder currently. An open hand push doesn't = murder? is the defense. But as I know the way it goes in the legal system... murder is always hard to prove. Unless you're a POC.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
People at our local coffee shop had anti-mask protestors harass them afew weeks back, including one of the baristas, an Asian woman, who knows us by name and we chat with every day. They hurled a bunch of racist shit at her.

It's fucking grotesque.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's not surprising, given how often a certain someone was using the phrase "China virus" for the past year. People want someone to blame and attack, even if it's senseless. Something similar happened after 9/11.

It's not right and it's good that it's getting called out.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
It's disgusting. There's a nice old Chinese couple that sell fish in my area, and they tend to get a lot of shit from the locals ever since covid hit. I can't imagine how they feel going through this nonsense, especially at their age. I agree that the media needs to cover more of racism that's happening against the Asian community. It also seems like a lot of the general public is ok with this kind of behavior, which is fucked up.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
nextshark.com

Couple With 2-Year-Old Child Shot, Robbed in Downtown LA in Broad Daylight

A man sustained a gunshot wound and a laceration to his head after a brutal encounter with robbers in downtown Los Angeles last week. The incident, which was caught on surveillance video, occurred near 7th and Hill Streets after 3 p.m. on Feb. 4.

Four days ago.

Gotta be careful. My husband thinks I'm crazy paranoid but there's so much crime against Asian Americans with us being supposedly easy targets that I'm definitely 100000x more careful now than ever.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I think we do need to be making some noise on the matter. These actors calling out the issue is a start, but we need protests for Asian Americans just like we needed protests for black and latinx people. Not sure if there's a organized BLM equivalent for Asian and Pacific Islanders, but it's definitely something that needs to happen if there isn't.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
They caught him after the 30k reward. Public defender is claiming not-guilty to murder currently. An open hand push doesn't = murder? is the defense. But as I know the way it goes in the legal system... murder is always hard to prove. Unless you're a POC.

The assailant that committed the crime on the 3 elders in oakland had actually been in jail the day after the crime was committed for something else, that's who the 30k reward was for.

The assailant that pushed the elderly thai man in SF that ended in death was the one that pleaded not guilty

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Racism of any kind is unacceptable, and this stuff is often overlooked. I think the fact that Asian Americans are not as large a group as black people or Latinos makes their discrimination less visible in the public eye.
Real talk, can everyone PLEASE stop calling BLACK people POCs... holy shit, that bothers me.

I don't get the problem....you think black people are not included in POC? The term just means nonwhites.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
nextshark.com

Couple With 2-Year-Old Child Shot, Robbed in Downtown LA in Broad Daylight

A man sustained a gunshot wound and a laceration to his head after a brutal encounter with robbers in downtown Los Angeles last week. The incident, which was caught on surveillance video, occurred near 7th and Hill Streets after 3 p.m. on Feb. 4.

Four days ago.

Gotta be careful. My husband thinks I'm crazy paranoid but there's so much crime against Asian Americans with us being supposedly easy targets that I'm definitely 100000x more careful now than ever.
A bunch of Asian stereotypes about how they're rich and carry a lot of cash around does not help either.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I think we do need to be making some noise on the matter. These actors calling out the issue is a start, but we need protests for Asian Americans just like we needed protests for black and latinx people. Not sure if there's a organized BLM equivalent for Asian and Pacific Islanders, but it's definitely something that needs to happen if there isn't.

There are. No one pays much attention. Asian Americans are like 5% or 6% of the country. Not only that, a lot of people have the idea that it's not so bad for Asian Americans because <stereotypes>.

A bunch of Asian stereotypes about how they're rich and carry a lot of cash around does not help either.

Yep.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Racism of any kind is unacceptable, and this stuff is often overlooked. I think the fact that Asian Americans are not as large a group as black people or Latinos makes their discrimination less visible in the public eye.

I don't get the problem....you think black people are not included in POC? The term just means nonwhites.

I'm black. I'm tired of the term POC as a catch all. I know what the term is.

read or listen to this.

www.npr.org

Is It Time To Say R.I.P. To 'POC'? : Code Switch

Suffice it to say, we use the term "POC" a lot on Code Switch. But critiques of the initialism — and the popularization of the term "BIPOC" — caused us to ask: Should we retire POC? Or is there use in it yet?

or read this:

www.gq.com

The Phrase “People of Color” Needs to Die

It was once a useful way to signal collective struggle against racism. Now it's an empty marketing slogan.

Oct 26, 2017
It's fucked up that this is happening. In a way it's America's racist anti-China stance taken to its extreme. But of course, racists are dragging asians of all ethnicities into it cause it isn't about some speciic background but what a person looks like. Shit's fucked.

We have to hold people we know accountable if they engage in this prejudiced behavior.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
it's important to bring this to light. It fell by the news cycle wayside after the initial COVID-19 break last Feb.

Obv if you aren't in the affected group you probably going to not really notice it.

I'm black. I'm tired of the term POC as a catch all. I know what the term is.
yeah I ain't a fan of BIPOC/POC. don't even include us to be honest.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There are. No one pays much attention. Asian Americans are like 5% or 6% of the country. Not only that, a lot of people have the idea that it's not so bad for Asian Americans because <stereotypes>.

Yep.
The model minority bullshit rears its head.

They definitely need to highlight this stuff more; daily since that's necessary.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I struggle to see what's hard about not being a fucking racist, but when you see how unchecked racist sentiments are through media outlets especially in the last 4 years I'm never surprised that it continues to be a problem.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Perhaps blind identity politics are ruining the Left after all... Based off this thread...

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Why are you guys so hung up on the fact that this guy happened to be black? My post was about the fact that when a hate crime happens that isn't committed by a white person people are seemingly reluctant to condemn it.

Topic wasn't up for even 10 minutes before you posted that bullshit. All forms of racism are bad, including that sly form of it. Nothing in the title, opening post, or even the article even pushed that narrative.

Jul 4, 2018
Worth reading the full article but reported from today that the Bay Area is setting up a group to deal with Asian hate crimes

(CNN)Several unprovoked attacks on elderly Asian Americans, including at least three in the Bay Area captured in disturbing videos in recent days, have raised concerns about anti-Asian bias related to the Covid-19 pandemic.

At a news conference in Oakland's Chinatown on Monday, Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley announced the creation of a special response unit focused on crimes against Asians, and particularly older Asians.

"The rapid increase in criminal acts targeted against members of the Asian community, particularly Chinese Americans, who live and work in Alameda County is intolerable," she said.

The new unit stems from two similar attacks in northern California last week as well as a spate of crime in Oakland's Chinatown.
Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/asian-american-attacks-bay-area/index.html

Also on another note awful that this is all going down right before CNY.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Worth reading the full article but reported from today that the Bay Area is setting up a group to deal with Asian hate crimes

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/08/us/asian-american-attacks-bay-area/index.html

Also on another note awful that this is all going down right before CNY.

I mean if anything Lunar New Year probably makes it worse due to more people being out, getting cash, etc.

I'm going to be venmo-ing all my red envelopes this year thanks to COVID.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Also some more incidents:

www.vice.com

Asian Americans Are Calling on Allies in Response to a Wave of Violence

Three recent attacks of senior citizens show the continued rise of anti-Asian racism during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Actions against Asian elders aren't isolated to the past month: In April, a teenage girl hit a 51-year-old Asian woman on a bus in The Bronx while blaming her for the COVID-19 pandemic, and in July, two men in Brooklyn slapped an 89-year-old Asian woman in the face and then set her clothes on fire, leading to rallies and the creation of the #TheyCantBurnUsAll movement.

This is extremely fucked up. Especially despicable attacking people less able to defend themselves.