• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I've been collecting strawberries, but I'm confused about the OT title. What is "Straw-belay" referencing? Unless is a weird spoiler I haven't encountered yet..

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
The game feels like it was made to be played on an analog stick.

Why would you want to play this game with a d-pad?

Well, I only watched a video of it on the eshop and it seems to me that it plays like a pretty standard 2d platformer, so why wouldn't I play it with a d-pad which gives me way more precision? But your answers give me confidence it's playable with the analog stick just fine.

It works perfectly well with the joycon buttons. Honestly it might be better for this game than a true d-pad, because you can't slip and move in the wrong direction. Either press both buttons or don't. I haven't tried with the pro controller yet though because I just want to play in handheld mode, so I might be full of shit

Thanks, anybody here who played it with a pro controller or a DS4 and can corroborate?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in chapter 4 and things are really slowing down for me. In the first three chapters I entered a room and pretty quickly I knew what I had to do, and it was just a matter of executing.

In chapter 4 I'm entering rooms and having no idea what the hell I'm supposed to do. I'm currently stuck with two different rooms I can access, but have no idea how to proceed. Staring at a room for minutes with no idea what to do sure does suck the fun out of the experience.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
The Joycon doesn't have a d-pad. It's got an analog stick and 4 buttons.

This game is truly meant to be played with the analog stick. If you're playing with anything else you're just making this already very difficult game even more difficult.
I tried playing with analog stick and hated it. It would work fine if there was a real dpad.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well, I only watched a video of it on the eshop and it seems to me that it plays like a pretty standard 2d platformer, so why wouldn't I play it with a d-pad which gives me way more precision? But your answers give me confidence it's playable with the analog stick just fine.

Thanks, anybody here who played it with a pro controller or a DS4 and can corroborate?
I've personally always played these sort of games with a dpad. Have no idea how anyone can do differently tbh. Don't own a Switch yet, so I can't speak for that platform. Playing on a DS4 has been pretty sublime so far.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
Damn this game is amazing. Got it and played it almost the entire evening lol. Haven't played one of these since Super Meat Boy and this game is better in every way. Highly recommended.

Oct 25, 2017
So far, playing with a variety of means for about 90 minutes...

Pro Analog Stick > Joy Con D-Pad > Joy Con Analog Stick > (Tape Fixed) D-Pad

Deleted member 18568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who actively hates/doesn't have time for endless Roguelike repetition horseshit (life's too short) I'm super happy they included such thoughtfully customized difficulty options.

Some levels you can just tell have been under-designed, and it's great frankly to just switch on endless boost to fly around, explore and move onto the next area before chalking it back down.

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
I've personally always played these sort of games with a dpad. Have no idea how anyone can do differently tbh. Don't own a Switch yet, so I can't speak for that platform. Playing on a DS4 has been pretty sublime so far.

I really wish this game had a Vita version also available, I wouldn't have any doubt on where to play it, then. :)

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
It was a really amazing game.
I would also had "The End is Nigh" to the list of high precision platformers that are really good.

It seems Celeste is having more luck than this two gems since it seems to have more spotlight and hype around it.

Was thinking about getting this on Switch, but I think I already have enough super-hard platformers on there (End is Nigh, Slime-San), so I think PS4 wins out this time. Not to mention the 10% discount doesn't hurt either. Here's to hoping this Platinum is at least attainable compared to SMB. :P

Worth picking up if you have not finished End is Nigh yet? At
The Future!

Also how does it compare difficulty wise to that game?

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Worth picking up if you have not finished End is Nigh yet? At
The Future!
I still haven't finished Nigh either, in the same place as you. Those levels are beyond tough, plus with the new "mechanic" I feel I am at the point where I cannot just pick up and knock out a few screens, so I kinda took a break from it before I go all-in to finish it.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
h2a5Zrm_d.jpg

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting it on PC, but would probably have use the analog stick as I only have an old-ass 360 controller with its terribad D-Pad (really great controller otherwise). Not sure if it's a great idea, though I remember playing Super Meat Boy with the analog stick and that worked great.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting it on PC, but would probably have use the analog stick as I only have an old-ass 360 controller with its terribad D-Pad (really great controller otherwise). Not sure if it's a great idea, though I remember playing Super Meat Boy with the analog stick and that worked great.

this game feels lovely with the analog stick tbh

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loving this game so far on Switch. Not sure how I feel about the memes and pop references tho. Using the stick to diagonally dash makes me misfire sometimes.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Could I get a hint on the chapter 2 crystal heart?

Based on the poem I'm assuming I have to go there while in the dream state. (Before the "awake" scene starts?) But how???

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
Could I get a hint on the chapter 2 crystal heart?

Based on the poem I'm assuming I have to go there while in the dream state. (Before the "awake" scene starts?) But how???

There are instructions and even a video back a page or two in this thread. It involves using the dash recharge that is supplied when a screen transitions. Use this recharge to navigate up the wall above the first screen (with the fire and statue) by hoping back and forth from the second screen to the right.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There are instructions and even a video back a page or two in this thread. It involves using the dash recharge that is supplied when a screen transitions. Use this recharge to navigate up the wall above the first screen with the fire/statue and the second screen to the right.
ahhh, thanks! i should have figured this out since i just used the same trick to get a strawberry i had missed in chapter 3!

edit: just did it! god that is genius!

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to get the heart in chapter 4? All I see that could help is a white block that I have no idea what to do with.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really worried this is going to get buried under the big releases today. This deserves recognition just as much as the other two big releases.

Same for Iconoclasts, really.

Hi Era Celeste players! How long is this game? This game looks cool so I want to buy this game but lose interest in games when they run in the longer side. Thanks!
8ish hours for the story, 20 or so for everything.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Played it with the analog stick yesterday, tried Joy con d-pad today.

I think I actually like the d-pad. You can be very precise about whether you're dashing straight or at a diagonal.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I still haven't finished Nigh either, in the same place as you. Those levels are beyond tough, plus with the new "mechanic" I feel I am at the point where I cannot just pick up and knock out a few screens, so I kinda took a break from it before I go all-in to finish it.

Yah at this point just getting
Tumors for a few extra lives
here and there. I do appreciate that the game is mechanically great so when you die its your fault....it just is insane difficulty. Probably will pick up Celeste this weekend for a change of pace. I hear B side gets tough, but first few A side areas should be easier that what I have been seeing in End is Nigh recently.

Edit: Thanks for the response!

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to get the heart in chapter 4? All I see that could help is a white block that I have no idea what to do with.

Okay, I figured it out sort of
I just jumped on top of the white block in the room and spammed down dash for a minute and then I fell through, and I could walk on the back ground up to it.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Okay, I figured it out sort of
I just jumped on top of the white block in the room and spammed down dash for a minute and then I fell through, and I could walk on the back ground up to it.
Fuck me, I was coming here asking for help on this heart... Cheers! That was pretty interesting.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Winged strawberries fly away if you dash. You need to get to the strawberry without dashing.

Also you can still get them while they fly upward, which is important to know for later.
One of the things I love about this game is that *every* single mechanic gets use at some point, no matter how obscure it seems at first.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys I think this game is potentially a masterpiece.

Like, it might actually be one of the best platformers I've ever played.