• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I expected In-N-Out to be listed, and I understand to a degree. However, it's a consistent high quality, and most importantly cheap meal-relatively speaking in comparison to other fast food places-especially burgers- that tastes good. The problem is when people hype it up they aren't always leading with it being "affordable" (unless it's being compared to Five Guys) because that isn't that an exciting of bullet point. However, that's more important now to even point out because of how every other fast food place is raising their prices so much. But if you've been around one for a long time, it's just a really good and consistent meal.

Jul 1, 2020
The thing I will say for Five Guys is that the only thing that goes in their fryer is potatoes and that is a rarity among chains so if you have celiac disease/NCGS or a wheat allergy the fries there are more likely than not safe to eat obviously as long as you also don't have a peanut allergy.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
In N Out. It's aggressively average and, at least in AZ, the lines are always 15-20 cars long around lunch and dinner time. I don't get it.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Hype and Dunkin don't go together. Their donuts are nothing special. The grocery store up the street from me has better baked goods than Dunkin and that's not saying much.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Its kind of hard for me to give an honest answer since it feels like people shit on every fast food chain in equal parts. lol

I guess the closest thing that comes to mind was I was underwhelmed my first time going to Shake Shack. It wasn't bad but it was about as comparable to Five Guys.

All of them. Fast food culture weirds me out.

Pretty much honestly. I feel like when you are going to get fastfood you know what you're about to be picking up.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Had Red Lobster once and it was pretty underwhelming. The biscuits are also too much filler.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, definitely agree. I've had it a handful of times and every time it's the blandest food I've ever had. Just go to a regular Chinese-style fast food restaurant. I don't understand how Panda Express is still around and popular to be honest.

100%. It's trash tier food. And there are usually a bunch of Chinese-style restaurants that are surrounding these places that are without a doubt better.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
all of them. hype, that is. if you like fast food and have preferences, me too. but actual hype and how the internet will have debates over them forever. not into it.

idiotheart

Apr 23, 2018
In N Out. It's aggressively average and, at least in AZ, the lines are always 15-20 cars long around lunch and dinner time. I don't get it.

Yeah same. The food is fine, solid burger and fries. Add in the context of the often packed inside and long line outside, and it's just no worth it.

For me it's a local chain restaurant in Northeast TN called Pal's. It's generally beloved, but I just don't really enjoy any of their food very much. They have blazing quick service though, I'll give them that.

SinOfHeart

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
In-N-Out.

Had it once during a short stint where I wasn't vegetarian, and it was very whatever (certainly didn't convince me to not go back to being vegetarian).

They have literally nothing to speak of as far as vegetarian options, so I have no real reason to go back. One time when I was living in CA and my dad visited he really wanted to go to try it, but the line was out the door and around the side of the building so we just went somewhere else (which didn't bother me since we could go some place I could actually order something).

Oct 31, 2017
Dishoom-Covent-Garden-outside.jpg-2.webp

Dishoom in the UK. There are far better places to eat Desi dishes at.

Came to post DIshoom. When I see long queues for it in London it blows my mind as there are so many better places.

Rezzzz

Aug 7, 2023
Chipotle, might as well go to an authentic hole in the wall or a food truck with those prices.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Chick-fil-A - I really don't understand it. It's bland and sloppy.
In-N-Out - I mean they're not BAD burgers but the culture around it is baffling
Five Guys - I've never not had a meal from them that didn't look and taste like a horse sat on it

Panda Express

It's a sorry imitation of Chinese food, imo
If anyone goes to Panda for "Chinese food" they've got serious problems. You go to Panda when you specifically want that trash-ass orange chicken.

fwpx

Oct 26, 2017
Burger king has become aggressively bad lately. They're even closing some of them in my area.

In-N-Out is the most overrated fast food of all time.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
Most of them? I can't think of many (if any) that are worth flipping your shit over. They're fine/decent at best.

The small, locally owned places are almost always where you're going to get something uniquely good and worth dragging someone to. The no-name taqueria inside the gas station is almost always going to beat any fast food or fast-casual chain out there. A basic cheeseburger at a sketchy dive bar is almost always going to be better than some place with a mascot selling combo meals.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
As a New Englander, Dunkins coffee sucks. Munchkins are good though, and I think the breakfast sandwiches are decent in a pinch.

I thought Chick-fil-A was incredibly underwhelming the few times I've tried it.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Jersey Mikes.

I mean I appreciate the overall freshness - but the food is just bland as hell. No flavor at all.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
In n Out is will never not be on my garbage list. I had to eat it every time anyone came to visit and I hated it more each time. The fries are a crime against nature.

Raising Cane's is bland as hell. It feels like meme food, but I guess people really like it? I shouldn't want to season your chicken if you're a fast food place.

Whipwhopper

Oct 7, 2020
omg In and Out. It's not like it's the worst burger in the world, but if there's a more than 10 minute line up to get one, go somewhere else

In N Out's definitely overhyped, but it's at least cheap still (and the well done fries fix the crappy fry issue for me). I like Five Guy's but it's like damn near $30 for 2 burgers and a fry compared to the $15 for 2 burgers and 2 fries at In N Out

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
once you visit a Restaurant Depot store, you'll understand you're eating premade wholesale warmed up shit at Chili's, applebees, friendlies, olive garden and any of those middle class fancy joints

just go to one, it's free to browse but you'll need a commercial permit to actually buy

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Raising Cane's is fine, but it's pretty mediocre and I do not understand why people line up for what is ultimately just ok at best

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
Shake Shack with out a doubt.

A new one opened up nearby and my family and I went to try it between kid soccer games. It wasn't the best experience trying to get the food, the wait seemed really weird especially with their weird drive thru method they have set up. The fries seemed like frozen stuff from the grocery store and I found the burger to taste like just a charred biscuit. The toppings also were entirely missable to me.

Five Guys is everything that I hear people claim Shake Shack is. Good burgers and good fries and for a while has been a much cheaper price in my area.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In N Out's definitely overhyped, but it's at least cheap still (and the well done fries fix the crappy fry issue for me). I like Five Guy's but it's like damn near $30 for 2 burgers and a fry compared to the $15 for 2 burgers and 2 fries at In N Out
They aren't really in comparable categories. Five Guys is expensive, sure, but it isn't really fast food. A better comparison would be to Culver's.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
In N Out

It's fine. Pretty good, even. It is, certainly, very competitively priced. But it has nowhere near the meatiness of Shake Shack, the abundance of Five Guys (even if it's 1/5th the price), or even, frankly, the consistency of McDonalds. Pretty good, in my summation. Yet people lose their minds for it. The secret menu is still limited by the fact that, guess what, I might want something that isn't just variations of beef and cheese; there's always way, way, way too much of a line (+30 minutes sometimes!), and good lord, those fries.

Good lord those fries.

These fries are the worst food I have ever had from any sort of food establishment. Simultaneously curiously flaccid and pointless crispy in ways that barely make sense for a fry, these things go way past merely being the La Croix of edible items. Someone cut cardboard into strips and had a sentient potato yell at them. They are sadness made ostensibly edible, an affront to God and the broader upon the concept of what it means to "eat" "food". No amount of asking for "well done" or slathering with garbage will undo the moral injury brought upon by In N Out fries. I've heard the CEO smugly say "well people are still lining up hur hur hur" as if more people wouldn't be getting fries too if they weren't serving the culinary world's 8th deadly sin. Jesus Christ these things are absolutely god awful and they cause me to question the fundamental character of people who claim to "enjoy" them. It's some sort of cosmic joke.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Shake Shack. Tastes like a Wendy's burger but at double the price. Shakes are also mid...despite the name.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how Arby's even exists

I get how Long John Silvers and Red Lobster exists, a lot of places in the country don't have sea food, so fast casual sea food makes sense in some places. But roast beef?

agreed about shake shack. Shake Shack in 2012 was Five Guys 2024 prices, in 2012. You'd pay like $22 for a burger fries drink.