• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Raising Canes is mid, and shouldn't exist in a world with Popeyes. I don't know why people like their fried chicken so unseasoned.

Five Guys makes absolutely no sense unless you're there adding every free topping you can imagine to your burger, and you legitimately want it that way. They're fine burgers, just insanely overpriced. Also their "fries" are potato wedges, and are outright just bad. A soggy oily mess, and too much of it.

I'll take this opportunity to defend In N Out from the haters. It's a perfect fast-food quality hamburger. And yeah, that's its own gene of hamburger. It's cheap, it's consistent, it's fresh. It puts other fast food burgers to shame when you're otherwise paying double the price for a fraction of the quality. Also, the fries are good too. The fries are freshly prepared with just the right about of crispness to them. They taste like potatoes dipped in hot oil. I'm not sure what people think are so offensive about them unless you're just used to that frozen taste.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I guess I also say In N Out and Chic Fil A

I mean, they're fine, but it's nothing to lose your mind over

Since I used to live in Ohio: Skyline Chili is fucking disgusting, what is wrong with Ohio

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
All of them tbh. Chains are generally what you settle for when you're in a rush, commuting, or tired. It's like Starbucks — you just want something convenient and consistent and that shouldn't be breaking your wallet.

I was a critic of In-N-Out for the longest time but once you're in Cali, you get it. It's relatively convenient, consistent, and cheap (and for Austinites, there was P.Terry's the local, not as good, semi-knock off).

Every fried chicken place is overrated. Most burger joints are overrated. Most pizza chains aren't that good. Taco Bell can be overrated, but it's carved a weird niche for itself (though it's pricey these days).

So to flip this on its head a bit, I'd say In-N-Out, Taco Bell, and maybe Potbelly are the few chains where I'd say the hype is generally worth it once you set your expectations accordingly.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
once you visit a Restaurant Depot store, you'll understand you're eating premade wholesale warmed up shit at Chili's, applebees, friendlies, olive garden and any of those middle class fancy joints

just go to one, it's free to browse but you'll need a commercial permit to actually buy
Don't have time with all my lambo shopping.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Hortons is treated like some Canadian national treasure, even though the food and coffee have been sub-par for at least a full decade, if not longer.
I worked at Tim Hortons (in the US) back in like.... 2003/4? And yeah the food and coffee then was significantly better than what they serve now. I last went there a few years ago and it was dreadful. Tried it again since some places can just have an off day, and the other location I went to was equally as bad so now I won't go back.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Raising Cane's makes me feel like people are insane for liking it that much. I would say that it's not bad, but it's not at all worth the long, slow-moving lines that seem to form at them. It was one of the first places I noticed to suffer from shrinkflation in my area during the pandemic too -- still the same prices but the chicken tenders were like 1/3 of the size and like 3/4 the quality that they used to be pre-pandemic. I understand there was supply issues for a bit, but it never rebounded either, and locally prices just went up further too. It wasn't even THAT good pre-pandemic either... It has just always tasted like pretty plain fried chicken tenders, fries, and coleslaw to me -- nothing about any of those recipes seems special and hit me as just stock-standard stuff. The texas toast is good but not on its own enough for me to really clamor after Cane's.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Raising Canes and Chic Fil A.

I legit do not like Raising Canes at all and don't get why anyone treats it like it's any good.

As for Chic Fil A, it's not bad or anything, but it's definitely not all that amazing either, plus there's the shitty politics behind it so that doesn't help.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
The Raising Cane hate is a little funny. To be honest, I don't think it is anything special either but when it was confined to the South people swore up and down it was fantastic and wished it would come to their area. Now that they are doing a national expansion everyone is like 'Meh'.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
From a UK perspective:

Popeye's - it just isn't all that, I'm guessing the US version is different
Pizza Express - just very sad pizzas and atmosphere, like a workplace pizza party but you're not getting paid to be there
Domino's - what is even the point in this place, no crisp, no crunch, cheese is sparse and doesn't hold flavour or melt in the way you'd want
Five Guys - get outta here with those prices
Greggs - utter garbage aside from the sausage rolls, which are very competitive. They knew their pie game was so weak they actually gave up on it. A pie shop, giving up on pies. Can't blame them either given the pastry they used

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
In-N-Out very mid and overhyped. It's perfectly fine, but nowhere near worthy the level of prestige it receives. I'd grab it if I were in a food desert and there was no line, but I've only ever seen it be like a 15-20 minute wait for a cheap perfectly average burger.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I think the appeal of Raising Cane's is its no nonsense menu - just fried chicken pretty much, and it's not amazing but they do stick with what they know

that said never seemed to me people go crazy over it like, say, chick fil a. it's just a successful chain

Oct 25, 2017
Chic Fil A. Never lived near one till a few years ago when one opened up nearby. First time I went was on a Sunday and it was closed lol. Had no idea these things weren't opened on Sunday. Went back a few days later and it was OK...nothing great. Wasn't worth the gas money going there IMO.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
In N Out was nothing special the two times I tried it. I first tried it in CA back in 2007 and then when it came to Texas, I finally tried it again. Was very mid for all the hype...

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Chic Fil A
Jollybee
Raising Canes

In N Out gets hype as the only place that sells fresh french fries. Everyone else has corn starch coated, momentarily fried and then flash frozen french fries. It's an entirely different vibe. The type of potatoes used isn't the best, but still.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I will not stand for Panda Express, or Raising Canes slander!!!! Just no!! Anyone who says canes is just ok has no clue what they are talking about!!!

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
McAlisters Deli. I've tried a few things from there with the hopes that something will be good, but it's all not great. I guess the baked potato is fine.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Raising Canes. I just don't get it. I guess there are a lot of people who want the blandest chicken they can get. Grocery store hot chicken has more flavor.

OTOH Dave's Hot Chicken is as advertised. You don't want heat? They got you covered. You want sweating hot? They got that too.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Popeyes. By and large American fast food chicken places aren't good but popeyes really takes the crown because it's ridiculously hyped up by people, especially online, as some great fast food chicken and in reality it's some of the blandest chicken I've ever eaten in my life.

I've been to multiple different ones as well over multiple years, it's not a "must be one place" issue, it's a consistent issue of bland as fuck chicken. Yes that includes the "spicy" chicken. I will never understand it, it honestly feels like some online based trolling psy-op to troll folks into buying shit food.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Defending Five Guys since I do love it, but can also see why the current prices make it not worth it anymore. The burgers were a step above standard fastfood but not quite a good dedicated sit down non chain burger shop, and prices fit between the two as well. Their Cajun Fries are also great.

While I still think their food is good the price means I'm going somewhere else unless I get a very specific craving.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I've never looked it up on the internet or anything to know if hype exists for it but I don't know a single person who has ate at Canes and said it was amazing or even above average. Incredibly average.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Tim Hortons is treated like some Canadian national treasure, even though the food and coffee have been sub-par for at least a full decade, if not longer.
It's been shit for quite a long time now, it's still tied to the canadian identity, but less and less people are going there, I hear about less and less people doing roll up now.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
For the price, I can't justify going to Five Guys when I could go to an actual sit down restaurant. Better than most fast food isn't quite enough.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
For the price, I can't justify going to Five Guys when I could go to an actual sit down restaurant.

Yeah this is my takeaway with Five Guys. The food is fine, and I appreciate they insulate my burger with way too many fries in a greasy ass bag. But the price makes the burger get an extra look and it ain't nothing special at that cost.

Oct 25, 2017
once you visit a Restaurant Depot store, you'll understand you're eating premade wholesale warmed up shit at Chili's, applebees, friendlies, olive garden and any of those middle class fancy joints

just go to one, it's free to browse but you'll need a commercial permit to actually buy

Nah, once you see the same food supplier truck going to every chain restaurant and you realize they all get the same shit as everyone else (unless that's what restaurant depot is? Or is it just an equipment store?)

I'd say Tim Horton's, like it's ok if there is nothing else but some people are addicted to it and say how great it is

Boston Pizza too, the food is so bland but they did have great drink promotions when watching games.......

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022
Possible hot-take, but chain restaurants are over-hated. Not saying they're all great, but most times when someone takes me to some hole-in-the-wall joint, I don't really find the food to be any better than what you'd get at a chain. I also hope my mom isn't an Era user because truth be told, I like restaurant food more than home cooking.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Nah, once you see the same food supplier truck going to every chain restaurant and you realize they all get the same shit as everyone else (unless that's what restaurant depot is? Or is it just an equipment store?)

I'd say Tim Horton's, like it's ok if there is nothing else but some people are addicted to it and say how great it is
it's costco for restaurants

you can get like a 50 pound box of cut fries, 100 pound box of wings, premade patties, large cartoons of buns, 20-30 pound containers of sauces. all different butcher brands and kinds. restaurants that want to skip supplier fees just go there and grab what they want. warm it, fry it, serve it and charge 4x the price they paid

my buddy with a local pizza joint has a card and i go with him to grab a 200 piece spicy chicken tender box. 29.99$

throw it in the air fryer and dip it on your favorite restaurant's bottled sauce from walmart and you're eating that exact food, exact taste for 1/4th the price

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
In-n-Out. It's just a burger
Yup, and don't forget about the awful fries.

I didn't even think it was possible for fresh made fries to be bad. In the 30 year I'd lived before trying In-N-Out Burger, I've had curly fries, seasoned fries, unseasoned fries, cooked from frozen fries, waffle fries, steak fries, shoestring fries, fresh made fair fries straight from the potato, crispy fries, soggy fries, potato wedges, and tater tots and all of them had been decent at the bare minimum.
But In-N-Out's fries are the first I've had that I genuinely dislike.

And nearly every time I drive by it (which is all the time since it's in the parking lot of my local grocery store), the drive-through line is at least 30+ minutes long.

I moved to San Diego from Seattle, and I really miss Seattle's cheap local burger place: Dick's. They're greasy little burgers and even greasier fries, but they were also delicious, cheap, and fast.

Last edited:

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
In N Out.

Their burgers are fine. Very much not worth the hype, but there's nothing outwardly wrong with them.

Their fries though…. Absolute trash tier. I don't get it because I can literally slice up a potato into fries, deep fry them, and the result is 500% better doing absolutely nothing special.

Like fries are impossible to mess up unless you over or undercook them. Even unsalted homemade fries are decent. In N Out fries don't seem to suffer from those problems, but how they get the cardboard texture and taste from fresh potatoes I'll never understand.

Heck, you can even bake French fries instead of frying them and the result is still worlds better. I imagine even microwaving raw potato slices would be better.

What is their secret to screwing up the most basic and foolproof thing?

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
I worked at Tim Hortons (in the US) back in like.... 2003/4? And yeah the food and coffee then was significantly better than what they serve now. I last went there a few years ago and it was dreadful. Tried it again since some places can just have an off day, and the other location I went to was equally as bad so now I won't go back.

In my area (SE Michigan) there are way too many Tim's and they have been slipping for the last few years. New and cheap looking stores are all over the place and the franchise owners seem to expect them to just print money. The food and coffee quality has been going down for years and people know it too. Neither Tim's or DD makes any baked goods in house, they just rewarm and glaze stuff from a central bakery. It's been blah for a long time. I heard the ones in Canada are better and that seemed true years back but I don't know now.

Before COVID there were a couple well-run (fast service and nice employees) places but all bets are off now.

It's been shit for quite a long time now, it's still tied to the canadian identity, but less and less people are going there, I hear about less and less people doing roll up now.

Last time I went the Roll Up To Win contest was running but it's an app now and not anything on the cups. I'm not installing an app for anyone just to play free medium coffee lottery.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Chick Fil A is the most thoroughly mediocre chicken I've had. Plus the company is run by absolute bellends.

Especially since I've just started cooking my own food and hardly ever go to any chains anymore, because it's always kind of disappointing in comparison. And I'm not that good of a cook.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Last time I went the Roll Up To Win contest was running but it's an app now and not anything on the cups. I'm not installing an app for anyone just to play free medium coffee lottery.
The app is also shit lol. It's so sluggish, and with the the most recent rewarding system where fucking everything gave you a "roll" and 90% of your rolls would do fucking nothing, you're stuck, rolling one at a time, each taking upwards of 30 seconds... It's not good.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Was going to say almost exactly this. To be fair, I don't think there's been any "hype" for a longggg time. I feel like it's closer to 20+ years since it was a quality chain.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I 100% agree with respect to their coffee being garbage, but my kids are obsessed with their fruit drinks and I haven't found a good replacement recipe yet to make them at home. That and my son uses Starbucks as the default "date" location so I guess it works for that.

Was going to say almost exactly this. To be fair, I don't think there's been any "hype" for a longggg time. I feel like it's closer to 20+ years since it was a quality chain.
Yeah, the only time we go to Tim's now is for my kids to collect the hockey cards for a few weeks until they sell out then we stop going again. That or if I need a coffee on the 401 and an En Route is the only option.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Raising Canes was really disappointing. Why the fuck does it take so long yall make only one thing lol. And it's bland and dry. If you need to drown your chicken in a sauce then it's not good. You fucked up.